✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Philippines need your help

SantaClaus

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LBC Foundation has relief operations in Singapore, KSA, UAE, HK, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan, UK, Spain, Italy, you can drop off your goods there.

This one is specifically for Singapore:

LBC AirCargo: 04-077 Lucky Plaza, Orchard Road, Singapore

And here is their online website: http://www.lbcexpress.com/

Anyone who wishes to send help in any way (monetary, canned goods, toiletries, clean clothes, towels, blankets), please take them to the Philippine embassy/consulate in your country as there are no relief points that has been set up yet that we know of aside from the LBC branches.

I'm really sorry for taking actions just now, as I've been dealing with plenty of stuff. I'll try my very best to coordinate with someone outside the country so we can set up relief points just like from 2 years ago. Its really heart breaking to see the news and hear first hand accounts of the people who were affected by the flashfloods and whose families drowned. And at christmastime. :cry:

Don't forget to pray for the Philippines...

Here's another for monetary donations thru PayPal:

Online donations (credit and debit cards)

#HelpCDO by CDO Bloggers: Paypal ID [email protected]

#oneforiligan by Iligan Bloggers: Paypal ID [email protected]

I got these from an asian correspondent (you might want to check out if its a credible source before sending though):

http://asiancorrespondent.com/72286/philippines-how-to-help-typhoon-sendong-washi-victims/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16249763

19 December 2011 Last updated at 17:23 GMT

Philippines floods: Aid agencies say 120,000 in need

Aid agencies in the Philippines are trying to reach more than 120,000 people affected by flash flooding on the island of Mindanao.

Coastal communities were devastated early on Saturday in flash floods triggered by a tropical storm.

Officials in two cities said mass burials were being organised as bodies were rapidly decomposing in the heat.

At least 972 people died in the disaster, according to goverment sources.

"We lost count for those still missing," disaster managment chief Benito Ramos said in a short statement.

Disaster agencies are attempting to provide food, water, medicine and body bags, but damaged roads are hampering efforts to reach survivors in remote villages.

The authorities on Mindanao have been criticised for their handling of the disaster, the BBC's Kate McGeown reports from Cagayan de Oro, one of the worst-hit areas.

Other parts of the country have detailed plans of what to do if a strong storm or typhoon happens, but it seems that many officials on Mindanao were caught unprepared, she adds.

About 40,000 people on Mindanao are living in evacuation centres after losing their homes and possessions.

China and the US are among international donors offering assistance.

Mr Ramos said funeral parlours had been overwhelmed by the catastrophe.

Speaking from a boat off Cagayan de Oro, he told AFP news agency: "I'm out here retrieving bodies that are starting to rise to the surface."

Corpses unclaimed

Officials in Cagayan de Oro said corpses were piling up unclaimed at mortuaries and overworked staff had run out of coffins.

One establishment turned away the bodies of two drowned children, local media reported.

The ports of Iligan and nearby Cagayan de Oro bore the brunt of the flooding.

Two concrete communal tombs were being constructed in Iligan, said Teresita Badiang, an engineer at the Iligan mayor's office.

The bodies would be placed side by side "so that their burial will be dignified", she added.

Strict guidelines would have to be followed for mass burials, including photographing corpses and listing identifying marks, said Philippine Red Cross chief Gwendolyn Pang.

"I'm sure their families will look for them," she said.

The flash floods struck in the early hours of Saturday as a passing tropical storm coincided with high tides.

As rivers burst their banks, many were trapped in their homes while in other areas entire villages are reported to have been swept away.

Although the Philippines is struck by several typhoons and tropical storms every year, the south of the country usually escapes the worst damage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16251316

19 December 2011 Last updated at 17:21 GMT

Philippines floods: A Christmas to forget in Mindanao

By Kate McGeown / BBC News, Philippines

When Jerry Mamonguy last saw this wife and three children, they were clinging on to the roof of their home as it was washed down-river.

"My neighbour's house slammed into mine. Everyone fell in the water and was pulled by the undertow," he said.

He is now on a desperate search to find out what happened to his family - a hunt that has taken him to evacuation centres and morgues around the coastline of northern Mindanao.

