🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The Official Tennis Thread

rudy_o

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think her run will end in the semis. Sharapova's playing her best tennis in years.

However, I love Lisicki's "comeback story".:cool:

Totally agree!

Lisicki played great but the SF against Sharapova will be tough. It already is a major success for her having progressed so far. After 12 years, she is the first German woman after Steffi Graf to reach the Wimbledon SF. I really like her whole package - strong serve, good movement, brave shots and great attitude! Hopefully she'll be able to reduce her unforced errors and we will see a stunning SF on Thursday. :)

Missed Sharapova's match but the result speaks for itself. I so hope she'll get her 2nd Wimbledon title!!!!

Just finished watching Azarenka and wow, she really stepped up her game! Having seen her in the first week, you wouldn't believe she even had a chance to come that far. Now it'll be a tough match between her and Kvitova.

Guys, I am really enjoying the women's draw so far. haha

Let's hope Andy will reach the SF tomorrow! I am sure to take a break from my dissertation to watch him play... and maybe one for Roger, Nadal and Djokovic :laugh3: Btw, when it comes to Federer vs Nadal, I am openly rooting for the Spaniard!!! ;)

Totally agree!

Lisicki played great but the SF against Sharapova will be tough. It already is a major success for her having progressed so far. After 12 years, she is the first German woman after Steffi Graf to reach the Wimbledon SF. I really like her whole package - strong serve, good movement, brave shots and great attitude!

Yes! Julia "Gorgeous" should take a leaf out of her book instead of arguing with umpires and inventing new dances..................... :rolleyes:

Missed Sharapova's match but the result speaks for itself. I so hope she'll get her 2nd Wimbledon title!!!!

I'm confident she will. Hers is a great comeback story in itself. Her shoulder was in tatters.;)

Let's hope Andy will reach the SF tomorrow! I am sure to take a break from my dissertation to watch him play...

Excellent idea! I wonder whether Kate will be there watching again.............. :rolleyes:

Rooting for Jo Willy don't really care who wins now just not, "Mr oh i need a medical timeout and MRI scan but turns out its just because of a tight tape-job"

Personally, I think that comment is unfair. Looing back at Nadal's history, he continued many matches despite some serious injuries. Often he carried on although he shouldn't have which eventually severely damaged his body. His claims don't come out of nowhere, and during his match against Del Potro I guess his foot just felt wrong and he got scared. But if you criticize Nadal's time out and MRI, you should also condemn Del Potro; or Murray's worry about his ankle during the French Open. And the list goes on...

Well done to Tsonga and I'm glad he kicked Roger's ass. :cool: But... Go Djokovic!!! :D

Good play by Sharapova!!!!!!! :) (Shame Lisicki lost her nerves...) It will hopefully be a great final between Kvitova and Sharapova although I'm not entirely sure whether I'll be able to see it.

Maria's serving was awful with the many double faults still think she will win it though. Kvitova is a good player just that she's seems a bit suspect mentally won the first set against Vika easily than went to sleep.

Personally, I think that comment is unfair. Looing back at Nadal's history, he continued many matches despite some serious injuries. Often he carried on although he shouldn't have which eventually severely damaged his body. His claims don't come out of nowhere, and during his match against Del Potro I guess his foot just felt wrong and he got scared. But if you criticize Nadal's time out and MRI, you should also condemn Del Potro; or Murray's worry about his ankle during the French Open. And the list goes on...

I don't think any of those top players feign injury, and it's unfair to suggest they have.

I'm not entirely sure whether I'll be able to see it.

Why not?:confused:

Maria's serving was awful

Her screaming was good, though!:P

I don't think any of those top players feign injury, and it's unfair to suggest they have.

Precisely!

Good play by Sharapova!!!!!!! :) (Shame Lisicki lost her nerves...) It will hopefully be a great final between Kvitova and Sharapova although I'm not entirely sure whether I'll be able to see it.

