✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

? about Chris's voice

roche714

^I wouldn't go quite that far, but he's definitely strained it and needs some further training and a long rest to get it back properly. It's obvious the constant touring has seriously damaged his voice, and it's sad to see. I've seen it happen to other singers that young too if they don't learn how to use their voices properly.

It doesn't have to happen to all singers, but you need coaching to learn to avoid the pitfalls. (I say this as someone whose mother taught singers in their 80s who still had their voices.)

I know a lot of fans will disagree with me, but for his sake, I wish he'd take a year off and heal.

Theres no doubt that Chris has an amazing voice that can echo throught an arena. But like every GREAT singer he does have his off days in my opinion they make to concert more real and amazing. I rember at the Boston show on aug 4th at the begining of Death And All His Friends Chris's voice cracken on the "we got married" and he was like "Aw fuck it!" lol heres the vid

It was a great moment! :laugh3:

-Jesse-

It just seems to me that he's straining more and cant really sing as well as he used to. He still sounds amazing but if u watch him a lot in concert he lets the crowd do a lot of the singing in some of the hard parts of songs like in loj when it goes "to see what i'm ALL about" he doesnt usually sing the all and in the amsterdam video his voice breaks when he sings it the first time.

I still think he's great but i do think that one reason they only perform for about an hour and a half is b/c his voice cant take it. When he sang yellow in DC he still sounded top notch, but i dont know if his voice can last for long periods of time

Actually, 95 minutes is the standard running time for most arena/stadium shows, that's all that is, but as to the rest of your post...absolutely true.

I love Chris's voice; I could listen to him forever. Although his voice has changed a bit for Viva la Vida, it's still great; it has only changed in style. In any case, he will always sound wonderful to me. :heart:

more ???s

Sorry to be a big dummy, but, when did all this with Chris having serious problems with his voice happen??? I just only recently found out that Chris had had surgery on his vocal chords. I'd no idea that he ever had issues or even needed surgery!:confused:

The only difference I notice with his voice during touring now, compared to AROBTTH times is that he jumps/dances/runs around a lot more now, and so his voice suffers for it. During AROBTTH tour, I think he sat behind the piano a lot more, so he was able to sing a lot cleaner and with more stamina than the last two tours, where he doesn't play as much and instead runs around like a maniac:lol:. If you listen to any of the videos of The Scientist acoustic from VLV tour, for ex., you can't say that he doesn't sound "as good as he used to." !!! I just think he puts more emphasis on the "showman" aspect of the concert instead of just singing.

He had surgery in 2001 methinks - strained his vocal chords. That's also how he got the neck scars. It was reported fell quite ill during the Parachutes US tour and that's why he couldn't sing, but that doesn't explain the surgery. The rest of the US Parachutes tour was cancelled.

Yeah... AROBTTH it was pretty rare for him to muck up actually. Now that he's been bouncing around since X&Y not only does he hit the bum notes more often but he forgets lyrics a lot more, expecially this tour. Concentrate, Chrissy, or next time it'll be a whipping :whip:

He had surgery in 2001 methinks - strained his vocal chords. That's also how he got the neck scars. It was reported fell quite ill during the Parachutes US tour and that's why he couldn't sing, but that doesn't explain the surgery. The rest of the US Parachutes tour was cancelled.

Oh wow, thanks for info! Just when you think you know everything, everyday you learn something new:)

I think the biggest vocal difference from parachutes to now is his accent. Has anyone else noticed that his Brit accent has faded a lot over the years? It kinda bugs me cause it's part of his identity, and yet he's beginning to sound less British and more American.

On top of that, he seems to be singing louder or something. His voice was a lot softer and smoother on older tracks, whereas now it sounds like he's yelling at times. I think he needs to get back in touch with his original style instead of letting his voice coach or whoever change his singing.

