December 17, 200916 yr I agree that small things are important. I don't see how I am polluting the atmosphere. I don't see how my grandma is polluting the atmosphere. I can only see my mom doing that with driving. She sometimes drives me but I usually go by bus or by foot. I don't see how I could change my actions to "help the planet". That's how global warming being a fraud or not doesn't really affect me, because I don't see what I could do. I support clean and fresh air regardless of global warming. Now when it comes to expressing my opinion on global warming, I have a problem because I don't know what to think. Should I fight for decreased emissions of CO2? Should I talk to people convincing them that the planet is doomed? Or should I talk to them saying it's all fake? I don't know. I can only keep thinking about it until I find some sort of a solution. But thats the thing, there are so many ways that you are in fact indirectly polluting the atmosphere. If you have the lights on in your house, or have a computer on, or you're watching TV....those things all require electricity. Most electricity comes from burning coal, oil, gas, etc. And all of those things give off carbon dioxide. When you buy food that is shipped across the ocean, and/or trucked hundreds and thousands of miles you are polluting the atmosphere unless this is all being done by solar powered transport trucks....well you know what I mean. So if you or your grandmother are doing any of these things (i.e. not living in a cave) then you are polluting the atmosphere, there is no way of sugar coating it. Take a look at your carbon footprint. http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx
December 17, 200916 yr But thats the thing, there are so many ways that you are in fact indirectly polluting the atmosphere. If you have the lights on in your house, or have a computer on, or you're watching TV....those things all require electricity. Most electricity comes from burning coal, oil, gas, etc. And all of those things give off carbon dioxide. When you buy food that is shipped across the ocean, and/or trucked hundreds and thousands of miles you are polluting the atmosphere unless this is all being done by solar powered transport trucks....well you know what I mean. So if you or your grandmother are doing any of these things (i.e. not living in a cave) then you are polluting the atmosphere, there is no way of sugar coating it. Take a look at your carbon footprint. http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx Okay. You are right, I interact with the world. As for that calculator... I'll just post my answers here, because I don't know how to answer some. House: How many people are in your household? 3 Electricity: I don't know Natural gas: I don't know Heating oil: What? Coal: I assume we don't use coal? I don't know. LPG: What? Propane: ...I don't know Wooden pellets: What? Flights: I've been on a plane 2 times in my life. It was from Belgrade to Corfu, Greece, and back. Car: I don't drive. Motorbike: Don't have one. Bus & Rail: I go by bus to aikido practice and back 3 times a week (except once every two weeks when my mom drives me, in one direction). I'm not sure how far away that is. If I go by bicycle (which I do during summer and generally when it's warm and nice weather) it takes me around 30 minutes. I also go by bus to some other places, let's average it to 2 or 3 times a week (in one direction), and those are pretty short rides. Haven't traveled by train in years. Secondary: Food preferences: I don't really like meat and I mainly eat white. Organic produce I... don't know? I am pretty sure most of it is organic. In season food Depends. But more yes than no. Imported food and goods We have a weekend house where we grow some fruits and vegetables, but we also buy food and I don't know where that comes from. Fashion I buy new clothes when I need them. Packaging I haven't really thought about this. When my mom buys stuff in the supermarket she uses too much plastic bags, at least in my opinion. As for me, I always use the ones she brings home from the supermarket if I need them. Furniture and electricals I don't know. Recycling Sadly not much stuff gets recycled in this country. My mom, grandma and me separate paper from other junk. Plastic bottles too, I think, or at least we used to... nobody wants to recycle it. Recreation I rarely go outside in my free time. I haven't been to the cinema in months, and I've been to a bar/cafe once in the past... well, I'm not sure. In the past 3 months or so. I don't go to restaurants. I don't enjoy the "carbon intense" activities mentioned on that website. Car manufacture My mom uses a car owned by the company she works for. Finance and other services Huh? I do have a bank account... I'm saving money.
December 18, 200916 yr Scientists Considered Pouring Soot Over the Arctic in the 1970s to Help Melt the Ice - In Order to Prevent Another Ice Age http://www.zerohedge.com/article/scientists-considered-pouring-soot-over-arctic-1970s-help-melt-ice-order-prevent-another-ice The cooling world http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2006/apr/02/20060402-112828-5298r/
December 18, 200916 yr Shrinking ice caps in Canada: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050309142557.htm http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/science/Canada_Ice.html Arctic cap shrinking: http://www.pewclimate.org/impacts/icecap Shrinking polar glaciers in Greenland: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/03/060317112333.htm More on shrinking ice caps: http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/qthinice.asp
December 18, 200916 yr Ice shrinks in someplace and grows in others.... 1,000 ago there where changing glaciers, that does not prove anything. The Earth always changing, like Arctic ice is growing now. I'm going to laugh in 30 years when global cooling is going to kill us again.
