✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

04-Aug-08: Boston - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 03-Nov]

This may seem to be a very obscure question but I figured I'd ask anyways.

Did anyone recognize the tracks being played on the speakers just before Coldplay took the stage? (AKA between Santogold and Coldplay). I recognized it and it was a very nice tune but couldn't think it up, its still killing me

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone recognize the tracks being played on the speakers just before Coldplay took the stage? (AKA between Santogold and Coldplay). I recognized it and it was a very nice tune but couldn't think it up, its still killing me [/Quote]

I was just about to ask that same question! It was great music i hope someone here knows who it was. It gave me a sense of building excitement.

Oh and for those of you who dont have a myspace i just uploaded my pictures to facebook. http://www.facebook.com (search Jesse Defrancesco)

-Jesse-

Did anyone recognize the tracks being played on the speakers just before Coldplay took the stage? (AKA between Santogold and Coldplay). I recognized it and it was a very nice tune but couldn't think it up, its still killing me

you should ask the Oracle. ;)

Coldplay Performs in Boston!

Hey Everyone!

Coldplay recently performed at the TD Banknorth Garden, but did the show live up to standards? And what celebs were found enjoying the show? Read all about the concert here in Boston Music Spotlight's review:

Coldplay wrapped up their North American tour with a high energy, star studded event at the Garden on Monday night, proving that the London based quartet are indeed contenders for the title of the ‘best band of the new millennium’.

Touring in support of their recently released fourth studio album, Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, Coldplay hit the stage with instrumental “Life in Technicolor” and quickly transitioned to “Violet Hill’. With the crowd clearly under their spell, front-man Chris Martin took to the piano for “Clocks”.

“In My Place” from their 2002 album A Rush of Blood to the Head, complete with guitarist Johnny Buckland’s trademark chords, worked the audience into frenzy, nearly drowning out Martin’s vocals on the final chorus. With everyone warmed up and the sell out crowd on their feet, the band performed brilliantly the title track “Viva la Vida”, followed by “Yes” and “42” both from the new album.

Next was the highlight of the show, “Fix You”, featuring Martin both at the piano and dancing around the stage like a man possessed. The ballad not only showcased Martin’s passionate voice, but both the breath and depth of the band’s musical talents. Every element of the song was perfectly executed and it was truly a performance that was impossible to top! Unfortunately, the song was in the middle of the set, and although they tried, they could not surpass that performance.

While the balance of the show was solid, parts of it seemed almost forced, including the ill placed “Chinese Sleep Chant”. Instead of retaining the energy level in the arena, this song actually seemed to have the opposite affect. In fact, most of the crowd was back in their seats by the time a techno version of “God Put a Smile Upon Your Face” finished.

But thankfully, they did not stay there for long, as the crowd was on their feet again for “Speed of Sound” from their 2004 album X&Y. Martin then addressed the crowd, saying “It’s about time we said hello to everybody”, and then in his characteristically self-deprecating way, said “We are not even Irish or American and you are still being nice to us, so thank you!”

Before taking to a side stage in the middle of section 215 (lucky fans!), the band performed “Yellow”, complete with cheesy yellow lasers, and their latest single “Lost!”. After making their way thought the crowds, the band treated fans to an acoustic version of “The Scientist” and then closed out the main set with drummer Will Champion on lead vocals for “Death Will Never Conquer”.

Back on stage for what would be a quick three song encore, the band performed “Politik”, “Lovers in Japan”, where confetti unnecessarily fell from the rafters and the “Death and All His Friends”, which was dedicated to New England Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady, Martin saying, “Thank you for the shirt and I hope it [the show] was worth it”. I am pretty sure that Tom would agree that it was worth it!

While it was not an outstanding show, it was a great performance by a band that appears to still be evolving and defining who they want to be when they grow up. During the ninety minute set there were moments of absolute brilliance and there were moments that seemed both forced and uninspired, creating a tension between what could propel them to the rank of mega-stars and what could ensure they never graduate beyond cult status. They clearly have the talent and the fan base to hold the title of ‘best band of the new millennium’, but only time will tell which path they choose.

Opening the show in support of Coldplay was the Santogold. The Philadelphia based singer blended a number of different sounds including techno, hip hop and rock sounds (think M.I.A.), but did little to hold the audience's interest, who were eager to see the main act. And, in an opportunity of a lifetime, winners of an online contest which was ultimately judged by Chris Martin himself, Boston based Luxury took the stage for a short yet solid set.

http://bostonmusicspotlight.com/article.php?id=1334

I will confess to being a Coldplay fan since I first heard “Yellow,” and their sold-out concert at the Garden in Boston did not disappoint. They played a 90-min set that included their newest hit “Viva La Vida” and favorites such as “Speed of Sound.”

There were two opening bands: the first was The Luxury, a local band who had been picked by Coldplay during a contest earlier this year, and they were followed by Santogold, who was entertaining – her backup dancers were straight out of a Devo video, but she didn’t seem to fit the audience.

I have to start with the fact that my seats were behind the VIP row which included Gwyneth Paltrow, who received a standing ovation, Kate Bosworth and Jerry Seinfeld. Despite being star struck, I made my way down to the floor to join the throng of photographers allowed stage side. When the band took to the stage behind a curtain to play “Life in Technicolor” the crowd was electric. I’ll give Chris Martin credit for continuously encouraging the crowd, who was already singing along, to “finish it for me” for such songs as “Fix You” and “Clocks” during which Martin played the piano.

