✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

31-Jul-08: Air Canada Centre, Toronto - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

I'll admit tonights show was better then last nights (I went to both, way better crowd tonight) but I really feel like we all got screwed because there wasn't even a single encore. I thought after the roadies came on it was just to lead us all on, but looks like I was wrong unless they decided to come back on and play an encore for the security and cleaners. but i'll just assume they were tight on time considering they have to break down the set and travel to the next city. Obviously I dont know them personally but I doubt Coldplay would screw the fans over on purpose.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from the concert tonight. This was my first time seeing them live and it was simply amazing. After waiting many years, I can't quite convey how incredible it was seeing them perform in front of me!

They sounded incredible, loved the set-up of the show, especially when they came into the stands to sing The Scientist. And they brought out a cake for Will and sang him Happy Birthday near the end, which was sweet!

All in all, it was a great time. :D

I'll admit tonights show was better then last nights (I went to both, way better crowd tonight) but I really feel like we all got screwed because there wasn't even a single encore. I thought after the roadies came on it was just to lead us all on, but looks like I was wrong unless they decided to come back on and play an encore for the security and cleaners. but i'll just assume they were tight on time considering they have to break down the set and travel to the next city. Obviously I dont know them personally but I doubt Coldplay would screw the fans over on purpose.

Yeah I definitely agree, the crowd was crazier and more into it tonight and the band could clearly tell, but no encore? I was quite upset about that. Hardest Part was crazy, and towards the end Chris looked at his mom then tapped on his wrist saying it's a bit late, so who knows? Apparently he was sick and didn't show up to the edge, but he did go to MOD, and maybe they wanna party tonight for Will, 3 straight days of touring is pretty rough.

Yeah no encore was real bummer. He did hardest part twice, first time her messed up and gave up. The second time around he messed up a bit but think he finished it or almost finished it. Either way I was very disappointed with no Encore. But I have to say, the 06 crowd from Thursday was WAY better than this one, maybe since they were recording the 06 concert?????

Yeah maybe him sick did have something to do with it. I dont really care that he went to muchmusic anyway, because personally i think that show sucks **my rant of the day**. I did notice at times when he went off key at the beginning of the concert it kind of looked like he was having trouble singing. Plus it looked like he was drinking tea so who knows. For the first three songs or so he didnt look himself at all.

AMAZING.

I went to muchmusic. For anyone who saw MOD I was RIGHT at the beginning, they asked me a if I was a big Coldplay fan. And I got into the edge, and got jonny's and guy's autograph and told them that I was the 1560 winner. More in depth review to follow.

I was also really disappointed with no encore. But it did end at the same time as last night's, about 10:40...so who knows. Chris messed the hardest part up was classic. I don't think it was on purpose, i just think it's not played often enough so he messed it up.

My seats were way closer and better then I expected, so I was really happy. :)

Coldplay's Chris Martin and Guitarist Jonny Buckland of Coldplay Visit MuchOnDemand at MuchMusic Headquarters on July 31, 2008 in Toronto, ON. Canada. This just in from the MOD blog:

The boys of Coldplay were spotted today visiting Much Music as well as taking time away from their busy schedule to do some shopping in Yorkville… Anyone lookin’ to stalk the boys, go wait outside The Hazelton Hotel - That’s where they are staying!! We’ll have the whole interview up tomorrow for you, check out some snaps in the meantime!

2008muchmusic1.jpg

2008muchmusic2.jpg

2008muchmusic3.jpg

2008muchmusic4.jpg

2008muchmusic5.jpg

2008muchmusic6.jpg

2008muchmusic7.jpg

2008muchmusic8.jpg

2008muchmusic9.jpg

2008muchmusic10.jpg

2008muchmusic11.jpg

2008muchmusic12.jpg

2008muchmusic13.jpg

2008muchmusic14.jpg

2008muchmusic15.jpg

2008muchmusic16.jpg

2008muchmusic17.jpg

2008muchmusic18.jpg

2008muchmusic19.jpg

2008muchmusic20.jpg

Even with them not leaving the stage, it seems the ended with the same songs they usually do, so IMHO the whole "no encore" thing was probably just a function of Chris' illness (there are rumors going around that what he's got is a headcold and it's straining his voice.)

