✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

? about Chris's voice

roche714

I was looking at some video on you tube and a lot of people say Chris sounds great on the old stuff and his voice is really sounding bad now.I hate to hear when people say tha about his voice

Im a pretty new Coldplay fan so I was wondering what some of you oldtimers think about his voice compared to a few years ago. :kiss:

He had a different singing style back then though and it was that singing style that almost cost him his voice completely.

He's had to learn how to sing correctly, which is why he uses a singing teacher.

His voice is still amazing though, he does go through rough patches where maybe he's tired or ill which does affect it quite badly, but when he's on form it's fantastic.

His voice is getting worse.

Good still.

That's just being honest.

When it's great it's great but I've noticed recently when performing live (whether through nerves or what I don't know) Chris has moments where he misses notes or doesn't sound as good live.

The US tour (what I've seen of it) has been OK, but some live performances on TV have been poor but his previous standards.

I'm hoping it's just nerves and not something that's happening to his voice. It's one of the most beautiful sounds on the planet when firing on all cylinders!

Well in the old days most of the songs were written a little bit lower than the songs on X&Y. He would generally sing in his middle range and then throw in a few falsetto notes to make you go wow. It sounded higher and more fragile because it was untrained and sounded like it took more effort to hit the high notes. And like Mimi said, it shredded his voice. There were long periods where he couldn't even talk. I think it's that fragility that many people miss, but there was no way he could build a lasting career on it.

By X&Y because he had had training, his voice was much stronger so he sang high a lot more, and made it sound a lot easier. But the high songs (Speed of Sound comes to mind) stretched his voice out more live, and were more likely to suffer on a bad night and come across as a bit shrill. This time around the songs are lower, and what little I've heard live so far sounds better for it.

But from all the bootlegs I've heard from over the years, his voice has always been beautiful in any era, and there have always been the occasional rough shows in every era, just like with any singer. It's the way he's used it that has changed from album to album, and he's certainly at his strongest right now. I think he's found just the right balance.

i love chris's voice at any time, and i know he couldn't have continued on singing like he did on parachutes because he would have killed his voice permanently, but...sometimes i wish something could reach the level of "shiver" again for me. that song just makes me die, with the way he sings it on the record. i can't even explain it, but it just has this different quality to it that i absolutely love, and there seems to be the most emotion in that song.

It just seems to me that he's straining more and cant really sing as well as he used to. He still sounds amazing but if u watch him a lot in concert he lets the crowd do a lot of the singing in some of the hard parts of songs like in loj when it goes "to see what i'm ALL about" he doesnt usually sing the all and in the amsterdam video his voice breaks when he sings it the first time.

I still think he's great but i do think that one reason they only perform for about an hour and a half is b/c his voice cant take it. When he sang yellow in DC he still sounded top notch, but i dont know if his voice can last for long periods of time

Lots of professional singers try not to speak at all the day of a performance in order to save their vocal chords....and you KNOW that Chris is not doing that...he's in interviews or whatever the same day as he has to perform that night.

All that being said, I think his voice sounds tremendous. Listen to the acoustic versions of LIJ and Lost? that are out there...they are amazing.

:)

:shocked2:I have to agree with you on this one.

AROBTTH era, singing seemed effortless to him - Live 2003 DVD for example. Now he seems to strain so much. I don't know if that's cos he concentrates more on prancing around...

I agree, Chris's voice is horrible , it sounds really strained and nasal, this happens to all singers unfortunately (but not as young as Chris though). And it's only gonna get worse, he

s just gonna have to learn to control his voice more and stop singing in falsetto, cause that

s absolute torture to hear. : )