✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Are you religious?

Ireentje

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thnx. So what does a woman's bat mitzva involve? No circumcision I hope...

:lol: :lol: :lol: thats a bris, for boys :P

well ok, boys have baR mitzvahs, and girls have baT mitzvahs. its pretty much the same thing. they read from the torah, then we party :P its kind of manditory for boys, not girls though. did i already mention that? but its looked down upon if they don't have one (sort of)

woot im the only buddhist.

No you're not... Found yourself another one :D

But the more I go along, the more I find I'm a bit agnostic... In the sense that I believe there's something out there... not necessarily a higher being, but definitely a natural force that shapes things.

I still go with Buddhism coz that's something that saved me. I know it's pretty cliched (and I do tend to flinch at people who say a certain religion saved them) but it's the truth. I was a pretty messed up kid and was on my way to wasting life away until I found Buddhism (or maybe this religion found me)... Somehow, everything clicked into place and I found all the answers that I needed so desperately then. Of course I still don't have all the answers but that's ok... There'll always be Coldplay & Parachutes :rolleyes: :lol:

So it's Buddhism... For appearing in my life when I most needed it though I don't practice it as purely now. I guess by that definition, Coldplay's my 2nd 'religion'. Hey, why aren't they included? I'm pretty sure some agnostics would choose them :P

Im just wondering something. If people claim to be one religion but never practice it unless their in troubling times, isnt that kinda being superficial and greedy?

I just dont see the point in even being part of a religion if you can act like this. If you just practice it now and then, its pointless.

In my country, Catholic religion is prominent, and its getting completely forgotten by youth.

Im just wondering something. If people claim to be one religion but never practice it unless their in troubling times, isnt that kinda being superficial and greedy?

I just dont see the point in even being part of a religion if you can act like this. If you just practice it now and then, its pointless.

In my country, Catholic religion is prominent, and its getting completely forgotten by youth.

I have a slightly different viewpoint. Religion gives people a sense of belonging, another way for us to relate to one another. Everybody practices and believes their own individual form of religion, even if they belong to an organised religion and follow every rule / tenet set out... We still end up doing and believing different things from our fellow believers.

I think religion in general, if you do belong to one and believe in it that is, does indicate a certain way of thinking, and of doing things, which you can never really escape even if you don't exactly practice the tenets of the religion... I mean sure, a self-confessed believer of Christianity may not go to church or say prayers before meals, but that doesn't mean that he / she isn't God-fearing or humbled by the thought of a greater being out there in the Christian tradition. Similarly in Buddhism, even if you're not a vegan (i.e. still indirectly bring harm to other beings), that doesn't mean you don't try your best in other ways not to harm others...

In that sense I think, all of us who are spiritual carry a little bit of all the religions of the world with us, the only determining factor being which one got to us first or which one plays the most central role in our lives.