✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

22-Aug-2009: Olympic Stadium, Stockholm - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews/Photos

As promised a translation of an article in the Swedish paper "Aftonbladet" dated 23 August 2009

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/musik/article5677665.ab

Rock regarded as a sin by Christian Chris Martin

How Coldplay frontman took a step from church to a life as one of the world's hottest artists

Chris Martin opens a bottle of Jameson and takes a sip. Leans his head back. Gurgles loud.

It's dark in the dressing room in Dallas and on the floor are dozens of pill bottles.

Drummer Will Champion looks up at the reporter Brian Hiatt of the Rolling Stone magazine.

- Is it not exciting here? It's like Mötley Crüe! he says and laughs.

The irony is palpable.

The pill bottles contain vitamins and on the floor next to them is a yoga mat. Chris Martin drinks the whisky to loosen up his vocal cords.

It is a meaning picture of Coldplay and their frontman.

Approximately ten years into their career, the British band learned media dramaturgy. And they do not fit into it.

The world's best selling rock and pop band is not very rock'n'roll. A singer who has been chosen as the world's sexiest vegetarian, who had his sex debut as 22-year-old and who likes to draw fair trade symbols on his hands is proof of that.

But it has hardly stopped him.

Chris Martin was born in 1977 and grew up in a deeply Christian home in Devon in South-West England. He was introduced early to singing and music as part of a religious community and was already, when young, showing a great interest in the family's piano. Despite that, music was never seen as an option.

- If you are born into a white middle-class family in Devon, there are some things you feel that you should not take part in. Such as becoming a popstar or letting your hair grow, so the singer.

Awareness of right and wrong is a common thread through childhood and adolescence.

Religion affects the family strongly. Life is black and white, the knowledge of heaven and hell is always present. Chris Martin himself has described his youthful me as naive, ultra-religious and judicial. Not least against himself.

- I could spend a year in the belief that I would be punished for having sung the "Sympathy for the Devil" by Rolling Stones.

As a teenager Chris Martin was sent to the boarding school Sherborne. Quickly, the conservative views made him unpopular and soon the religious belief began to crack.

- I began to think: "I'm not entirely sure about this with a hell. I'm not entirely sure that it is wrong to be homosexual. And who knows what is right and wrong? ".

- It sounds childish now, but as a young man I thought I would burn in hell if I liked guys or if I married a Jew.

The Christian moralizing about sexuality has subsequently been cited as one of the reasons why the Coldplay singer lost virginity so late.

After boarding school Chris Martin was admitted to University College London. He moved into a shared student accommodation in a two-storey house on Camden Road. Previously, the building had been headquarters for the fan club of the punk rebels Clash. Now it was the manger for a rock band which would be known for anything but rebellion.

A late night Chris Martin discovered that one of the other fellows living in the shared student accommodation - Jonny Buckland - shared his musical interests.

- I heard him play guitar at three o'clock in the morning, and I suggested we could meet and play together the day after. Since then, we spent every day together.

According to Chris Martin, already the duo's early creations remind him of Coldplay songs that are famous today. And when Guy Berryman and Will Champion later joined the configuration, the musical puzzle was complete.

In the summer of 2000, Coldplay released their debut album "Parachutes", with the preceding single "Yellow". It is a success story. In the UK the album sold 1.6 million in six months, and soon a U.S. launch opened.

The sequel "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" cemented the success, and when in December 2003 Chris Martin married actress Gwyneth Paltrow, he entered the absolute epicentre of being a celebrity.

Before Coldplay's third album, expectations were so high that the shares of the record label EMI fell in value because the release date had been postponed.

But this also marked a turning-point.

While "X & Y" was a sales success, more critical voices than before were raised.

Condescending comparisons with fellow U2 were becoming more common, and the New York Times reviewer called Coldplay "the decade's most unbearable band". In the British press the band members were more often ridiculed and called dull and smooth.

Before the fourth album, the legendary producer Brian Eno was hired. Now a change was required.

- He broke everything down. Said things like: "Your songs are too long, you repeat yourselves too often, using the same tricks and the same sound too much. And your lyrics are not good enough". It was just to say: "Fuck you, you are wrong" or think: "Okay, probably he has got a point," says Chris Martin.

The latter proved to be right.

Three days after release, "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends" was topping the British sales charts. The album would later be the best-selling album of 2008. That same year Chris Martin met reporter Brian Hiatt.

In what the singer himself calls an epic interview he explains how a Christian school boy from Devon managed to become one of the world's biggest rock stars.

And how he actually fits in the role.

- We do not believe that rock'n'roll is about taking cocaine and running around in tight leather pants. For us, this is not rebellious. It's about freedom. To follow your convictions and not worry about what everyone else thinks. I know that people criticize us for one thing or the other, but as long as we believe in what we do, we cannot be sorry.

