✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Are you religious?

Ireentje

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am religious, Christian, but no bible-thumper. Church on weekends, in middle school i went to bible club because it was fun. I went to catholic church for the first four years of my life, but then we stopped going. My mom didn't push it on us because for all of her school life she went to all girls catholic schools.

but i do believe in god, or a higher being.

I personally am not fond of organized religion. I dont think its necessarily a good thing for society as a whole to belong to a difinitive religion or sect of a religion. I think religion should be looked at in more existential terms and people should think for themselves instead of being told what to do by a priest, pastor etc. If people looked at religion like this, i think the world would be a better place. A large amount of wars fought on this earth have been in the name of two clashing religious views. If each person interpreted religion and was tolerant of others' interpretation, there wouldnt be as much conflict. I know its probably a very naive statement but thats just my opinion.

No I am not religious and I think that there's just one step from that to fanaticism' date=' which is horrible.[/quote']

Agreed, i know a lot of people like that :disappointed:

I personally am not fond of organized religion. I dont think its necessarily a good thing for society as a whole to belong to a difinitive religion or sect of a religion. I think religion should be looked at in more existential terms and people should think for themselves instead of being told what to do by a priest' date=' pastor etc. If people looked at religion like this, i think the world would be a better place. A large amount of wars fought on this earth have been in the name of two clashing religious views. If each person interpreted religion and was tolerant of others' interpretation, there wouldnt be as much conflict. I know its probably a very naive statement but thats just my opinion.[/quote']

Agreed. I think religion is personal and should be kept that way. It only causes clashes and disagreements between people when brought into the public realm.

• 6 months later...
well i'm actually jewish. i'm not strongly religious or anything' date=' my family goes against the rules of not eating pork, and not mixing dairy with meat. and i don't go to shul, but my family still celebrates all the holidays and stuff. and my brother had a bar mitzvah :idea2: me and my sisters didn't though, its because it's more important that boys have one....sort of looked down upon if they don't i think.[/quote']

well... girls aren't suppose to have a bat mizva (there's no such thing, it was invented by reformic jews...) , so girls usually have a big birthday party at 12 (and boys have a bar mitzva at 13)... since my brother is one year older than me, we celebrated together, when i was 12 and he was 13...

it still felt like it was mostly aound him though :o :(

Sheesh. And if you would've had a bat mitzva' date=' what exactly would that be?[/quote']

nothing, it's just a party... when guys have bar mitsva it's called "aliyah latora", it means they go up to the Tora, or something, something with god, I don't really understand. But girls can't do that, so they just have a party :)

but there are some new flows of judaism where girls can go up to the tora... i didn't. I think it's really stupid..

I am a member of the Northern Cheyenne tribe (Native American). :indianchief:

I grew up outside of the reservation and tribal religion. Believe me, it was strange coming back every summer and trying to participate in various ceremonies. I do remember the feeling I got from sweatlodges, sundances, etc. "Talk" mentions how "they're talking in a language I don't speak". Everything was spoken in traditional Cheyenne, from beginning to end. I only understood English, so I faked what I could. Most of these rituals are highly guarded. I can only mention the feeling and emotion I received from these ceremonies. Imagine being close to a fire and watching it consume every bad and negative aspect about yourself being taken away. The whole time there is traditional Cheyenne songs being sung. The ceremonies would literally reach into your soul and rip out your bad spirits. Looking back, my parents reminded me that all of the prayers were about healing your close friends and family. My culture never taught that there were enemies, or to pray for evil against them.

I'm sorry but typing that made me burst into tears. Give your friends and family a hug and remind them that you love them. Listening to Coldplay gives me that same emotion of "being close to a fire and watching it consume every bad and negative aspect about yourself being taken away". :confused:

I can share a social song with you. Here is a song everyone can dance to no matter what your religion.

Intertribal (Randall Paskemin, 4:29)- "We hear the bells over there, dancers come out and dance to those bells."

Come out and dance Coldplaying members! You are all welcome in this circle.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=08QD5J1J

That was very interesting to read about since in school my class has just finished working about Native american history.

I don't really know why, but reading that reminds me of our very old Swedish traditions we have around midsummer, the feeling and atmosphere here around midsummer's Eve is great.