✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

31-Jul-08: Air Canada Centre, Toronto - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow - that first clip was sweet in native HD format (1280x720)... doesn't your cam have an infinite focus option so it doesn't keep trying to lock every few secs tho?

thanks for the upload however :)

I dont think so....This was my sister's camera that I was using....Sorry if the rest of the clips dont look as good...They are a hassle to upload natively

More coming as we speak!!!!!

A critic confesses: Chris Martin melted me

Whenever I have a conversation with someone about this strange job I do, the question always comes up: "How do you keep an open mind?"

It actually gets easier with time. I've been at this music-critic thing for 10 years and if going to shows every other night has taught me anything, it's that I should allow myself to be surprised.

Sometimes you know what awaits. I'll be attending my seventh Backstreet Boys show next week, for instance and I can say right now that I will loathe every minute of it.

Sometimes, though, you find the evening's dreaded assignment morphing into an altogether pleasant night out. Which is exactly what happened this past Wednesday when I grudgingly stepped out to catch Coldplay at the Air Canada Centre.

I don't hate the band or anything and actually dig a few of their tunes, but I'd seen them before a couple of years ago and found them very nothing-special live. "Better take some stimulants," counselled a friend. Still others mocked me for being a nancy boy in love with Chris Martin. I was cynical.

Martin's sensitive soul and cracked falsetto has certainly won him his share of admirers. The sold-out crowd at the ACC was stacked with young women travelling in packs, all dolled up for their boyfriend and giddy in anticipation of being personally serenaded with "Fix You."

There was good energy in the stands, then, and a hyperactive Martin returned it in kind, dashing about the stage like a gawky madman and clearly taking his job as entertainer very seriously.

Damn it, I did kinda like him, and I was taken aback at how many indelible hits the band had unleashed on the planet in just a few years. I decided to splurge on a $9 can of Canadian and cave in to the moment. I had fun. I admitted to myself that "Fix You" was a pretty lovely tune, and that anyone who can dust off a song like that for a wife who's just lost her father – as Martin did for Gwyneth Paltrow – is soooo laid.

It's not all there yet, mind. Coldplay's live show still doesn't quite hit those periods of transcendence that I've experienced watching, say, Radiohead or the Notwist or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – instances when the music just veers off somewhere I never expected and I'm totally taken out of myself for a few minutes.

They almost hit it on the latter half of "42," which started quietly and then turned into an ominous, spastic psych-out, but they're too stiff as players to cut loose like that very often. And they should. Coldplay needs to loosen up. Until then, they won't have their Joshua Tree or OK Computer moment.

I'm not giving up on them, though. I think they might just hit it.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/471557

Oh no! What went wrong with the etalk thing?

glad you still got to see Chris & jonny though :)

The Etalk people "overbooked"..we got to stand outside the window though which in some strange way seemed better than being inside:). Some of the people that got to be inside looked bored and some were so happy. The people around me that I talked to were dedicated fans, it was nice to be around them!

Good review! I always love how coldplay is in some strange way connected with the backstreet boys... I'll admit when i was young and silly I used to be a fan :embarassed::laugh3:

That's alright...it's all in the past now.But poor bloke though, he has to attend their concert.:dozey:

Hey guys. Just a quick request. We’ve had feedback that there are issues with the setlist for this show. So, I’d like your feedback as attendees of the gig. The setlist below is the one I took from this thread the morning after the show (I’ve read back through the thread just to reassure myself).

- The talk video. Is it clear from the way this setlist is phrased that it’s a video & not the boys playing? Any input as to how we could make it clearer if not?

- The Hardest Part. Would both bits have been partial & on the piano?

- Chris played a small bit of Erik Satie's Six Gnossiennes 1. Do we feel this needs inclusion? And if so, where does it go if it bridges two songs?

- The Escapist. How would you log this? Its on the setlist that the boys have (as per the photo from the Philly show). But how do we make it clear that its recorded & the boys aren’t on stage at the time?

== Setlist ==

#[[Life In Technicolor|Life In Technicolor]]

#[[Violet Hill|Violet Hill]]

#[[Clocks|Clocks]]

#[[in My Place|In My Place]]

#[[Viva La Vida|Viva La Vida]]

#[[Yes|Yes]]

#[[42|42]]

#[[Fix You|Fix You]]

#[[strawberry Swing|Strawberry Swing]]

#[[Chinese Sleep Chant|Chinese Sleep Chant (side stage)]]

#[[God Put A Smile Upon Your Face|God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (side stage/techno version)]]

#[[speed Of Sound|Speed Of Sound]]

#[[The Hardest Part|The Hardest Part (partial)]]

#[[Yellow|Yellow]]

#[[Lost!|Lost!]]

#[[The Scientist|The Scientist (SIde Stage - Acoustic)]]

#[[Death Will Never Conquer|Death Will Never Conquer (Side Stage - Acoustic - Will)]]

#[[The Escapist|The Escapist]]<br>'''Encore'''

#[[Politik]]

#[[The Hardest Part|The Hardest Part (piano version)]]

#[[Lovers In Japan]]

#[[Happy Birthday| Happy Birthday]] (to Will)

#[[Death And All His Friends]]

Appreciate your input as always :D

Hey guys. Just a quick request. We’ve had feedback that there are issues with the setlist for this show. So, I’d like your feedback as attendees of the gig. The setlist below is the one I took from this thread the morning after the show (I’ve read back through the thread just to reassure myself).

