damn double post.

J Awards Nominations 2009 (so far)

+ Bertie Blackman

+ Hilltop Hoods

+ Karnivool

+ Kid Sam

+ Phrase

+ Sarah Blasko

6 more album albums to be announced. hate to say this but this years list so far is a joke compared to last years. this time last year we already had the likes of the presets cut copy nick cave cog birds of tokyo on the list with the drones and grates added later.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Radiohead were a decent chance, Arctic Monkeys definitely... As for other bands, nobody has announced Passion Pit, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, and all the others rumored to be on the 2nd BDO announcement. Just so disappointed as I loved last years SO much.

And I gave the guys proof at fasterlouder, but nobody has put it up yet! It's massive news!

damn double post.

J Awards Nominations 2009 (so far)

+ Bertie Blackman

+ Hilltop Hoods

+ Karnivool

+ Kid Sam

+ Phrase

+ Sarah Blasko

6 more album albums to be announced. hate to say this but this years list so far is a joke compared to last years. this time last year we already had the likes of the presets cut copy nick cave cog birds of tokyo on the list with the drones and grates added later.

Wow that is a bad list. Karnivool? Oh dear god. Sarah Blasko is a shoe in so far.

I think Radiohead were a decent chance, Arctic Monkeys definitely... As for other bands, nobody has announced Passion Pit, Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, and all the others rumored to be on the 2nd BDO announcement. Just so disappointed as I loved last years SO much.

And I gave the guys proof at fasterlouder, but nobody has put it up yet! It's massive news!

i dunno i just cant imagine radiohead doing our v festival. when they could easily do their own massive headlining tour with their own incredible set. i will still be very surprised if vampire weekend return so quickly, if they had any intention of playing summer festivals down here they wouldnt of done those small club shows in november. passion pit and phoenix seemed like the perfect v festival bands, but what does that even mean. indie rockers franz ferdinand are doing the Future Festival which is predominantly dominated by electronic acts, the killers are doing good vibes which is meant to be about urban party music. festivals no longer have identity. its just about selling as many tickets as they possibly can to whoever they can.

I went to a free myspace music launch last night at the ACCA in melb... it was ok, they had paulo nutini, purple sneakers DJ, Leader Cheetah and The Middle East. Leader Cheetah impressed me the most. Crowd loves Middle East, for me they had a couple of new tunes, and potential, but I feel as though by the time they release a *decent* album internationally, the 'folk craze' will be over.

Myspace was terrible at running the gig, but it was free.. so..... I'll call it an interesting evening.

^^

if you take a listen to the middle east EP you'll find that the band has alot more depth than just a folk sound. there's a brilliant 52min "mini-album" of theirs floating around the internet and contains an amazing mix of not only indie folk but some great ambient, other worldly, 13min epic tunes. sadly from reports ive heard they havent been playing much from this "mini album" on their current tour.

Recent feature albums on Triple J

+ New Moon Soundtrack - Various

+ Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

+ Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg

+ Air - Love 2

+ Dizzee Rascal - Tongue n Cheek

+ Philadelphia Grand Jury - Hope is for Hopers

+ Muse - The Resistance (album was played in full 2 days before it was featured)

+ Jamie T - Kings & Queens

+ The Bloody Beetroots - Romborama

+ Paul Dempsey - Everything Is True

imo, save Dempsey and Philly Jays. this list is a very poor reflection of the quality of music that has come out inthe second half of the year. they have totally snubbed the xx, editors, flaming lips and all of the talented aussie bands coming through. instead opting for big names and albums everyone will hear anyways. and since when was triple j too cool to play Pearl Jam? i still love triple j to death but their faults are growing by the minute.

Happy Aus Music Month everybody! this weekend triple j is playing nothing but homegrown music and i must i love it. the non stop aussie music will run for another 6hrs or so before they return to normal programming and playlisting. but for the rest of the month, all 4 live at the wireless's will be from aussie acts, every feature album will also be australian and there will be a special tribute show for Paul Kelly.

i've heard 3 songs of the new album so far. and i must they are 3 of the worst powderfinger songs i have ever heard. they're trying to do what pearl jam have done with Backspacer and being all upbeat and positive but its turned out sounding rather bland and uninspiring.

but i'll cut em some slack, they've produced more than enough great music in their career's

^^

going to pick up the new edition tomorrow. and with it i'll will subscribe cos this month u get a free Hottest 100 of all time DVD. cant wait for the december/january issue, which gives an awesome preview to the summer of live music.

Triple J Unearthed Act of the Year Nominations have been announced

+ Philadelphia Grand Jury

+ The Middle East

+ Seth Sentry

+ Washington

an awesome list in my opinion. i don't know who to pick. Last year the winners were John Steel Singers

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpeqfsfH2b4]YouTube - THE JOHN STEEL SINGERS - RAINBOW KRAUT[/ame]