🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The Official Tennis Thread

rudy_o

tickets for court 2 are still more expensive and people are willing to pay for it in order to see the best players. that's not a disgrace for the defending champion.

I know that, but she does have a point in that neither Nadal nor Federer (who isn't defending champion or world number one either) would find themselves playing on that court.

Saying that, she does tend to complain quite a bit, and should therefore be renamed Serena Whingiams! :P

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that, but she does have a point in that neither Nadal nor Federer (who isn't defending champion or world number one either) would find themselves playing on that court.

Agreed, that's probably right. Seeing that Roddick is allowed to play on centre court again today whilst Wozniacki is on court 2 (she's the #1 nonetheless despite the lack of grand slam titles), I understand the frustration.

I guess the nicer way of doing it would have been to keep quiet and complain about it internally afterwards. However, I guess she'll get her way now i.e. quite an effective strategy to get on centre court. lol

I'm hoping for more upsets though :wacky:

Actually the ladies faced quite a few upsets apart from Na Li. For example, Cetkovska beating Radwanska and Petrova winning over Pavlyuchenkova. And Stosur was out after the first round.

Agreed, that's probably right. Seeing that Roddick is allowed to play on centre court again today whilst Wozniacki is on court 2 (she's the #1 nonetheless despite the lack of grand slam titles), I understand the frustration.

Well if Wozniacki (the world number one) has been put on court two as well, it kind of balances it out a bit.

I guess the nicer way of doing it would have been to keep quiet and complain about it internally afterwards. However, I guess she'll get her way now i.e. quite an effective strategy to get on centre court. lol

If I had a ticket for centre court, I'd much rather see Roddick or Wozniacki any day, anyway!:smug:

Even though she eventually lost, I loved the way Laura Robson played and fought till the very end against Sharapova.

I reckon she has a very bright future in the game! :cool:

Baltacha fought well too, but didn't quite have enough in the end.:(

A-Rod out in straight sets!:stunned:

Murray beats Ljubicic in four sets to set up fourth round clash with Gasquet

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 10:25 PM on 24th June 2011

Andy Murray ground out a four-set victory over veteran Ivan Ljubicic under Wimbledon's Centre Court roof on Friday to set up a fourth-round rematch with Richard Gasquet.

The pair were involved in one of Wimbledon's most memorable encounters at the same stage three years ago when the British number one battled back from two sets and a break down to triumph.

It was a slightly patchy performance tonight from Murray, who played an unimpressive second set and was then broken when he served for victory.

article-2007908-0CB8893B00000578-350_634x362.jpg Battling win: Andy Murray beat Ivan Ljubicic in four sets

But he eventually completed the job in the fourth-set tie-break just before 10pm to the delight of a packed crowd, prevailing 6-4, 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7/4).

The 24-year-old said: 'It was a tough one. Both of us were struggling a bit behind our second serves. He made a couple of huge returns.

'You have to come through really tough periods sometimes.

'It's very intense. I thought I played very good tennis from the back of the court, I just need to serve better. It's a step in the right direction.'

article-2007908-0CB88B0600000578-783_634x341.jpg Great Scot: Murray unleashes a backhand

Asked what marks out of 10 he would give himself so far, Murray told the BBC: 'An eight. I thought tonight's match was a very high standard.'

Ljubicic, had never been past the third round at Wimbledon in 11 previous attempts, a surprise given the 32-year-old's big game, and Murray would certainly have been aware of the danger after losing to him three times in six meetings.

The world No 4 had the advantage of having played under the roof twice before, while for his opponent the match fulfilled a long-held ambition to play on Centre Court.

Murray saved a break point in game three and had a golden chance three games later when he moved to 0-40 but this time it was Ljubicic's turn to find the big serves when he needed them, seeing off four break points in total.

article-2007908-0CB8865100000578-926_634x388.jpg Late finish: The match was played under the lights

That gave the Croatian a lift and he was not so generous when Murray faltered in the next game, sealing the first break when the fourth seed netted a forehand.

