✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

04-Aug-08: Boston - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos [originally 03-Nov]

where were u sitting?

on the left side of the stage, 6 rows back from the ramp on the left side. not floor but like 6 rows back in loge. really great seats. every time they came out on that ramp i could see like every detail in their faces. i could tell a few times that chris was scanning our section for gwyneth. another thing that was weird was everytime i looked down at the people on the floor i could see at least 10 people looking up in our direction just staring at gwyneth. i felt kind of bad for her. it must be hard to really enjoy the show when about 30 people are staring at you at ALL times!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the left side of the stage, 6 rows back from the ramp on the left side. not floor but like 6 rows back in loge. really great seats. every time they came out on that ramp i could see like every detail in their faces. i could tell a few times that chris was scanning our section for gwyneth. another thing that was weird was everytime i looked down at the people on the floor i could see at least 10 people looking up in our direction just staring at gwyneth. i felt kind of bad for her. it must be hard to really enjoy the show when about 30 people are staring at you at ALL times!

cool thanks.... i know that must be hard but from whay youve said it looked like she enjoyed the show haha......i cant wait to see the pics!

Hahaha, that Condeleezza Rice bit was perfect.

"Physically we were alright, but politically we just didn't match up."

I pretty much died. :D

For all the Facebookers out there, here (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2015097&id=1232910307&ref=mf) is the best of the best of my photos.

I also got videos of Clocks (partially), Viva La Vida, 42, Strawberry Swing (absolutely HAD to get these two), Fix You from the guitar solo to the end, the techno God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, Death Will Never Conquer (including the banter beforehand where he said fuck several times and then added "Don't put this on the Internet!"), Lovers In Japan (which I'll admit kind of sucks because I had floor seats and was very distracted by the confetti), and Death And All His Friends (including the "Aw, fuck!" bit).

I'm a little embarassed because I didn't realize how much of my own singing it would pick up, so there are some instances where you can barely hear Chris because myself, my friend, and all the people around us just overpower him, but regardless, I'll try to get those on YouTube soon.

Not only was gwyenth and her mom there, jerry seinfeld was right next to them along with kate bosworth, Tom Brady and his girlfriend Jazelle. I was front row in section 13 and they were about 10th row in section 13, right before coldplay took the stage, everyone got on their feet when they all walked up together. Also stings wife was there along with spielbergs wife. The crowd was incredible also, best time ive seen them and it was my 6th.

Not only was gwyenth and her mom there, jerry seinfeld was right next to them along with kate bosworth, Tom Brady and his girlfriend Jazelle. I was front row in section 13 and they were about 10th row in section 13, right before coldplay took the stage, everyone got on their feet when they all walked up together. Also stings wife was there along with spielbergs wife. The crowd was incredible also, best time ive seen them and it was my 6th.

Awesome! I'm so happy for you!:D:D:D:D Great review in your other post too! Were you on the left when looking from the crowd (Jonny's side)? Or left when onstage (Guy's side)?

Jonnys side! haha i actually thought of you crazy girls when he walked down the ramp.

to 'abisirg': i was 6th row in 13! but brady and gisele weren't in the same row as the rest of them. they were all in row 8.

Question for you, while it's still so fresh in your mind.:D

Did JB go down Guy's ramp on his own during either the Hartford or Boston shows (especially during In My Place)? Or just down his own ramp with Chris like usual? Thanks!

So far I've only uploaded "Clocks", "VLV", and "42", and already they've all had views. Nothing too huge, though. It is 3 AM EST, after all. Right now Clocks has 9 views.

If you want to watch the videos, my YouTube name is the same as my CPing name, but without the space between Mug and Costanza.

Also, BostonSportsTD said that he just doesn't get Chinese Sleep Chant. Honestly, at first listen, I thought it was kind of a dumb song. I straight up just didn't like it. But right from when I woke up this morning, the song that was stuck in my head ALL DAY was Chinese Sleep Chant. I was really happy when they played it. I'm more than willing to give it another chance. :)

Fire over ice: Coldplay bounces, belts out hits

539w.jpg

Coldplay closed out the North American leg of its tour with an exclamation point last night.

Befitting their status as radio kings, thanks to the success of their fourth album "Viva La Vida," the quartet gave a big performance on a big stage with a big audience singing along to the big choruses. (Speed-dial friends U2 would've beamed with older brotherly pride).

Whether it was the presence of front man Chris Martin's famous wife, Gwyneth Paltrow, and mother-in-law, Blythe Danner, with special guests Jerry and Jessica Seinfeld at the TD Banknorth Garden or the hero's welcome the band received, the British hit makers signed off with a giddy, high-energy performance that seemed as much for their own enjoyment as for the hyped-up, sold-out crowd.

