✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Fray

About A Girl

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started getting into the Fray after I heard they were coming to Philly and the tickets were only $20. haha Any band with cheap tickets and good music is amazing. :P

I haven't gotten their CD yet but listened to little parts of the song on their website. I think once a lot of people hear about them, they will become more mainstream.

i dont remember how i first heard of them.. but they were the openers when i went to see Ben Folds last year. they were good. and the lead singer had gotten engaged the night before :D

• 4 months later...

*BUMP* :D

I only want to say that The Fray is brilliant! 2 weeks ago I heard their song "Over My Head (Cable Car)" on the radio for the first time and I really liked it. A few days later I bought their album "How To Save A Life" and it's fantastic.

Personally, the best songs of their record are "Over My Head (Cable Car)", "How To Save A Life" and especially "Vienna". :nice:

photo_the-fray_profile.jpg

How To Save A Life! Totally love that song! :D

So true! :)

I especially like the chorus of this song...

"Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend

Somewhere along in the bitterness

And I would have stayed up with you all night

Had I known how to save a life"

But my favourite is definitely "Vienna". It's awesome!

"There's really no way to reach me

'Cause I'm already gone"

:cry:

• 2 weeks later...

The Fray are in Germany at the moment and they were just at N-Joy this evening! It was a great interview! They talked about how it is to be compared with Coldplay, how life's going in Denver and other things. All members were very smart. The best thing came at the end... They are touring through Germany at the begin of 2007 including one concert in Hamburg. :nice: I will definitely go to it.

I guess and I really hope that they're getting big in Germany. I often listen to "Over My Head" on the radio now and it's this week's best song on Pro7. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't think I was really keeping it alive !

Maybe I've been missing a longer time than I thought, then...!

Anyway, now we've changed of page, I'm gonna post my request again :wink: :

Hey guys... any possibility that someone re-upload the songs ? :)

The links aren't working anymore :(

Thanks !

I've not been missing that long... Have I :uhoh: ?

Yep, Tube, Bus, and all the London stuff ;)

Aww..i love your avatar..reminds me of my last holidays in London..it was a lovely time! And i sure love the tube..ahhah, that was the greatest part of London.. (at least almost :P) I also bought an umbrella with a picture of the tube on my first trip to England 1,5 years ago..i'm such a tourist :uhoh: :embarassed: bad bad me!

And yes..i also have heard some song from the Fray! and liked them a lot..but i really want new mp3's now..so pleasee..someone upload them : Puppyeyes:

Ohh saw The Fray last night in concert, and they really put on an excellent show!! They seem like really nice, personable kinda guys too. :P That always makes me enjoy a good concert that much more. :nice: There was plenty of audience interaction, and some really powerful singalong moments (especially at the very end when the audience finished up HTSAL without any instrumentals). I loved, loooved Heaven Forbid live. In fact, I think they pretty blew their own CD out of the water with their live performance. They sound a lot more rocky/edgy in person. Besides playing a good chunk of their CD, they played some new material, and a nice little rendition of The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby too. A great night! I'll post pics and videos later.

Oh goodness, I can't believe I've gone and done this...but I started an online forum for The Fray fans. :embarassed: The official board associated with thefray.net basically is a piece of crap. Since I just went to a gig, I headed over there to find multimedia, photos, etc., but I just couldn't stand it (I think cping.com has spoiled me!).

Anyway, I started a new board up: http://www.bestfreeforums.com/forums/intothefray.html

The forum format is kinda based off cping...just because, this works so well. Ian, hope you don't mind! :)

I don't expect tons of people to join....but I made it for a bit of fun. We'll see what happens, eh? :nice:

Thanks for the tips, Ian! :D (psst, do you like The Fray? You could join and be my first registered member)

I don't know much about the differences, but vbulletin I have to pay for though, I believe? :\ If I can't get anyone to join, then I'm not going to want to pay for my own host either (which I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to manage anyway!).

Anyone want to join to come chat with me over there? :P After a few days, my board is already starting to gather dust. Quelle tristesse!

Where have all the new rockers gone? Uh, to the top of the charts

fray-061123.jpg

There’s a quiet revolution going on in music, made all more surprising since it’s coming from the normally noisy world of rock.