We met him as he came out of one of the main funeral parlours in Cagayan de Oro City. More than 60 bodies were there, but he recognised none of them.

As he headed off to his next destination, he looked broken.

Another woman at the mortuary, Catherine Cabahug Ramos, was also visibly upset.

She had identified her mother's body earlier in the day, gone back home, then when she came to collect it, found it had already been claimed by someone else.

Outside the building, people were making rudimentary coffins - but it was clear they could not meet the demand.

It is obvious that the authorities are struggling to cope with the sheer scale of the disaster.

At the morgue we visited, some of the bodies had been moved to a nearby landfill site, simply to get rid of the smell.

And in Iligan City, which was also badly affected by the storm, mayor Lawrence Cruz came to a difficult decision.

"We have decided, after consultation with our city health officer, that we should start digging graves for the bodies and bury them temporarily because they are already in the advanced state of decomposition," he told local media.

Water challenge

But it is not just the dead that are an urgent issue - many of the living are also in need of basic essentials like food, water and shelter.

According to both World Vision and Unicef, which are both providing aid in the region, adequate drinking water is currently the biggest challenge.

When we visited one of Cagayan de Oro's evacuation centres - a building that is usually used as a school - 15 people were living in every room.

When a water truck arrived, everyone picked up plastic buckets and bottles and went running towards it, eager to get as much as they could.

Each one of them has a tale to tell from the day the storm barrelled into the region.

One little boy showed me a scar from where he was hit by a large piece of corrugated iron. A lady of 86 described how she was shivering and crying at the time she was rescued.

Some of the schools and community halls they are now living in still have Christmas decorations - but for many people here on the northern coast of Mindanao, this is likely to be a Christmas they would rather forget.

Headlines from other news sites:

CBC Edmonton: Deadly Philippines storm requires mass burials 31 mins ago

News24.com: Mass burial for Philippine flood victims 2 hrs ago

Reuters UK: Philippines digs graves after typhoon kills hundreds 6 hrs ago

Yahoo! UK and Ireland: Flood-hit Philippine cities prepare mass burials 6 hrs ago

----------------

How to help:

Watch inengsol's post 322 & Sparkle's posts 327 and 328 above

News from Danish text-TV (DR1 and TV2):

The past week-end's typhoon Washi left enormous devastation on the south-Filipino island of MINDANAO where villages have been destroyed and roads have disappeared.

Dead bodies are spread along rivers and in streams.

Today - Tuesday, 20 December 2011 -the Filipino president Benigno Aquino III visited the affected area, and he promised that the government will help the many thousands of victims.

"This is a national disaster. I can guarantee that the state will assist you in rebuilding your houses. In return, I expect you to promise me that you will not build in areas where you might be in danger (at risk)", he said.

News from TV2 News, live:

The death toll has passed 1,000. Thousands have become homeless (I think the figure was more than 40,000).

FEAR OF DISEASES AFTER TYPHOON ON THE PHILIPPINES

(source: Danish text-TV on DR1)

Local officials on the southern part of the island of MINDANAO that was hardest-hit by the storm "WASHI" said Wednesday that there is a growing risk of cholera and other diseases.

The storm triggered FLOODING and LANDSLIDES.

The death toll has risen to over 1,000. According to the authorities, the death toll might rise because dead bodies of those washed into the sea during the storm are still being washed ashore.

According to official information, 44,000 people that fled flooded houses are now living in evacuation centres with no good sanitary conditions what increases the risk of epidemics.

PHILIPPINES DIGGING GRAVES AFTER THE TYPHOON "WASHI"

Source: Danish newspaper "Berlingske Tidende", 20.12.11

ILIGAN: Yesterday, aid agencies transported body bags, food, water and medicine to the packed evacuation centres in the southern part of the Philippines (Mindanao). At the same time, the authorities decreed that hundreds of graves should be dug in order to avoid / avert diseases after the hundred+ deaths in last week's flood.

According to the Filipino authorities, so far 684 are confirmed dead, whereas more than 800 are missing after the typhoon "Washi" that hit the southern island of Mindanao sending masses of water and mud through the villages along the rivers of the island.

