✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

21-Jul-09: Superpages.com Center, Dallas, TX - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Photos

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where exactly is the b-stage in this outdoor ampitheatre setup? about to buy tix and was curious what to shoot for... thanks!

At Starplex here in Dallas it was set up in the middle of the reserved section off to the right. Basically in front of Guy.

Take a look here...the B-stage was set up on the front of 201...

http://tickettransaction.com/VenueInformation.aspx?VenueID=101&EventID=1057793

Hope that helps!

:D

Austingirl's Review - Sad to see Coldplay leaving US

Austingirl, I hope you don't mind my re-posting your review here. It is too good for anyone to miss!

I looked on LiveNation today. It is sad that Coldplay's tour is winding down now, with the last show Sunday 08/09/09 at 7:00 PM, at the Ford Amphitheatre in Tampa, FL. That's only 11 days from today! How time flies! Then Coldplay will tour Europe for a few weeks, with the last show of the Viva La Vida tour at Wembley Stadium, England in September. I wonder how one gets tickets to that show? I know that TheAngie, a true die-hard Coldplay fan, is going to that last show.

I'm posting a copy of Austingirlmusicguide's review of the Texas shows here because it is too good to be missed. I hope it is as interesting -- fascinating is a better word -- to all of the true Coldplay fans of this forum as it was to me. For the original review and for links to her Coldplay videos, her blog is found at:

http://austingirlmusicguide.wordpres...uston-721-722/

CONCERT REVIEW: COLDPLAY (DALLAS/HOUSTON 7/21-7/22)

July 25, 2009, 4:42 pm

41-chris-piano.jpg?w=420&h=300

The very first time I listened to Coldplay was in December 2005 and coincidentally enough, it was at a simulcast of their taping of Austin City Limits. At the time, my husband became privy to the knowledge that Michael Stipe was going to be making a guest appearance during Coldplay’s set and worked quickly to secure us two tickets to the spare seating that had been set up in a nearby auditorium on the UT campus (the demand for tickets was so high, they filled up the ACL studio and the entire auditorium). It’s funny to think about now, but I couldn’t have cared in the least that Coldplay was going to perform; I literally only wanted to see Michael Stipe. I owned no Coldplay albums and was really only familiar with “Clocks” from the radio and “Speed of Sound” from its video. I vividly remembered reading an interview with Chris Martin from years earlier before the release of A Rush of Blood to the Head (2002), where he claimed that he was afraid that he wouldn’t be able to write anything as good as “Yellow” ever again. That being during my grunge rock phase, I thought it was one of the most ridiculous things I’d ever heard. How much things can change…

My husband and I got set up with the free beers they use to lubricate the audience for ACL and waited for the show to begin. Coldplay started their set and pretty much immediately, we were both won over. What they show on television now is only a fraction of what they played that night; they played a full concert, nearly two hours of music, hitting a variety of songs from their three albums that had been released up to that point. I remember Chris being very charming; he was talkative, funny, and smart, and engaging with the small studio audience, wandering off the stage to high-five mayor Will Wynn much to the chagrin of the cameramen attempting to follow him. Of course, the highlight for me was when Michael Stipe came out and they played “In The Sun” and “Nightswimming”, but I specifically remember Coldplay’s performances of “Clocks” and “Talk” as well. After the final encore, Chris came back out and played “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” solo on the piano and that sealed the deal. I was thoroughly impressed.

I had seen Coldplay twice since then, once during the X&Y tour in early 2006, and once last year in November at the onset of the Viva tour. While both of those concerts were great, I was in no way prepared for how far they have come as a band in concert in the past eight months, and was blown away by the sheer spectacle of the show in both Dallas and Houston last week. It was a rare treat to see a huge band in a relatively small outdoor arena, and Coldplay goes to extremes to make sure all of the audience feels included. The main stage itself is impressive with the “magic balls” that project light and distorted images, their amazing laser light shows, and intricate backdrops, but the band also makes two trips off stage. First they play some techno-d up and highly danceable versions of “God Put A Smile Upon Your Face” and “Talk”, followed by Chris on piano playing “Trouble” in Dallas during an impromptu setlist change, and then “The Hardest Part” in Houston. During their second trip into the audience, even closer to the lawn this time, they play a fun and jaunty acoustic set that includes drummer Will Champion singing on “Death Will Never Conquer” while Chris and guitarist Jonny Buckland dance merrily, and a crack version of Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” where Chris hits some killer falsetto notes and Jonny and Will provide excellent guitar riffs.