While the media were snoozing, a rash of low-key guitar-based bands have wormed their way up the charts, to the point where such groups now dominate the nation’s download portals, leaving most hip-hop acts, and even many pop ones, in their sales wake.

Most music fans couldn’t pick the members of bands like Hinder and the Fray out of a lineup. But each boasts an album that just sailed past the million mark, with the momentum to move far more.

These Midwest-based-bands have also recently landed the two most downloaded songs in the country: Hinder with “Lips of an Angel” and the Fray with “How to Save a Life.”

At the same time, the faceless Kansas band Blue October has stealthily moved more than 600,000 copies of its latest CD, “Foiled.” And the critically abhorred act Nickelback continues to post spectacular figures for its “All the Right Reasons” CD, all without a peep from the press.

After 58 weeks, Nickelback’s disk remains in the top 20 of Billboard’s album chart, with sales closing in on 4 million. That’s the highest figure for any album on the Top 200 now. It’s also some 2.5 million more CDs than have been moved by the best-selling rap act this year (T.I.).

Rock albums have also been lingering on the charts longer of late than those of any other genre. A full 30 percent of the disks currently logging more than 25 weeks on Billboard’s Top 200 list belong to guitar-based bands. So far, Hinder’s CD, “Extreme Behavior,” has held on the list for 40 weeks and, if anything, is only picking up sales speed. Same with the Fray, which after 44 weeks is moving more units per week of “How to Save a Life” than it did six months ago.

So, why hasn’t the press paid ample heed to these cornfed bands?

To Joe Levy, executive editor of Rolling Stone, it’s partially a regional issue. “The rock press is, for the most part, based in New York, and the music business is mainly in L.A.,” he explains. “It’s been true for decades that bands which do better in the Midwest, like these, don’t get as much attention. That’s held true whether you’re talking about REO Speedwagon in the ‘70s, Journey in the ‘80s or Hinder now.”

According to radio analyst Sean Ross, acts like the Fray and Nickelback also get far less airtime in places like New York than in the middle of the country. To boot, Ross thinks the essential blandness of these bands lowers their media profile. “They’re not extreme enough for the hard-rock people and not hip enough for the underground people,” he says.

Doug Brod, editor of Spin, feels the problem has to do with these bands’ lack of originality. “They sound like a lot of other bands out there,” he says. “Hinder and Nickelback are like third-generation grunge bands. It’s a fake Candlebox, who were fake Pearl Jam. The Fray sounds like Coldplay, a far superior band with better songs and a better sound.”

Then there’s the hipness problem to consider. None of these groups came from any underground scene. They have no edge to their sound, or their personalities, so a hip magazine like Spin has no use for them. Rolling Stone has finally done a major Hinder feature, but only after the album entered the top 10.

If these groups don’t have press credibility behind them they still get plenty of TV exposure. All have appeared on the late-night talk shows. The Fray’s song “How to Save a Life” sold in key part through its prominent usage on “Grey’s Anatomy.”

Then again, having your song used mainly as background music only highlights the ironic anonymity of bands this huge. Brod thinks the groups shouldn’t mind their low profile. “If I were in a band that succeeded without the help of the national press, I would be stoked,” he says. “It’s more of an accomplishment.”

Levy agrees, at least in part. “If you can put 10 million dollars in the bank and can play to 17,000 adoring fans in an arena, what does it matter that 100 guys in glasses don’t really like your work?” he asks. “And, yet, it does matter. Performers are driven by the need for validation. They always want more.”

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/news/article/8060/where-have-all-the-new-rockers-gone-uh-to-the-top-of-the-charts/

• 2 weeks later...

I've saw them live in Austin last month.. GREAT BAND, any coldplay fan will like their music. Im also seeing them again with my gf in austin in feb. They mentioned during the first concert I went to that theyre already working on the next album due out in about a year from now.

I tend to agree with the article. But in the end, whether or not you get press coverage is secondary to SALES.

I downloaded the album last night, and it's alright. The title track is still my favorite, but I think this has the potential to grow on me. I think they can achieve success where Coldplay already has, if only on a smaller scale.