The home hope was in serious danger of losing the opening set but he chipped away as Ljubicic looked to consolidate the break and levelled at 4-4 thanks to an untimely double fault.

Suddenly it was Murray on the front foot and he made it three games in a row and the set by taking his second set point courtesy of a superb forehand winner.

article-2007908-0CB87BDF00000578-245_634x384.jpg Big server: Ljubicic caused Murray plenty of problems

Having got his nose in front, Murray promptly played his worst service game of the tournament, throwing in a double fault on break point to trail immediately at the start of the second set. And this time there was no way back.

The encounter with Gasquet was suddenly looking an awfully long way away, but Murray responded in perfect fashion by breaking the Ljubicic serve at the start of the third set.

The Croatian was making a few too many unforced errors and a netted volley gave the fourth seed a 2-0 lead.

article-2007908-0CB889AB00000578-440_634x419.jpg Trick shot: Murray had to pull all of the shots out of the bag

Murray was looking full of confidence again and a brilliant backhand down the line brought up break points in the next Ljubicic service game, with another mistake costing the Croatian.

He at least avoided the dreaded bagel but Murray had stepped up impressively.

Both players began the fourth set playing at a very high level and, after saving a break point in the second game, Murray brought up one of his own with a super lob only to miss a makeable forehand. A challenge to HawkEye was optimistic in the extreme.

There was no stopping the 24-year-old in the fifth game, though, and, after a stunning passing shot Ljubicic could only guide a volley into the net.

article-2007908-0CB87E3D00000578-512_634x348.jpg Veteran: 32-year-old Ljubicic is a former world No 3

The crowd had been fairly subdued but they roared their approval as the British number one moved 3-2 in front.

They were even more excited when Murray brought out the through-the-legs shot he had debuted at Queen's for another winner in the seventh game, although Ljubicic went on to hold.

Discussing the shot, Murray said: 'It was just one of those things, it was in the right position. I tried it at Queen's and in practice and it just went it. You don't get the chance to try it very often.'

The Croatian had a trick up his sleeve as well, though, firing a stunning backhand winner off a Murray first serve to bring up two break points with his opponent serving for the match. And this time the 24-year-old could not save himself.

Having been in control, Murray needed to win a tie-break to avoid a deciding set.

Neither man cracked until the eighth point, when a forehand error from Ljubicic gave the Scot a 5-3 lead, and this time he made no mistake, sealing victory on his second match point with a forehand winner.

Shame Petkovic is out... not really my fav player but she showed a very promising performance over the last couple of weeks.

Well you know what they say about the "slams" - they're a completely different kettle of fish from the other tournaments, and separate the men from the boys, and and women from the girls!;)

Misaki Doi from Japan is playing quite well so far. :nod: This is her first Wimbledon and she successfully reached her first Grand Slam 3rd round.

But she'll be facing Lisicki today, not sure how it would be going.

Well you know what they say about the "slams" - they're a completely different kettle of fish from the other tournaments, and separate the men from the boys, and and women from the girls!;)

Don't be so patronizing! :laugh3:

Misaki Doi from Japan is playing quite well so far. :nod: This is her first Wimbledon and she successfully reached her first Grand Slam 3rd round.

But she'll be facing Lisicki today, not sure how it would be going.

Usually I am quite indifferent to my home country but Lisicki is Germany's last chance after Goerges crashed out. Gotta support her although Doi does play quite well. ;)

So you're from Germany? :wacky: Too bad Petkovic got defeated. I was expecting her to reach at least the quarters. :\

I'm gonna support Doi :snobby: :lol: :P

(I actually think Lisicki will win pretty much easily.)

Sod had food poisoning apparently he looked totally out of it was complaining of dizziness and was moving around like a drunk boxer.

Nice game between Baggy and Djokovic.

Sadness is Kirilenko and Goerges getting knocked out of the doubles.

Sod had food poisoning apparently he looked totally out of it was complaining of dizziness and was moving around like a drunk boxer.

That would explain it.

Sadness is Kirilenko and Goerges getting knocked out of the doubles.

Goerges apparently complained about the umpire calling her "Gorgeous"! :P