THE PHILIPPINES (TV2): THE NUMBER OF MISSING AFTER THE RAVAGING OF THE TROPICAL STORM "WASHI" IN THE SOUTHERN PHILIPPINES RISING

The fate of 1,080 people is unknown. Relatives make inquiries in their search for missing loved ones. The number of missing is much higher that what the authorities estimated up to Thursday when between 400 and 500 were reported missing.

The Danish newspaper Berlingske Tidende wrote on 24 December 2011:

Denmark has donated 300,000 Danish kroner to the southern part of the Philippines (Mindanao). The aid is earmarked 1,500 families in the southern Philippines - in particular in the area covering Cugayan de Oro and Iligan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16336706

27 December 2011 Last updated at 12:26 GMT

Philippines Typhoon Washi death toll reaches 1,249

A total of 1,249 people are now known to have died in flash floods that struck the southern Philippines more than a week ago.

Officials say more bodies had been found in the waters south of the island of Mindanao.

It is not clear how many people are still missing but officials say the search for bodies will continue.

Typhoon Washi struck from 16 to 18 December, devastating the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan.

Many of those who died were sleeping as Typhoon Washi caused rivers to burst their banks, leading to landslides. Entire villages were washed away.

Civil defence chief Benito Ramos said that an earlier higher death toll provided by the health department had been revised downwards and that the current toll was now based on an actual count of both identified and unidentified recovered bodies.

Appeal for funds

Regional disaster council chief Ana Caneda told AFP news agency that they expected to find more bodies.

"There are still a lot of areas we have examined that are stinking of dead bodies," she told the agency. "We don't know how many people are buried under that mud."

The national disaster agency said it could take up to six months to build temporary housing for the 60,000 who are now homeless in the wake of the storm.

Many of them are currently taking temporary shelter in school buildings.

The chairman of the Philippine Red Cross, Richard Gordon, told the BBC that providing long-term housing was a challenge.

"Right now, what they (flood victims) are in need of is transitional housing," he said, adding that they would have to move out of school buildings and into tent cities by 3 January when classes start.

"The problem is land. We need to have safe land, land that will not be threatened by any earthquake or any floods or any landslides," said Mr Gordon.

Aid agencies have appealed for funds to help those who are affected. The United Nations is seeking $28.6m (£18.2m) from donors to help provide water and sanitation to storm victims.

Related Stories

Philippines missing 'over 1,000' 23 DECEMBER 2011, ASIA

Human cost of Philippines floods 23 DECEMBER 2011, ASIA

A Philippine Christmas to forget 19 DECEMBER 2011, ASIA

In pictures: Philippine flood devastation 18 DECEMBER 2011, ASIA

From other news sites

China Post: Philippine civil defense adjusts flood casualties to 1,249 -1 hr ago

AFP via Yahoo! : Philippine flood toll rises to 1,249 - 10 hrs ago

Mail & Guardian Online: Bodies pile up as Philippine rescue efforts stagnate

12 hrs ago

SABC : Christmas with a difference for Philippine flood victims - 58 hrs ago

NEWS.com.au : Philippines flood toll feared doubled

23 Dec 2011

Don't stop giving

Good morning. Me and my friends were able to set up an account to receive monetary donations across the world thru PayPal, so this one we can directly monitor, the PayPal ID is: [email protected] Do send me a private or visitor message when you've deposited your money so I can monitor it.

Also, these people are still in need of clothes, towels, blankets, underwear (seriously) or relief goods especially water and toiletries (napkin and diapers) so if you have spares please hand them over to any LBC branch in your country (so far I only know these countries to be involved in the relief operations: Singapore, KSA, UAE, HK, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan, UK, Spain, Italy). The addresses of the LBC Branches in your country could be found here: http://www.lbcexpress.com/

Guys, more than a thousand people died because of the typhoon and most of the people from Cagayan de Oro and Iligan spent their Christmas mourning over their passed and missing loved ones with no Christmas feast to eat or even a house to live in. Let's give love on Christmas day.

We need your prayers, let's pray for the Philippines...

