✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 2012 Motor Racing Thread (F1 & More)

Loki0012

Guest howyousawtheworld

Jenson and Brawn GP are unstoppable. Back in 2001, when Button was struggling with Benetton and Ross Brawn was Ferrari through and through, this was the last thing that anyone would have expected back then. I am still absolutely AMAZED. Seeing Jenson Button mature from potential talent, to world championship leader has been an emotional, rollercoaster ride and it might just get even better! This title is a title fight between Jenson and Sebastian Vettel now. Two of the most naturally gifted drivers in recent years deserve to be fighting it. Who knows, Barrichello showed the pace of a winner yesterday so I'm certainly not ruling him out. I'd love to see Rubens win a few races this year, the man is a legend, and to see him back on the podium after what looked like his career was running dry, it's all of a sudden come alive again. F1 - don't you just love it!

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wooo....right on there. Button + Brawn GP look unstoppable right now.

but what's this stir about Ferrari (& possibly Toyota too) quitting F1 next year? i only heard the bit about Ferrari quitting...details! it's something about the rulings, i gather?

heh...he does, actually! now that you mention it...

i don't really know whether a firm decision's been made, but that was the direction things seemed to be headed. granted Ferrari's in a mess right now & i was tempted to think "sore losers already?", but from what i've gathered, they are not alone now on threatening to quit F1.

Red Bull threaten to quit F1

5 days ago

VIENNA (AFP) — Red Bull on Sunday said they could pull out of the Formula One world championship at the end of the season as the revolt over a proposed budget cap grows even more militant.

Dietrich Mateschitz, the owner of the drinks company which backs the team, wants the FIA, the governing body, to change its rules which would place a ceiling of 45 million euros on each team in a drive to slash the sport's huge costs.

"If the proposed rules for 2010 stay unchanged, we will not take part in the 2010 championship," Mateschitz told the Salzburger Nachrichten newspaper in an interview to be published on Monday.

"Teams of manufacturers will no longer take part. Of the teams now, only two or three will remain," added the Red Bull chief who also runs sister team Toro Rosso.

Under the proposed voluntary budget cap, those teams who spend below the figure will be able to take advantage of various technical benefits which are currently banned under current specifications.

On Saturday, Japanese team Toyota said they too would consider their future in the sport with many teams unhappy with the two-tier budget cap system in 2010.

Toyota president John Howett told http://www.autosport.com his team was currently not in a position to commit for next year.

"Under the rules as they are published, we cannot submit an entry," he said.

When asked to clarify what the chances were of Toyota lodging an entry for 2010 by the end of this month, Howett said: "I would say it is very likely we won't enter unless something changes significantly."

On Thursday, Williams technical chief Patrick Head expressed his fears over the risk of a "two-tier championship".

Copyright © 2009 AFP. All rights reserved.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ingucBMJU-6zXOd1hbfhTuDa5YFw

Toyota might be doing a Honda and pulling out, because it's all good with them saying "look at us, we're a green car company" when they race F1 cars who are less green than a 50 year old lettuce.

Ferrari are throwing their toys out of the pram, typical of the team which spends ~650 Million a year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest howyousawtheworld

Toyota have been concerned for a while, since Honda pulled out. That same week they announced that the launch of their car was going to be done over the internet rather than throiwng a massive launch day for journalists. The head of Toyota's f1 programme had to persuade the Toyota excecutives to stay in f1 for this year. So don't be surprised if Toyota aren't on the grid next year, which will be a massive shame after the hype they recieved when entering it back in 2002.

Well done to Jenson Button again. This really is quite exceptional and like Ross Brawn said about his driving, I am lost for words. Scarily Schumacheresque now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest howyousawtheworld

Deja vu only this time Jenson Button is Michael Schumacher. ANOTHER win for Jenson in Turkey. THIS IS UNREAL.

• 1 month later...
Guest howyousawtheworld

Massa In Intensive Care

Ferrari F1 driver Felipe Massa is still in intensive care this morning after a piece of flying debris hit him in the head whilst driving at 200km/h. A nasty nasty accident and the most severe since another Brazilian the great Ayrton Senna lost his life in 1994. It reminds us that despite the quite incredible safety in f1 these days, there is always that element of risk and it was shown yesterday.

Get well soon Felipe.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Michael Schumacher To RETURN!!! OMFG!

The greatest f1 driver of our generation is returning to the sport to take over from the injured Felipe Massa! This is wonderful news which follows Lance Armstrong's successful return to cycling but arguably this is the biggest ever return from a sporting superstar. Can you think of any other big names returning to their sport?