✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Official Aussie Music Fan Thread

deaths_friend

hey guys. i thought i would start up this thread for all us aussie music lovers out there.

talk about our awesome artists and bands. all the latest and greatest songs and albums. local and international tours. our very awesome and very unique travelling (and non-travelling ) festival tours. discuss award nights, triple j radio (commercial radio chat not allowed) and our wicked community stations. and whatever else relates to aussie music

international people are more than welcome. we are NOT a racist country, dont believe what your media tells you. but if you're from the mother land (england) you have to first confess that in reality we are better than you in cricket.

current topics

aria award noms are out. soundwave > BDO. wolfmother no.2 over hyped? is urban music now bigger than rock music in aus?

MUSIC FROM NEW ZEALAND MORE THAN WELCOME! The Finns = Legends

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely 101% agree with NO COMMERCIAL RADIO discussions.

As for the Australian Music in my itunes library:

Bernard Fanning

Birds of Tokyo

Bluejuice

Children Collide

Crowded House (I will argue that they are a NZ band :P)

Cut Copy

Decoder Ring

The Dissociatives

The Dowlings

Empire Of The Sun

End of Fashion

Eskimo Joe

Evermore

Faker

Foxx On Fire

Gotye

Hoodoo Gurus

JET

John Butler Trio

Kisschasy

Little Red

Midnight Juggernauts

The Model School

Pete Murray

Plug In City

Powderfinger

The Presets

Red Riders

Silverchair

Sneaky Sound System

Sparkadia

Tame Impala

The Temper Trap

Thirsty Merc

Wolfmother

Youth Group

Yves Klein Blue

Wow, quite a few. My favourite Aussie artists are in bold.

my fave Aussie band would be Powderfinger!!! :D

tho i'm only familiar with their stuff from Double Allergic, Internationalist & Odyssey No. 5 (my fave album of theirs & the one that started it all). left Aussie in 2002, so i haven't heard any of their albums after that. haven't been back to Aussie yet.

Crowded House i kinda like too tho i don't really know their songs/albums very well beyond the 2 famous songs. but by chance i got to hear their free gig at the Sydney Opera House in '96 from a far off distance...couldn't see squat other than the Opera House from where i was. :dozey:

oh, & i do quite like Savage Garden with a bit of Kylie on the side. :P

^^

ive been meaning to subscribe to jmag for soooo long. i was going to last month when they were giving you a free cd with subscription but one of the cd's they were giving away was Humbug and i was afraid that that was the one they were going to give me so i didnt do it. now this month they dont have any special deal. i've bought last 13 issues haha. lets hope they have something really good with the november issue.

yeah every few months they have a special deal with subscriptions.

thought i would get started with the youtube clips

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phZNmfGaqkw]YouTube - Dappled Cities - "The Price"[/ame]

these guys did very well for themselves on their second album Granddance, which got a very very good review on Pitchfork. their new record Zounds is just as good if not better, The Price is the lead single from it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RowAc-H3EM]YouTube - Lisa Mitchell - Neopolitan Dreams[/ame]

i must admit i am madly in love with this girl and have been for a couple of years. when she was 16 she came 6th on Australian Idol after that she went off to london for a couple of years and got some very good contacts. after a couple of awesome EP's she has brought out her debut record Wonder. and now everyone is in love with her, and the reviewers arent just kind cos shes soo very cute. there is some very solid music on this album. Neopolitan Dreams was the first single and appeared on a previous EP. people have criticised her for sounding very "familiar" but she is only 19 so she has a long way to go.

Crowded House (I will argue that they are a NZ band :P)

Evermore

Umm, Evermore are also technically a NZ band :lol:

My thoughts on the ARIA noms, single of the year will EASILY be Empire of the Sun or Hilltop Hoods.

And ONE Evermore nom for a category they won't even win? :confused:

Will mention two unmentioned bands, British India and The Panics. Just for the hell of it.

Pez, Horroroshow, Downsyde, The Herd, Drapht, Muph & Plutonic and Urthboy have all had massive success on the alternative scene in the last couple of years and i wouldnt be surprised if some of those names become mainstream in a few years time.

but its not just the local scene im talking about. look at the current charts. in the top 10 right now you have david guetta akon black eyed piss (or is it peas not sure) cascada jay z and rhianna. and the highest charting aussies are guy sebastian and jessica mauboy. rock is almost no where to be seen. the highest ranking legit rock song is She's a Genius by Jet at 25.

i dont want to ruin the positive vibe of this thread. but i have to get this out there. i am ashamed to live in a country where a 'thing' like Pink is able to go 9 times platinum while a truly brilliant local talent like Sarah Blasko can only go Gold. its a f$)#ing disgrace.

Yeah I think NZ tend to appreciate Alternative music more, even though the artists really don't tour there. The only thing that the Australian charts have got right this year is putting Muse at #1. Although their previous albums are stronger, it is encoraging to see more people interested in them. I also think a lot of the artists at the festivals are reflecting a shift in tastes to British, which can only be good to eliminate emo and plastic rock.