✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

COUNTDOWN FOR THE BRAZIL 2014 WORLD CUP!!

busybeeburns

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The protest was turned down because Costa Rica didn't say anything until after they had lost. And even then, in what way did the US have an unfair advantage? The MLS plays in the summer heat, and your squad includes players who compete in Sweden, Norway, England, and Denmark.

They complained during the game. They should have not even started that game knowing that there was a blizzard going on.

Even if some of them play in European teams, it does not mean that all of them have are capable of playing in those conditions.

The complain was based on the amount of snow, invisibility of lines, and invasion of thirds while the game was going on, rather than on the US having an advantage anyways.

Also I watched the end of Spain vs France, no idea why you'd watch on those streams overloaded with people when the normal streams working fine (I use firstrowsports but there's any number of stream sites you dummies).

• 1 month later...

US man dies dribbling football ball to Brazil

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaTvIYohx9Q]Why I'm taking the 10,000 mile journey to the Word Cup - YouTube[/ame]

US man dies dribbling football ball to Brazil

An American trying to dribble a football from Seattle to Brazil in time for the 2014 Brazil World Cup has died less than two weeks into his trip.

Richard Swanson, 42, was hit by a truck in Lincoln City, Oregon. His football was found nearby. Swanson had set off from Seattle on 1 May aiming to raise money for the One World Futbol Project, according to his Breakaway Brazil website.

One World Futbol donates durable footballs to developing countries. Swanson hoped to travel through 11 countries including Guatemala, Mexico and Colombia.

"It will be a trip of a lifetime where I will push myself further then I ever thought possible," he wrote on his website. I felt destined that I should go on this trip," he had said in a previous interview with The Longview Daily News.

A statement on Swanson's Facebook Page announced Swanson's death and said: "His team, family, friends, and loved ones will miss him and love him dearly. You made it to Brazil in our hearts, Richard."

In a YouTube video uploaded in March, Swanson explained that he had lost his job in graphic design, after switching from a career as a private investigator. He was having "a hard time" finding another job and it had given him time to "think about what you want out of life".

He said he'd always wanted to go to the World Cup and instead of walking there, wanted to honour the tournament by dribbling a football.

Having no mortgage, no career and two grown up sons meant that "all the pieces seemed to fit" for making the trip, he said. "We are deeply saddened to learn about Richard's death," Lisa Tarver, chief operating officer of the One World Futbol Project said in a statement to AP. "He was a very inspiring man who in a very short time walked his way into many lives. Our thoughts are with his family."

The driver of the truck has not been charged, the Associated Press reports.

_67614980_hi017992827.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22537627

I knew this was what it was going to be when I saw this thread had been bumped.

Shame for all his family and friends, but can't help thinking (and maybe this is unfair of me) that given the driver wasn't charged (according to the Guardian report) then it was a bit of a foolish way to go.

Bit late now, Blatter

_66170401_qatarav640.jpg

Sepp Blatter questions viability of summer Qatar World Cup :whatever:

Fifa president Sepp Blatter believes it is "not rational" to play the 2022 World Cup in the summer heat of Qatar, where temperatures can hit 50C.

Air-conditioned stadia have been planned, but the Swiss has expressed concerns about the implications for people outside the venues. "The World Cup is more than just stadiums, it's an array of social and cultural activities,'' he said. "What do we do? It's not rational and reasonable to play in June-July."

Blatter has given varying views on the issue. In January 2011 he said he expected a winter event, but back-tracked on that a month later. In March, Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke argued that the Qatar World Cup could be moved if medical reports highlighted related health risks.

"Whether it's the right choice, that's up to the executive committee," Blatter told French newspaper L'Equipe. "The problem is knowing whether it can be played in June-July in Qatar."

The idea to move the competition away from its traditional time has previously been backed by Uefa leader Michel Platini and world footballers' union FIFPro. It has been proposed that any decision to move to a northern hemisphere winter date should be made by 2015 in order to give national leagues and competitions around the world sufficient time to reorganise their calendars.

Qatar defeated bids from South Korea, Japan, Australia and the United States to win a ballot of Fifa's 22 executive members for the right to host the 2022 World Cup. At the same ceremony in December 2010, Russia beat England and joints bids from Spain-Portugal and Netherlands-Belgium to host the 2018 event.

England's bid to host the tournament only attracted two votes. Speaking about the 2022 vote, Blatter said voters were influenced by the pressure to take the World Cup to the Middle East for the first time. He said: "There were interventions at different levels so that it would go to an Arab country. Geopolitics did its work."

He continued: "Before the awarding of a World Cup or Olympic Games, there is a meeting with the politicians. We had it here in Zurich. They influence the voters. England didn't get the 2018 World Cup and, ever since, there has been a cold war with Fifa.''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22551872

• 3 weeks later...

Japan qualify for 2014 World Cup in Brazil after draw with Australia

_67974447_japan_getty.jpg

Japan qualify for 2014 World Cup in Brazil after draw with Australia

Japan have become the first team to qualify for the 2014 World Cup and join hosts Brazil in football's showpiece tournament next summer.

Keisuke Honda scored an injury-time penalty in a 1-1 draw against Australia to secure Japan's place at the finals for a fifth successive time.

Japan have an unassailable seven-point lead in their Asian qualifying group.

Manager Alberto Zaccheroni said: "Just qualifying is not enough. We will aim even higher in Brazil."

The Italian added: "I came to bring them to the World Cup - that was my bottom line. I feel relieved that I achieved it.

"We have a very strong commitment to playing well. We are going to improve further and surprise the world."

Australia, who had taken the lead against Japan through Tommy Oar, are third in the group and battling with Jordan, Oman and Iraq for the second automatic qualifying spot.

The third-placed team will go into a play-off against the team in third in the other group, with the winner of that to face the fifth-placed South American team for a place at the World Cup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22772304

Potential surprise qualifiers:

Iceland: Has never qualified for Euros or WC, and is only 2 points behind the Swiss in Group E with an expected 3 points coming from Slovenia tonight.

Bosnia and Herzegovina: Have come close in their short history, but 2nd place-playoff losses to Portugal have kept them from the world cu and Euros respectively, but they are a comfortable 3 points and 13 goals ahead of Greece in Group G.

Montenegro: England fans will know the look of group H well. Only 5 years after being recognized by UEFA, they're ranked 25th in the world.

Uzbekistan: ...is currently ahead of Iran in Group A of the asian qualifier. Up a goal on differential, this isn't a fluke, and both teams have to play South Korea in one of their last 2 rounds.

Oman: Never having participated in the world cup, they're ahead of Australia by 2 points in their group (though having played 1 more match). I'm personally quite eager for some less than creative puns from WC commentators.

Panama: also never having made the WC finals, they're 2nd place with the best goal differential in CONCACAF qualifiers, better than Mexico or the US so far.

Colombia: narrowly missed out on the last 3 world cups, but thanks to Brazil as a host nation, has a pretty good chance of holding off Chile and Venezuela with a 4 point lead and +15 GD on both.

Ballotelli was sent off against Czech Republic who had chances but finished 0-0, squandering a chance to top Bulgaria.

Hat-trick for Robbie Keane, Ireland getting 3 points in Group C to go 3rd as Sweden losing to Austria.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C9SplyYieY]Happy Leprechaun - YouTube[/ame]

Spieler either you search videos according to the situation or you have the oddest vocabulary of youtube videos I have ever known.

I just googled 'happy leprechaun'

TBH not sure what you'd prefer, a draw with Sweden tied with Ireland but with an extra match to play, or Sweden well below, but Austria ahead by a few points.