✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

When Did Music Become Real For You?

winigwl

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread. you know while I'm not much of an instrumentalist, I desperately want my college major to be music related simply because it's the thing I'm most passionate about at the moment. But every so often I get afraid that I exaggerate my passion for music in how it relates to other people passion for it...for I'm sure everyone who truly loves music feels that they love it far more than most people.

For me it was probably the year I discovered "parachutes". I grew up enjoying musical, mainly a lot of classical...and in my teen years I gradually discovered various pop/rock groups. But parachutes was an album that had a truly powerful impact on me and it started a domino effect of related interests, other bands, learning the guitar/piano, playing in an ensemble etc. experiences that have shaped my life.

Music is still fake for me

:rolleyes:

For me, I always loved music. I always had a wide variety of songs I liked, and Coldplay was a huge band for me. But I guess I didn't really start to appreciate the power of music and the deeper meanings behind songs until this past year.

It was at one point when I was becoming addicted to the song "#41" by Dave Matthews Band. One day in school we were watching a movie so I was bored. I decided to write out all the lyrics to the song and go line by line to try to figure out what it meant. By the time I had finished, the song had completely changed for me. Now when I listen to any music, I always look for deep meanings and personal connections in the lyrics and music. It really changed music for me, and showed me how music can change your life.

I have been playing the piano since I was six and now I have come to look at music in a whole new light. Coldplay definetly helped with that. ;)

Music started to be real to me when I really started to listen to lyrics as more than something to be sung outloud. I found that it was something that we all had gone through or were going to go through. For me it helps me relieve stress. That is usually when I start playing the piano, it helps me forget everything.

Music is definelty one of the things that defines us as humans. Whether we take it seriously or not, or whether its Coldplay or someone else that inspires us. It is the one thing that WE ALL have in common.

Probably the best feelings I've had in my first too semesters at college occured while playing an old piano in one of the piano labs. First it was being able to play moonlight sonata through for the first time, and now that I'm better at improvising, pure emotion is just a touch away. Just comes so easy to play scales, chords, different bass notes, arpeggios,(even at my amateur level) and being able to control that emotion you've created to your liking is just the most heavenly feeling.

If I'm ever trapped by myself on a desert island, one of the first things I'd miss would be an instrument of some sort.

I think it was when I started to like The Beatles and I realized how important they were to the world of music... how they changed it and how they're still alive even if their albums were released like 50 years ago...

also when I went to a concert for a first time (U2).... it was so great to see how many people feeling the same and singing so much...

It gets more and more real in varying degrees for me every day I'm alive.

I think the first thing that ever turned me onto actually being interested in music rather than just letting the radio decide would be drive-thru pop-punk like Allister and Mest getting me through hard times in college. I'm never going to forget how amazing those songs felt and they're all still on every playlist I create.

I think I really started to be fascinated by music around the time I got Final Straw - that would be a couple of weeks after its release.

The BIG one was in 2005. September 10 2005 was a really difficult fucking day for me for a LOT of reasons and music's almost the only reason I was still OK the next morning. The song I think I'll always remember falling in love with music to was David Gray - Freedom.

Upon the first listen of X&Y, Fix You absolutely stopped me dead. I was laid on my bed staring at the ceiling as is my custom with every new album I buy and track 4 was like some sort of religious experience. Unforgettable.

Kid A was the first time I was ever AMAZED by an album and was able to talk about music rather than just listen and feel removed from this planet. For a long time I was unable to appreciate it but I think when it just clicked in my head I really started thinking about music as a large part of my life.

Being introduced to Death Cab changed my whole perspective of basically everything in the whole world. Ben Gibbard is so inside my head and it's struck me in the last 3 years listening to their stuff how many people music reaches.

Then I fell in love with Peyton from One Tree Hill and realised quite how important music has become to me.

And today I listened through the proper tracklisting of The Photo Album for the first time ever and I reckon I've fallen a little bit further.

Good thread!

I don't know actually, but it must have been the last 2-3 years. Especially when I started to listen to Coldplay, I started to really think about lyrics and the meaning of the song, and it gave some kind of a new and more meaningful vision to music, and maybe how I can compare the music with my life. Music for me now means so much than before, I can assure you that.

well music has always been important in my life, but when I discovered coldplay (two years ago, due to clocks) I got more onto music... then Idiscovered more great bands and now my life can't go on without music, it's my fav hobby, thanks to that I learned to play the guitar, and I want to learn how to play the violin... well that's not the point but music has alwaays been important for me but now it is even mooore important

PLs pls apreciate me for replying because i hav prepaid internet which sucks by the way..

Hmm........ I belive coldplay made me realize music in a totally different perpective .....as of now.im really getting to be more open to music and to know more bands.. im really getting into the heavy metal stuff... really good music....Before i thought heavy metal was just niose but now im really strting to appreciate it. dont get POP and R&B though i think that music is just stupid and crap,.ROCK I prefer

I would have to say a couple of years ago when i first heard FIX YOU!!....Thats when i realized that music wasnt just something to listen to and dance. It was something that made u think and made u feel..well atleast Coldplays music did!!From their on i started listening to other bands and appreciating good music for its meanings and for what its worth not just its beats!!I would not be able to live without music.I owe that to my favorite band COLDPLAY!!!

I mean it when i say I LOVE THEM and THEY CHANGED MY LIFE!!

It was in 2005 when Speed of Sound and XY came out, my eyes finally opened to rock, the sfter kind, now Im into more heavier stuff, and hate the bands then(except Coldplay) but thats when I drew myself away from the songs i used to hear, and Im grateful because it ws all rap. It was'nt my fault but my eldest Brother, but then he left the house, and my other Bro went work and listened to music with his plumbing workmates and he came home and downloaded them and thats how it all started

well i've been absolutely obsessed with music since i was a baby. my dad told me when i was just learning to walk i'd come up to him every day with one of his records in my hands, and he'd play it for me and i'd just dance around the living room, basically until i passed out. i've allways loved music, but i sort've lost my way with it when i was younger. my sister got me into pop groups.

yeah, like nsync and the backstreet boys.

so that took up like a four or five years of my life, then i started to expand my horizons when i began to get really tired of their crap. and that basically made me find my own personality in music. i found rock and alternative music, so i found coldplay. i'm so glad i don't follow my sister anymore and just listen to... pop. :dozey:. music is such a big deal in my life because i didn't have it so good when i was little... my parents fought all the time so i'd go up into my room and blast a U2 cd or something. it's gotten me through too many hard times to think of, and i really don't know where i'd be without coldplay's music... they've really kept me going. music...IS my soul.

:P!

i've always been a great fan of music, but i really got into it around the end of 2004.

that's when i seriously got into coldplay and tried to get my hands on any piece of music they have ever written.

my love for music mainly arose from the fact that i could relate to what the people were singing (whether it's chrissy whissy martin or later on the likes of conor oberst and ben gibbard).

before i discovered (my love for) music i didn't even know that it's possible to express one's feelings with a few words that effectively.