In Dallas, we were lucky enough to be at the front of the pit, so we really got to see some of the inner workings of the show and it’s clear that Coldplay works very hard at their jobs. From the very second the concert starts, with the dancing roadie and “Blue Danube” intro, the show is dramatic, finding the band coming out in silhoutte behind a screen waving sparklers before starting the first number, the instrumental version of “Life in Technicolor”. The set is two hours long, and it’s nearly non-stop, with only two short breaks, and the setlist itself is full of their most interesting tracks, enormous crowd-pleasers and rock numbers alike. Every member of the band is a key to the puzzle; we got to witness the knowing eye contacts and silent cues they’d give each other and it’s totally gratifying to see that they’re in synch like clockwork. Will drums like a machine, literally carrying the beat and turning out unbelievable performances during “Viva la Vida” and “Politik”, bassist Guy Berryman is steady and self-assured on his instrument, and Jonny completely rocks out during songs like “42″ and makes guitar lines like the one in “Strawberry Swing” look effortless and easy.

As a frontman, Chris is confident and affable; he comes across as down-to-earth and genuinely absorbed in entertaining the audience. His voice for both shows was in top form, transitioning between high and low notes smoothly. His musical skills are also highly admirable, especially his piano playing, which has become more classically influenced over the years with lovely numbers like “Postcards From Far Away”. He switches back and forth between piano, guitar, and manning the mic throughout the show, and does it all with boundless energy; running, jumping, and dancing, and whether it’s goofy or inspired, it’s always captivating.

36-chris-finger.jpg?w=420&h=589

Despite sitting in the back of the left side of the arena in Houston, I actually thought the Houston show was marginally better than the Dallas one. The crowd seemed to be a lot more lively in Houston, and the band responded well to that. All told, there isn’t much the band could do to improve; they’re performing at their absolute best each night, and that combined with all the other fantastic elements of their show – witty stage banter, falling neon butterflies, confetti filled yellow balloons, and silly fun like the orchestrated cell phone wave – make Coldplay’s concerts immensely exhilarating.

My long anecdote at the intro is the beginning of the story of how Coldplay became one of my all-time favorite bands. But that night was also sort of an important turning point for me musically. I was stuck in this weird in-between stage of musical taste; I’d been all Bob Marley’d out during college, and yet, I hadn’t discovered any new music for years because I hated the radio. I rarely ever listened to music at all. Seeing Coldplay live the first time reinvigorated my interest and passion for music; they’re are a huge part of the reason why I’ve gone so far as to have a music blog. Seeing them in Dallas and Houston during this tour was just icing on the cake.

Enjoy some more of my Dallas pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/austingirl.mg/ColdplayDallas721?feat=embedwebsite#

Coldplay – Dallas (7/21)

ColdplayDallas721.jpg

More to come later and hopefully, video too.

Austingirl, I could not agree with you more.

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

I looked on LiveNation today. It is sad that Coldplay's tour is winding down now, with the last show Sunday 08/09/09 at 7:00 PM, at the Ford Amphitheatre in Tampa, FL. That's only 11 days from today! How time flies! Then Coldplay will tour Europe for a few weeks, with the last show of the Viva La Vida tour at Wembley Stadium, England in September. I wonder how one gets tickets to that show? I know that TheAngie, a true die-hard Coldplay fan, is going to that last show.

