✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

11-Jul-2009: Gorge Amphitheater, George, WA - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Photos/

Bear, are you coming from PDX? I would think traffic through the gorge to be awful, I`d allow plenty of time to get there- add an hour to what ever you had planned on to be safe!

(and yes/ i`m driving, though i will be coming from an overnight stay , as we planned to do some wind surfing down river the day before...:))

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear, are you coming from PDX? I would think traffic through the gorge to be awful, I`d allow plenty of time to get there- add an hour to what ever you had planned on to be safe!

(and yes/ i`m driving, though i will be coming from an overnight stay , as we planned to do some wind surfing down river the day before...:))

im not quite sure WHAT we're doing yet! im flying down from alaska to go to the portand gig, then we're staying in a hotel. hopefully, if it seems possible, my mom and i will drive up to the gorge in the morning. but i have no idea what that would be like or how it would work out!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a single ticket that I'm trying to sell.

Section C, row 14, seat 35.

Only 14 rows from stage!

See seating chart link below in my sig.

Willing to sell for $100 even. I'll take the hit on the extra charges.

PM me if interested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys.

Is anyone driving out there from Seattle? My boyfriend and I are going to the show, but we're flying into Seattle the day before. I'm not quite sure how we're getting out to the venue, but it would lovely to go with a fellow Coldplayer!

Let me know if any of you have any extra room!

• 1 month later...

Need a ride to the Gorge from Seattle for Coldplay's concert on July 11th.

Really wants to see the show.

Please kindly help if you're going too.

Or you can share a ride with me. I'm going to rent a car with other two people. So we still have two more space.

Send me a message if you're interested in. Welcome to join us.

Despite being the adored, much analyzed and fantasized about lead singer of one of the planet’s biggest rock bands, Chris Martin of Coldplay is practical, even humble about his role, writes The Olympian.

“It just comes from pure gratitude at being given this job, particularly in a period of time when music is hard to be employed by,” Martin says of the free CDs that Coldplay is giving to concert- goers on their U.S. tour, which kicked off in Florida in May and stops at The Gorge Amphitheatre on Saturday night. “We wanted to give something to the people who have paid money to come see us or buy the album,” he adds, referring to “Viva La Vida,” the best-selling album in the world in 2008. “It’s like a reward system in a grocery store.”

Material sustenance is not what most fans think of when it comes to Coldplay’s music or its live shows, which are known for the passionate connection that Martin makes with audiences. The free CD, “LeftRightLeftRightLeft,” with nine live songs culled from the band’s last tour, is partly an attempt to capture that link.

“It is like a snapshot of where we’re at at the moment as a band,” Martin says.

Given that Coldplay is returning to the United States so soon after finishing another North American tour last November, audiences seem to like whatever the band does. The combination of Martin’s charisma and emotionally introspective, obliquely poetic lyrics, and Coldplay’s darkly anthemic, lushly melodic music has proved to be potent. The group has grown in stature and sales since debuting in 2000 with “Parachutes,” quickly shooting from indie darlings to the top of the U.S. and global charts. Their third album, 2005’s “X&Y,” sold 8 million copies in the first year, while “Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends” sold 6.7 million physical and downloaded copies – stellar figures in an age of free downloads and splintering audiences.

The press, however, has been divided on Coldplay and on Martin himself. The band’s music has been criticized as indulgent and repetitive, while Martin, who is married to actor Gwyneth Paltrow (the couple have two children, Apple, 5 and Moses, 3), is sometimes faulted for being arrogant, a vegetarian, righteously well-behaved, and generally avoiding the classically entertaining rock star behavior.

While social themes don’t inspire Coldplay’s songs, Martin says he feels a responsibility to try to affect the world in a positive way. “It appeases the guilt I sometimes feel for being given such an incredible job,” he says. “I think when you are contributing to or talking about something that you know is important on an activist level, it somehow feels better than if you’re just sitting back taking coke.”

http://www.theolympian.com/living/story/905538.html

Viva Coldplay: Brit rock, well-done

2009435226.jpg

Coldplay, one of the biggest rock bands on the planet, begins its Viva La Vida arena tour with shows in Portland (at the Amphitheater at Clark County) on July 10, and in the Seattle area at the Gorge Amphitheatre in Grant County on July 11.

Beg your pardon, but would you mind if we, well, took over the world?

Quietly and politely, Coldplay has become one of the biggest musical acts on the planet. They did it with some dreamy piano pop, a sensitive, falsettoed frontman, and that U.K. magic that's worked for the likes of the Beatles, U2 and Radiohead.

Coldplay has been accused of being bland, even yawn-inducing (a British TraveLodge poll voted them the Band Most Likely to Put You to Sleep). But that hasn't stopped them from selling more than 30 million albums and trucking in a heap of Grammys.

They're so big their tours are massive spectacles only appropriately launched with a trio of continent-spanning free concerts. (And speaking of gigs, they're playing the Gorge Amphitheatre Saturday — not free, but sure to be epic.)

But their fourth album released last year is a testament to Coldplay's willingness to change, evolve and improve to stay at the top. With "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends," the British foursome staged a revolution — a well-behaved one, of course.

Before you even get to the music, the album's cover art is Eugène Delacroix's painting of "Liberty Leading the People." And the first half of the name is a battle cry: "Long Live Life."

Dubbed by the band as their "experimental album," "Viva" does forge new territory, for them. Under the guidance of producers Brian Eno and Markus Dravs (Arcade Fire), the songs benefit from Middle Eastern instruments, exotic percussion and galloping guitar melodies. Chris Martin has reeled in his soaring falsetto and wraps the melodies with a deeper baritone. His lyrics veer more political than past albums.

Eno did what he could to break the band of old habits and shake them from their insecurities. They spent time in Spanish cathedrals ("Cemeteries of London" has some Flamenco-inspired hand claps). They built their own pianos. Eno even hired a hypnotist to put them in a trance for some of their music making.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, the ever-self-deprecating Martin said, "Things like the hypnotism, all these little crazy experiments that he tried with us was just an effort to say, 'It's OK. Not everybody hates you because you're in Coldplay. Just play some music and don't worry about it.' "

Eno produced a number of U2 albums, most notably "The Joshua Tree." His influence comes through on a track like "Lovers in Japan," with its striding rhythm, or on "Lost!," with its Edge- inspired guitar solo. You can also hear strains of Radiohead, Blur, even My Bloody Valentine.

"We look at what other people are doing and try and steal all the good bits," Martin said in an interview with MTV. "We steal from so many different places that hopefully it becomes untraceable."

They have created a blend that's all their own, but they're not reinventing Brit rock. Just doing it well. And for that, the album really wasn't the sort of experiment that proves risky. That's a smart move for a group with a huge fan base to keep happy and gargantuan arenas to fill on their current 100-stop Viva la Vida world tour, which begins in the Portland area tonight.

But fill they will (the Gorge has long been sold out). "Viva" does nothing except solidify Coldplay's place at the top. It was the best-selling album of 2008 and won the 2009 Grammy for Best Rock Album.

And it's arena-worthy for sure. Not only are the melodies soaring and the choruses begging to be sung along to, its themes tackle the big guns: life, death, love, war, peace. That is to say the album is universal. Appropriate for this moment's biggest band in the world.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/musicnightlife/2009441954_coldplay10.html