Also, I heard from the news today that the mayors of those two places affected (Cagayan de Oro and Iligan) are starting to rebuild infrastructures and already have places where they can relocate the displaced families. The president of our country was suggesting to turn the flooded area which is considered as the catch basin now to turn into a park or something.

For once, maybe I need to say this just to express my feelings towards this calamity: I am so pissed that the 'logging ban' in our country has not been passed still amidst the many flashfloods that has been happening. Not only that, some big companies are digging our rivers (which is very near my place). My dad being a government official is totally against it but he's part of the minority and there are more people in the government that is greedy with money and could not stand for what is right. I will show pictures soon. This one, is about the recent calamity that struck our country: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150556652711340.437720.694386339&type=3

DEADLY LANDSLIDE IN THE PHILLIPINES

At least 25 have lost their lives and 100 are missing after a landslide in the southern part of the Philippines. The affected area is mainly inhabited by golddiggers according to the authorities.

The landslide occurred in a remote mountain village close to the town of Pantukan on the island of Mindanao. A unit from the military is rescuing people out of collapsed buildings - according to the authorities.

The area has attracted thousands of golddiggers for decades. There have been numerous deadly accidents due to unorganized digging.

• 1 month later...

On 6.2.12 there was a magnitude 6.7 (other media says 6.8 or 6.9) earthquake.

Local reports talk about as many as 43+ dead people, and many were injured. Some school children on their way to school died.

There were landslides - and several aftershocks (one of them powerful - magnitude 6.2.

I posted about it in the thread: News in relation to natural disasters - copied the text to post it here as well, but in that second my internet connection was cut for hours.

Latest on yesterday's earthquake from BBC World News:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16920797

7 February 2012 Last updated at 04:39 GMT

Teams search for Philippine earthquake survivors

Rescue efforts are continuing after Monday's powerful earthquake in the central Philippines that left dozens of people dead or missing.

Army teams were carrying out search operations, said Ver Neil Balaba, operations officer at the regional Office of Civil Defence, and police had been deployed to prevent looting.

''The most urgent needs now are water, tents and food,'' he said.

The quake hit 70km north of Dumaguete city on Negros island.

The 6.7 magnitude earthquake struck at 11:49 (03:49 GMT) at a depth of 20km, according to the US Geological Survey.

As of 08:00 local time, an official report put the death toll at 15 confirmed dead, 44 reported missing and 52 injured.

The death toll includes two children, according to the government's National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).

One local report on Monday put the number of dead at 43, including many people killed in a landslide in the badly-hit coastal area of Guihulngan.

But this report has not yet been confirmed by the central authorities. Telecommunications have been cut in many areas.

A series of aftershocks followed the initial quake, one of them registered a magnitude of 6.2 at the epicentre.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology issued a tsunami alert for the area, but had lifted it by 14:30.

'Trapped inside'

On Tuesday, public schools and two universities in Negros Oriental province were closed.

Regional officials and an administrator from Manila had also arrived in the area and were assessing damage and needs, said Mr Balaba, who is based in Cebu.

Damaged roads and bridges added to challenges faced by rescue workers and the transport of aid and supplies.

In the town of Guihulngan, about 90 km north of Dumaguete, reports said some houses had been completely buried by landslides, and the market and court house were also damaged.

The town's 42-strong police force, joined by army personnel and volunteers, had been searching for survivors and clearing debris, said Inspector Alvin Futalan, police chief of Guihulngan.

"The army (troops) had to walk about 50 km from the last stop reachable by vehicle to reach us," he told the Agence France Presse news agency.

Nine bridges were damaged in Negros Oriental, with four no longer passable, said Governor Roel Degamo.

The quake also caused a landslide in the mountain village of Solongon in La Libertad town, in the same province.

"We're now getting shovels and chain saws to start a rescue because there were people trapped inside. Some of them were yelling for help earlier," La Libertad police chief inspector Eric Arrol Besario told the Associated Press by phone.

• 8 months later...

News in relation to natural disasters on the Philippines on 27 October 2012

24 DEATHS IN THE PHILIPPINES AFTER TROPICAL STORM / TYPHOON SON-TINH

A tropical storm / typhoon by the name of Son-Tinh has cost at least 24 human lives on the Philippines. The victims were washed away by watermasses, drowned or were buried in mud or have frozen to death according to the Filipino authorities.

