✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

11-Mar-2009: Acer Arena, Sydney, Australia - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

s2394891123_4001.jpg

Acer Arena on March 11 and 12, 2009. Visa pre-sale tickets are available from November 27 via www. visaentertainment.com.au.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24691169-5001026,00.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the thread for the above concert which can be used for all discussion prior to, during and after the gig.

One thread one concert - should hopefully keep everyone organised and up-to-date with Coldplay on the road.

Did you get tickets?

Are you looking for tickets?

Are you looking for ticket swaps?

Need help/directions on getting to the concert?

Not sure what the arrangements and rules are for the particular venue is?

Are you just bloody excited?

Do you have a review for the concert?

Did you take any pictures... share them here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setlist

Life In Technicolor

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Yellow / You're The Voice (John Farnham cover)

Glass Of Water

Cemeteries Of London

Fix You

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno version)

Talk (techno version)

The Hardest Part (Chris piano, Will)

Postcards From Far Away (piano instrumental)

Viva La Vida

Lost!

Speed Of Sound (acoustic)

I'm A Believer (Neil Diamond Cover - acoustic)

Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic - Will vocals)

Viva La Vida (remix interlude)

------

Politik

Lovers In Japan

Death And All His Friends

-------

The Scientist

Life in Technicolor ii

The Escapist (outro)

Photos

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1661

Wiki reviews

http://wiki.coldplaying.com/index.php/11_March_2009:_Acer_Arena%2C_Sydney%2C_Australia

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query=coldplay+sydney+11&search_sort=video_date_uploaded

Life In Technicolor

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFX-bOTGsCw]YouTube - Coldplay - Life in Technicolor/Violet Hill[/ame]

Violet Hill

Clocks

In My Place

Yellow / You're The Voice (John Farnham cover)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFWmjl06bq4]YouTube - Coldplay- Yellow![/ame]

Glass Of Water

Cemeteries Of London

Fix You

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZMyfLi-qCk]YouTube - Coldplay Fix You (EXCILLENT AUDIO)[/ame]

Strawberry Swing

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (techno version)

Talk (techno version)

The Hardest Part (Chris piano, Will)

Postcards From Far Away (piano instrumental)

Viva La Vida

Lost!

Speed Of Sound (acoustic)

I'm A Believer (Neil Diamond Cover - acoustic)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_a_0uYhHug]YouTube - Chris Martin from Coldplay talks to me during the show! (Brisbane, Australia Concert)[/ame]

Death Will Never Conquer (acoustic - Will vocals)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWbtV41Xg98]YouTube - Coldplay Will Champion sings Death Will Never Conquer Live[/ame]

Viva La Vida (remix interlude)

------

Politik

Lovers In Japan

Death And All His Friends

-------

The Scientist

Life in Technicolor ii

The Escapist (outro)

Merchandise

Coldplaying Charity Club Tour Merchandise. All proceeds go to Oxfam Unwrapped.

268863775v16_350x350_Front_Color-CaribbeanBlue.jpg

268868529v16_350x350_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg

273152429v7_240x240_Front_Color-Black.jpg

268868202v9_240x240_Front_Color-BlueWhite.jpg

Check out the shop for more items and other colours.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang out with Coldplay at their Sydney sound check!

Hang out with Coldplay at their Sydney sound check!

The Daily Telegraph and Coldplay are giving you and a friend the chance to go to Coldplay's Sydney sound check at Acer Arena on Wednesday 11 March. You'll get to meet the band and win a copy of Viva La Vida - Prospekts March Eddition.

For your chance to win, simply enter your details below and tell us in 25 words or less why you should attend Coldplay's sound check.

http://dsc.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/m/dt.aspx?id=f97453d263&group=Daily+Telegraph&name=Coldplay+Entry+Form

• 3 weeks later...

Oh Yeah and again....

well perth concert bloody rocked... awesome set up of songs,lights ,sounds..

just absolutley the most fantastic concert ever played there..

took my mrs,daughter and her friends,,

just re-booked to go to the sydney concert ,wed 11th,

with my daughter and her friend,bring it onnnnnnnnnnnn...:laugh3::laugh3:

Sydney Preview: 'Coldplay feels the chill'

coldplay_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

Despite selling millions of albums and developing an edgier sound, Coldplay are yet to win over all their critics, <i>the Sydney Morning Herald writes.</i> For a band trading in supposedly inoffensive rock music, Coldplay have an extraordinary capacity to offend. There's the malarkey that goes with Chris Martin, the lively, idiosyncratic, tabloid-magnet frontman who is married to Gwyneth Paltrow. Then there's Coldplay's music.

In a genre demanding risk and ingenuity, Coldplay have frequently been laden by rock critics and fans alike with the dreaded "safe" tag. The band's biggest crime, in the eyes of naysayers, is they sell records. Tens of millions of them. If they are embraced by the masses who swallow Nickelback and Lady GaGa, they can't be any good then, can they?

Last year, that perception began to change. By employing veteran musician and producer Brian Eno for their fourth album, Viva La Vida, Coldplay shifted their sound and delivered one of their best records, one that at least compensated for their bloated third album, X&Y.

