✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

22-Aug-2009: Olympic Stadium, Stockholm - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

Concert in Stockholm 22 August 2009

CONCERT REVIEWS

COLDPLAY AT STOCKHOLM STADION ( ON 22 AUGUST 2009 )

(Source: http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/konsertrecensioner/coldplay-pa-stockholms-stadion-1.9 = The electronic version of the Swedish newspaper "Dagens Nyheter, the Culture - Entertainment section, concert reviews / coldplay at Stockholm Stadium)

(Published 23 August 2009 at 00:35am Swedish time)

Music review - Artist: Coldplay. Location: Stockholm Stadium

It is hardly a risky guess that what the critics dislike about Coldplay is what the audience likes.

Where U2 and Madonna from the very beginning seemed prepared to take the step to superstardom, Coldplay got there gradually as the nice guys from the countryside. Quite simply, they had to update themselves when the applauses were too loud. The intimacy of the debut album "Parachutes" did not fit into the arenas that suddenly opened up following fame. And at the Swedish venue "Hovet" in 2002 Chris Martin moved round like a playful puppy that had forgotten all warnings (and the lyrics seemed to express just that).

Coldplay's reprogramming to arena group has now been completed. With "Viva la Vida" Coldplay has sufficient material for concerts at stadium level, even some chorusses fit for football stadion sing-alongs - particularly the title track that the audience wanted to continue singing for a long time. It is nice and magnificent with glaring light, a flood of confetti, and hundreds of yellow balloons released during "Yellow". In addition to that Coldplay had mini-stages set up among the audience - just like Rolling Stones during that band's latest tour. But the point is somewhat lost when the selection of songs seems to be very popular. An acoustic version of "Billie Jean" is okay, but "Talk" is one of the most powerful songs by the band and should not be toned down/subdued.

The will to connection with the audience is obvious, but the charisma is limited. Jonny Buckland is - once for all - no Keith Richards, not even a "The Edge", and Guy Berryman and Will Champion are not only withdrawn, but much too anonymous. Chris Martin continues to get all the spotlight, and he has in no way stopped running around like crazy on the stage. From time to time he sits down to play his piano - maybe to compensate for the fact that his voice fails - he seldom manages to reach the characteristic falsetto level tonight.

Coldplay's music and stage show is pleasant and likeable with sufficient good songs for a two-hour-long show. The firework appears to be unnecessary, as the music is powerful enough to stand alone.

Thomas Anderberg, [email protected] / translated by Nancy Boysen

This material is protected under the Copyright Act (DN.se)

(Source: http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/konsertrecensioner/coldplay-pa-stockholms-stadion-1.9...)

COMMENTS IN RELATION TO AFTONBLADET'S REVIEW OF COLDPLAY AT STOCKHOLM STADION ON 22 AUGUST 2009 (to follow later)

CaptainHaddock, posted on 23 August 2009 at 11:49: I am no Coldplay fan, but I like their music, but I find their latest album dark / I don't like it so much. But when the tour management offers you a ticket and pass, you do not say no, but obey and go to the concert. I left Stockholm Stadium a couple of hours later very, very impressed. 4 guys and a lot of special effects (for "protools" = professional tools = special effects?) managed to make the audience at the sold-out stadium feel like a small, intimate club. Their crew members also deserve much praise. Particularly the set designers and those in charge of the show.

HenkeSthlm, 29 years old, posted on 23 August at 12:49: The best I have ever seen .. What they deliver is amazing, not one single bad song. I had hoped for "Speed of Sound" among the encores, but no. But they were still very good. I had Bruce Springsteen and several U2 songs stored ("in the luggage")... , but now unfortunately they have to go, because Chris is king..

mikey_mic, 25 years old, posted on 23 August at 11:38: "Speed of Sound".. that was the second song that Coldplay played. How could Mr. Håkan Steen fail to hear it? :)

Balzary, 21 years old, Katrineholm, posted on 23 August at 12:12: Mikey_mik: Mr. Håkan Steen thought that he failed to hear Speed of sound, but it was not played as song no. 2 - it wasn't played at all yesterday evening!! Song no. 2 was by the way Violet Hill.

Dennadaer, 18 years old, posted on 23 August at 11:27. Wow, it was really a good concert. I saw this as well as the concert in the Globe last autum, both of them were magnificent. Coldplay captivate the audience like no other band or performer. Really good.

Source: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/supersommar2009. It is the electronic version of the Swedish newspaper "Aftonbladet", the Entertainment section called "Nojesbladet".

The review from "Aftonbladet" will follow later.

More reviews will follow later! But it would be too much to translate articles all day long!! :)

Thanks for the corrections and additional information.