I will be going to the last US show in Tampa and the last two shows at Wembley in London. And I'm eyeing maybe Dublin. :uhoh2:

I will be going to the last US show in Tampa and the last two shows at Wembley in London. And I'm eyeing maybe Dublin. :uhoh2:

Congratulations, Angie! I just checked and both London shows at Wembley are completely sold out :cry: I see Jay-Zee is the opening act, that probably helps explain why, apart from those being the last two chances to see Coldplay in their Viva La Vida tour. Jay-Zee will probably sing Lost+ with Coldplay.

But the other two shows, in Old Trafford and Glasgow have tickets. The prices there for STANDING & LEVEL 1 UNRESERVED are much less expensive than here, about $80. For seating, at about 53.83 pounds, it would be like $97 here (with the 5.40 "service charge" apparently every country has that), but the reserved seats are more costly. The pound is worth about $1.64 now. Still, I don't know how I'd get there as I've never even been to Europe before, and I don't know where would I stay? :thinking:

The gigsandtours.com website doesn't seem as user friendly as LiveNation, no seating charts or other useful tools, unless I just haven't learned how to use it or where to look. :rolleyes:

I just checked, and http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk has a seating chart of the stadium, but as in the U.S., ticketmaster doesn't give the "Clink 'n Pick" option that LiveNation does. Sucks. Wow, Wembley is a huge stadium! and it's all sold out. Oh well, I don't think I could handle seeing Coldplay in a stadium anyway.

You are adventurous to go there! I admire and envy you at the same time!

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

Austingirl, I hope you don't mind my re-posting your review here. It is too good for anyone to miss!

I'm posting a copy of Austingirlmusicguide's review of the Texas shows here because it is too good to be missed. I hope it is as interesting -- fascinating is a better word -- to all of the true Coldplay fans of this forum as it was to me. For the original review and for links to her Coldplay videos, her blog is found at:

http://austingirlmusicguide.wordpres...uston-721-722/

Austingirl, I could not agree with you more.

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

Aww, thanks! I appreciate that and no I don't mind you reposting it. I totally feel bittersweet about the shows being over as well...I'd love to fly to Europe to attend one, but right now it's not in the cards. Actually, we'll see, I'm going to remain hopeful. :D

Aww, thanks! I appreciate that and no I don't mind you reposting it. I totally feel bittersweet about the shows being over as well...I'd love to fly to Europe to attend one, but right now it's not in the cards. Actually, we'll see, I'm going to remain hopeful. :D

Thanks, it's gracious of you to allow me to share your story with others. I just read it again, it is such a lovely story. I like how it shows how ironic life can be. It is also moving to read how Coldplay touched you and re-invigorated your passion for music. I feel that they are my muse as well. Coldplay's creativity mystifies me, like, "How do they come up with such wonderful music?"

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

What a show these guys put up. I am not a particularly fond bloke of their music, but they do have some good tunes and I do like the way they arrange lyrics and prose. But now, I have to admit and kindda admire them. These four Brits do know how to interact with their audience.

Their showed kicked off around 8:45PM when the Sun was already saying goodbye to the Superpages Center (formerly known as the Smirnoff and Coca-Cola respectively) located somewhere in the south-east Dallas area. Coldplay treated us to the full array of their “classics” such as Yellow, Shiver, Clocks, and Politik -my personal favorite: I can’t help the shivers down my spine on the verse “give me strength, reserve control, give me heart and give me soul“; of course they flamboyantly played songs from their latest album, of which I have to admit…don’t like all too much. Perhaps I just gotta give them another year until I start to like them. Who knows.

Of the memorable moments: they did run up to two mini-stages setup right in the middle of the audience. One of them on the right side of the numbered seats area -for fancy people- and another one to the left by the lawn. Of which I was able to take a couple of decent photos and some OK video footage -some of which you can watch right here. Another conspicuos moment arrived when they rendered they own tribute to Michael Jackson by playing their own, brit-pop version of Billy Jean -Chris just missed grabbing his crotch and doing the moon-walk.

