✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

17-May-2009: Lakewood Amphitheatre, Atlanta, GA, USA

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was right infront of them when they came back!

I was freaking out! Chris Martin high-fived me! hahaha :P

IMG_6790.jpg

IMG_6795.jpg

IMG_6796.jpg

IMG_6789.jpg

IMG_7058.jpg

IMG_7059.jpg

IMG_7060.jpg

IMG_7009.jpg

IMG_6957.jpg

IMG_7088.jpg

IMG_7001.jpg

IMG_6822.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

Show was just amazing! Georgia on my mind was incredible. Got real close when they came out on the lawn. Was a little bit chilly and wet but still an awesome show! Enjoy the pics. I will try to upload vids of COL and the "mexican phone wave" with Im A Believer if my computer lets me.

Good morning Coldplayers! Last nights show was really fine. Twitter just sucked though. Everyone I asked up in the front of the pit was having

a bitch of a time getting anything phone related to work at all. Very frustrating.

As for the show ...the setlist was indeed virtually the same- but Glass of Water sounded great. In fact the sound in general was really, really good. Chris's voice in fine form and good volume from the rest on harmonies. People went nuts for 'Georgia On My Mind' and it was really well sung.

I thought Chris seemed a little more 'in the moment' than some shows that have seemed like autopilot performances ... (Very chatty, a good bit of giggling, lots of grinning at Jonny, and LOTS of thanking the audience for coming out on such a rainy night.)...so I really enjoyed this one.

....and holy shit the rain. They came on and the skies opened up and it just poured for most of the show....& got cold. I was so proud of the crowd because they gave a ton of energy in the seats and lawn as well. At least it seemed that way from the pit.

I was a little worried that the boys might be a little road weary or uninspired but I think they really were focusedand having a good time.

Finally, on a personal note Chris grabbed my banner and propped it up on the piano..yay!

I'll post some inevitably mediocre pics / video shortly and in the meantime already excited for everyone going to the next show...I think y'all are going to have a great one.

Awesome Kelly!! :dance: And I've seen the pic too!! Karma baby:cool:

Coldplay Kick Off New “Viva la Vida” Tour With Grand Gestures

Confetti paper butterflies. Giant yellow beach balls (dropped during “Yellow” — get it?). Super high-definition live video. Friday’s opening night of the last leg of Coldplay’s Viva La Vida tour in West Palm Beach was an Olympics-esque spectacle, complete with five orbs dangling over the band’s heads that served as screens for more state-of-the-art camera work.

Coldplay are playing big sheds for this summer stretch — about 16,000 fans filled the Cruzan Amphitheater — and, despite their sad songs, grand gestures suit them. The quartet, dressed in their Sgt. Pepperesque jackets, want nothing more than to please. That’s why they twice made excursions to small ancillary stages in the middle of the venue, to show their “respect for the lawn,” as Chris Martin said in one of his many shiny, hammy comments (someone hire him a script doctor). He then choreographed the audience to hold up their lighted cell phones and perform what he called “the first ever Mexican phone wave,” before leading the band into an acoustic cover of the Monkees’ “I’m a Believer.” Believe.

One doesn’t go to a Coldplay show expecting shock rock or even anything more mildly challenging than having to commiserate with Martin over his bad haircut. With Martin’s piano riffs and falsetto croon, the band stops just shy of being alt-rock’s answer to smooth jazz. Their music is almost unnervingly tight; Jon Buckland’s Edge-walking leads rang out in the kind of perfect stage mix you rarely get at shed shows. They played long — almost two hours — and they played well, hitting all the bright spots of their catalog (though changing the song selection little from their earlier U.S. leg). “The Scientist” has been moved to an encore position, Will Champion’s high-hat fillip creating just the right dramatic tension. The butterflies rained down during “Lovers in Japan.” Gwyneth Paltrow was standing center front (not out in the lawn), singing along with hubby Martin.

