✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

11-Mar-2009: Acer Arena, Sydney, Australia - Tickets, Preview, Meetups, Review/Photos

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh3: My friend who I took said I was the only one she could see singing GOW. It's in my top 3 Coldplay songs atm, along with Politik and Death and All His Friends, so I'm a happy girl. I really wanted some merch, but the line was too long. I may as well just get it off the website. I too, like the butterfly shirt. I at least know what it means though haha!

I got the tour tee, which still isn't on their website yet :thinking:

And the tote since it's much cheaper @ the show than online (but that's because I can only buy from the UK site, the US site fails on me :P)

And we met Will and Chris :dead:

We were waiting outside the loading bay trying our luck. Will came out in a van and was very patient and gracious :heart: He told us both Guy and Jonny had left before him, but Chris was still around. So we waited... and waited...

Then this van with tinted windows came out. It didn't stop, although the person inside was waving at us. Some of us thought it was Chris, but the others weren't convinced, so we continued waiting until this nice security guard informed us that Chris was INDEED coming out, although we were to wait quietly and not mob his car.

So we stood at a respectful distance before Kelly came out and opened the door for Chris. He signed everything we threw at him :laugh3:, and took a couple of pictures.

My hands are still shaking.

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!

That must have been sooo amazing! You've met Will and Chris!!

Did you make some pictures? What did he say?

What an experience!!!! :dance:

(I am soooo jealous :D)

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!

That must have been sooo amazing! You've met Will and Chris!!

Did you make some pictures? What did he say?

What an experience :dance:

(I am soooo jealous :D)

I was so nervous... my hands still cannot stop shaking although I try not to.

Will was really nice :dead: I didn't manage to say much to both because there were just too many people and everyone was trying to get a few words in themselves. Although one of the other persons waiting for Coldplay told Chris that I came from Singapore to Sydney to watch them, and Chris said 'Wow thanks.' :nice:

Will was really nice :dead: I didn't manage to say much to both because there were just too many people and everyone was trying to get a few words in themselves. Although one of the other persons waiting for Coldplay told Chris that I came from Singapore to Sydney to watch them, and Chris said 'Wow thanks.' :nice:

Well, that would have upstaged my "I came from Adelaide to see you" :P

Ohh I can imagine your hands are shaking, I would feel the same way. It's amazing you've met them :)

Sounds like a dream to me :wacky:

Oh. I couldn't believe it when the guys came right near our seats on a mini stage. So lucky!!! Some guy gave Guy and Jonny a beer, so Chris gave him his harmonica. Sweet deal!

Aww nice Chris :nice:

I'm just looking at my sig. I can't believe it's been almost 3 years since they were last here.

Also, is it just me, or did this show go much longer than on their last tour?? I feel like they played practically every big song plus more.

It was just short of 2 hours.

Maybe it's because they have more material to play now :D

It was awesome :D:D:D

Even from a seated point of view, it was brilliant! So much energy in Coldplay :heart:

Me, on the other hand, is exhausted from having lack 2 nights of sleep already. I'll check back tomorrow before I leave for the gig :nice:

We were waiting outside the loading bay trying our luck. Will came out in a van and was very patient and gracious :heart: He told us both Guy and Jonny had left before him, but Chris was still around. So we waited... and waited...

Then this van with tinted windows came out. It didn't stop, although the person inside was waving at us. Some of us thought it was Chris, but the others weren't convinced, so we continued waiting until this nice security guard informed us that Chris was INDEED coming out, although we were to wait quietly and not mob his car.

So we stood at a respectful distance before Kelly came out and opened the door for Chris. He signed everything we threw at him :laugh3:, and took a couple of pictures.

How long did you wait?

On monday at the Franz gig we ended up hanging around for 2hrs afters, it was freezing though did meet all the boys :D

Viva La Vida with a bit of sparkle

chrismartin_wideweb__470x292,0.jpg

COLDPLAY

Acer Arena, Olympic Park, March 11

YOU probably saw it coming: Coldplay hitting the stage with all guns, or at least sparklers, blazing. Not just because they are one of the world's biggest rock bands; more because of their faintly ridiculous home-made garb.

It's all military jackets and multicoloured frayed sashes, which, along with current fourth album Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends, appears to take at least some influence from the Spanish Civil War.

The Brit four-piece's self-confidence knows no bounds in terms of song choice as well as their look. They follow the opening pair, both defining songs from the new album - including an explosive Violet Hill - with a run of signature epic rock ballads you would have expected to hear in the encore. In Your Place is stadium pop par excellence and the ever sublime Yellow even comes with an amusing, impromptu couple of lines from Farnsy's You're The Voice.

It doesn't hurt that Coldplay have such an affably charismatic frontman in Chris Martin - he of the easy self-deprecating wit and ability to get thousands chanting and clapping almost on a whim - but the band itself has a strong, effective chemistry too.

