✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Big Day Out 2010

deaths_friend

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think we can quite safely say that Soundwave 2010 has trumped BDO 2010. They might not have anyone as big as Muse but Faith No More, Janes Addiction, AFI, Placebo and My Chemical Romance are all bigger than the next biggest name on the BDO line up, Powderfinger.

cant wait for placebo sideshows.

well the final tickets for the BDO in Australia have been snapped up. news came through early yesterday that only the way people can now buy tickets is through a ballot system which if im not mistaken is available for every city. i think its safe to say that this is the most successful BDO in history which i must admit has taken me by surprise because i still feel that the line up is nothing special at least compared to 2007 and 2008. i think its more to do with the economic climate than the line up.

Bands that fasterlouder.com.au have mentioned as possible second round announcements.

After two rapidly sold-out shows in August, PHOENIX is now a bona-fide ‘big deal’ in Australia. The Gallic heartbreakers hinted they’d be back for a summer festival – and FasterLouder knows which line-ups they’re NOT on. Could this be the one?

With a mysterious promo visit to Sydney next month, VAMPIRE WEEKEND is one of the hottest tips to appear on the next round of acts. The Ralph Lauren ambassadors have a feverish following here and a new album ‘Contra’ due in January 2010. Boxes ticked.

Big Day Out could use another dazzling lady, and Natasha Khan dazzles like few others. BAT FOR LASHES is one of those names often rumoured for festival line-ups, but has so far proved elusive. It’s a long shot for BDO, but one worth barracking for.

One of Australia’s best-loved live bands, GYROSCOPE recently told FasterLouder they’re angling for a spot on the Big Day Out bill. We’d say that puts them at pretty safe odds.

We’re still putting ambitious odds on German pyromaniacs RAMMSTEIN to set the Big Day Out stage ablaze again - if only for the thought of Lily Allen playing the next set.

A wildcard perhaps, but surely FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS is due to appear on an Aussie festival line-up soon? The musical parodists have just released a second album of tunes from their hit HBO series, so we reckon it could be Business Time for Big Day Out.

Fresh from a round of world-conquering, Australia’s reigning live act THE PRESETS is back here in January. We have an inkling Kim and Julian could be contending with Groove Armada to close the Boiler Room.

With The Strokes taking their sweet time to record their next album and JULIAN CASABLANCAS' solo album due any day now, we think that the recently rehabilitated frontman is a chance.

Nathan Williams - the hipster pin-up behind the psyched-out punk of WAVVES - said he’d bring the band here for summer. Laneway seemed like a shoe-in, but it was not to be (yet). A sun-soaked side-stage at Big Day Out may be beckoning.

The dark and dastardly spot on the line-up might already be claimed by The Horrors, but we’re tipping GLASVEGAS as black-clad-band-number-two. Hot from a Mercury Prize nomination, we’d like to see them put in a sweltering show.

We know that that Warren Ellis is in town this February AND that Nick Cave has been planning a promo tour here for the release of his new book. Given this timing and the band’s history with the festival, NICK CAVE AND THE BAD SEEDS is an outside chance.

When PASSION PIT told FasterLouder they’d be here for a summer festival, we had them pinned for Falls or Laneway Festival. Perhaps the hyped five-piece has decided on an early afternoon set in the Boiler Room. Consider them the anti-Calvin Harris.

With two reliable Aussie festival-starters Grinspoon and Powderfinger already confirmed on the bill and rock opus 'Cosmic Egg' just cracking on the masses, we are putting pretty good odds on WOLFMOTHER to be announced on the second line-up.

Yes, we may drag RANCID out for every possible line-up announcement prediction, but the band is not playing ANY other festival this summer and has promised to break its 11-year Australian tour drought. It's got to happen.

Sometimes in life all you can do is dream. We would like to think that there is a chance (albeit only slightly less than a snowball in hell) that the BDO will bring out the one and only pixie king, DAVID BOWIE for their 100th birthday celebrations.

Bowie? FOTC? Wolfmother? Vampire Weekend? Phoenix? Julian Casablancas? Presets? Glasvegas? If any of these bands are announced I will collapse..... with excitement.

Well, the rest can go to V festival or laneway's 2nd announcement! WOOOOO

out of those here are my tips

- Phoenix (would be soooo awesome)

- Gyroscope ( good band but havent done anything particularly awesome)

- Passion Pit (surprised they werent on the first line up)

- Glasvegas (have they toured aus yet? i quite enjoyed their debut last year)

- Julian Casablancas (Serj Tankian of 2010?)

Wolfmother and The Presets are too big to joint the line up. they would be demanding a spot like powderfingers on the main stage. of course if either join you wont hear me complaining. flight of the conchords would be very interesting at a big fest. not too sure about vampire weekend coming in november then coming back again within a couple of months.

im assuming you go to the auckland leg of the festival which is famous for not having a barricaded D section.

Could you maybe elaborate on this a bit? This'll be my first festival and I have no idea what's going on and what that even is :P

ok

if you watch festivals and big stadiums shows from the 80s and 90s you will see that the crowd is standing undivided, there are no barricades breaking the crowd into sections. towards the turn of the century in particular Roskilde Festival 2000, crowd crushes were becoming a commonality, at Roskilde this ended in 9 people being crushed to death. so many of these events started introducing D barricades, which separates the front section of the crowd from everyone else. i'm guessing you saw Coldplay in melbourne on their last tour did you notice how the standing area was divided into two sections. thats an example of a small D barricade. a similiar thing is used at the BDO. this is the best pic i could find

http://www.airviewonline.com.au/photos/0901-2330-04/Sydney-Big-Day-Out?PHPSESSID=2bef105d44e6f089d022d7115d93c342

see how theres a barricade not far from the stage. that photo was taken at midday. its usually packed by around 6pm and security wont let anyone else in. im not 100% how it all works with people going in and out. you will have to ask alex that.

every BDO has a D barricade except the Auckland one. simply because NZ laws are different to Australian ones.

Only the main stages (Blue/orange).... the green (in my opinion always the best) has real barrier at all...

As for D-barrier, It usually gets packed around 6pm.. they will only let people in if others are coming out... it was full for arcitc monkeys last year and then everyone cleared out when Niel Young came on! (Prodigy and Dropkick murphys >) I was on the edge of the D-Barrier last year, so I got to see people being pulled out... its quite far back, but you have to expect to be pretty jammed in if you go in there. I am planning to this year providing a good act is on before muse.