The title of the article is: "The Jesus of uncool".

By Niklas Strömberg / translated by Nancy Boysen

This is Coldplay

Members: Chris Martin, 32 (vocals), Jonny Buckland, 31 (guitar), Guy Berryman, 31 (bass), Will Champion, 31 (drums).

Discography: "Parachutes" (2000), "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" (2002), "X & Y" (2005), "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends" (2008).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snart är det nästan en månad sen. Åh, ta mig tillbaka!

Det var massa tjejer längst fram som jag tjuvlyssnade på (:lol:) som snackade om att de inte hade hört så många Coldplaylåtar ("Jamen du vet den där med jay-z.. Vad heter den nu igen?") men var där enbart för att få se Chris :angry:

Tycker de skulle lämna plats där framme för dem som verkligen är riktiga fans! :D

Ja, personerna bredvid mig var precis likadana. De hade bara hört Fix You men ändå trängde de sig. Irriterande.

Oerhört irriterande.

Några killar där sjöng Fix you-refrängen med darrande melankolisk och ironisk röst och började asgarva. "Fan, varför är vi här egentligen", sa en av dem.. Idiots :angry:

Ja, en månad sen :bigcry:..

Jag längtar redan till nästa turné. Och Viva Tour är inte ens slut(Även om den känns slut. Sorgligt.). Ska till mer än en konsert nästa gång, det är i alla fall ett som är säkert.

:lol:

Oerhört irriterande.

Några killar där sjöng Fix you-refrängen med darrande melankolisk och ironisk röst och började asgarva. "Fan, varför är vi här egentligen", sa en av dem.. Idiots :angry:

Jag blir så jävla arg på såna människor :angry:

En månad sen (nästan) alltså :cry: jag brukar lyssna på hela LRLRL på min ipod påväg till skolan ibland. Vilka minnen som väcks till liv och man får precis den där känslan som man får när man var och såg dem.

Jag tror inte jag ska ta av plasten från min LRLRL.. Man vet ju aldrig ;)

Jag kan inte heller vänta tills nästa! Hoppas bara nästa skiva är bra nu, VLV är deras sämsta i min åsikt. Så vi får se hur utvecklingen går...

Tycker du?

Jag gillar den. Det lite drömmande och "konstiga" soundet i låtarna.. Och texterna! I want more :D

Jag har tagit bort plasten från min skiva men jag har inte spelat den än. tvekade först lite också om jag skulle göra det men jag kom fram till att jag kommer aldrig sälja den (hoppas jag) så då kan jag lika gärna öppna den. Efteråt kom jag på att den blir lättare sliten om inte plasten finns där :/ Jaja, gjort är gjort. Underbar skiva hursomhelst.

Tack! :wacky: Lite improvisation. Jag orkar inte fixa det här med signaturer. Vad jag kommer ihåg, har jag aldrig haft någon här, bara några slumpade ord då och då.

Tog bilden i min signatur på konserten, mest därför jag har den där :lol:

Hörröni, jag tycker vi borde hålla den här tråden levande, som ett bestående minne av konserten. Eller vad säger ni?

(@parachutes: oj, 5000 posts :stunned:

Har inte sett dig så mycket i forumet, hur gick det till? :lol:)

Tog bilden i min signatur på konserten, mest därför jag har den där :lol:

Låter som en riktigt bra idé!

Haha, ja du... Jag brukade posta väldigt mycket i The Lounge. Men nu när skolan och verkligheten är tillbaka blir det mycket mindre. Inte på grund av att jag inte har tid, utan det är mer på grund av de andra. Forumet har blivit mindre aktivt, så det blir mycket mindre inlägg. Vilket jag tror gäller för alla, tyvärr. Det är ganska dött.

Så om du inte är mycket i The Lounge, är det anledningen till varför du inte sett mig. :P

Åh bra bild du fick till! Mina blev helt suddiga.

1. The Coldplay section är väldigt aktiv faktiskt. Det är där jag är mest. :D

2. Men jag håller med dig, vi borde göra forumet mer levande igen.

Det var den enda bra bilden jag fick till.. Och en video också med kass ljudkvalitét men urskiljbar bild.

1. The Coldplay section är väldigt aktiv faktiskt. Det är där jag är mest. :D

2. Men jag håller med dig, vi borde göra forumet mer levande igen.

Det var den enda bra bilden jag fick till.. Och en video också med kass ljudkvalitét men urskiljbar bild.

Jo, jag har märkt det. Fast det är inte riktig mitt ställe helt ärligt. :P Inte för att jag inte gillar Coldplay, men "the chrissygirls" etc skrämmer mig lite. o.O