✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

11-Jul-2009: Gorge Amphitheater, George, WA - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Photos/

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, starting to upload things:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQnY3I2JAOI]Coldplay @ The Gorge: Life in Technicolor Intro (7/11/09)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zgj35XeUJQ]YouTube - Coldplay - Coldplay @ The Gorge: Yellow Note For Will (7/11/09)[/ame]

Sorry for the poor quality, but this was Chris singing the last note of Yellow for soon-to-be-birthday-boy Will.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2xikAh1CIc]Coldplay @ The Gorge: In My Place (7/11/09)[/ame]

Alright, starting to upload things:

Sorry for the poor quality, but this was Chris singing the last note of Yellow for soon-to-be-birthday-boy Will.

Oh cool, you got it. Did you happen to notice when they flashed Will's face on the jumbotron how he was blushing?:blush: I hope someone was able to capture that!

Oh cool, you got it. Did you happen to notice when they flashed Will's face on the jumbotron how he was blushing?:blush: I hope someone was able to capture that!

I didn't see that! I really hope someone else got that...

and, one more video dump:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAwY8SpRU8A]Coldplay @ The Gorge: Fix You (2) (7/11/09)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0guGogIyHQ]Coldplay @ The Gorge: Ode to the Gorge / Death Will Never Conquer (7/11/09)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYPua5iaPQ0]Coldplay @ The Gorge: Politik (7/11/09)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgqE_37kiyo]Coldplay @ The Gorge: Death and All His Friends (7/11/09)[/ame]

Once again, unfortunate video quality (always on the videos that are most interesting!) but you can see how windy it was for the poor Viva banner.

I just got back from an 8 hour drive across 2 state lines to get home from the Gorge but boy was it worth it!

I have been to other big shows like Dave Matthews and even Sasquatch music festival out at the Gorge, but I have never seen it packed in quite as tight as it was on Saturday! The show, the crowd, the scenery was amazing! Great night!

I love love love the cover of Billy Jean they've been doing!

Jonny rocks the guitar and Chris' falsetto is awesome :lol:

I agree!!!!! Awesome vids peeps! :thumbsup: It's exciting to hear our boys play a song from the very first album I ever owned as a kid! :heart:

One of best shows ever at the Gorge

This was one awesome show. They say the Gorge does something to performers and that sure was the case with the Coldplay show Saturday. Everything seemed well...electric. Here are a few of my videos from the night. I apologize right up front if anyone gets ill as I was distracted from time to time.

Lovers in Japan

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDmZlmyeC_c]YouTube - Lovers in Japan - Coldplay at the Gorge[/ame]

Billie Jean

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QguV6hwWAaQ]YouTube - Billie Jean Coldplay at the Gorge[/ame]

Yellow

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNfD01DS9WA]YouTube - Yellow Coldplay at the Gorge[/ame]

Politik

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtV3L_gfY0s]YouTube - Politik - Coldplay at the Gorge[/ame]

It's time to stop dissing Coldplay

From Blogcritics:

Say whatever you will about Coldplay. Plenty of folks already have, both here on Blogcritics and elsewhere. But rarely have I ever seen a band who works so hard to please an audience, and who obviously has such a great time doing it. At one point during Coldplay's stop at the beautiful Gorge Amphitheater near the Columbia River in Eastern Washington this past Saturday, Chris Martin thanked the sold-out crowd for "giving us the best job in the world." Sure, it sounds like the sort of thing performers like Martin say to their audiences every night, but you really got the impression that he meant it.

Martin wore a shit-eating, schoolgirl's ear to ear grin for much of the night, and he also made several remarks about the natural beauty of the Gorge. He even ad-libbed a lyric at one point with the words "If you want to play the place that's the best, come to the Gorge Amphitheater in the Pacific Northwest."

Of course here in Seattle, we already knew that. Nestled high in a beautiful mountain desert surrounded by steep slopes overlooking the Columbia River, the Gorge has been Washington's worst kept secret as a favorite stop for touring musicians from Dave Matthews to Steely Dan for years now.

On this particular hot desert night, Coldplay responded to the picturesque setting—as well as a red hot crowd that seemed to know the words to every song they played, often breaking into impromptu sing-a-longs—with a powerful two hour set that was both energetic (and yes, I am talking about Coldplay here) and at least as far as these sorts of big rock shows go, very interactive.

