🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Detective_Ash

A thread of rememberence and discussion.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today.

EDIT: Whoops go here http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24565

• 5 years later...
That day is a national holiday, right?

I remember Stevie Wonder had a song called: Happy Birthday advocating for a Martin Luther King day and for that day being declared national holiday.

> Yes Nancy, indeed it is a national holiday for us in the US!

>> Hm, interesting, Stevie Wonder did a song advocating for a Martin Luther King Jr. day?? Good for him!!:cool:

U2 did pay him a great deal of heartfelt respect when they included him in their song Pride, and in their video about the song. He deserves the adoration and admiration for being the voice of the civil rights movement, his beliefs and messages are timeless. I thought about what he might have said were he here today to reflect on the times, and I am sure he would have seen the tragedy of foreclosed homes in America, of how the African-American community took the hardest hit of all, loosing a great deal of the wealth in their homes and investments from the recent economic crimes which have been committed.

>I'm curious, what do you know about him, what's the feeling in Denmark about King?

I'll post the video in which Stevie Wonder sings "HAPPY BIRTHDAY":

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FchMuPQOBwA]Stevie Wonder - Happy Birthday - YouTube[/ame]

This version is a bit more reggae-like than I remember it, but the song is still good. :heart:

In the singing part: "thanks to martin Luther King

Why has there never been a holiday where peace is celebrated all throughout the world."

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday."

Then talking (while Happy Birthday is sung in the background):

"We know the key for unity of all people

a dream we had so long ago - that lives in the heart of all people

we'll make the dream (become) true and reality

I know we will

because my heart tells me so"

Great song.

Yes, and U2 in Pride (in the Name of God) is indeed about Martin Luther King:

Martin Luther King's death day is mentioned, but with the wrong time of day, lOL:

Bono sang: "Early morning - April 4 shot rings out in the Memphis sky".

Larry Mullen, the drummer later informed us that MLK was murdered in the afternoon.

Here is the video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByuyP1PNqKQ]U2-Pride (In the Name of Love) lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

Chuck wrote: I'm curious, what do you know about him, what's the feeling in Denmark about King? "

Well, in school (many years ago) we learned about US history and of course also about Martin Luther King and his great speech: "I have a dream".

I was very fascinated by this speech when reading it in school. It is one of the speeches living forever in man's memory. He was killed on 4 April, 1968.

Thinking back - how sad that so many great people who were admired by the masses were killed - Martin Luther King in April, 1968, President J.F.Kennedy in November 1963, Robert Kennedy in 1968, Mahatma Ghandhi in 1947 and Benazir Bhutto in December, 2007 and Indira Ghandhi in October, 1984. There are many more, but those were the ones who came to my mind now.

I didn't know that he was so well known in Denmark, thanks for relating how you learned about him Nancy! My earliest recollection was simply to have heard his speech replayed on TV numerous times, he was so far-minded and true to basic human values that I couldn't forget what he had said, it remains a powerful memory in my mind to this day. His vision of economic justice and global equality we are all still striving for, and we are at another turning point in history - there is no going back, only forward.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56mjwycKuXA]Pride - U2 - Martin Luther King - YouTube[/ame]

:sunny::crown: Today is Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday! :crown::sunny:

Yes, and it is a day off thanks to this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FchMuPQOBwA&feature=player_embedded]Stevie Wonder - Happy Birthday - YouTube[/ame]

Have a nice day off in the United States!

And I found a connection between Chris Martin & Martin Luther King Jr.!!

Famous Vegetarians - Vegan Celebrities - by HappyCow

Coretta Scott King is a vegan:sunny:

I would rather say: Was as she is dead.

I was in doubt when she died, so I googled and found this:

Coretta Scott King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaen.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coretta_Scott_King

Coretta Scott King (April 27, 1927 – January 30, 2006) was an American author, activist, and civil rights leader. The widow of Martin Luther King, Jr

I would rather say: Was as she is dead.

I was in doubt when she died, so I googled and found this:

Coretta Scott King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaen.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coretta_Scott_King

Coretta Scott King (April 27, 1927 – January 30, 2006) was an American author, activist, and civil rights leader. The widow of Martin Luther King, Jr

OOPS!:(

Pardon Moi.

For some reason, I always think she's alive among us. I suppose because she had been with us for so long, it's hard to imagine her passing on..

OOPS!:(

Pardon Moi.

For some reason, I always think she's alive among us. I suppose because she had been with us for so long, it's hard to imagine her passing on..

When she died, Bono said some words about her (at a concert or in an interview).