✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

When Did Music Become Real For You?

winigwl

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Weirdly enough, I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and that was even before I realised this thread was here. For me, music was always something that was involved in my life - my parents weren't particularly musical but we always had the radio on and even today I would far rather listen to the radio than watch the TV or something. As I was growing up, around the 9-12 sort of years, I think I just kind of listened to the average, generic pop that gets churned out nowadays, and thought nothing of it, but as I've hit my teens and got closer to young adulthood, music has very much become one of, if not THE, most important aspect of my life.

In fact, I'm 99.999999% sure it was Coldplay who helped me realise that there was music out there not designed with the average person in mind, instead for real music-lovers. Music used to be something I was perfectly happy to listen to, but wouldn't go out of my way for: now, I listen two, three, four times a day at least, and whereas my friends just listen to the odd song on their iPod's, I could listen to mine for hours and hours on end. One of my best friends and I were talking the other day and she asked me how I could do nothing but listen to music, and didn't I find it boring. I said that I could never find music boring, and that I wouldn't feel complete without it - a whole chunk of me would be missing. Music is so joyful, the epitome of the human mind (or mine anyway!) and something I could never even comprehend living without. I used to be just an average person when it came to music, but as I've matured it is something that just completes me: life without it would be dull, dark and miserable. I know some people think that everyone loves music the same, but there is no doubt that others enjoy and really FEEL it more - my mum and dad always say that they were musical but not to the extent that I am, and my friends just don't get how important it is to me. I'm glad though to have found a forum, and effectively a community, where not only does everyone love Coldplay, but they also feel the same way about music as I do. It helps a lot to know there are thousands out there who feel the same passion :)

^^ Wow, very well said!

For me, I'd have to say it was due to Muse. I always loved music and seemed to be more 'into it' than anyone in my family except maybe my dad, and I used to listen to the radio a lot, but I could never find a 'sound' that really got me engaged in the music. And as I'm sure you're well aware most radio stations don't exactly have much variety. The one I listened to was a "rock" station, but I remember one day they just happened to play 'Starlight' by Muse (which was a very unusual type of song for the station to play) and I just fell in love with it straight away. As soon as I got home I went onto Muse's website, and even just listening to the tracks on there like 'Bliss' and 'Map of the Problematique' blew my mind. I soon bought all their albums and quickly developed a hunger for music, pretty much any music, that was just a little different to the stuff I was used to hearing. As soon as I moved out of home and had a computer to myself I started investigating and discovered this whole new world of music I hadn't even known existed, and I haven't stopped since :D

I joined this forum not two hours after my first concert (being Coldplay, of course!)

Every time someone asks me what type of music I like I just say "weird" because 9 times out of 10 they have never heard of any of the bands I'm into lately :P

I think I'd have to say when I first heard Oasis. That's when I actually got into good music.

Unfortunately, I have to admit, before that I was a Britney Spears/Spice Girls/New Kids On The Block kind've kid. Why? That's all I knew, since it was all my older sister listened to. Then I started to get into my own kind've music. Oasis first, U2, then Coldplay, then The Flaming Lips, etc.

So about eight or so years ago. Maybe nine.

let me tell you about the time when I first understood music.....

I was very little at the time and my Dad was driving me home from preschool. We were sitting in the car in the driveway, waiting for a song to finish before we went inside. A song by Santana was playing, and it had a lengthy guitar solo. When it was over, I asked my dad (little singing-loving girl that i was) "Why do you like him? He doesn't even sing." And my dad said,

"It's like the guitar is his voice."

Then I really "got" music, no matter what it was. I started thinking all instruments were like different voices, with so many possibilities. Each one different, but the same in a way. I started to identify with it more and it became more "real."

Im just starting to listen to radiohead and my eyes are now opening up. I just started listening to OK computer but....Kid A, im struggling with it, can anyone tell me the meaning of this???

Kid A can be difficult to listen to at first, but after a while you'll realise it's just like their previous albums, but better.

My dad had a video of me when i was four dancing to "Another one bites the dust"

I remeber dancing in my loft to casettes of the Beatles, Beach Boys and Goo Goo Dolls when i was 7...in my little mermaid costume of coarse

but I'd say that I REALLY fell for music when *prepare for cliche

I heard Parachutes for the first time

it was in early 2001,

my first night at an orphanage

I was 11

I had no idea where i had been left off and i was scared and there were centipedes....

by my roommate gave me her walkman with parachutes on it

i heard Dont Panic come on and it was so soft and comforting and warm and lovely

the CD made me feel safe and loved and I fell asleep

the room mate became the best friend I ever had

...thats where the obsession began

andove of Oasis and Travis followed soon after

Im just starting to listen to radiohead and my eyes are now opening up. I just started listening to OK computer but....Kid A, im struggling with it, can anyone tell me the meaning of this???

