5-Jun-2009: Verizon Wireless Music Center, Indianapolis, IN, USA

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this has been posted yet...

REVIEW: Coldplay lives up to the hype

By KELLY DAY • [email protected] • June 8, 2009

bilde?Site=C7&Date=20090608&Category=ENTERTAINMENT02&ArtNo=90608022&Ref=AR&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

MUNCIE — It was no secret that one of modern day’s biggest bands was paying a visit to the Hoosier state Friday.

From local restaurant Scotty’s that played their music all day, to the TV weatherman who advised viewers to take a light jacket to the big show, Coldplay was everywhere.

But was it worth the hype?

Definitely.

Whether you’re a Coldplay fan or not, the band knows how to put on a good show — complete with giant yellow balloons, butterfly confetti, lasers and spinning globe projection screens.

Scrunched together on a single blanket, seven friends and I watched the show from the lawn section of the Verizon Wireless Music Center in Noblesville. Despite the tight quarters, our $35 (or more than $50 with added fees) “seats” were sufficient, providing us with a good view of the stage.

After opening act Snow Patrol, who only caught the audience’s attention with their biggest hit “Chasing Cars,” Coldplay took the stage with sparklers in hand, and lead singer Chris Martin wearing his recognizable multi-colored jacket.

If anyone carries the show, it’s Martin, who delivered several witty one-liners throughout.

At one point, the British singer shared two things he had learned already that evening. The first: Don’t start a show with sparklers when it’s still light outside. The second: Before putting on a show in Indiana, learn the collective name of its people (He made the mistake of calling the crowd Indiana-ins during one song, but later corrected himself by incorporating “Hoosier” into the lyrics of another).

Before his solo version of “The Hardest Part,” which he played on one of two small stages located further out in the audience, Martin also joked that he was practicing toward his goal of becoming Justin Timberlake.

Coldplay played around 25 of their biggest hits for the audience, coming from albums “Viva La Vida” (2008), “X&Y (2005), “A Rush of Blood to the Head” (2002), and “Parachutes” (2000), plus a cover of Neil Diamond’s “I’m a Believer.”

They started with their latest album’s “Live in Technicolor.”

Judging by audience reaction and participation, fan favorites were “Yellow,” “Strawberry Swing,” and “Viva La Vida.”

What made “Yellow” special was the release of enormous yellow balloons into the audience.

“Strawberry Swing” was one of my favorites simply because my friend passed around strawberries for us to eat during the song. The perfect weather, combined with the taste of strawberries and the feel-good song made it truly seem like “such a perfect day.” Or at least a perfect moment.

“Viva La Vida” was clearly a hit because the audience continued to sing the chorus, well after the band had finished. And instead of repeating “encore” at the end of the show, they once again sang the chorus, which enticed the band out to finish with “The Scientist” and “Live in Technicolor.”

Coldplay makes any song seem special, because of their impeccable musicianship and Chris Martin’s almost flawless vocals. Only at one point did he have a vocal blunder, but his funny reaction made the mistake well worth it.

This week, Coldplay travels to New Orleans, San Antonio, Des Moines and Omaha.

If you can’t make it, you can still download their free 10-track, live album “Left Right Left Right Left” at www.coldplay.com.

http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?template=zoom&Site=C7&Date=20090608&Category=ENTERTAINMENT02&ArtNo=90608022&Ref=AR

Nice pics !:nice:

Why were you all THAT close ? :bigcry:

Indianapolis is like Coldplay heaven... lol except not rlly. But yeah, Coldplayers owned that show I guess. We were everywhere, especially in the pit!

How awesome was that night... I'm still in shock.

Coldplay concert / feature story

Noblesville, Ind. - When an enormous yellow beach ball bounced out of the audience and hit bassist Guy Berryman in the head in front of more than 20,000 fans in attendance according to the “Indianapolis Star,” he couldn’t help but turn to his fellow Coldplay band mates and laugh. Lead singer songwriter, Chris Martin, with a wide smile, launched the ball back into the crowd, but only after he’d boyishly kicked it around the stage to his satisfaction and the crowd’s amusement.

The prop was released with 20 more or so of the same as a tangible way to get the audience involved during the foursome’s performance of their single, “Yellow.” But it was the candidness seen in the reaction of the multi award-winning band onstage to a silly circumstance that kept the audience captivated for two full hours of music. Even the edges of seats in the Verizon Wireless Music Center weren’t sufficient means to prepare for whatever would happen next. Collectively, the crowd stood the entire time.

The beginning of the show on June 4, 2009, gave the band a bit of trouble when technical effects were masked in sunlight, which still shined brightly as they graced the stage at 9 P.M. Front man Martin later laughed off the awkward start to the show in a transitional spiel when he disclosed the two things he’d learned that evening; that “lasers don’t work in broad daylight” and to “know what to call your audience,” after being received with unified giggles when he addressed its members as “Indianans.”

