30-May-2009: Post Gazette Pavilion, Pittsburgh, PA, USA

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning everybody :smash:

... just 13 more days to go!!!!

I am so very excited .... this is just my 2nd show, this time I shall have my camera, lol

I was a good girl in Cleveland last Oct. 21st ... tix said no camera's .. so I listened (like an idiot .. a sad idiot .. lol) ... but at Starlake camera's are allowed so .....

I am all set ... bought 7 tix, have the bases all covered I think? :smash: :wink3:

See ya's all then!!!! :heart: :love: :drummer: :crown: :flutterby: :hug: :guitarist: :clap: :escaping:

one more month!!

i've been surprised how quiet the sales for this leg of the tour seem. i mean live nation still has over 30 pit seats open after the drop here..

IKNOW!!!! I was thinking the same thing, Ive actually been monitoring the Pit seats on livenation.com since they have went on sale, there hasn't been a day were the Pit section was not available, I thought i got lucky at first getting ahold of two....Usually the Pits for Post Gazette sell VERY quickly.

If you go to the Click N' Pick Seat map on Livenation.com for the show its says there is still 1 Pit ticket available, There were 2 available yesterday....

:stunned:

It REALLY makes me curious as to how big the PIT is or is going to be. From what i remember going to the Post Gazette Pavilion the PIT held about 50 people... maybe?

From the looks of it with all these dots on the Click N' Pick option. It appears that there are over 500 people in the PIT....Does anyone know how many people there are going to be ? or How big the section is? Its really going to suck if there's over 500 people there in the Pit with me, Looking over all those heads isnt getting me too excited(if its true). I guess arrive there really early and try to get in front?

Click N' Pick PIT availability:

http://tickets.livenation.com/cgi-bin/tickets.htm?fun=tdetailb&doc=detailb&key=597$2760&eid=405542&oid=07E3F343F663F127A3F3F6D701525163F3F377A&fun=tdetailb&id=EC2_NO_SESSION&doc=detailb&key=597$2760&affiliate=EC2&referer_info=405542#

I'll be in the pit, too!! Can't wait ;)

Do you know anything about the capacity it the Pit though? Did you read my post at all or no? If you didnt, try reading , you might not be too excited after doing so.

Do you know anything about the capacity it the Pit though? Did you read my post at all or no? If you didnt, try reading , you might not be too excited after doing so.

there were over a hundred listed on LiveNation after the ticket drop. then add whatever the scalpers had on StubHub and the likes and whatever actaul fans were able to pick up the first go round. so i'd imagine it would be a couple hundred, but with such a big stage that could mean it still only goes back a handful of rows.

I'm really excited to be there, even though there might be a lot of people in the pit. I say, the more the merrier.

I'm really excited to be there, even though there might be a lot of people in the pit. I say, the more the merrier.

I hear ya, im really excited too, just dont want to be standing behind 8 rows of people (im only 5'7). I think im going to get there early, before the gates open to get a good spot if theres going to be hundreds of people in the pit

I hear ya, im really excited too, just dont want to be standing behind 8 rows of people (im only 5'7). I think im going to get there early, before the gates open to get a good spot if theres going to be hundreds of people in the pit

speaking of getting there early and gates opening... what time are the lots gonna up on saturday? normally i'm not a big tailgater before concerts, but i have a lot of friends coming in for this and we want to get thre early for some food and drinks before the show.

The doors open at 6:30, I think. I'm going to try to get there around 3 or so to hang out for a bit. I just went to the Hershey show (really good, BTW), and my whole family is going to this one. Talked them into going....got tix on the lawn...not the greatest seats, but at least we're in the door and can dance our butts off. should be a good time.

I seriously have a pit in my stomach about all this. My whole family is coming from all over PA and MD to this show. He'll have Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday night to get better. Hopefully, that'll do the trick!

Pittsburgh Preview:

When Prince played the Arena a few years ago, people walking in were delighted to be handed a copy of his new album, "Musicology." Coldplay isn't going that far, but the beloved British alt-rock band will be passing out free copies of a nine-track live album that it very well could have been selling at Wal-Mart.

Why the gift?

"This last year we enjoyed playing live more than we ever have," says guitarist Jonny Buckland. "It was the most fun and we were feeling like we've been playing better than we ever have. We feel like the crowds have been better than ever as well, in terms of how much people sing along and how much energy they bring. So we felt that we wanted to record that and we thought, well, 'Let's make a record of that and give it away.' It seems like the right thing to do. It was no more considered than that."

The tour that brings Coldplay to Pittsburgh for the opener of the Post-Gazette Pavilion season is an extension of the Viva La Vida tour that started last June and already has thrilled fans across the United States, Europe and Australia.