Also IMHO, in today's concert environment Encores in general are kind of lame. Virtually always, encores are part of a band's pre-planned set nowadays so why go through the whole pretense of leving the stage. I would much rather have the band just play all the songs they intend to play and have done with it. (the exception being two set shows which are mainly limited to jam bands-which I don't dig anyway for the most part.

-Ends rant about encores-

Even with them not leaving the stage, it seems the ended with the same songs they usually do, so IMHO the whole "no encore" thing was probably just a function of Chris' illness (there are rumors going around that what he's got is a headcold and it's straining his voice.)

Also IMHO, in today's concert environment Encores in general are kind of lame. Virtually always, encores are part of a band's pre-planned set nowadays so why go through the whole pretense of leving the stage. I would much rather have the band just play all the songs they intend to play and have done with it. (the exception being two set shows which are mainly limited to jam bands-which I don't dig anyway for the most part).

EDIT-apologies about double posting

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isi8vVroUQw"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isi8vVroUQw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5aDThd_y3A"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5aDThd_y3A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isi8vVroUQw"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isi8vVroUQw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

i can't wait till they return!

:D

Also IMHO, in today's concert environment Encores in general are kind of lame. Virtually always, encores are part of a band's pre-planned set nowadays so why go through the whole pretense of leving the stage. I would much rather have the band just play all the songs they intend to play and have done with it. (the exception being two set shows which are mainly limited to jam bands-which I don't dig anyway for the most part.

I agree. The only band I have seen that makes the whole "cheer for us and we'll come back out" thing not tired is the Foos, who have a camera back stage and show them smoking and egging the crowd on. That was really funny.

Coldplay Viva Toronto Night II: Pushing us on our Strawberry Swings

Two years and 5 months after Coldplay last rolled into the Toronto, I once again found myself back in the rigidly designed bucket-seats of the Air Canada Centre for their second of a two night stop along the Viva La Vida Tour. One of the great things about a Coldplay concert is the people. We all know on one level or another that Coldplay fans love good music. It was with little shock that the fan seated next to me was into such sonically pleasing artists as Radiohead, Sigur Ros and U2. It was funny to me when an thought struck my mind, going to a Coldplay concert is a little like attending church, except the people are friendlier. It was also a great night because my father was with me and he loves the band (what a cool dad eh?).

The opener, Santogold, left little to be desired. She sounded somewhat like a banshee in heat, and it seemed as though she couldn’t figure out whether she wanted to be Duffy or Beyonce. At any rate it was probably a little ridiculous to have an R & Besque (if that’s a word) artist at a Coldplay concert - it’s akin to having Carrie Underwood…well open for anyone. But I digress.

Before I begin the review, let me get the negatives out of the way. It was apparent that Chris Martin was struggling a little (he had reportedly been ill) especially with the lower-registered songs like ‘Yes’. but he quickly got over it. Lastly, I’m pretty sure I was more relaxed then I should have been, there was definitely someone smoking a crap load of pot. The cops were called in by security after they find a woman in my section completely stoned. Anyways, on with the good stuff.

From the sprawling landscape of the show opener, ‘Life in Technicolour’ to the victorious melancholic closing chant of ‘Death and all of His Friends’, Coldplay held strong. But what really showed their maturity and niche as artists was the techno-laden rendition of ‘God Put a Smile Upon Your Face’ and the always elusively haunting ‘Chinese Sleep Chant’. It was during these songs, and their corresponding stage-setups, that gave me a glimpse of what living in U2’s Pop-era might have been like. However the pinnacle of the night would have to have been when the quintet sojourned through the crowd to a little a area inside the crowd on the lower bowl. It was there that we were blessed by a thoughtful acoustic rendition of ‘The Scientist’ and a Will Champion-sung ‘Death Will Never Conquer’. All in all, the second night of the Viva La Vida Tour stop in Toronto was much like it’s studio counterpart, short but sweet.

http://davidkentie.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/coldplay-viva-toronto-night-ii-pushing-us-on-our-strawberry-swings/