But at the first guitar twang of “In My Place,” the crowd erupted in cheers and whistles from the seats to the lawn. At the peak of the song, Martin pointed his microphone towards the audience and, as if casting a spell, magically transformed the venue into an impromptu chorus upon his invitation to sing as loudly as possible. The sun had set by the end of the song, and the ear-to-ear grins of the members of Coldplay reflected the comfort they felt after finally finding solid ground and a sound that struck a chord with their fans. Longtime Coldplay follower, Corey Alston, was on the verge of tears when Martin dedicated his favorite song, “Fix You” to “everyone on the lawn”-a population that included Alston himself.

“I seriously thought I might cry,” Alston said. “I was looking forward to that concert more than any other concert I’ve ever been to. It meant so much to feel like Chris (Martin) actually knew I was there.”

Coldplay had already taken steps to show appreciation for its fans and their support before its U.S. summer tour began. On May 15 of this year, the band made its live album, “LeftRightLeftRightLeft” available as a free download from its official website, and announced that the same album would be passed out at every Coldplay show scheduled on the tour. According to the band’s website, “the give-away is meant as a recession-busting mark of gratitude to everyone who’s supported (Coldplay).”

“Playing live is what we love,” the band said, in a statement on their website regarding the free release. “This album is a thank you to our fans - the people who give us a reason to do it and make it happen.”

It seemed an extension of Coldplay’s gratitude when the band walked off the main stage, meandered through the aisles of the lower level seats, and made its way to a second, smaller stage set up in the midst of the fans themselves. Even those on the lawn began running down the enormous length of stairs, past security guards at the greater odds of getting away with seeing the band up close. Lawn ticketholder Kristen McKeon jumped over a barred section of seating when it became obvious the band was meeting its further-away fans halfway, and swears she was no more than 15 feet from Martin as he played and sang, “The Hardest Part.”

“I can’t believe I did that,” McKeon said. “I can’t believe the band did that. It’s amazing and awesome and obvious that (Coldplay) went out of their way to give everyone that showed up their money’s worth. I will never forget this.”

Neither will general admission ticketholders, who hardly predicted getting a $100 glimpse of Coldplay-the price of choice seating in the lower level. The band returned to the main stage and played through songs from their most recent LP, “Viva la Vida,” before they abandoned the stage once more to weave through the audience. The spotlight that followed their path disappeared for a few seconds, only to reveal their new place on the lawn. An avalanche of people rushed from the furthest corners of the venue to the base of the hill where the British quartet relocated and asserted both literal and metaphorical common ground when their cover of the Monkees,’ “I’m a Believer” broke into a massive sing-along.

Coldplay returned to the stage one last time, and the music ended with the bang of confetti canons during the song, “Lovers in Japan” and a long-winded “thank you” from Martin on behalf of the band. The venue lights came on and unveiled thousands of people scrambling for their free albums and pieces of confetti. The ending lyrics of the final song on “Viva la Vida” played over the loudspeakers-”in the end, we lie awake and dream of making our escape.” But as fans raved and reminisced on the eventful evening and scavenged for something to remember the night by, it was apparent that the act of leaving was no such “escape.”

http://www.radiowaveshello.com

I totally agree! COldplayers dominated this show :smug: it was pretty epic! :D :p and SO fun!

very weird seeing my college town write a coldplay review tho! :thinking: that muncie review that Zeya posted is my college town..........:P it just seems weird they were so close and in my state! :P

I finally have uploaded my vids, they suck, for some reason whenever I zoomed in and out it sped up the recording...WTF?!?! :veryangry2: but they are ok so I will share them ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA5bSsrPM80]YouTube - Will drumming during Clocks[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KDo7wNWW4]YouTube - COLDPLAY LIT JUNE 5 2009 NOBLESVILLE[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAjvxVeQzFA]YouTube - Viva la Vida June 5 2009[/ame]

hahah VIVACOLDLAY! yeah i think i commented on one of yours vids today or something............:rolleyes: silly me i wrote something like "I WAS AT THE INDY SHOW TOO!" hah :P should of known it was a fellow coldplayer! ;)

Haha well once you said you were in the front also, I kinda figured it was another coldplayer because we ruled the front row this show

I finally have uploaded my vids, they suck, for some reason whenever I zoomed in and out it sped up the recording...WTF?!?! :veryangry2: but they are ok so I will share them ;)

nonsense these vids are fabulous! :wacky:

WIll in the first one! :wideeyed: o my! but of course i would expect nothing but 100% Will quality in that one since its coming from Mary ;)

and Chris is all up in your camera during Viva! :stunned: he was so close to you guys!!!

nonsense these vids are fabulous! :wacky:

WIll in the first one! :wideeyed: o my! but of course i would expect nothing but 100% Will quality in that one since its coming from Mary ;)

and Chris is all up in your camera during Viva! :stunned: he was so close to you guys!!!

Thanks so much Liz :kiss: I watched them again, and thought well they aren't so bad :laugh3: I know Chris kept jumping around during Viva, it was hard to keep up with him haha and of course you know me, I had to have loads of Will :wink3:

:sneaky:Yes, Chris was all up in your camera! Enough to see he is wearing the wedding ring again!
hahaha very true

Great vids, thank's ! :)

Thank you! :D