While the obsessively self-deprecating Martin joked about being a "soft rock" band, drummer Will Champion - the band's true MVP - gave the entire affair a welcome brawn from the very first downbeat of opener "Life in Technicolor."

Songs such as "Speed of Sound" and "In My Place" that sometimes come across as more placid and pleasant on record leapt off the stage thanks to the mighty efforts of Champion and his similarly uncorked band mates.

Martin flailed about with his lunatic wobbliness during such stompers as "Viva La Vida" - taut and soaring with timpani and bells - and rocked like a madman behind the piano teasing out the curlicue riffs of "Clocks." In all his gadding about he managed to keep ahold of that valuable falsetto for the night's biggest ballad sing-alongs including "Fix You" and the inanely simple but irresistible "Yellow." He took it lower for the slithering, Eastern-tinged rhythms of the hypnotic "Yes."

The band took to a smaller lighted stage halfway into the audience for an oddly insular, techno-fied interlude that felt like they were playing in their own tiny nightclub. Large orbs, some which obstructed views, descended, beaming out images to those farther away. More successful was a later two-song acoustic bit way up in the right-hand corner of the arena that included the Beatlesque sing-song gem "The Scientist" and Champion handling vocals on a sweet version of "Death Will Never Conquer."

Those aspiring to be the biggest band in all the land would be wise to heed the example of their oft-name-checked predecessors in one way: Play longer shows. Given that they have four albums of material to choose from, a 90-minute set, as energetic as it was, felt like not enough bang for the sizable soft rock buck.

Santogold put her heart into the groovy, electro-quirk rock of her critically lauded debut but wasn't quite the right fit for the large crowd that showed up early enough to hear the buzzy charms of tunes such as "L.E.S. Artistes" and "Creator." And if you're going to have a hipster-cred building opening act, provide her with a better sound system.

Victors in an online contest, judged ultimately by Coldplay, Boston rockers the Luxury took the stage with confidence for a short set that should draw a few more fans to their gigs around town.

Source: http://www.boston.com

Hot-and-Coldplay have few moments

ebae4a3a8f_dcoldplay08052008.jpg

It seems that Coldplay is still searching for their niche among the world’s major rock acts.

That might explain why the British quartet experimented with so many different styles and formats at the sold-out TD Banknorth Garden last night - some successfully, others not so much.

The night of massive sing-alongs and fist-pumping anthems began with the dark, brooding “Violet Hill” and the pounding chords of “Clocks,” during which lead singer Chris Martin almost fell off his piano stool with enthusiasm.

That set the tone for a night of Martin swaying, rocking, doing awkward versions of the running man, dripping with sweat, occasionally convulsing, dropping a few F-bombs, flubbing lyrics, and often convening with lead guitarist Jonny Buckland and bassist Guy Berryman for impromptu emo huddles.

During “Fix You,” Martin stumbled around as if from a love hangover, and towards the end of the transcendent “In My Place,” he ventured out to a side stage to fall to his knees and writhe.

Even after four albums and massive success, the husband of actress Gwyneth Paltrow (who was present along with her mother, Blythe Danner, and Jerry Seinfeld and Steven Spielberg) clearly isn’t too big for his retro-military britches, and it is this lack of pretentiousness and raw emotion that drives the Coldplay engine.

Occasionally, things got a bit dull, however. After the anthemic “Viva La Vida,” a mid-set lag took hold with “Yes,” which featured Martin in his lower register and fans the closest they’d be to motionless all night.

Fans wanted the band to stay loud, bright and center-stage, but they took to a small side stage for what you might call the U2 interlude, an electronic-inspired “Chinese Sleep Chant” and “God Put A Smile Upon Your Face.” Later, the band took to another side stage - this time in the rafters - for an underwhelming acoustic version of “The Scientist,” which didn’t capture the song’s considerable emotional power.

But the band was frequently brilliant throughout the night, and never moreso than on the piano-driven masterpiece “Politik” during the encore - which was followed shortly thereafter by a quirky shower of confetti butterflies.

About the only thing Coldplay has in common with opener Santogold is the nebulous designation of “alternative.” Born Santi White, the New York native blends too many styles - rock, punk, hip-hop and reggae among them - to be placed into a singular category, and with vocals that soared up to the rafters.

http://news.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/general/view/2008_08_05_Hot-and-Coldplay_have_few_moments/srvc=home&position=recent

All my videos are up!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MugCostanza

(I've looked it over and I decided not to upload Lovers In Japan. Once they released the confetti I got way to distracted with trying to catch some than watching the stage so the audio is TERRIBLE and the video sucks as well. I really dropped the ball on this one.)

