✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Quarter of boys aged five cannot write their name

mc_squared

Quarter of boys aged five cannot write their name

By Laura Clark

Last updated at 12:53 AM on 26th March 2010

article-1260777-08DFA17E000005DC-360_233x379.jpg

One in four boys aged five cannot write their name yet, while most girls can. (Posed by model)

One boy in four cannot write his name at the age of five, researchers found.

An analysis of children's skills after their first year of schooling shows a stark gender divide.

Girls were ahead in almost every area of early development including writing, social skills and the ability to concentrate.

Twenty-four per cent of boys were unable to write their name at the age of five - compared with 13 per cent of girls.

Sixty-two per cent of girls could maintain attention and concentration - against 48 per cent of boys.

The findings are the clearest evidence yet that the education gender divide begins in the earliest years.

The figures are based on teachers' observations of youngsters in reception or nursery classes - before they began compulsory education - as they played and carried out tasks. Out of 117 skills on which children were assessed in 2008/09, boys were ahead of girls in just three.

They were better at getting to grips with new technology, constructing objects and using different strategies to add and subtract.

The figures, from the Department for Children, Schools and Families, are based on a sample of 274,000 children in England.

The gender breakdown is the first since the Government's controversial 'nappy curriculum' for under-fives became mandatory in schools and nurseries in September 2008.

More...

Experts said the curriculum forced boys into formal learning too soon, raising the risk of them switching off education.

Professor Alan Smithers, director of the Centre for Education and Employment Research at the University of Buckingham, said: 'If we don't get it right at the beginning, it's disastrous.'

Children's Minister Dawn Primarolo said: 'It is reassuring to see that we are making good progress in early years development, with over 90 per cent of young children achieving a solid grounding in the basics.

'Whilst boys' achievement is improving, girls continue to improve at a faster rate.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1260777/Quarter-boys-write-aged-five.html#ixzz0jFMxyJWM

Boys should be out destroying ants with magnifying glasses and making bows and arrows for killing small game / the neighbor's cat.

Girls should be indoors playing tea party and learning cursive.

Neither should be obese.

Girls > Boys

Boys should be out destroying ants with magnifying glasses and making bows and arrows for killing small game / the neighbor's cat.

Girls should be indoors playing tea party and learning cursive.

I did both, what does that mean? :P

Maybe like...a quarter of boys aged five have like, really hard to spell names.

same, I could read and write better than all of my classmates going into kindergarten...and I grew a superiority complex because of it.

I also developed inherent laziness, as I got used to everything being so easy.

I'm not arrogant about it though, I'm really shy.

Wow this all pretty much sums me up as well.

i thought it was pretty well know that the majority of girls are smarter at that age.

But most guys catch up pretty quickly.

I remember in primary school, from when we were about 10 onwards, the three smartest pupils were two boys and I.

( then again there was 5 girls and 12 boys in the class, but still )