✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

When Did Music Become Real For You?

winigwl

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this thread first of all.

Secondly, I must say that my musical 'awakening' if you want to call it that, happened probably when I was about 17. Funnily enough I believe I was watching Coldplay at Glastonbury in 2002 (was it, I don't remember!). Also, Radiohead - discovering OK Computer and realising Paranoid Android is the best song ever, also around the same time.

4th July 2003, going to my first music concert was the moment music became real for me

that day is my older sister's birthday :dance:. well, not important :smug:

the day i started is when i listened to natalie imbruglia and then not for a long time i found a band who i have heard for the second time... and yes, it is coldplay :D

• 1 year later...

I'd like to change my statement from before.

Of course as a kid I had listened to The Beatles all my life. And my dad showing me them helped to spark my initial interest for music. But it wasn't until I was around 13 that I think music started to become a big part of my life. There was the concert for NY that introduced me to The Who, and from them I started to get into other bands. Also around this time I started to play guitar and then about a year after about a year or so I started playing music w/ my friends. So I guess although I listened and had some appreciation for music, music didn't become full real until I was that age, about 8 years ago or so.

I guess for me, music became real in 2006. Of course I'd listened to music before, extensively even. But in 2006 I first started listening to lots of different bands and genres whereas before I would only listen to (mainly) one band or genre.

Though my first real festival in 2003 (not one of those crappy free things) and first concert in 2007 were pretty big moments as well. :nice:

This question, based on my interpretation, is somewhat vague. The only way I can fully explain my view on the topic is to talk about the main highlights in my life as far as music is concerned, and perhaps go from there. It'll probably be a bit lengthy, so bear with me.

When I was young, my mom always played the oldies station in the car. That's just how things worked. That's the first type of music I became accustomed to listening.

My first personal experience with music came in the summer before 4th grade, when I started taking piano lessons. My parents had suggested the idea to me at the end of 3rd grade. Being 9 years old, I was intrigued, and I decided to pursue it. I came to love the piano. I still consider to be the instrument my first love, even though I only piddle with it these days. It's through my piano studies that I began to discover classical music, which before hand was quite foreign to me. This led to my listening of classical music, which I love to pieces now.

Then, in the 6th grade, I joined band. This further changed my musical ideas. Being able to play an instrument like the horn was amazing for me. I had already decided I wanted to get into music by the time I got through my first year of piano, but during the 8th grade, in my third year of horn playing, that's when I decided that I wanted to be a band director instead. My high school band director further inspired me to pursue this, and this is why today, I'm in my fourth semester of being a music education major.

As far as modern music goes, it would have to be the 8th grade. I tried a different radio station for a change. I heard "Here Without You" by 3 Doors Down, and even though I didn't know what it was, and although it was not what I was familiar with, I liked it. The next day, I told my friends about it, and it's through them that I began to explore modern music. I started listening to the modern music station in my town, and whenever my parents were out of the house, I'd switch the TV on to Fuse or some other TV channel so I could listen more.

Another turning point is, in actuality, my first semester of college. My concert band's repertoire for that semester consisted of pieces and composers that I had never heard of, and that I at first disliked. Contemporary classical music was, at the time, something that was unheard of. I mean, sure, I knew about Stravinsky and Bartók, but John Mackey was a name that was, before then, non-existent in my mind. It took me a while to get used to such atonality, but I eventually came around. I think it was this (among other things, such as recitals within my college) that intiated my hardcore craving to discover new things as far as music is concerned, and not only in the classical world.

I like to think that each day, I grow musically in some way. I think that music is everlasting, and it's something that you can't just grasp in one sitting. Music is something that in order to even remotely understand, you have to spend quite a bit of time with it. I've been personally involved with music for approximately a decade now, and there are still so many things that are left to be seen and heard, and there are so many things that I don't know, but wish I knew. I hope to be able to make such explorations and find discoveries for a very long time.

So yeah. That's what I think of it all.

About four years ago when i was searching for music to put in my music player. Somehow I came across with band named Red Hot Chili Peppers. I immediately fell in love with "snow (hey oh)". Then i decided to look them up on almighty youtube. And when i saw them playing with such a huge passion.