Just watched them all! Thanks for posting. Now go get some sleep, haha.:D

Once you are very front row or near it you are never happy again with any other seats! I was lucky to be front row at a GA show way back in Sept of 05. And then I was so close at the Today show. All I want are front rows seats now. I was thinking of getting nosebleeds for the Izod Center show in hopes that the same guy who was upgrading seats would see me and take pity :laugh3:

Lori we gotta get seats Like BostonSportsTD had for this show!!!

Okay so last night WAS AMAZING!!!!!! I cant belive all the celeberties that showed up! I cant wait to see Coldplay again! My sign didnt end up glowing in the bark because it was too dim bebore the show. I held it up during Fix You but didnt hold it up too long because i didnt want to block the peoples view who where behind me. :) They where very nice about it and good neighbors :) Someone next to me reconized my sign from here (i wish i got her name). As far as merch goes i got the VIVA LA VIDA artwork tee and the tour program both well worth it! (im ordering the mug) The show opened with two acts The Luxery and Santogold (in that order) They where both good, but i wasnt sure what to think of Santogold at first. THEN COLDPLAY they where truely amazing. I was a little far away but i had a blast non the less. The people aroud me where GREAT. My favroite part was when they went into the loge section. I loved the Scientist! And it was funny how Chris listed all the things that Will could do "....He can seduce..." :laugh3: And it came to an end with Death And All His Friends! It was just AMAZING! He even dedicated it to Tom Brady. The crowed cheered untill the lights came on, Coldplay at the TD Banknorth Garden was a truely amazing night!

-Jesse-

PS - lets all hope that stadium tour rumor was true because COLDPLAY at Gillette Stadium would be AMAZING!

Once you are very front row or near it you are never happy again with any other seats! I was lucky to be front row at a GA show way back in Sept of 05. And then I was so close at the Today show. All I want are front rows seats now. I was thinking of getting nosebleeds for the Izod Center show in hopes that the same guy who was upgrading seats would see me and take pity :laugh3:

God I know...that Today Show experience was my first Coldplay live experience and while I am totally grateful for it - it has also completely spoiled me!!:laugh3:

I didn't realize that was your first time seeing them! Oh you are ruined for life :stunned:

The first time I saw them was in 02 at a place that sat like 4,000 people so that kind of spoiled me. I still can't believe you met Jonny and Guy!! So lucky.

God I know...that Today Show experience was my first Coldplay live experience and while I am totally grateful for it - it has also completely spoiled me!!:laugh3:

good show, definitely, but a couple of things bothered me - that boston crowd was tearing it's throat out for coldplay, absolutely going bizonkers, and they still didn't give it anything extra. I'm of the opinion that when a band's got 30.000 people giving them a standing ovation and shaking a concrete building with their yelling, they really should come back out and do one more.

also, i just moved to boston, and i found it incredibly disconcerting the extreme vitrol and anger people had towards Santogold. People around me were shouting at her to "shut the f&^* up" and talking about how she sucked on every song. I understand people having different tastes and such, but Santagold's just pop hooks over interesting beats, and I cannot see a reason to scream obscenities at her for putting on a decent opening in an arena.

it worries me sometimes that my fellow coldplay fans are closeminded, one-sided, very judgmental people. I really hope that's not the case.

The show was good, though. To be honest, I think I might like the Twisted Logic tour better - it seemed paced better, and on this tour I just got the distinct impression that the band was trying to hustle through the set list. That said, Lost! was outstanding, the clocks lightshow from where I was sitting was incredible (for the rest of the night, my apartment mate kept saying "lasers.... lasers..." over and over again while he fell asleep on the T.

Good show, just weird that a top selling band with 50 or so official tracks and god knows how many b-sides can't play for longer than ninety minutes. I remember on the offical msgboard someone was ranting about how they only played 90 minute shows, etc, and debs said it was because they only had two or three albums. No longer a good excuse, I think.

also, i just moved to boston, and i found it incredibly disconcerting the extreme vitrol and anger people had towards Santogold. People around me were shouting at her to "shut the f&^* up" and talking about how she sucked on every song. I understand people having different tastes and such, but Santagold's just pop hooks over interesting beats, and I cannot see a reason to scream obscenities at her for putting on a decent opening in an arena.

it worries me sometimes that my fellow coldplay fans are closeminded, one-sided, very judgmental people. I really hope that's not the case.

It worries me as well. The fans in my section did the same thing to Santogold at the Washington DC show.

I have to admit coldplay are a good band but for almost 100$ per ticket and there catalog they could have played at least 2 hours and not 1:30 mins.

My only gripe was square one wasn't played really wanted to hear that and a very annoying guy behind me that wouldn't shut up and sung over in my place and a few others so loud it wrecked the song for me I mean come on its fine to sing along but i am paying to hear coldplay not the fans.

this will prolly be my first and last coldplay show.