✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

21-Jul-09: Superpages.com Center, Dallas, TX - Tickets, Previews, Meetups, Reviews, Setlists, Photos

Angie, I must say how lovely you are and the vids you took were amazing quality. Thank-You for sharing, and I think the band should have pulled you up on stage and shown off your superhero outfit and dubbed you SuperWoman and plugged their new video:lol:

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, a few more videos loaded:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sledgeinc2

And a few more also on my photo / video page listed in my signature below....

What an energetic performance. And with the big screens on each side, it almost felt as if we were in a small club. We were sitting in the back of the reserved seats (section DDD, almost as far back as you could get before the lawn) but it was still amazing. The guys next to us were all singing and dancing, it was a great vibe! And it was great to hear "Trouble" in the set list too!

Angie, I must say how lovely you are and the vids you took were amazing quality. Thank-You for sharing, and I think the band should have pulled you up on stage and shown off your superhero outfit and dubbed you SuperWoman and plugged their new video:lol:

:blush:

I got a lot of great video. Not so great pics. Dancy J means blurry J. :( And just forget getting Christopher Martin to stand still for 2 seconds. :dozey:

When he came out to announce the LRLRL given away, he had everyone do a huge boooooooooooooooo then laughed like a madman. :laugh3: I was laughing too hard to film it.

He even gave a speech about needing a haircut. :dozey: It's not like you are broke Christopher! :angry: Cut that fookin hair! NOW!

If it's not cut by the next gig you need to hold up a sign saying "Cut your fudging hair, Martin :dozey:"

With the dozey smilie, draw it on :P

ha mrman78, I was right next too you tonight... I thought I recognized you from the pic from your avatar but didnt wanna say anything incase it wasnt you from here,

I was the big guy in the grey tshirt, white dallas cowboys hat with the big blue D on it and the black sunglasses hanging from my shirt.

Dead center all the way in the back of the PIT, I was sitting before the show.

Anyways, this is the first concert ive ever been too and it was mindblowing to say the least. I never thought in a million years i'd get to see my favorite band so up close like that, amazing show.

I think I remember you then, ha! You should have said hello :)

Yeah, I was moving all over the PIT during the show - I loved that you could do that!

@ Angie, I soooo wished I could have gotten the 'mad man' face he did on camera, ha. He kept doing it but I kept missing it :(

OH MY GOSH!! I cannot believe they played Trouble...I've seen four shows and they've only changed their set list slightly...My fifth and final show is in about two weeks and I can't believe they might possibly play Trouble!! AHHH!!!

OH MY GOSH!! I cannot believe they played Trouble...I've seen four shows and they've only changed their set list slightly...My fifth and final show is in about two weeks and I can't believe they might possibly play Trouble!! AHHH!!!

I know, I was really surprised! I'm wondering if it will happen tonight too... The funny part was that he just stopped playing it and said something like "right, that's enough of that song!" and then went into 'Postcards From Far Away' :lol:

Then of course, Viva started and he ran right past me on the railing :smug:

I'll have to post the vid of it tomorrow, along with some others, once I can get home and finally have a decent internet connection that will actually upload video :dozey:

Thanks so much to everyone who posted video and pics from this show. All of you made me feel like I was there. Angie, the vids you supplied were beautiful. Thank you so much for shooting suck kick ass video. The video you shot of "Lovers in Japan" was too beautiful for words. It really made me feel like I was there. What a shame I couldn't make it up there for this one.

Last night, as part of a wonderful suite of gifts my girlfriend got me for my recent birthday, I attended my first ever Coldplay concert at the SuperPages.com Center here in Dallas. The headline of this post says that it did not disappoint, but that is a pretty major understatement.

One of the first things I said as we walked out of the concert last night was that it was one of the best shows I’ve ever seen…and I have not wavered from that feeling with the perspective of a (brief) night’s sleep. Now, I do not consider myself a huge Coldplay fan (at least, I didn’t before last night). I used to be a huge fan when their music first arrived in the U.S. (more on that in a bit), and while I still like them and have thrown a decent amount of their songs on various mixed CDs throughout the past decade, I’ve never purchased a CD or bought more than one or two songs off iTunes.