On top of that, he seems to be singing louder or something. His voice was a lot softer and smoother on older tracks, whereas now it sounds like he's yelling at times. I think he needs to get back in touch with his original style instead of letting his voice coach or whoever change his singing.

But that's the point several are making on this thread. Occassionally he seems to be struggling whereas previously he never had any problems.

I think the biggest vocal difference from parachutes to now is his accent. Has anyone else noticed that his Brit accent has faded a lot over the years? It kinda bugs me cause it's part of his identity, and yet he's beginning to sound less British and more American.

I've noticed that too, but I guess living with an American wife some of the accent must rub off onto him. More irksome is the fact so much of the tour is devoted to North America, yet we just get a slither in December here in the UK. Let's hope it's for the oft touted reason of running flawless shows here (the glitches having been ironed out elsewhere).

I'm sorry I totally disagree with the American accent thing. He uses American slangs/sayings quite a lot but his accent could not be more British if he tried. He doesn't even really live over there, he lives here most of the time.

Oh and I have recordings from back in 2002 where he's struggling to hit some of the notes so it isn't a recent thing, he's always had problems.

^I do agree that his accent used to be 'thicker' and he's picked up more US slang along the way, but I don't think that's an explanation for his vocal problem any more than you.

The surgery was most likely to remove nodes from his vocal chords...very painful surgery from which you need a long recovery time, which he most likely didn't get since they're always recording and touring.

Whoever said they were concerned about the Sept., Oct. schedule shares my opinion. The schedule mostly has the guys playing 3 nights on, 1 off, and it's BRUTAL on the human voice, even at 95mins. a night.

But hey, as long as the label is making money off their cash cow, who cares if Chris can sing in 20 years? Everyone's making money NOW and the bottom line's all that most of the execs care about!:cry:. (If you were angry reading the first part of that statement, then, welcome to my world!)

I've seen FAR too many singers destroyed by label/promoter touring schedules, and even though they DO make good money, their talent needs to be protected for the long run, not just while their albums are selling!

(I already know someone's going to say 'aw, wahhhh, poor Chris has to make all those millions and suffer a bit...for you who want to post that, try singing live shows for a year...then get back to me!)

I'm sorry I totally disagree with the American accent thing. He uses American slangs/sayings quite a lot but his accent could not be more British if he tried. He doesn't even really live over there, he lives here most of the time.

Oh and I have recordings from back in 2002 where he's struggling to hit some of the notes so it isn't a recent thing, he's always had problems.

Slightly off-topic, but it's interesting how you still hear the same 'accent'. Most North Americans I know hear less and less of it with each album. I guess we notice it in the context of our own? Probably for another thread, but a really cool point.

Really? you think his accent is the same? To me the difference is so obvious. In interviews and in song, his accent is changed. He used to speak as if he had marbles in his mouth, and now he sounds British-lite. I'm American and to me it seems really obvious, but I guess it varies what other people hear.

anyway, I had no idea about the surgery. yikes! Don't you get nodes from screaming/yelling when singing? I didn't think you could develop those from singing softly and using your falsetto. :thinking: you learn something new everyday!

To me its not a change in his accent I hear in interviews etc, its a change in the way he carries himself, if that makes any sense. Let me try to explain. Lots of young guys I know act and talk the way he used to in interviews. Kinda slurry and difficult to understand, usually because they don't have too much confidence in themselves and are not used to being asked to put their thoughts into words, so frankly they can be bad at it.

Now in interviews its not that Chris says a great deal more or talks with a new accent, just that what he does say is said more loud and clear, as he's learned the game a bit more. Thats always been my take on it at least. As his accent seems as strong as the other three's.

As for his singing, yes its changed a little, both in sound and style. But with age thats going to happen a bit. I think its highlighted this time by the change in technique on this new record, a change I don't think he's particularly great at transferring live, but hey its his choice to try and sing lower. And everyone else is right too, with all the running around he does the vocal parts are going to suffer in concert, but we all like watching him, so what are you gonna do lol.