Why not?:confused:

Because I am busy. :cool:

Nah, I am off to visit my parents. :P I am free, however, to watch the men's final on Sunday; so Andy better get through tomorrow! :sneaky:

Djokovic will win for sure, thought Tsonga is a really great man, who behave like a real sportsman, which he also proved on Wimpledon, once again. That means that in any other situation I'd probably want for Tsonga to win.

But, I'm from Serbia, nothing strange than that I want for Novak to win tomorrow and finally become number one tennis player. It's a good thing for tennis, somebody got bored with all that Nadal / Federer thing. I also wouldn't mind to see Murray as 1st.

So, I'd really like that Andy win in match with Nadal, Djokovic also, so that I can enjoy in the finale without losing my nerves. :lol:

Ticket for the Wimbledon final? That'll be £40,000 as queues swell and anticipation reaches fever point

By Paul Harris

Last updated at 7:31 AM on 1st July 2011

Murraymania was building to a crescendo yesterday.

Ticket prices soared – with one expert predicting a seat at the final fetching £40,000 by Sunday – queues swelled and anticipation reached fever pitch.

But a day before he embarked on the most significant battle of his career, Andy Murray was calm, relaxed, and hinting only rather cautiously that he’s ready to make history.

This is his second semi-final in a row against world number one Rafael Nadal.

article-2010107-0CCCA52800000578-863_468x327.jpg Work ethic: Andy Murray of Britain trains on court 17 yesterday

And Murray knows that if he is to have any chance of winning a Grand Slam, he must conquer the mighty matador somewhere along the way.

During a practice session at Wimbledon yesterday on a public court, the 24-year-old Scot impressed onlookers with his self-control. He tamed his temper, dealt with his mistakes, even smiled a couple of times.

More...

Then, on his website he declared: ‘The chance to make a Wimbledon final is an opportunity to make history.

'When I’m back on the court I’m not thinking about my place in history, but when I look back on my career, I’ll want to see where I was in the grand scheme of things.

article-2010107-0CCCAA7100000578-196_468x305.jpg Muscle up: Andy Murray during a training session for the Wimbledon Championships

‘Hopefully I can give the people queuing to see me the result they want.’

Following his last victory, the championship hopeful has taken his dogs for a walk, watched some TV and played games of football on his PlayStation.

But, on the last public sighting yesterday at least, it was obvious he hadn’t spent his time shaving. Murray has claimed the hirsute look is just because he hasn’t fancied picking up a razor.

article-0-0CCEEFB800000578-715_233x329.jpg

However, once he hits a winning streak, his superstitious nature means that the hair stays.

Meanwhile, fans desperate to see him in Sunday’s final are already paying huge sums for tickets, in the hope he will be there.

One online vendor said the prospect of him winning his first Grand Slam has led to tickets changing hands for £12,000 each.

Edward Parkinson, of viagogo UK, said: ‘With just one more hurdle for him to jump, Murraymania is in full force.

Tickets to see the men’s final are soaring [in price], with some now trading for nearly £25,000 a pair.

‘If we continue to see a daily 20 per cent rise, tickets could surpass £40,000 by Sunday.’

An estimated 15million viewers are expected to watch today’s clash, scheduled to be the second match on Centre Court, for peak teatime viewing.

article-2010107-0CCD058700000578-89_468x318.jpg No pleasing: A woman reacts after Andy Murray missed her out when signing autographs after training

article-2010107-0CCA881D00000578-626_468x316.jpg Supporters of Andy Murray cheer during his quarter final match against Feliciano Lopez of Spain

According to Ladbrokes, 80 per cent of bets struck since the quarter-finals have been for Murray.

Spokesman Alex Donohue said: ‘Punters are now backing Murray like defeat is out of the question.’

It wasn’t all going his way, however. Bookies William Hill were served up with their biggest Wimbledon bet today when a punter walked into a London branch and put £140,000 on Nadal to beat Murray.

He also put £51,000 on Maria Sharapova, who won her semi-final against wildcard Sabine Lisicki yesterday, winning the ladies’ title.

article-2010107-0CCDA7A600000578-172_468x385.jpg Lest we forget: Spain's Rafael Nadal has also been training in preparation for today's Wimbledon semi-final with Murray