Add the gimmicks such as giant yellow balloons that spray confetti when they pop and you have spectacle to match the music.

Most of all, though, it's the songs, made for arenas such as this, that see them through. Yes, they can be ludicrously bombastic, often formulaic and maybe a little middle-of-the-road. But when the four leaders of the Coldplay army lead, it's easy to understand why so many follow.

Coldplay play Acer Arena tonight, Saturday and Sunday, and open Sound Relief at the Sydney Cricket Ground on March 14 at 12pm sharp.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/music/viva-la-vida-with-a-bit-of-sparkle/2009/03/11/1236447311766.html

It was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

I was at the front of the stage, got the setlist(johnny's with writings on it), met will and chris together with min (but a dream) and my friend.

Will update later, but just wanna say that it was bloody awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woooooo, that's great Min, happy happy for you...see you can meet the bands you love :D

You know what, I have a feeling the person waving inside the van might have been Phil, that's what he did when he saw me and my friend in Dublin holding our banners :lol:

:o :dead:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Awww! Yay Min! :dance:

O M G!!! :stunned:

Min, I'm so happy for you! :wacky:

I wish I could meet them too!! :bigcry:

Oh. I couldn't believe it when the guys came right near our seats on a mini stage. So lucky!!! Some guy gave Guy and Jonny a beer, so Chris gave him his harmonica. Sweet deal!

:D

chrismartin_wideweb__470x292,0.jpg

Hmm, nice angle! :P

You know what, I have a feeling the person waving inside the van might have been Phil, that's what he did when he saw me and my friend in Dublin holding our banners :lol:

Min might have a heart attack when she reads this! :lol:

A-fucking-mazing. They played Glasses Of Water and I almost had a heart attack. They played every single song I wanted them to. Now to do it all again tomorrow. Had to plan my attack for GA. I'm going to get there around 4:30 to line up and then if I can't get to the very front before other people when we're let in, I will head to the right of the stage where they play a few songs on the little runway type thing. My hope is many people won't have been tonight and won't realise to stand there.

Glad you had a great time and good luck with the next gig!!! :dance:

:dead:

Squeeeeeee!!! Congrats Min!!! :dance:

& Yaaayyy Jonny saw your banner :D

And i gotta agree with Denise, it was probably Phil waving at you :p

It was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

I was at the front of the stage, got the setlist(johnny's with writings on it), met will and chris together with min (but a dream) and my friend.

Will update later, but just wanna say that it was bloody awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's amazing!! :dance:

awesome guys :D

and now its twitter time!:

farizah: @Coldplay i had the best night of my life..u guys were awesome, will and chris are such sweethearts. 'now my feet wont touch the ground'

38 minutes ago from web

dreadfuldan: i have to get up in about 3 hours. Just posted some @coldplay photos. http://tinyurl.com/chkv4u (expand)

about 3 hours ago from web

breeziegee: smiled all night while coldplay sung and thru energy into her. Im glad i went, forgot how good they are :D

about 3 hours ago from mobile web

t8steve: Coldplay are my mirror, my sword and shield...my missionaries in a foreign field. THEY WERE AWESOME TONIGHT!

Roycef: The Coldplay concert was great, they put on an entertaining show.

Joe_Pringle: coldplay.first night in sydney.i have never been to a better concert.this edged more towards a religious experience than entertainment.

about 4 hours ago from web

mojofactory: #Coldplay - awesome concert! Chris and his gang are extremely good value and have great stage presence. Thanks for joining me JC.

about 4 hours ago from TweetDeck

Loretta78: Bah...seeing Coldplay live was like watching a very loud (and very expensive) DVD. Boring. Not happy jan.

victor_laszlo: Just back from Coldplay concert. Dare I say it, it was really quite entertaining. Long Live Big B!

about 4 hours ago from twitterrific

gisellenguyen: Coldplay were sweet but the crowd were completely disgusting. Loved the rainbow butterfly confetti during Lovers in Japan.

megsiewa: adored coldplay! and had Chris Martin poke his tongue out at her!!!!! Got to first/second row and now can't feel her feet!! xx :D

about 5 hours ago from web

JeffPerlman: just saw Coldplay - was awesome. too bad about the warm up bands, who were definitely not awesome

about 5 hours ago from web

awmorrison: http://twitpic.com/1zy3e - it was all yellow... Coldplay, acer arena.

about 7 hours ago from TwitPic

yesterdayshero: Amazingly yellow at @coldplay http://twitpic.com/1zy3o

about 7 hours ago from Tweetie

awmorrison: http://twitpic.com/1zxv6 - U who? Live from Coldplay sydney!

about 7 hours ago from TwitPic