I can tell you that this will change after last night, and in fact already has. Songs like “Violet Hill,” which I had heard before but not been head over heels about, I know have a new appreciation and affinity for after hearing live. Isn’t that how it always goes after you see a really good live show? It’s been my experience anyway.

I liked Coldplay a lot when they first came out in the States a decade ago (my sophomore year of college) because my roommate and I stumbled upon them well before we ever heard anyone else talking about them. We were up really late one night and had MTV on and this really unique video came on the screen with some goofy looking guy just walking along the beach singing in a high pitched voice. It mesmerized us. The song was incredible and the video was so simple and elegant. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, it’s the video for Yellow.

At the time, my roommate and I were running our own production company (with KVB!) and doing a lot of music video work, so we were into studying and analyzing different directing and visual storytelling styles. For the next month or so we told everyone we could about the song and video, and no one had heard of Coldplay. I have no way of proving this, but I honestly think that through nothing more than blind serendipity we just happened to be watching MTV the first time they ever showed Coldplay.

We certainly never imagined then that this unknown British band would become one of the biggest and baddest bands in all the world, or that the mysterious guy with the soaring voice in the video would one day marry Gwyneth Paltrow (a HUGE star back then, remember) and become a budding icon of music. But that’s what has happened.

I listened to a lot of Coldplay’s early work from the Parachutes album: Yellow, Trouble, Sparks, etc. With each successive album however, as they became more popular and ubiquitous on the radio, listening to Coldplay lost some of its luster for me. They went from being that cool, unknown band I enjoyed introducing people to, to just another band that everyone listened to regularly. The music was still good, but I didn’t feel that same connection to their music that I once did.

After last night’s show, I feel connected again.

It is fitting, I suppose, that we got there a few minutes late and found our seats as Chris Martin and the boys began their second song of the evening. You’ll never guess it what it was…Yellow. And I haven’t enjoyed listening to that song more since that first night my roommate and I watched the video in our little house apartment in Bloomington.

Oh, and for the record, for anyone who has not seen Coldplay live and wonders whether Chris Martin’s voice translates well live…I offer up a resounding YES. I saw Jason Mraz live a few months back, and he has one of the most incredible live voices I have ever heard or can imagine. Mraz actually spent a half hour of the show not even singing words, just using his voice like an instrument. Martin did not do anything like this, but I got the sense that he could have. His ability to hold notes and be pitch-perfect every second of the performance is truly remarkable. His voice, which sounds so unbelievable in studio-produced material, translates seamlessly to a live setting.

In addition to Martin’s singing — easily my favorite overall aspect of the show — the production value of the show was fantastic. One example: they had five reflective, rotating spheres that would descend from the ceiling and have either silhouettes of the band members or funky designs on them. The instant editing work on the video screens was also impressive. Each song seemed to feature unique angles, color filters, and pacing of the cuts from shot to shot. In a big venue such as the one the show was held in, having compelling visuals on the big screens really adds to the overall experience. At one point, they also sent confetti-filled balloons bouncing throughout the masses. That was pretty sweet too.

But the most memorable part of the night for me came about 2/3’s of the way through the show and actually happened when the band left the main stage. (Remember at the top when I told you there would be a rich reward for reading? It’s coming.)

After listening to four or five songs from our seats, we made a quick jaunt to the restroom and to grab a beverage. When we returned, we noticed that a group of people had collected and were being told they could not proceed to their seats. Once we reached the small mass of people, we learned that a small stage had been set up in front of the fully-packed lawn section and that the band would be coming from the stage through the middle aisle to the back of the arena to play a few songs.

We quickly realized that not being able to go back to our seats would be just fine, as we basically ended up with a front row seat for this little interlude.