"If you listen to too many responses to things, you would just not do anything," Martin says of those who knock the band, backstage at one of their Melbourne gigs this week. "Whatever you do, somebody's not going to like it."

And the self-deprecating Martin is not being drawn into comparisons with U2 or a verbal spat with Bono, who this week caused a stir when he jokingly called the Coldplay frontman a "wanker". "What do you want me to say? I always thought he felt that way," Martin says. "The difficulty of the whole U2 thing is we're on our fourth record. So we're competing with people's fifth records. We're coming up to Revolver or Joshua Tree. We're at a very different stage."

Coldplay have just upgraded their set at the Sound Relief fundraiser for the Victorian bushfire and Queensland flood appeals (at the SCG next Saturday, March 14) from acoustic to electric. The band are glad to lend their services to the causes, Martin says.

"The bushfires show is a great thing for us to do. We're going to come out with all guns blazing. It will be the full Coldplay experience. The full arsenal. It was only a logistics issue we had to work out as to whether we played acoustics. It's all sorted. We're absolutely ready to go for the show."

Martin, Guy Berryman, Jonny Buckland and Will Champion were living in the same London block of flats when they formed Coldplay in 1998. They were friends for a year before they began playing music together. Last week, they arrived in Australia for the first time in almost three years. More than 100 shows into a world tour, they have their 90-minute arena extravaganza down pat.

Although Viva is well represented, the set list also embraces Coldplay's biggest hits: Clocks, Yellow, Speed Of Sound, In My Place and The Scientist, which is performed on a mini-stage up in the nosebleeds. "We're better at designing shows and performances," bass player Berryman says. "We try to take a big space with a lot of people and make it feel as small as possible. We have different areas in the arenas we play. And we have a few production tricks up our sleeves."

Berryman says employing Eno (and co-producer Markus Dravs, who has worked with Arcade Fire) was an attempt to shift perceptions of the band and their overall sound. "We wanted to have different songs and sounds," he says. "Nobody wants to hear a band churn out the same record over and over. It gets boring. We wanted to freshen it up and see where things would lead us. There was no game plan. We wanted to turn heads and we got about halfway there to doing that."

Was it difficult balancing the creative requirement for experimentation with the expectations of their enormous fan base? "What we haven't left behind is songs and melody, which is what people like about us," he says. "It's how you dress those songs that makes a difference. We will always retain those elements, no matter what we do."

X&Y, released in 2005, was a painstakingly methodical record with a protracted recording and delayed release that famously shrunk the share price of the band's label, EMI. Although deemed a misstep for the band, it's a misstep that sold more than 10 million copies. "We thought the third record was a little bit too long to listen to from beginning to end," Berryman says when asked of its perceived faults.

So gratified are the band with the contrasting circumstances in making Viva La Vida, they are eager to repeat the process and have already started work on a follow-up.

Although Berryman says "you can't be a popular band without having negative press or backlashes", there is no doubt the band have been stung. In particular, The Case Against Coldplay, a stunningly disparaging New York Times essay written in 2005, hurt. The paper's music writer, Jon Pareles, called Coldplay "the most insufferable band of the decade".

Berryman says wearily of the piece: "I can understand a lot of the reasons why people don't like our music. But I find it strange somebody would go to such a strong length to try to topple it. If you don't like it, fine. But why spend your days coming up with a plot to bring us down?"

Speaking to the band's unanimity, although Martin is responsible for many of its biggest hits, band members are given an equal songwriting credit on each track. "Every song has a different origin," Berryman says. "It becomes difficult to break down what each individual contribution is. It could be an entire song Chris has written on the piano or it could be a drum loop or a guitar riff that gets developed. There is no production line."

42, for instance, arguably the best song from the current album, Martin wrote on the piano. "We added the instrumentation and the hooks," Berryman says.

Bearing this in mind, it only makes sense, Berryman says, that Martin would take what is said or written about the band most to heart. "Things are usually directed towards him," Berryman says. "It's in his nature to worry about that. What's good about our band is we all support and stick up for each other. If somebody is having a rough time, we help."

COLDPLAY

Wednesday and Thursday, 7.15pm, Acer Arena, Sydney Olympic Park, 132 849, $110.

SOUND RELIEF

March 14, noon-10pm, Sydney Cricket Ground, soundrelief.com.au, 132 849, $75. Coldplay join Wolfmother, the Presets, You Am I and more.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/music/coldplay-feels-the-chill/2009/03/05/1235842545558.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

where u coming from mste.. i fly to sydney net tues for wwed night concert, we got silversitickets not the best... if u know of any beetter [plze let me know... we had gold res for perth, rekon the side would of beeen better, and chris n the band came up therre...

u got pit ticketss?

A question from a non-local...

How are you guys going back home after the gig?

I would expect it to end about 11pm. Although there are still train services from Olympic Park to Lidcombe, the last train on the Bankstown line leaves Lidcombe at 11.19pm.

Is it easy to take a cab from Acer Arena? :inquisitive:

hey sydneysiders...

i was just wondering if anyone wants to stalk coldplay with me tomorrow in the airport?

ok, i know this is a bit obsessive(the extent of which coldplay can push u) but i've called the sydney airport and they said normally for domestic private plane landing, it will be at the t2 terminal...

so i guess i should just try my luck...

anyone cares to join me? :P