✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

what is "the scientist" really about?

mojoker

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think this coming in tails thing is kinda about animals that chase their own tails and they keep spinning and spinning and are stuck in the same place. like, this song line is trying to compare that to our lifes, i guess. And the heads on a science apart would mean that, this kind of stuff is beyond our comprehension. It's a science that we don't understand.

That's just my interpretation, though.

now what in the world would warrant another discussion group on the scientist when there is already one there? well firstly, i just want to get some attention :) secondly i think there is a certain principle at work in music which i just discovered when i listened to that song. it may sound simple- and it probably is- but i wonder if artists think much about the "recieved meaning" of a song that they write. with the scientist, i must confess i have never seen the video (which artists dont get a whole lot of say in past the general outline anyway), but i believe that the song lends itself to a pretty cool interpretation- and this is half the beauty of writing- what makes artists like the counting crows and colplay so good is that it is up to you (the listener) to find the meaning in the song.

for me, the scientist is a song about a person (not unlike myself) who wrestles with science and faith. i believe the writer is speaking to God (not a girl) in the song and he is speaking from the voice of a scientist who is told by everything and everyone around him that there is no God, yet he is realizing that science (which many deem the final determining factor on knowledge) is not as objective as he had first made out- that it is in fact very subjective and subject to error and even unintentional manipulation. so- despite what science (and everything else) tells him he is willing to go on what he "feels"- that there is a God- and he wants to talk to Him about life and stuff.

please give the song another listen and tell me what you guys think is the meaning-

[email protected]

its about splitting up with someone and wanting to get back with them. this is one of coldplay's easier songs to figure out the lyrics to I think

oh and haha it doesn't sound like fake plastic trees to whoever said it. :lol:

yeah, i totally agree julia. I think it's the most beautiful song ever recorded. and yeah, there are so many ways to interpretate it.

oh and haha it doesn't sound like fake plastic trees to whoever said it.

whoa... now that you said it... i think it really sounds a lil bit like fake plastic.

yeah, i totally agree julia. I think it's the most beautiful song ever recorded. and yeah, there are so many ways to interpretate it.

oh and haha it doesn't sound like fake plastic trees to whoever said it.

whoa... now that you said it... i think it really sounds a lil bit like fake plastic.

you think? it doesn't to me ::shrugs:: :smug:

• 3 weeks later...

I AGREE

I think The Scientist is about breaking up with someone......coz having recently experienced a breakup , i can relate to the lyrics...

Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry

You don't know how lovely you are

I had to find you, tell you I need you

Tell you I set you apart...

Nobody said it was easy

Oh it's such a shame for us to part

Nobody said it was easy

No one ever said it would be so hard

I think the references to science are about how human emotions are more powerful than science ...

I was just guessing at numbers and figures

Pulling the puzzles apart

Questions of science, science and progress

Do not speak as loud as my heart

hmm...i love this song :roll:

A scientist could be someone who relied not on his feelings but on some facts, maybe what people used to say about him and his girlfriend, and when the relationship was over it was difficult for him to admit it, cause for him everything seemed to work just fine, according to some "scientific" rules. He's also realized that the relationship is about the feelings first, then about working your life out with the person you love. He simply realized it too late. I LOVE THIS SONG. And I think that the video may be a hint (Chris & Co. had to agree on the idea, am I right? So maybe they chose smthg close to the meaning of the song's lyrics?) :smug:

• 1 month later...

The Scientist is about crystal meth.

It's about somebody meeting up with their connection to get crystal meth. It's calles The Scientist just because of the way meth is made ... laboratory stylee. Nobody said it was easy.

Chris's moans are nothing but his reaction to getting his fix.

Just a theory.

• 1 month later...

The scientist in my opinion is a song about love lost.. and this scientist who discovers that not even science can mend or repair the damage done.

"Science and progress do not speak as loud as my heart"

I don't want to dig too deep as it would only explode my precious brain.. heh