I can't forget this: The Superhero needed help (from BONO) to get airborne!! BONO helped Chris, so Now my feet won't touch the ground. Now we can call BONO ASSISTING SUPERHERO / a true helper of ALL (sorts of ) needy people !

Do any of you have pictures of U2's 360 Air plane?. I would really like to see it. I have seen pictures of the VIVA plane (though there is not much life / VIVA in it. But of course the tour is soon over - maybe the VIVA plane will illustrate the other part of the album title - "or DEATH and all his friends" - by going "dead". :laugh3::D Maybe they should stop singing "And Death Will Never Conquer" thinking of the VIVA plane!! :laugh3::D

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't play Til Kingdom come, they did sound check White Shadows, so maybe in a near future they will start play it?

And Chris did sing a bit of Amsterdam during Strawberry Swing because people in the audience had signs mocking Chris for forgetting the Amsterdam lyrics. "Rehearsed Amsterdam this time?" and some had written down the lyrics for him.

The show was great, but I toughed that they rushed trough it. No much talking from Chris side. The two shows last year was better in my opinion.

Stockholm Stadion 090822

My 4th time seeing coldplay live, but my first time seeing them on an outdoor arena.

It was a beautiful evening to enjoy Chris & co. And as always they delievered a 100 % entertainment. Loved it.

Especially that we accidentally came in the front when they ran out and played the acoustic songs in "the middle" of the crowd.

I was a bit curious about the Jay-Z song that played just before they entered. Anyone know the name of it?

They didn't play Til Kingdom come, they did sound check White Shadows, so maybe in a near future they will start play it?

And Chris did sing a bit of Amsterdam during Cemeteries of London because people in the audience had signs mocking Chris for forgetting the Amsterdam lyrics. "Rehearsed Amsterdam this time?" and some had written down the lyrics for him.

The show was great, but I toughed that they rushed trough it. No much talking from Chris side. The two shows last year was better in my opinion.

Are you sure, that CP themselves rehearsed White Shadows and that it wasn't just the technicians doing the soundcheck?!?!? :o

O M G !!!!!

SQUUUUEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I'd so love to hear White Shadows during one of my future concerts :bomb: :dead: :heart:

Please!!!! bowdown.gif

Are you sure, that CP themselves rehearsed White Shadows and that it wasn't just the technicians doing the soundcheck?!?!? :o

O M G !!!!!

SQUUUUEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I'd so love to hear White Shadows during one of my future concerts :bomb: :dead: :heart:

Please!!!! bowdown.gif

Yeah, I'm pretty sure about that. It sounded like Chris singing it and forgetting the lyrics.

Concert in Stockholm 22 August 2009

Source: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/supersommar2009/article 5680861.ab?service= The electronic version of the Swedish newspaper "Aftonbladet", the Entertainment section "Nojesbladet"

AFTONBLADET

COLDPLAY

Audience: 33,000 people.

Concert duration: 111 minutes.

Best song: "Fix You" and "The Scientist"

Worst song: "42".

Question: What happened to "Speed of Sound"?

Clearly not hype (UNCOOL)

Coldplay makes everyone very happy - with style and with a twinkle in the eye

One says thanks, bows and raises the imaginary party hat.

When it is getting dark this August night over Stockholm in Sweden, Coldplay invites you to a stadium party almost as intimate and smooth as a slice of lobster.

The globes, with different patterns, located over the gallery of Stockholm Stadium make me think of slices of lobster.

SIMPLE

In all their simplicity, the globes provide the Stadium with an intimate frame, and when the Coldplay members enter the stage with their sparklers and then play three of their most popular songs already in the beginning, they succeed, in just a few minutes time, in making the arena seem even much smaller.

These simple young men from London are world stars, but they want to be our friends. They are not here to be substitutes for rock rebels, they are not here to dazzle and impress. - Coldplay is here to share its songs with us and get us into it, all of us. That is at least the feeling that they propagate and communicate.

The people here at the stadium are certainly easily affected by flirtation. There is fervour in the air before the concert. In several songs the sing-along almost makes the arena shake. And songs such as "Fix You" and "In My Place" have without any doubt meant a lot to many of the people present.

TASTEFUL STAGE

But the Coldplay members do what they have to do very, very well.

They provide a tastefully simple stage. They provide shining sound and subdued arrangements, but they know how to fill out every corner of a big arena. In "Strawberry Swing" the contagious guitar riffs do the job all by itself.

They bring with them an uncoolness which you must probably possess if you want to succeed on the big stages. That uncoolness is a relief.

Chris Martin never poses. He sits at his piano or jumps around and bounces and looks happy without, for that matter, taking the edge off the amount of pain and heartache contained in many of his lyrics and probably being a large part of the reason why so many people are so affected by this band.