"Viva," the band's fourth album, was another bona fide success for Coldplay, debuting at No. 1 on the charts and winning the Grammy for Best Rock Album. It even won acclaim from critics, something for which Coldplay has had mixed results. Most were on board with "Parachutes" and "A Rush of Blood to the Head," but Coldplay started to lose people with the paler "X&Y." Imagine the critic for The New York Times declaring you "the most insufferable band of the decade."

"You read some of it," Buckland says of the criticism. "You try not to read it but somehow you're drawn to it like a moth to the flame. I think you try to take positive things out of the bad press. I think it's good in a way to examine what's good and what isn't. I think sometimes critics have a really good point about what you're doing, and whether it could be better. Sometimes you feel like they're wrong. Other times, they're really right and that's probably when it hurts the most. You have to change it, so it's probably useful. As far as good press goes, I think you almost don't register it. It's the bad press that sticks with you, unfortunately."

Coldplay has had to get used to comparisons to either Radiohead or U2 or a combination of both in every story about the band.

"I really don't mind them at all," Buckland says. "At first, we felt a bit limited by [the comparisons] maybe. I don't really get that upset about them. I can see their influence in some of our songs, but not everything. They haven't accused us of plagiarism," he adds with a nervous laugh.

Buckland refers to charges by guitar wiz Joe Satriani that the song "Viva La Vida" copped a melody from his instrumental "If I Could Fly."

"There isn't a lot I can say, other than, these things take an interminably long time to deal with," Buckland notes.

On the morning of the interview, a new wrinkle develops with folk-rocker Cat Stevens saying he actually used the melody before that, during his epic "Foreigner Suite."

"I just did an interview about 20 minutes ago and that was the first someone told me about it," Buckland says. "But I don't know anything about it.

"Are we being sued?" he says sheepishly.

Then he adds, "Well, we can't have copied both of them."

When it's pointed out that this happens quite often, usually behind the scenes, when bands get this successful, Buckland says, "Yeah, it's perhaps no coincidence that it is our most played song."

On the bright side, Coldplay surely has money to burn after the popularity of "Viva La Vida" and a tour of venues much bigger than the Palumbo Center, where it first played in Pittsburgh. Back then, singer Chris Martin would hang close to his keyboard. Now the shows are more animated to play to the last row.

"The bigger the place you play the bigger you have to make it," Buckland says. "Now we try to play all around the arena, play out to the audience to try to make it feel a bit more intimate. If you sit in the back of a giant venue, you feel like you haven't been to anything."

One of the byproducts of amping up the live show for bigger venues is the tendency for acts, such as U2 or Bruce Springsteen, to write bigger songs, sometimes losing the intimacy.

"I suppose it can happen," Buckland says. "I think often when you come straight off tour and go into the studio, it takes a few months for it to get out of your system. I think you stop purely thinking about playing live in large places. At first when you get in the studio you feel like everything you do should get a round of applause. You go in with a big ego. It takes a while for that to get displaced."

Coldplay won't be going back into the studio until after the tour, but to hold people over until the next record, it did release an EP called "Prospekt's March," which contains a few songs, like the rocker "Glass of Water," that might turn up in concert.

"There were a lot of arguments about why that didn't make the record," he says. "The EP itself is made up of songs from the 'Viva' sessions, but for some reason or another we didn't feel like they fit. We really did like the songs, but we wanted to keep it short and make it a complete thing, so some things had to go. I think we felt with 'X&Y,' we probably made a slightly too long record. We didn't want to make that mistake again and we were willing to sacrifice those songs we thought were good to make the album better."

Writing and recording a new album these days is a bit more complicated than it was back when the band formed as students in 1998, as the members have moved on to family life. Buckland says it has changed the band dynamic, in some good ways.

"I'd say we're a lot more kind to each other. At times when we were a lot younger we could be quite cruel to each other -- you know, demanding -- whereas now we're a bit more accepting of people's little foibles and idiosyncrasies. We're more accepting of each other, a bit nicer."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09148/973031-388.stm

show's just been moved up a half hour, so the howling bells will be on at 7:00 instead of 7:30, pete yorn from 7:50 to 8:30 and coldplay to come on around 9:00.

the show's info message says the parking lots will open at 5:30 and the gates will open at 6:30. but that was before the start time was moved up, so i'm gonna assume those will be moved up a half hour as well.

now i just gotta hope the band is well!!

see you soon!

ill prob get flamed for this, but i personally wouldnt mind seeing the show pushed back to later this summer if his voice isnt going to be 100%.. not to mention the pens gm 1 of the finals is sat night, too. im sure thats not going to help with filling the place to capacity.

im assuming noones heard what the 'illness' is for sure?