They vowed good-bye to the audience after almost two hours of music to the return for a little speech and two more songs. That marked the closing of a very interesting concert @ the Big-D. On our way out, we were treated with a free CD with a handful of their songs.

http://www.myrotarycar.com/blog/index.php/2009/07/23/coldplay-in-dallas-superpages-center/

A few issues back, I used my column in The Philosopher's Magazine to lament the fact that I'd missed the Coldplay concert in the fall (and to confess that I am a Coldplay-lover), but now all is well. They were back in Dallas last night.

Here's the thing about hearing live music. It kind of disrupts a certain illusion that I enjoy. You see, Chris Martin and I have kind of a special connection. I understand him, and he understands me. In fact, he wrote many of his songs specifically for me--like "Clocks" and "Viva La Vida" and "Lost". So what are all those 20,000 other idiots doing there, acting like his greatest fans? How, in fact, do they even know his songs and the lyrics, considering that they're MY songs?

Sigh. The band was good. But back to the audience. Not only did they barge in on my special thing with Chris, but they made me notice that I'm no longer the age of a typical Coldplay fan. No, I'm not 24. I'm not even 34. One of the ways the 20,000 called this to my attention was by engaging in Strange Youth Behaviors.

Um, must one listen to music while waving around cellphones? I asked my two 12-year olds about this, because they got into the cellphone thing too. In fact, they took to it like...well, like ducks take to water. After the concert I attempted to provoke them by hypothesizing that this is all about the deep and intimate connection that people have with their phones these days. To hold your phone is practically like holding your heart in your hand, so raising it is a gesture of love and exultation.

But they wouldn't be provoked. In fact, they just looked at me like I was an ignoramus. The point is that the phone lights up, they said. It's like holding a candle. Sure. Whatever. I'm sure Chris thinks it's silly too. He encouraged it a bit, getting people to do that wave thing, but I think he was just pretending. He and I think just alike.

http://kazez.blogspot.com/2009/07/coldplay.html

Review: Coldplay, winded but still winning

Coldplay returned to Dallas for their second, but less spectacular sold-out show in a year.

DALLAS -- Still coasting on the bold energy of last year's Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, Coldplay returned to the Metroplex Tuesday night, less than 12 months after it last visited.

Aside from the obvious changes (venue, season, some of the set list) and a surprisingly ragged first half, there wasn't a drastic difference between Coldplay at the end of 2008 and Coldplay in the middle of 2009.

Swapping out a few tracks (Speed of Sound and Chinese Sleep Chant disappeared, while Trouble and a sharp cover of the late Michael Jackson's Billie Jean materialized) at Superpages.com Center helped renew the band's spirits, which flagged mightily early on. Coldplay prides itself on delivering a high-intensity, multimedia blitzkrieg; the pieces were in place but the British quartet didn't truly lock into its rhythmic and melodic groove until Fix You.

Once the swelling anthem from X&Y subsided, the band never really looked back, even scampering out to two different stages -- one near the middle of the pavilion and one out on the lawn -- which thrilled the sold-out crowd (although, to be fair, they screamed loudly for just about everything that happened).

It was on those stages, away from the lasers, projection screen globes and sprawling backdrops, where Coldplay appeared most on point, in tune with one another and freed from high-tech distraction.

Yet on the whole, the 2008 tour stop felt tighter and less labored than 2009; the band has flogged its new record mercilessly for well over a year now and has to be growing tired of the grind. Not content to rest on its laurels, Coldplay also had a free nine-track live album, LeftRightLeftRightLeft, to give away as the audience filed out.

Frontman Chris Martin, who, at times, struggled to nail some of the more complex vocals and even mangled some falsetto moments, alluded to the band leaving everyone "alone for the next couple years," which would suggest they'll be heading back into the studio before terribly long.

However, a break might just be in order before turning out another record. Coldplay has weathered a decade in the ever-fickle music industry and managed to remain one of the most popular rock acts in the world. If that doesn't call for an extended vacation, what does?