They are normal boys just happening to be unusually good at writing pop songs. They perform on a stage among the audience, and the stage is so small that you can hardly see it. They do this in order to intensify that feeling further.

And they realize that it is okay to flatter the audience a little if only they do it with style and with a twinkle in the eye. For example Chris Martin says that, if there had been Olympic Games for audiences, the Swedish audience would have been Usain Bolt.

NOT A BIT BORING

Coldplay may be reputed to be boring and unglamorous, but this show is really good at making the band's audience very happy. The way in which they dramatize, colour and pump up their list of songs even places funny smiles on the face of a purified reviewer who quite seldom feels like playing X&Y at home.

Chris Martin has now become one of this decade's most luminous artists. Without being the least extravagant he attracts the attention of everyone present. The charisma is inherent in his natural talents - just look at him when he is playing - everything looks provocatively simple - and the natural, relaxed stage presence. He makes us feel good and at home just as a good host (party host) would do.

Håkan Steen

Source: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/supersommar2009/article 5680861.ab?service= The electronic version of the Swedish newspaper "Aftonbladet", the Entertainment section "Nojesbladet"

This translation might not be long, but it was tough!! ENJOY!

I'll might try to do 2 more translations this evening - they are not so long!!

I am listening to I-Tunes Denmark's weekly top 40 chart and can inform you that Coldplay had a re-entry at no. 34 with Fix You following last Sunday's performance in Herning, Denmark (16 August 2009). :):laugh3::)

Yes, we heard White Shadows being played inside the arena while sitting outside.

But that was in the afternoon or something.

And I'm not sure if it was the whole song? At least it was over a minute of it.

I really did hope they would play it after that but they didn't.

I was a bit disappointed when they didn't do 'Til Kingdom Come, but it was nice to finally hear Glass Of Water live! Overall this wasn't the best Coldplay gig I've attemded, it was lacking the real spark at times; even though Chris seemed to be in a great mood the others could have been more 'enthusiastic.' But, I'm more than satisfied.

Bring on Wembley! (:

Oh no: I laugh at one of the pictures here where Chris looks as if he is trying to fly. Maybe he is afraid that the U2 plane might "go dead" (like the VIVA jet did). It is also possible that U2 will need their own plane soon so that Coldplay must find other solutions - Chris is trying the Superhero version and knows how to fly. Now it is time for the other members to rehearse as well. :laugh3:

Now they play Viva la Vida at I'Tunes Denmark's Top 40: New entry at no. 19. The week following Coldplay's performance at the Roskilde festival Viva la Vida made a re-entry at no. 20, but the following week it was no more represented. And Fix You new at no. 34. :):cool::laugh3::kiss:

I remember hearing Will and Guy rehearsing the main riff of White Shadows. Jonny then joined for the bridge part. You couldn't hear Chris very much. I don't think they played the chorus, but the outro synths was played. So yeah, they sure rehearsed it or the soundguys can remove layers and stuff :P

I had the worst and also the best night of my life! We came to the stadium at 9am with my friend and had the line up numbers 359&360 and when we got in we were like 7-10 meters from the stage at 4pm when we got in and people sat on the ground, but then I HAD TO go to the toilet around 5pm and when I came back people were suddenly STANDING and I just couldn't get throught to where I used to be!! My friend who I came with from Finland to see the show was there alone and she had my bag which had my cell phone and all my stuff (except my camera) so I couldn't call her that I can't get through to her and I was trying for like an hour to get there from different parts of the field and just panicing and stuff and I just couldn't get there (I got like 5 meters from the end of the crowd and then just couldn't move anymore!) and so I went to the security people and they helped me a little so I finally (after calling for like 30 minutes) got hold of my friend and then I went into the crowd to get a place to watch and ended up being at the end of the long stage on the left..I'm so annoyed! why couldn't I just stay there and see the fucking concert from like the third row and now I'm at like almost half way of the field! SUCKS!!! but well the concert was still awesome (tho I couldn't see the guys on the stage almost at all) but chris came close to me a couple of times and stuff so I guess it was ok, but I was just so sad!! I'm so dissapointed on that side..but still I enjoyed the concert of course and the fireworks, confletties and balloons and stuff were awesome too!!

My favourites were Deathandallhisfriends, strawberry swing (mostly because they did a small moment of Amsterdam there which is my second favourite CP song..) and the amazing LITii with the fireworks and all the singing that was like the happiest moment of my life! (that + singing

'No I don't want to battle from beginning to end

I don't want a cycle of recycled revenge

I don't want to follow death and all of his friends'

as loud as I could ♥

sorry about some of the negativity on the message, but I'm sure you can understand why I'm so pissed off at myself..still loathing in selfpity.. :lol: well while waiting for Wembley (that better go smoothly, I've had such terrible coldplay karma) I think I'll go get some sleep because I feel like I'm getting sick with all the lining up in the rain during the day and being in the wet clothes and stuff..