And that was it.

OOooooh lovely thread :surprised:

I think the first time I heard a song by Selena...and when my dad bought me my first CD by her back when I was 5 hahahaha... I used to dance and sing to those songs and I remember feeling so awesome with the rhythm and all <3

I was about 8 or 9 years old. Dad was watching some local music festival on tv when these girls with heavenly voices started singing in some strange language I had never heard before. I had never even heard a foreign language that sounded like it. It certainly wasn't French.

But it sounded so amazing. The strange sounds let me focus on the way the music itself sounded and I felt something so intense because of it. It wasn't like the classical music I had grown up listening to, and it certainly didn't sound like the pop and rock music I wasn't allowed to listen to at all. (Long story... religious reasons.)

My dad explained that they were singing in Gaelic and that they were from Cape Breton where some Scottish people could still speak it. The group was the Rankin Family who went on to kick off a national Celtic revival of sorts (it was long before Riverdance).

I'm pretty sure this was the song:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dIspGHsiZ4]YouTube- Mo Run Geal, Dileas[/ame]

Being an oldest child with firstborn syndrome, I never really challenged my parents on the modern music rule growing up, and since the best highschool had to offer was BSB and Britney and so on I didn't have any motivation to care. My younger siblings did though. Some of their music I liked, some I didn't. (Years later I began to realize my brother had awesome taste, though. His stuff from then is some of my favorites now.) I eventually started listening to the radio in an attempt to fit in but I still didn't like it or really get it. There would be a song on a tv show that would affect me (like Coldplay's Trouble on Roswell, though I didn't know what it was at the time), but mostly it sounded so dull compared to my favorite traditional music.

And then came Coldplay. Clocks to be specific. It was the first time something modern affected me emotionally in the same way Gaelic stuff had when I was little. That was when I realized that even modern music could be that powerful. And then the search for music that sounded like Coldplay's early days led me into the world of indie music, and the rest is history.

I have always liked lusic but i think it was at the start of this summer or so, now i sorta feel like i "grew up" or something at the end of last year and music became a really big part of it and then after my coldplay concert it changed even more and now i can't even imagine living without music or even coldplay!!

My first fascination with music came from classical and celtic music c.d.'s my mom and I would listen to while we read. After that though I rarely ever followed music or bought c.d.'s, mainly cause I didn't care much for anything I heard on the radio or what my siblings listened to. So I guess my current obsession with music was triggered by the six month span four, five years ago where I listened to and collected coldplay's first three albums, and was just hooked. There was a specific time with each album where I had a truly amazing experience, the like of which I never had before. Since then I've understood music to be somewhat of a drug, which is why I get impatient when I go too long without feeling the full affect of great music.

I'm not actually sure I can answer this question accurately. I can say that as a child, I grew up in a music loving home. My parents always had the telly on one of the music channels (you know, back when they actually played music at least 30% of the time.) or the radio on. I always heard so many great things, and some things over and over. Being as I didn't ask many questions regarding these bands, or anything of that sort, I didn't exactly learn band or album names except some of the family favourites.

I would usually turn my radio on as well, and listen to the same stations that my family had. Then, I didn't realise just how narrow their tastes were, and as a result, I too became intolerant of anything that wasn't mainstream rock and roll. I was very picky, and so much so that I would reject much of the music that my brother liked, for example (metal), and stuck to what was familiar.

U2 was a favourite for me at this point in time. I found a lot of comfort in their music during what was a very screwy time in my life. I'm not sure what exactly caused me to drift from them, short of perhaps they reminded me of some not so great times.

In 2006, I rediscovered my love for U2, and two years later, that led me into another notable band in my history of music loving - Porcupine Tree. As a matter of fact, I had a problem liking their music because it wasn't a compressed three minute pop-rock single. Watching the live DVD was a real turning point for me. Something clicked and I realised just how amazing they were. From there, I began to explore Steven Wilson's other musical projects and influences and found so many wonderful, somewhat unknown bands and artists.

I suppose you could say discovering Porcupine Tree is when music really became real for me. Not only did music come to life, but I did with it.