Halfway through, the band did a two song set on a small lighted stage set down into the arena, that included “Chinese Sleep Chant” and “God Put A Smile Upon Your Face.” Although a little underwhelming, they made up for it later when they exited the stage to play half-way up the arena in the rear corner. Here they did an acoustic version of “The Scientist,” followed by one of my favorite moments of the night. Drummer, Will Champion, took over the vocals for “Death Will Never Conquer” while Chris Martin played the harmonica. This was all shown on large, spinning orbs, suspended from the ceiling, which were either surreal or annoying, depending on where you were sitting.

All in all, the band played both loud and bright and small and quiet, keeping the audience on their toes. They could have made even a non-Coldplay fan appreciative of their unique feel. From Chris Martin almost falling of the piano stool during “Clocks” to the shower of fluorescent butterflies during the encore performance of “Politik,” the experience was fantastic.

Review and photos by WBRU contest winner Amanda.

http://www.wbru.com/index.php/2008/08/08/review-coldplay-at-td-banknorth-by-wbru-winner-amanda/

s-coldplay1.jpg

s-coldplay3.jpg

s-coldplay4.jpg

s-coldplay5.jpg

s-coldplay16.jpg

Coldplay Boston

^ LOL. We didn't get yellow balloons either.

I think you've mistaken the GIANT BALLS for yellow balloons :laugh3:

s-coldplay4.jpg

^ OMG! You can partially see the sign I made and held up when Jonny and Chris came over to us during "In My Place"!

SWEEEEEET! BEST COLDPLAY CONCERT EVER!!!

Thanks to Ian for posting all these reviews and keeping the concert memories alive! :kiss:

^ LOL. We didn't get yellow balloons either.

I think you've mistaken the GIANT BALLS for yellow balloons :laugh3:

s-coldplay4.jpg

^ OMG! You can partially see the sign I made and held up when Jonny and Chris came over to us during "In My Place"!

SWEEEEEET! BEST COLDPLAY CONCERT EVER!!!

Thanks to Ian for posting all these reviews and keeping the concert memories alive! :kiss:

Cool! What did your sign say?

Boston Signs

^ It was not as clever and hilarious as your's, Angie's, and Mel's sign but I tried :)

I made two signs. The one i was holding up in that pic said "Reign of Coldplay Lovers in Boston" and I painted butterflies on it and tried to draw Chris' caricatures of the guys.

The other side of Sign #1 read "VIVA La Guy, Will, Chris, Jonny-Boy" with hearts for Jonny's O's :heart:

And Sign #2 side 1 read "Miller Rocks :heart: Roadie #42" Sadly, he was too busy setting up on the stage to look my way when I went up to the stage, screamed "MILLER!!!!" and waved the sign around :cry:

Although I think Matt McGinn and some of the other Roadies may have noticed! :dozey:

The other side of Sign #2 was a picture of a drawing I'd done of all 4 of the boys. I wrote "Boston Loves Coldplay" on it!

. . . .I'm still in complete shock/amazement/bliss from the concert and that entire day. . . .

can barely bring myself to type anything...... 0_0

:cool:

^ It was not as clever and hilarious as your's, Angie's, and Mel's sign but I tried :)

I made two signs. The one i was holding up in that pic said "Reign of Coldplay Lovers in Boston" and I painted butterflies on it and tried to draw Chris' caricatures of the guys.

The other side of Sign #1 read "VIVA La Guy, Will, Chris, Jonny-Boy" with hearts for Jonny's O's :heart:

And Sign #2 side 1 read "Miller Rocks :heart: Roadie #42" Sadly, he was too busy setting up on the stage to look my way when I went up to the stage, screamed "MILLER!!!!" and waved the sign around :cry:

Although I think Matt McGinn and some of the other Roadies may have noticed! :dozey:

The other side of Sign #2 was a picture of a drawing I'd done of all 4 of the boys. I wrote "Boston Loves Coldplay" on it!

. . . .I'm still in complete shock/amazement/bliss from the concert and that entire day. . . .

can barely bring myself to type anything...... 0_0

:cool:

Wow you really were prepared! Great job showing the love!:D

Matt McGinn...is that the same Matt as Jonny's guitar tech?

Glad you had so much fun! Did you go with anyone?

BOSTON COLDPLAY

^ THANKS! Love yours too! Go Birds! :)

Yeah, I even wore a homemade viva shirt to show the love! :heart:

Yes, the VERY same AWESOME Matt who's the guitar tech for lovely Jonny! :kiss:

I went with me mum.

It's taken me THIS long to actually write anything about the concert because I'm still so awed by the whole day! :shocked2:

:lol:

Boston Coldplay!!!!

^ Appreciate the review Maloo. :)

Everyone's allowed their own opinion, and at least you provided evidence to back up your reasons.

(There are some people who just use reviews to bash for the sake of bashing... :confused:)

Oh, and I loved your closing sentence.

You're a Jonny girl, aren't ya? :)

hehehe, how did you know? :D

:shy:

:heart: Jonny! :kiss:

I'm chill with Will,

high with Guy,

in bliss with Chris, and . . .

turned into honey by Jonny

....and those fabulous green eyes :dozey:

Jonny was blazing and on fire in Boston!

:cool: <-- needed sunglasses because he was so bright!

• 2 weeks later...

Coldplay Boston Lyrics Improv. Mystery

Ok, this has been really bugging me for awhile now....

I've been (VERY HAPPILY) watching Vids from the AMAZING Boston show, and am soaking up everything Chris said, because a lot of it is extremely funny/clever.

However, I cannot decipher what exactly Chris' saying between 3:44 - 3:56 of God Put A Smile Upon Your Face...

All I can pick out is: "God gave me style and ______ . ___ ____ ____ ____ to Massachuuuuusetts."

Anyone know what he said exactly? :inquisitive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg1V1-Aj7hs