But still thank you Coldplay for the concert and I'll be posting some videos later! :)

Sorry you had a rough time but I'm sure lot's of us can relate to that experience at a show...it's panic inducing for sure. Stay positive and rest-up, and plan your potty breaks because you gotta be ready for Wembley !!

The 2 translations I wrote about. ENJOY!

CHRIS MARTIN PRAISED THE SWEDISH AUDIENCE IN PERFECT SWEDISH

Coldplay's leadsinger Chris Martin seems to have been training Swedish. He is more than pleased with the audience at Stockholm's Stadium. During the concert on Saturday, 22 August 2009 in the evening, he said from the stage: - Tusind tack allesammans´, i.e. "Thank you so much".

The third song played by the band was "In My Place". Then Chris Martin started jumping around on the stage, and later he said: - Good evening everybody. Then he added: - Tusind tack allesammans, i.e. thank you so much.

"Your singing is fantastic"

Several times during the first half of the concert the audience's sing-along was almost louder than Martin's song. During the band's breakthrough song "Yellow" Chris Martin said: - Your singing is fantastic. This is gonna be fun. Later he said in perfect Swedish: - Tusen tack, i.e. thank you so much.

When the band members later huddle together on a small stage among the audience, Chris Martin asks: - Mår ni bra? - i.e. are you alright? That's it for my Swedish. And he continues to praise the audience: - So far you're being a goldmedal audience.

Mattias Bergqvist

Source: http://www.expressen.se/noje/musik/1.1680247/chris-martin-hyllade-publiken-pa-sve...

Anders Dahlbom: Magnificent Coldplay

Coldplay at Stockholm Stadium

Highlights: "Fix You" and "Viva La Vida" - they are so huge and magnificent

Worst thing: The unchanged setlist - it would have been better with some change / adjustment

Yes, the grandeur / greatness is important

Coldplay demonstrates with a very efficient show, giving you goose-bumps, at Stockholm Stadium that they belong to the group of great names able to play at the big arenas.

Sometimes it is better to rely on your arms. In theory I continue to have problems with Coldplay. It is not due to the quartet's evident feel and ability to create ballads and chorusses appropriate tor being played to an enthusiastic audience. Nor is the reason Chris Martin's cheerful care, which is annoying.

It is rather due to Coldplay's often commonplace lyrics and to the fact that it often feels like a beating heart is missing behind the big gestures.

It is in such cases that I check my arms. They have a never failing ability to be goosey (have goose-bumps) long before my brain perceives that I really, really like what I see and hear. And left is only to note that Coldplay at the stadium are often so good that your arms end up having goose-bumps.

There is a self-evidence in the way in which Martin's band handle a sold-out arena as if they have done nothing else the past ten years. An attitude resulting in Coldplay filling out the big arena costume in a natural way. It is true that nice light, confetti and balloons contribute to this, but it is even the simplicity with which Martin connects with the audience that can be felt.I think it is called weight.

And then it had to do with goose-bumps. It begins already in the introductory "Life in technicolor", in the "Yellow" chorus, in the grandiose ending with fireworks.

But first of all I am knocked down by "Fix You" and "Viva la Vida", two fantastic pieces of work for a band willing and able to play at the biggest stages in the world.

I am still not ready to endorse that Coldplay manages this fully. The setlist is all too familiar and oddly enough it feels like the band is too anonymous. But yesterday Coldplay's performance was often so beautiful that the brain was disconnected - but the arms were receptive. And that is what counts in the end of the day, I suppose.

Anders Dahlbom

Published on 23 August 2009

Source: http://www.expressen.se/noje/musik/1.1680559/anders-dahlbom-storslaget-coldplay?... / translation by: Nancy Boysen

You tried "Couleurs" from M83???

listen on their myspace

http://www.myspace.com/m83

I'd like to know too ;-)

Thx again for trying but that one is not the right one.I know this track from before just as i know the band too.Unfortunately it was´nt the right one.

Still looking for help.

Thx for trying everyone.

(For thoose that have´nt read all the posts i´m still looking for artist and trackname for the track played before U2 and Jay Z,it was an electronic song without any lyrics in it)

Thx again for trying but that one is not the right one.I know this track from before just as i know the band too.Unfortunately it was´nt the right one.

Still looking for help.

Thx for trying everyone.

(For thoose that have´nt read all the posts i´m still looking for artist and trackname for the track played before U2 and Jay Z,it was an electronic song without any lyrics in it)

Why don't you just ask that question to the 'All-Knowing-Oracle'? ;)

post_oracleformsubmit.png