It took about three more songs, but finally the band came jogging back with throngs of screaming fans reaching out and trying to touch Chris Martin (that blur in the picture to the left is him) and the other band members. Cell phone cameras and the flashes from actual cameras were going off at what seemed like the speed of light. Unfortunately, I was unable to get any really great pictures from my iPhone (just the ones you see posted), but the iPhone still came up huge during the ensuing acoustic performance by the band.

As the band hopped up on the tiny stage and grabbed the guitars that had been prepared for them, I heard a guy standing next to us say that he thought they were going to start off with “Billie Jean.” As many of you know, I am a huge Michael Jackson fan, Billie Jean is my favorite song, and I never had the chance to see MJ perform it live. Sure, Coldplay cannot compare to Michael Jackson performing a Michael Jackson song, but I was still instantly excited at the prospect of hearing “Billie Jean” be performed live.

So I was disappointed when I did not recognize the first couple of songs Coldplay played from the lawn stage.

But that disappointment would soon be washed away in the flood of excitement that occurred when I heard the first few unmistakable notes of “Billie Jean.” I quickly pulled out the iPhone and opened up the Voice Memo app that comes standard with the recently updated operating system. I’d never used it before, but I figured this would be as good a time as any to try it out. I had no clue if it would work, what the sound quality would be, or even if I could listen to it outside of the program once it was recorded.

Well, it worked, the sound quality is phenomenal (all things considered), and I most certainly can listen to it outside of the program…and so can you. A snippet of the 2:30 file of Coldplay performing “Billie Jean” is linked below. I don’t know all the rules about recording something live at a show and then posting it on a website, so I won’t link the whole file, but you’ll get the idea from the snippet. Email me if you want the full file. I’ll gladly pass it along. (And considering that the band gave out free CDs after the show, I can’t imagine they’d be too upset with a sterling review of their show and a short clip of them doing a cover).

So, in quick conclusion, the Coldplay concert was fantastic and a huge highlight in what has been quite an incredible birthday between a great day with the family, a fun week with KVB in town, and a terrific girlfriend who has gone out of her way to truly make it special with gifts like KVB’s plane ticket and the concert tickets (we’re seeing The Fray on Friday).

Anyone else reading been to a Coldplay show? I got two of my best friends tickets for the Indy Coldplay show as an anniversary/birthday present back in June. She is a huge fan, but he was kind of a peripheral fan like me — but a huge music and concert connoiseur — and they both agreed that their show was amazing. I can’t imagine what it must have been like to go as a true die-hard.

Concert review: Coldplay hits all the right notes at Superpages.com Center

Another local stage was graced with the forces of British alternative rock Tuesday night, as Coldplay performed at Superpages.com Center in the band's second Dallas show in nine months.

The amphitheater bustled with animated fans who were standing on chairs and taking pictures with their cellphones. Audience members ranged from children sitting with their parents to women in their 50s and 60s waving glow sticks.

Two giant screens showed alternating images of band members and close-ups of frontman Chris Martin's hands pounding the piano keys. Martin joked with the crowd and cursed the screens for serving as a reminder of his long-overdue haircut.

During more high-energy songs, Martin didn't waste any stage space; he spun, jumped and ran from one side to the other.

About half of the 90-minute set consisted of music from the band's fourth and most recent album, Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, which veers from previous albums with a more electronic influence.

But the band didn't neglect its older songs. One of the first in the set was "Clocks" from the group's second album, A Rush of Blood to the Head.

Shortly after, they played "Yellow," the single that catapulted them to national fame. With that, huge yellow balloons were released into the crowd.

The band members made their way into the sea of fans, and performed in two locations other than the main stage. From one, the band paid tribute to the late Michael Jackson with "Billie Jean."

Abstract pictures were projected onto five giant globes, and a screen behind the stage flashed countless images: black-and-white battle footage, spinning spirals and quickly moving films of bright city lights.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-coldplay_0723gd.State.Edition1.1e476fa.html