Given how eager Coldplay are to please, they made a serious misstep with the distribution of free CDs that they touted would be available after the show. A few people handed out woefully insufficient quantities of LeftRightLeftRightLeft at only one of Cruzan’s exits, causing Coldplay’s heretofore-happy, polite fans to get ugly. (A more raucous crowd would have rioted or at least trampled someone for good measure.) Presumably, the band will have this sorted out at future dates — or they’ll just decide everyone who cares will have downloaded LRLRL already and give up on the idea (which Martin claimed as the band’s own original concept, even though Prince did it years ago).

Pete Yorn played before Coldplay, performing angsty ballads from his recent CD Back and Fourth. While Coldplay are practiced entertainers who know how to play to every corner, Yorn and his five-piece band with their earnest, indie songs sounded dwarfed by the venue. It’s nothing that a million or so bucks in audio and video technology and a movie-star wife couldn’t cure.

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/35352240.html

Coldplay is one of my favorite bands. I love them! Viva la Vida is such a fun album- and so many of the songs are just written to be heard live- in a very large crowd.

Last summer Daniel and I were waiting at the computer at 10:00am, sometime in June, for the moment when Coldplay tickets went on sale. They were coming to Philips Arena in Atlanta- amazing venue to see a band like them. We clicked on ticketmaster at 10:01 am and got amazing tickets. But alas, the Lord called Daniel to China the exact week that we were supposed to go to Coldplay. ha. I will say, he hesitated for a moment when the trip came about- but we both thought he should probably say yes to a free trip to China to do earthquake relief work, and be able to play worship music there openly. It was an amazing trip- but he did miss Coldplay.

So I went! with Sarah!

If you've seen this tour- you know they stop everything in the middle of the show, and walk out into the crowd and sing from a portable stage somewhere in the crowd. Well, they walked down from the stage and walked right up to our section!

Now, I do not think that the band members of Coldplay are some super heroes, and I would not swoon if they touched me or anything like that- but I do think it's fun to be able to see and hear a band you listen to all the time!

So sadly, Daniel missed his second Coldplay show (they canceled in Birmingham several years ago due to illness- so they say).

So Sunday night they came back to Atlanta- and we didn't have tickets this time- but we had to go anyway. We stopped by the atm and got out only the amount we were willing to spend. I even prayed for cheap tickets (God cares about the little things right?). We walked right up to some scaplers and offered $60 for two tickets (through ticketmaster it would have been close to $120 for two). He sold them, we walked right in and got some amazing spots on the lawn. They played at Hifi buys ampitheater, so if you had lawn seats you could just bring blankets and relax, and sit wherever you found a spot.

Not bad huh! The show was amazing! You could definitely tell they have been on tour for over a year because they were much more silly and laid back this time. Chris Martin even broke into a nice rendition of "Georgia on my mind" and changed lots of his own lyrics to fit to Atlanta and this crowd. He thanked the crowd over and over for spending money to see them, and standing in the rain (there was a steady drizzle the whole night- which i loved!).

He even walked all the way back to the lawn seats and sang to all of us on the lawn. It's always fun to sing with thousands of other people too!

During the song "yellow" they released huge yellow illuminating bouncing balls which were filled with confetti when broken. And of course they had huge gun like things that shot out their signature butterflies at the end.

http://theadventuresofdt.blogspot.com/2009/05/viva-la-vida.html

how could i have forgotten to post the picture of me on stage with chris? why didn't anyone comment on that duet of yellow in their reviews?

REMOVED - too ridiculously dumb to leave up.... LOL i need another hobby.

ok, stupid, but i can't tell you how bored i am right now.... it's been a real long day!

disclaimer: photoshop used to create this picture (duh) and it took 2 minutes :)

SET LIST OF SONGS PLAYED AFTER OPENING ACT

Anyone know the songs that are played after the opening act and before Coldplay comes out? I think one is a Sigur Ros song.

Any help would be much appreciated! TY!

how could i have forgotten to post the picture of me on stage with chris? why didn't anyone comment on that duet of yellow in their reviews?

REMOVED - too ridiculously dumb to leave up.... LOL i need another hobby.

ok, stupid, but i can't tell you how bored i am right now.... it's been a real long day!

disclaimer: photoshop used to create this picture (duh) and it took 2 minutes :)

where's this photoshopped pic?