✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 2012 Motor Racing Thread (F1 & More)

Loki0012

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it's still way too early to tell if it really is a step in the right direction to make things more competitive & interesting. but then F1 needs less parades & more overtaking anyway.

Singapore last year could well have turned out to be just another parade on a new track & the novelty of being a night race + street race. luckily it turned out to be full of thrills & spills...along with a nice come back (albeit a bit late in the game) for Alonso. but then, i digress. onwards with 2009's season!

Guest howyousawtheworld

Button on pole!! Incredible performance by the Brawn GP team. Ross Brawn is a god, as all of us Schumacher and Ferrari fans already know. Beautiful to see Rubens back to where he belongs, at the front of the grid! Go Rubens and Jenson!

What did British viewers make of the BBC's coverage so far. I thought it was BRILLIANT. A refreshing change although it would have been nice to have James Allen commentating. And yes, The Chain, was well worth the wait. Can still make anything seem exciting! Brilliant intro.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZWNGkHzb-c]YouTube - BBC Formula 1 Official Intro 2009 - The Chain Is Back![/ame]

banner_australia.gif

Updates Guys!

1st Pole Position - J.Button

2nd Pole Position - R.Barichello

3rd Pole Position - J.Trulli

4th - L.Hamilton

16th - K. Raikonnen

Out - F. Massa

Out - S.Vettel (Damn Kubica!)

I am really loving the color of the new Brawn Cars:wink3:

P.sAnyways Thanks for the news and updates from the you guys! It makes this thread so much interesting!

i think it's still way too early to tell if it really is a step in the right direction to make things more competitive & interesting. but then F1 needs less parades & more overtaking anyway.

!

So far, so good. That was a fantastic result for F1 as well as for the team and the drivers.

A fairytale ending to the first race.;)

Guest howyousawtheworld

What a FANTASTIC start to the season. Jenson Button didn't put a foot wrong all race. Lewis Hamilton -3rd PLACE!!!! WOW! (albeit after Trulli was given a deserved, if harsh penalty). A sensational drive by Lewis in what everyone sees as a bad car. Yes he got help by the safety car, but you create your own luck don't you.

So far, so good. That was a fantastic result for F1 as well as for the team and the drivers.

A fairytale ending to the first race.;)

indeed! the usual order of F1 domination by Mclaren & Ferrari has been ursurped by the (reborn) newcomer / underdogs. now to see if the momentum lasts for Sepang & maybe even the rest of the season.

tho i'm still rooting for Raikkonen to have a better season this year than 2008 (which was just plain crap for him). :thinking:

indeed! the usual order of F1 domination by Mclaren & Ferrari has been ursurped by the (reborn) newcomer / underdogs. now to see if the momentum lasts for Sepang & maybe even the rest of the season.

tho i'm still rooting for Raikkonen to have a better season this year than 2008 (which was just plain crap for him). :thinking:

It will just be great if the outcomes of races aren't foregone conclusions any more.;)

Guest howyousawtheworld

Certainly KERS and the difference in performance of the slicks and super soft slicks, added to the reduced downforce regualtions has made for what should be an entertaining season.

Rain is expected on Sunday, which if it does happen will cause chaos in the dimming light of Sepang. Remember 2001 and the rain then? Torrential doesn't even describe that weather good enough!

Great race, nice to see Button get another win, and great for Braun. Hope BAR's yo-yo curse hasn't followed them and they can stay up top all year.

What was up with Rubens at the start though? He punts four cars off the track to take second. :(

I wonder how things are going to change once the drivers really start to get the hang of using the slick tires and the Kers (sp?) devices. Were any of them even around the last year F1 had slicks? :thinking:

Any English viewers who were watching the BBC coverage? TBH I miss James Allen's commentary, so please pleas please, even if you're not from Britain sign this petition to re install the informative and knowledgable James Allen as our f1 commentator again.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bring-back-james-allen/signatures.html

I quite liked the new guy, though I agree I really did miss just hearing Allen's voice there. At least they kept Martin Brundle around.

Certainly KERS and the difference in performance of the slicks and super soft slicks, added to the reduced downforce regualtions has made for what should be an entertaining season.

Rain is expected on Sunday, which if it does happen will cause chaos in the dimming light of Sepang. Remember 2001 and the rain then? Torrential doesn't even describe that weather good enough!

yeah...it's been pretty wet weather in this part of the region of late. + Sepang's had to push back the race timing to a later time like Melbourne this year thanks to the night race for S'pore.

Great race, nice to see Button get another win, and great for Braun. Hope BAR's yo-yo curse hasn't followed them and they can stay up top all year.

What was up with Rubens at the start though? He punts four cars off the track to take second. :(

I wonder how things are going to change once the drivers really start to get the hang of using the slick tires and the Kers (sp?) devices. Were any of them even around the last year F1 had slicks? :thinking:

BAR didn't get any points all season if I remember correctly. There was waay too much hype around the team. I like the the fact that Brawn GP did so well in their first race. I heard an interview with Jenson Button before the race and they asked him about his expectations and he was like he had no idea where they'd actually end up. I didn't believe they had a chance to this well to be honest. It's quite common to get a surprising result on the Friday practice of the first race of the season but the top teams usually do turn up when it matters and 'shock' everyone!

True, there weren't a lot of drivers around when F1 last had slicks. When was that... 1997? Barrichello, Fissichella, Trulli I think. Can't think of anyone else.:thinking:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7978186.stm

What the hell? So Toyota decided not to pursue their appeal but the FIA themselves decided to investigate the matter further.

How can they accuse McLaren or Lewis Hamilton of deliberately misleading the stewards? They're saying they didn't feel like they had to give them all the information which they already had on the tape anyway. I can't see why the team or Hamilton would lie about this. Like he must have known that talks on the team radio will be available to the FIA.

Besides Trulli DID break the rules no matter what McLaren or Hamilton said. Even if Hamilton deliberately slowed down. It might not be be fair but Trulli knows the rules so he shouldn't get tricked into making a mistake.

Tried to watch the race during my sleeping break at the hospital... didn't have much success though :laugh3: Every time I woke up many cars had switched positions :lol: then I slept again and I just remember seeing heavy rain... and then it was over :stunned: I wished Barrichello had done sligthly better at the end but I still love him :P

Nice to see Button doing well, he has had such an unreliable car but now he has a great car which has such better traction control and downforce that he is able to keep the car running smooth through chicanes and appexes.