About midway through, the band briefly disappeared from the stage, only to reappear on a platform, that as luck would have it, was literally five feet away from my seat in about Row 30. Seriously, these guys were so close during this mini-set that included "God Put A Smile On My Face" and "The Hardest Part" that I could actually see that guitarist Jon Buckland was very likely stoned (or at least that his eyes looked awful glassy).

Chris Martin was also in great humor during this portion of the show, introducing "The Hardest Part" as the "Phil Collins portion of the show...and this is called "Another Day In Paradise."

The band returned to the main stage for a powerful version of "Lost!" from the Viva La Vida album, with drummer Will Champion, in particular, earning his paycheck here. At this point, the band once again left the stage, reappearing on another small stage—only this time it was high up in the nosebleed section. An acoustic set there was highlighted by a tribute to Michael Jackson in the form of a cover of "Billie Jean." The crowd responded to this by singing the words right along with the band (as they did several times throughout the night).

There was also a part here where Chris Martin led the audience in one of those crowd waves you see at sports stadiums, only this time done with cellphones. Whether the "cell wave" was successful or not is debatable, but all those cellphones against the desert sky was still a striking visual.

Although a fair chunk of Coldplay's set was devoted to songs from Viva La Vida (and its companion E.P. Prospekts March), many of Coldplay's biggest hits were played very early in the set. Of these, "In My Place" and "Yellow" were textbook (the latter played with the prerequisite yellow balloons filling the air). Personally, I was quite pleasantly surprised by the band's inspired showing on "Clocks" though. This is a song that Coldplay have to be somewhat tired of playing every night, yet here they made it sound fresh as new by adding some new vocal nuances and a nice additional keyboard part near the end.

Over all, Coldplay really impressed me on this night. They played their tails off, sounding so tight to my ears that I'm ready to go out on a limb here and say this is a band that could be right on the edge of becoming one of the truly great ones—if they haven't already done so. From the differing vantage points where they performed not one, but two mini-sets, to the free live CD they handed out to everyone at the end, Coldplay also seem to genuinely care about their fans.

I'm not afraid to admit that I was already a fan anyway. But you know what? These guys deserve a lot more respect than they get in some quarters. It's time to stop dissing Coldplay.

http://blogcritics.org

20090711gorge1.jpg20090711gorge3.jpg20090711gorge5.jpg

20090711gorge4.jpg

20090711gorge2.jpg

Pictures by The Seattle Times

Coldplay brings out big crowd to the Gorge

One of the largest crowds of the concert season at The Gorge Amphitheater near George was generally well behaved.

Grant County Undersheriff John Turley says over twenty thousand concert goers attended the Coldplay concert Saturday evening. Turley said the biggest issue was a traffic delay largely due to a late arriving crowd arriving late to the show causing backups.

In all the deputies report 21 criminal contacts including a dozen alcohol related offenses. Just one person was jailed on an outstanding warrant. In a press release, Turley described the evening as a "very enjoyable concert experience"

http://www.kpq.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1192

Good news then! :thinking:

This was one awesome show. They say the Gorge does something to performers and that sure was the case with the Coldplay show Saturday. Everything seemed well...electric. Here are a few of my videos from the night. I apologize right up front if anyone gets ill as I was distracted from time to time.

Lovers in Japan

Welcome to the forum!!!

Thanks for sharing your videos, it's always great to watch Lovers in Japan... and I love your short shot into the sky to all the butterflies.

Good to hear you had such a fab time and don't apologise for getting distracted - that's just normal :lol:

It's more important to see it with your own eyes than looking on your display all the time anyways!

About midway through, the band briefly disappeared from the stage, only to reappear on a platform, that as luck would have it, was literally five feet away from my seat in about Row 30. Seriously, these guys were so close during this mini-set that included "God Put A Smile On My Face" and "The Hardest Part" that I could actually see that guitarist Jon Buckland was very likely stoned (or at least that his eyes looked awful glassy).
:lol:

My third time seeing Coldplay live, and it was hands down the best concert experience!

The Gorge was incredibly beautiful, and we lucked out and got amazing general admission spots right beside C stage

I wish every night was a Coldplay concert

164o.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ2EJyk8Ub0]YouTube - Coldplay - Billie Jean @ the Gorge Ampitheatre 2009[/ame]

My third time seeing Coldplay live, and it was hands down the best concert experience!

