✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Official Aussie Music Fan Thread

deaths_friend

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, didn't know you liked the dappled cities one, too! Leader Cheetah? I saw them live the other week, their album is ok, but I respect that top 5. When i get time, I will make mine.

Oh, and itunes needs another tag function/preference for country of origin.... would be pretty cool to have, then all my oz music could be together

Okay ...

I guess this is MY place :D

I have always been into aussie music and everything started way back in the 80's with the band Icehouse, who are still my fave aussie band EVER!!

I just wish Iva Davies would get his ass into gear and release something new :(

He's a genius musicwise and I know that he keeps working on stuff but I reckon' he's not content with it so he's not releasing it ... *sigh*

After that all the other 'famous' aussie bands appeared incl. INXS, John Farnham aso.

Right now I am really into Eskimo Joe and right as I type this I am listening to the album 'Conditions' by The Temper Trap. I just can't get enough of the song 'Sweet Disposition'.

Apart from that I really like to listen to Tania Moran (google her, search her on MySpace, she's got a wonderful voice!!), Kate Ceberano and Christine Anu :)

Also love(d) Invertigo and Taxiride :)

I find it exhausting sifting through Triple J's stuff these days. It seems to take a long time to find the good stuff. Maybe I'm just more impatient now.. :P

Right now I'm listening to Eskimo Joe. :D

i agree with you. there's way too much crap being put on. that's why i recommend you listen to zan rowe and richard kingsmill, they play the best stuff. but i love sitting back on a weekend and listening to sarah howell's show for 4hrs without feeling the need to change the station even once.

• 2 weeks later...

Ignore my comment about the Powderfinger single, I was actually confusing it with the Wheels one by the Foo Fighters.

That said, JET had been announced as the supporting act for Green Day. I dunno who else is going to it but I am anyway.

I love the Cat Empire... they're so much fun and they're actually really great musicians. There was a concert in Fed Square for Youth Decide, and they played, and my friends and I were right up the front! We kinda got swept into the mosh... it was so much fun but hideously hot and sweaty. I swear Felix looked into my eyes during one of their songs...

And I really respect Lisa Mitchell, because she's done such a good job of breaking the aus. idol stereotype. She's great. Coin laundry is a sweet as song.

Final Nominee List for J Award

ALBUM OF THE YEAR

+ Bertie Blackman

+ Hilltop Hoods

+ Karnivool

+ Kid Sam

+ Lisa Mitchell

+ Oh Mercy

+ Paul Dempsey

+ Philadelphia Grand Jury

+ Phrase

+ Sarah Blasko

UNEARTHED

+ Philadelphia Grand Jury

+ The Middle East

+ Seth Sentry

+ Washington

Not sure what my tips are. i'll decide in a couple of weeks. Award to be handed out on December 5th.

And I really respect Lisa Mitchell, because she's done such a good job of breaking the aus. idol stereotype. She's great. Coin laundry is a sweet as song.

So that's who sings that song? I am surprised it is an Idol one.

*meanders away to find*

^^

imo it's one of the weaker songs on the albums. tracks like Oh!Hark, Neopolitan Dreams, Stevie, Clean White Love and Red Wine Lips are nothing short of brilliant. still very surprised So Jealous hasn't been a big mainstream hit for her. at 15 tracks long the album does feel a couple too long and with the 4 demos you get with the special edition its hard to stay interested all the way through. but any album that has a solid 10 strong tracks has my respect.

re: idol. i dont think she ever had the idol stereotype. one of the reasons why she didnt win. i really enjoyed the series she was on (the 3rd one i think?) as it had a number of left field artists so she seemed more at home. since that season its just been one epic fail after another.

and good on her getting Gold status in australia. selling 35 000 copies is a bigger deal than people think, especially in this day and age. the fact that shes still only 19 makes it even more incredible.

and good on her getting Gold status in australia. selling 35 000 copies is a bigger deal than people think, especially in this day and age. the fact that shes still only 19 makes it even more incredible.

It's not for selling that amount it's for the amount of copies shipped out.

but shes still technically "sold" that many as she doesnt get paid when someone buys the cd over the counter she gets paid when a record store or department store buys it. and you'll find that unlike big commercial releases lisa most probably started off a little slow and as people started to discover her the demand picked up.