More than 15,000 people are now in emergency shelters.

Additional 40,000 have received provisions (food and beverage) and other assistance at home.

8 fishermen from the central and southern part of the Philippines are missing.

On Friday the authorities had mentioned a death toll of 6, but this has risen to 24.

Every year the Philippines are hit by an average of 20 powerful storms or typhoons.

Source: German ARDtext + Norwegian NRK News + Swedish SVT Text

• 1 month later...

NEWS IN RELATION TO THE PHILIPPINES ON 3 DECEMBER 2012

THE PHILIPPINES: FEAR OF TYPHOON "BOPHA"

Due to the approaching typhoon "Bopha", almost 8,000 people in the Philippines have left their houses. People living in the coastal and low-lying areas have sought safer places according to the authorities.

The typhoon BOPHA is expected to make landfall on the east coast of the island of MINDANAO with wind gusts / speeds of up to 210 km per hour and heavy/torrential rain (skyfall).

The authorities are reported to have stored food and rescue equipment in the areas where the typhoon might pass. The wind speed has been measured at 175 km per hour.

According to the head of the Civil Defence in the capital Manila, Edgardo Ollet, it would be the strongest typhoon in the Philippines this year.

In december 2011 a typhoon destroyed the towns / cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan City. More than 1,200 people died.

Sources: German ARDtext + Swedish SVT Text

News in relation to natural disasters on 4 + 5 December 2012

Up to 230 DEATHS IN THE PHILIPPINES CAUSED BY TYPHOON BOPHAS

The death toll following typhoon BOPHAS in the Philippines has risen to 230.

The typhoon that mainly hit the island of MINDANAO and particularly the southern island's east coast - triggered floodings and landslides.

Worst hit was the Compostela Valley with at least 151 deaths - according to government spokes(wo)man Fe Maestre - including 66 inhabitants and soldiers who were washed away by a FLASH FLOOD that had flooded 2 emergency shelters and a field camp near the city of New Bataan on the island of MINDANAO yesterday / Tuesday. Hundred other people are missing in the province of Davao Oriental according to spokesmen for the government today / Wednesday.

An unknown number of fishermen at sea are also missing.

More than 50,000 people have sought refuge in evacuation shelters.

Many flights were and ferries were cancelled.

This is the strongest storm in the Philippines for 41 years with wind gusts of up to 210 km per hour.

Sources: German ZDFtext, Swedish SVT Text, Norwegian NRK News + Danish dr.dk/news and TV2 News

UPDATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT AT 10PM aka. 22 o'clock

AT LEAST 300 CONFIRMED DEATHS IN THE PHILIPPINES CAUSED BY TYPHOON BOPHA

The death toll following typhoon BOPHA in the Philippines has risen to 300. The typhoon has left a devastated landscape in the southern part of the Philippines.

The typhoon that mainly hit the island of MINDANAO and particularly the southern island's east coast - triggered floodings and landslides.

Worst hit was the Compostela Valley with at least 151 deaths - according to government spokes(wo)man Fe Maestre - including 66 inhabitants and soldiers who were washed away by a FLASH FLOOD that had flooded 2 emergency shelters and a field camp near the city of New Bataan on the island of MINDANAO yesterday / Tuesday. About 300 people are missing - many of them in the province of Davao Oriental according to Minister of the Interior Manuel Roxas today / Wednesday. Entire families were washed away, he said after a tour in the disaster area.

An unknown number of fishermen at sea are also missing.

Hundreds are injured, and almost 200,000 people have sought refuge in evacuation shelters.

Many flights and ferries were cancelled.

Landslides and floodings made the streets impassable which made it difficult for the rescue teams to reach those in need of help.

This is the strongest storm in the Philippines for 41 years with wind gusts of up to 210 km per hour.

Later BOPHA weakened and headed westward to the South-China Sea.

Sources: German ZDFtext, Swedish SVT Text, Norwegian NRK News + Danish dr.dk/news and TV2 News