The Gorge was incredibly beautiful, and we lucked out and got amazing general admission spots right beside C stage

I wish every night was a Coldplay concert

164o.jpg

FANTASTIC vantage point. Thanks so much for posting!

is the c-stage always on the left side of the lawn (as you face the stage) at the front of the lawn/rear of the seats? i'm going to the show tomorrow and want the group i'm with to have a great spot for the c-stage part of the show. does the c-stage area usually fill up pretty quickly before the show?

On Saturday I headed up to the Gorge Amphitheater in good ol’ George, Washington to see Coldplay in concert! We (Carol, Tony, Kara, Reid, Adam, Ty, Stacie, Joel, Dave, Adrianne and I) left Portland around 10:30am and we definitely took our time getting up there. I am not the most patient person when it comes to sitting in the car, but the drive actually wasn’t that bad. It was a little long, but I was able to see parts of Oregon and Washington that I’ve never seen before. Sometimes I forget how lucky we are to live in the Pacific Northwest. I don’t even think I’ve ever driven through Hood River and The Dalles before this weekend and I’ve lived in Oregon all my life. That part of Oregon was just gorgeous and I definitely want to take a trip up there and actually spend some time in the Columbia River Gorge!

We got to the Gorge around 5:00pm, parked our cars and headed to the amphitheater to get our spots on the lawn. I had never been to the amphitheater before, but I’d heard some pretty amazing things about it. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint. It is truly out in the middle of nowhere and has the most amazing view of the river. I was just in awe of God’s beautiful creation, especially when the sun started to set. It was fairly full when we got there, but we were able to find a good spot about halfway up the lawn and to the left of the stage. Coldplay didn’t come on until about 9:00pm so we sweated in the sun for awhile and pretended to enjoy the opening acts.

After being really anxious for Coldplay to take the stage, they finally came on and started the show off with Life In Technicolor! They played almost everything off Viva La Vida and their classic hits as well. We spent the entire show singing and dancing around on the lawn and it was an absolute blast! My favorite song they performed was probably Lovers in Japan. They shot off confetti and tons of paper butterflies during the song and it looked so cool. Politik was another one of my favorites, as well as the cover they did of Billie Jean. This was hands down, the best concert I’ve ever been to. Coldplay definitely knows how to put on a show and Chris Martin basically never stopped running around the stage. They even came out to the lawn and performed a few songs out there. The concert flew by and I was already wanting to see them again 30 seconds after it ended.

We slowly filed out, grabbed our free CD and trekked back to our camp site. Everyone was pretty much starving by the time we got back so we ate some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and set up our tents. I am horrible at sleeping anywhere but my house so I probably got about 3 hours of sleep, but it was well worth it! It was super windy the next morning so everyone woke up pretty early. We packed up and began the drive back that morning. After making a great hour long stop in Goldendale at Dairy Queen for ice cream and a quick stop for coffee in Hood River we made it back to Portland.

I am seriously still in awe at how great the concert was. I really just want to see them again…right now.

http://kelmaks.wordpress.com/2009/07/13/viva-la-vida/

On Saturday July 11, 2009 I made the trek over to the Gorge Amphitheatre in Eastern Washington for the Coldplay concert. I bought tickets months ago for Andrew and myself. Those who made the journey over the mountains were myself, Sophia, Hillary, Andrew, TJ and Jordan. The concert started at 7 as it is always so difficult to pick a time when a band is going to be on stage. With no idea when doors opened or if the opening bands started at 7 we decided to get there early.

We drove over and stopped in Ellensburg for some dinner. Campus U Tote Em is one of the best burger and milkshake spots in town. To say it was warm that afternoon was an understatement. While driving we all watched the thermometer gauge crawling up as it was about 95 when we arrived at the Gorge.

It was the first time to the Gorge for everyone except Sophia and myself. It was a beautiful evening. We arrived just in time to get a nice stretch of lawn on the upper part of the lawn. As the sun was setting everyone waited patiently for Coldplay to come out.

It was a fabulous show! The band set up 2 mini stages on the left and right sections of the reserved seating area. Some of the highlights of the show was when the band sang Yellow and they had giant yellow balls flying throughout the crowd. They also did a cover of Billie Jean in tribute to Michael Jackson.

One of the coolest parts of the show was the stage and the use of these 4 giant balls. They would be spinning above the band and have writing on them, then they would change the effects and have them project pictures and even just change random colors.

Coldplay as on stage for about 2 hours and played a good range of old music and new! We had a great time and I definitely recommend seeing Coldplay live!

http://tysongamblin.wordpress.com/2009/07/14/coldplay-concert/