- The talk video. Is it clear from the way this setlist is phrased that it’s a video & not the boys playing? Any input as to how we could make it clearer if not?

- The Hardest Part. Would both bits have been partial & on the piano?

- Chris played a small bit of Erik Satie's Six Gnossiennes 1. Do we feel this needs inclusion? And if so, where does it go if it bridges two songs?

- The Escapist. How would you log this? Its on the setlist that the boys have (as per the photo from the Philly show). But how do we make it clear that its recorded & the boys aren’t on stage at the time?

== Setlist ==

#[[Life In Technicolor|Life In Technicolor]]

#[[Violet Hill|Violet Hill]]

#[[Clocks|Clocks]]

#[[in My Place|In My Place]]

#[[Viva La Vida|Viva La Vida]]

#[[Yes|Yes]]

#[[42|42]]

#[[Fix You|Fix You]]

#[[strawberry Swing|Strawberry Swing]]

#[[Chinese Sleep Chant|Chinese Sleep Chant (side stage)]]

#[[God Put A Smile Upon Your Face|God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (side stage/techno version)]]

#[[speed Of Sound|Speed Of Sound]]

#[[The Hardest Part|The Hardest Part (partial)]]

#[[Yellow|Yellow]]

#[[Lost!|Lost!]]

#[[The Scientist|The Scientist (SIde Stage - Acoustic)]]

#[[Death Will Never Conquer|Death Will Never Conquer (Side Stage - Acoustic - Will)]]

#[[The Escapist|The Escapist]]<br>'''Encore'''

#[[Politik]]

#[[The Hardest Part|The Hardest Part (piano version)]]

#[[Lovers In Japan]]

#[[Happy Birthday| Happy Birthday]] (to Will)

#[[Death And All His Friends]]

Appreciate your input as always :D

Well this is how I remember it but I did go to both shows so it might not be 100% correct, although I'm pretty sure it is...

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Viva La Vida

Yes

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

Chinese Sleep Chant (side stage)

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (side stage/techno version)

Speed Of Sound

The Hardest Part (partial)- on piano

Yellow

Lost!

The Scientist (SIde Stage - Acoustic)

Death Will Never Conquer (Side Stage - Acoustic - Will)

Bill O'Reilly Video/Thin White Duke Remix of Talk - can't remember what's playing on the screen - politicians I think.

Politik

The Hardest Part (piano version) partial - Chris picked up from where he left off last time

Lovers In Japan

Happy Birthday (to Will)

Death And All His Friends

The Escapist plays as the boys take a bow & exit the stage

No Encore

"Chris played a small bit of Erik Satie's Six Gnossiennes 1. Do we feel this needs inclusion? And if so, where does it go if it bridges two songs?"

I really don't think it needs to be included, he played it for not even 5 seconds. But if you want to include it, he played it in between Speed of Sound and The Hardest Part.

Well this is how I remember it but I did go to both shows so it might not be 100% correct, although I'm pretty sure it is...

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Viva La Vida

Yes

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

Chinese Sleep Chant (side stage)

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (side stage/techno version)

Speed Of Sound

The Hardest Part (partial)- on piano

Yellow

Lost!

The Scientist (SIde Stage - Acoustic)

Death Will Never Conquer (Side Stage - Acoustic - Will)

Bill O'Reilly Video/Thin White Duke Remix of Talk - can't remember what's playing on the screen - politicians I think.

Politik

The Hardest Part (piano version) partial - Chris picked up from where he left off last time

Lovers In Japan

Happy Birthday (to Will)

Death And All His Friends

The Escapist plays as the boys take a bow & exit the stage

No Encore

"Chris played a small bit of Erik Satie's Six Gnossiennes 1. Do we feel this needs inclusion? And if so, where does it go if it bridges two songs?"

I really don't think it needs to be included, he played it for not even 5 seconds. But if you want to include it, he played it in between Speed of Sound and The Hardest Part.

tyvm :)

AWWW ! That is ADORABLE ! His mom looked SO HAPPY !

I'd be a damn proud mother if i were her!

P.S: Did he say they'd be nxt yr on thurs too? He said it on Wed, and i hope its true !

Chris did indeed say they would be back next year..I can only hope and pray it's true:)!!

Chris did indeed say they would be back next year..I can only hope and pray it's true:)!!

when did chris say they would be back? i don't remember him saying it lol...but then again i couldn't understand half the stuff he was saying because of all the screaming lol

Well I thought I would post a few pictures from both shows in Toronto - the first set are from the first show, and the second set are from the second show. Clearly I had better seats on the second night. Anyway here you go...

Confetti x2

P7300702.jpg

P7300707.jpg

After DAAHF

P7300713-1.jpg

The Scientist/Death Will Never Conquer in my section!! On this night I was waiting for this, hoping they'd come to the same place as the night before. I could only take a few pictures of this because my camera batteries were dying...

P7310728.jpg

P7310720.jpg

P7310725.jpg

P7310723.jpg

P7310729.jpg

Thanks!

Also, I saw Chris and Jonny at eTalk as well, wasn't it just the best? Ugghhh I wish it was last Thurs!

YAY! Seeing those two was the BEST...my legs ached after though b/c I was outside at the window and had to stand on my tippy toes to see them. Well worth it though!!!!;)