I could describe what the album means to me, but frankly it wouldn't make you appreciate it more. Its not like a rock opera where you can begin to understand it once somebody gives you the program, its ultimately just a collection of songs.

I suggest you keep listening for a week or so until it sinks in. I'm not saying you'll love it or even like it (its one of their least accessible albums), but let yourself adjust to embrace the oddness that might be turning you off, and you might start seeing it in a different light.

I kinda agree with that, actually. I find it much easier to listen to the album straight through as opposed to individual tracks. IDK, it seems to make much more sense that way to me. Not that I can't listen to the tracks separately, but you know.

^yeah, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't holistic or it doesn't matter what order you listen to the songs. Kid A is definitely more than the sum of its parts, my point was just that its pointless to ask 'what does it mean?' as if there's a coherent verbal storyline that progresses throughout.

Well here is my story:

there have been two different moments in my life when I've said wow... that's something more than just music.

The first time was when I heard Fix You (quite usuall as I'va seen) in that moment I stared suporting a band as I had never done before, and that got me into the world of music and made me go to the second moment of my short-music life.

It was when I firt go to a U2 concert (the only U2 concert I have been), coldplay concert was important too but U2 changed my life.

I was there, first rows in front of Bono a bit to Adam, and and when Sunday Bloody Sunday came.... I don't know how to explain it, it was the moment I said I must learn music or at least try, I want to be, to feel the music. My granfmother had just had a heart atac and everything went together and well... (she is right now luckly).

And then WOWY so beautiful.... I don't know the figure of Adam impressed me a lot. I think I just said I want to feel like this too. I started saving money and then I bought a bass.

• 3 weeks later...
I would not call Kid A a "collection of songs" that's what I'd call OK Computer and The Bends, they don't flow as albums, Kid A really does flow, it's an incredibly intricately worked out album that imo can only be listened to as an album.

I'd have to disagree with OK Computer. I think that it flows very well from start to finish (with the exception of electioneering, which I feel should've been on the Bends). I think that Radiohead overall are able to have their albums flow well. I think though that Kid A flows the best of all their albums.

^yeah, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't holistic or it doesn't matter what order you listen to the songs. Kid A is definitely more than the sum of its parts, my point was just that its pointless to ask 'what does it mean?' as if there's a coherent verbal storyline that progresses throughout.

I don't think that albums that flow necessarily have to have some sort of meaning behind it. For example I think one of the best flowing albums ever is Abbey Road by the Beatles, yet most of those songs don't relate to eachother.

^fully agree, plus abbey road is my favorite beatles album :P

I think music has always been as real to me as it is now. i grew up listening to pink floyd aaaalll the time, when I was a baby and my mom couldn't deal with me crying any more my dad used to take me for 2 hour drives in his car with the wall or dark side of the moon on repeat. when i was about 11 though (when i came to coldplaying, ha, ha, oh god i can't believe its been this long) i started discovering more bands that appealed to my musical tastes.

^fully agree, plus abbey road is my favorite beatles album :P

I think music has always been as real to me as it is now. i grew up listening to pink floyd aaaalll the time, when I was a baby and my mom couldn't deal with me crying any more my dad used to take me for 2 hour drives in his car with the wall or dark side of the moon on repeat. when i was about 11 though (when i came to coldplaying, ha, ha, oh god i can't believe its been this long) i started discovering more bands that appealed to my musical tastes.

Abbey Road is my favorite album of all time... with In Rainbows as a close second

i'm the same in that my parents were a huge influence on my musical upbringing

I'd listened to music for years before I really "understood" it. All those years of Fall Out Boy, Weird Al, and Linkin Park were fun (okay, so I still listen to Weird Al from time to time), but I only listened casually. In fact, very little of this was music that I listened to on my own. That didn't change until my senior year of high school (2006), which is much later than most of you. It's probably cliche to mention on a Coldplay forum, but it really was Coldplay that helped change things (it started with X&Y, although discovering AROBTTH was the clincher). From there, I used Coldplay as a "guide" to other artists as Radiohead and U2. Radiohead took a couple more years to appreciate, but U2 was especially accessible given how I'd heard their hits many times before but could now get addicted to them.

It's funny how I now regularly criticize the stuff I listened to before music "became real" for me, as if that music somehow isn't real also, but I think there's a real difference between simply listening to music and full-on understanding it. :)

Also, on the topic of Radiohead, my calculus teacher had me listen to Hail to the Thief at first and I didn't "get it" (he also had a huge HTTT poster in his classroom). When In Rainbows was released, though, I went backwards in their catalog and finally began to appreciate them. In fact, had I gone forwards, I may never have appreciated them at all.