The openers were a study in trendy curiosity: Kitty Daisy & Lewis, a rockabilly/Dixieland jazz-tinged trio (augmented with additional performers) hailing from London conjured a speakeasy vibe that was as unconventional as it was refreshingly weird. Bonus points to the outfit for trotting out a left-field rendition of Canned Heat's Going Up the Country.

Amadou & Mariam, a Malian duo that spiked its self-described "Afro-blues" grooves with funky washes of piano and shards of electric guitar, was a bracing delight. The crowd didn't quite know what to make of the pair, who utilized a pair of drummers and some enthusiastic back-up singers/dancers, but by the conclusion of Amadou & Mariam's eclectic, freewheeling set, the skeptical were waving their hands in the air like freshly converted fans.

http://www.dfw.com/117/story/156082.html

Those were awesome!!! Especially the Chris pics :wink3:

Thanks for sharing!!!

:D

Thanks, Allegra!

:wink3: Indeed! :lol: I didn't get near as many wonderful Chris pics as I would have liked... he never stands still- even when he's sitting!! :rolleyes:

Was finally able to upload my Dallas pics... here are a few:

Jonny looked right at me! :o

3787676082_1ba6974d4b.jpg

:stunned: Cool pic, I'm on flickr looking at the rest now!

:wink3: Indeed! :lol: I didn't get near as many wonderful Chris pics as I would have liked... he never stands still- even when he's sitting!! :rolleyes:

I know that "problem" too well!! :lol:

Always moving :heart:

He's like a rubber ball!!

Thanks, Allegra!

I know!

Well, I wished I had brought my camera because I was so close, but I know that since I was so close, I probably would have had the worst pics ever. :lol:

I need to learn how to set my camera to the highest sports setting. I've been able to take great shots of my kid with the flash off because he'll allow me to get them, but not Chris. There's no way! I'm glad I didn't waste my time messing with it. I think people that were a little further back from the rail got way better shots than I could have. You know...the further you're away from Chris the less blurry he becomes. I just really hate the delay I have on my digital camera. Sometimes I really miss my old 35mm. And of course they don't allow high powered cameras in only if you can sneek one in. I'm pretty sure that there are better pocket cameras out there than my 2004 Canon. I just can't see spending another $300. It still feels like I just bought the last one. Oh well.

Austingirl, I found some clips of the ACL concert. They are simply exquisite, or I should say, Chris is. Note: they only play well in full screen on my computer, hit F11 if it only shows a tiny play screen initially:

Talk

http://www.babelgum.com/browser.php#play/SEARCH_SIMILAR,clipID:3012900,includeClip:true,order:MOST_RELEVANT/11,3023314

It began autoplaying other clips, here is another:

Square One:

http://www.babelgum.com/browser.php#play/SEARCH_SIMILAR,clipID:3012900,includeClip:true,order:MOST_RELEVANT/12,3023313

It looks as if the whole ACL show might be on there! I can see why you were "thoroughly impressed!" and how your bond was formed that night with Coldplay.

Warmly,

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

Austingirl, I found some clips of the ACL concert. They are simply exquisite, or I should say, Chris is. Note: they only play well in full screen on my computer, hit F11 if it only shows a tiny play screen initially:

Talk

http://www.babelgum.com/browser.php#play/SEARCH_SIMILAR,clipID:3012900,includeClip:true,order:MOST_RELEVANT/11,3023314

It began autoplaying other clips, here is another:

Square One:

http://www.babelgum.com/browser.php#play/SEARCH_SIMILAR,clipID:3012900,includeClip:true,order:MOST_RELEVANT/12,3023313

It looks as if the whole ACL show might be on there! I can see why you were "thoroughly impressed!" and how your bond was formed that night with Coldplay.

Warmly,

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

Nice! I've really been wanting to see that episode again! It seems like every time they're going to show it in Austin I'm out of town or something. Thanks so much for the links!

Edit: I really wish that ACL would sell an unedited version of the show. It was so great and they really trimmed a lot out for television. Plus, the sound was better than what you'll hear on TV because we were hearing it through a professional sound system. This is definitely better then nothing though!