December 18, 200916 yr 1) There is “no real scientific proof” that the current warming is caused by the rise of greenhouse gases from man’s activity. 2) Man-made carbon dioxide emissions throughout human history constitute less than 0.00022 percent of the total naturally emitted from the mantle of the earth during geological history. 3) Warmer periods of the Earth’s history came around 800 years before rises in CO2 levels. 4) After World War II, there was a huge surge in recorded CO2 emissions but global temperatures fell for four decades after 1940. 5) Throughout the Earth’s history, temperatures have often been warmer than now and CO2 levels have often been higher – more than ten times as high. 6) Significant changes in climate have continually occurred throughout geologic time. 7) The 0.7C increase in the average global temperature over the last hundred years is entirely consistent with well-established, long-term, natural climate trends. 8) The IPCC theory is driven by just 60 scientists and favourable reviewers not the 4,000 usually cited. 9) Leaked e-mails from British climate scientists – in a scandal known as “Climate-gate”- suggest that that has been manipulated to exaggerate global warming 10) A large body of scientific research suggests that the sun is responsible for the greater share of climate change during the past hundred years. http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/1461... I have included some music that you can play while working on your rebuttal. http://www.youtube.com/watch... http://www.topix.com/forum/who/al-gore/TOUG8P8Q2N8NJE250/p13 I hope science wins in the end. http://nov55.com/gbwm.html
December 18, 200916 yr Report: 12 month global temperature drop nearly wipes out past 100 years of warming Excerpt: All four major global temperature tracking outlets (Hadley, NASA's GISS, UAH, RSS) have released updated data. All show that over the past year, global temperatures have dropped precipitously. Meteorologist Anthony Watts compiled the results of all the sources. The total amount of cooling ranges from 0.65C up to 0.75C -- a value large enough to erase nearly all the global warming recorded over the past 100 years. All in one year time. For all sources, it's the single fastest temperature change every recorded, either up or down. http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature+Monitors+Report+ Worldwide+Global+Cooling/article10866.htm http://nov55.com/gbcool.html Excerpt: Snow cover over North America and much of Siberia, Mongolia and China is greater than at any time since 1966. The U.S. National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) reported that many American cities and towns suffered record cold temperatures in January and early February. According to the NCDC, the average temperature in January "was -0.3 F cooler than the 1901-2000 (20th century) average." China is surviving its most brutal winter in a century. Temperatures in the normally balmy south were so low for so long that some middle-sized cities went days and even weeks without electricity because once power lines had toppled it was too cold or too icy to repair them. There have been so many snow and ice storms in Ontario and Quebec in the past two months that the real estate market has felt the pinch as home buyers have stayed home rather than venturing out looking for new houses. In just the first two weeks of February, Toronto received 70 cm of snow, smashing the record of 66.6 cm for the entire month set back in the pre-SUV, pre-Kyoto, pre-carbon footprint days of 1950. And remember the Arctic Sea ice? The ice we were told so hysterically last fall had melted to its "lowest levels on record? Never mind that those records only date back as far as 1972 and that there is anthropological and geological evidence of much greater melts in the past. The ice is back. Gilles Langis, a senior forecaster with the Canadian Ice Service in Ottawa, says the Arctic winter has been so severe the ice has not only recovered, it is actually 10 to 20 cm thicker in many places than at this time last year. […]Last month, Oleg Sorokhtin, a fellow of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, shrugged off manmade climate change as "a drop in the bucket." Showing that solar activity has entered an inactive phase, Prof. Sorokhtin advised people to "stock up on fur coats." He is not alone. Kenneth Tapping of our own National Research Council, who oversees a giant radio telescope focused on the sun, is convinced we are in for a long period of severely cold weather if sunspot activity does not pick up soon. The last time the sun was this inactive, Earth suffered the Little Ice Age that lasted about five centuries and ended in 1850. Crops failed through killer frosts and drought. Famine, plague and war were widespread. Harbours froze, so did rivers, and trade ceased. It's way too early to claim the same is about to happen again, but then it's way too early for the hysteria of the global warmers, too. http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/columnists/ story.html?id=332289
December 18, 200916 yr Ten Popular Myths perpetuated in Canada about the science of Global Climate Change There is no scientific consensus American scientists don't buy it - 19,000 signed a petition against the IPCC's views and the need for the Kyoto Protocol This is all within natural variability It won't affect Canada much - and definitely not in my lifetime A few degrees more will be really nice - especially for plants! The scientific models aren't very good at projecting the future Carbon Dioxide levels are not strongly related to temperature - how could they in such trace amounts? Satellite measurements have not shown the trends The observed warming is all due to solar radiation variability, not human activity Scientists are just exaggerating in order to get more funding http://www.sierraclub.ca/national/programs/atmosphere-energy/climate-change/ten-myths.html
December 18, 200916 yr i think regardless of if global warming is actually happening i think the main issue that needs to be addressed is that all of us need to take better care of our planet or it will be inhabitable perhaps not for us or our children, but our grandchildren and so on.
December 18, 200916 yr Author Climate change, do you wanna do something about it, or can't you be bothered. It's an epic topic, but I'm still interested in what the planet's youth is thinking.
December 18, 200916 yr well, if we're going into climate change and global warming and all I honestly think its a myth remember .. just my opinion
December 18, 200916 yr mmmkay. I want to do something about it, even if it's something minor. Although it's a big thing and people should be doing whatever they can to save our planet, some people are overreacting. I can't see anything happening in the next 10-20 years...
December 18, 200916 yr yeah, most people in my school don't believe in global warming.. I have a good reason why I don't believe, its just I just got up and can't think of it right now
December 18, 200916 yr Author mmmkay. I want to do something about it, even if it's something minor. Although it's a big thing and people should be doing whatever they can to save our planet, some people are overreacting. I can't see anything happening in the next 10-20 years... OK.
December 18, 200916 yr I'm ashamed to be Canadian. http://beta.sierraclub.ca/en/emily-rideout/blog/canada-colossal-fossil
December 19, 200916 yr So out of all that talk all that we get is a non legally binding whatever piece of junk they want to call it.
Create an account or sign in to comment