Nice! I've really been wanting to see that episode again! It seems like every time they're going to show it in Austin I'm out of town or something. Thanks so much for the links!

Edit: I really wish that ACL would sell an unedited version of the show. It was so great and they really trimmed a lot out for television. Plus, the sound was better than what you'll hear on TV because we were hearing it through a professional sound system. This is definitely better then nothing though!

These are the songs for which I found clips of the ACL concert on Babelgum. They autoplay in loosely consecutive order:

1. Speed of Sound

2. Square One

3. Clocks

4. ‘Til Kingdom Come

5. X & Y

6. Fix You

Roughly calculating this appears to be about 30-35 mins, which was about half of the show. I'm aware there were a couple songs in which Michael Stipe accompanied Coldplay, which aren't in the playlist on Babel.

Unfortunately, these are streaming videos (as opposed to those cached in Temporary Files,) and I do not know any way to save them.

Starfish42

Coldplay = Love

• 3 weeks later...

This is very, very late, but I recently posted an edited video called Coldplay in 10 on my blog and it's a summary of this show and the Houston one. It's on my blog at http://austingirlmusicguide.wordpress.com/.

Also, I finally finished uploading ALL of the concert videos to You Tube. Check out, http://www.youtube.com/user/AustinGirlMusicGuide to see full length videos and my personal You Tube channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/virginiarh22, to see all the snippets and short clips.

:heart:

This is very, very late, but I recently posted an edited video called Coldplay in 10 on my blog and it's a summary of this show and the Houston one. It's on my blog at http://austingirlmusicguide.wordpress.com/.

Also, I finally finished uploading ALL of the concert videos to You Tube. Check out, http://www.youtube.com/user/AustinGirlMusicGuide to see full length videos and my personal You Tube channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/virginiarh22, to see all the snippets and short clips.

Austingirl, how nice to hear from you that you have posted all your clips from the show. It is quite an unusual but pleasant coincidence that I was just listening to your clips this morning. It proves the interrelatedness of all things. :)

I promote your blog and clips at any opportunity that I can because they are excellent. Thanks again for being such a great Coldplay fan and for writing such an articulate review and history of your Coldplay experience. :hug:

I see that you also have a wide range of musical tastes, which is very healthy. It was thoughtful of you to give Coldplay credit for re-invigorating your passion for music that led to your creating a musical review blog. I found your story about how you discovered Coldplay almost by pure chance to be fascinatng because it is similar to my own.

The difference is that I felt an uncomfortable attraction to them for many years, but resisted it. That all changed with Viva La Vida. :drummer::dance::chris::guitarist: With it, they broke through my resistance and touched me in a very sensitive place. From that point forward, I finally completely surrendered my heart to them and opened myself up to their wide repertoire of music.

I saw their performance on a repeat showing of Saturday Night Live a week ago, which was the show in which Chris Martin originally "grabbed" me. (I believe that the original airing of that show was 10/25/08, just before the election.) After that, I could never walk away from them again. Yet, watching the rerun of that show, I was surprised at how subdued Chris' performance was on that show, in which they sang 4 songs instead of the usual 2: Viva La Vida; Lost!; Yellow (at the end of which, Chris sang "Barrack Obama") and "Lovers In Japan" during the closing credits.

On SNL, Chris almost seemed afraid to sing too loud, or to dance too wildly, as if he is afraid he might knock something over if he moves as much as he does in live concerts. There, he's completely in his own element, like a king in his castle, and he throws his whole heart and soul into the performance and sings (or belts out) the songs with full passion. Still, without realizing how relatively subdued he was, he captured my heart and soul with that SNL performance and I am forever grateful that happened. I'm still deeply moved to tears welling in my eyes when I see clips of their live performances, remembering my own magical night with them on 7/14/09. :love::cry:

I'm trying to find a way to capture the streaming video, not for any purpose other than my own personal entertainment. I think it's important for people to keep copies of these kinds of gems so that they are never lost from the world.