Whatever happened to the Viva Tour DVD?

Long Live Life

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

June 23, 2010 - submitted by Rouz, France[/color]

Q. Hello dear Oracle, what do you think about this?

Have a nice day.

The Oracle replies:

Awww that's very sweet of fans to care so much about a DVD but there are no plans to release one and in this case a petition can't change that decision... whether 714 signatures on it or 71400!

That's very touching to see though and I'm sure it's not the only one in existence.

Yes it is :thinking:

i'd love to see an a compilation live cd. i imagine this most be in some way about quality control, so you'd think if there were two whole tours of footage available they could find a few songs that look good filmed. i really don't understand why they have to be so difficult with this stuff. honestly, u2 has put out so many friggen live show dvds it's becoming a joke. but these have been fantastic tours that were fantastically attended. i just don't understand what could be so bad about the footage that they'd hold it back.

yeh i think you're totally right, its about quality control, but they are stupid because the X&Y live vids were as good as the sydney ones, infact they were possibly my favourite collection of coldplay live vids ever, its sooo frustrating!! im up for sending the same messsage to the oracle, that would be funny,

Sorry - it's not that link (that's one to cures for hangovers!)

yes, it is! checked it again, it's the last post on that page number 3960, you've got to scroll down to the very bottom of the page, at least in my computer (posted by the same person who posted the one about the cure for hangovers)

The oracle said there weren't any plans to release a live DVD and that a petition wouldn't change that regardless of how many people sign it.

maybe there are no plans now but there might be in the future:inquisitive: who knows...

Behind the scenes issue?

but what if they get annoyed by the huge complaint? we should politely ask....or beg:rolleyes: hahha

Well I don't think we should do that - our energies would be better diverted elsewhere - such as helping the people of Haiti whom despite the awareness at the start of the year when the earthquake happened, are still dying amongst the rubble with the hurricane season well and truly upon them now. They still need our help, and we would be better diverting our energies to that.

As for the reasons for not releasing one, although speculation, I cannot believe Coldplay would simply want to piss off their fans. It makes no sense.

I was lucky enough to attend two of their UK performances - once at the 02 and once at Wembley, with very different experiences (right at the back for the first, right at the front for the second). The memories of those concerts will live with me forever, I had a really great time at both (as I said in my photoblog last year following the 19th Sept gig, their spectacle reminded me of what U2 had achieved with their PopMart tour - I later heard someone had taken offence at that remark - it was taken out of context - I wasn't comparing the music of U2's Pop to VLV - (for the record, I'm a U2 fan also but I never bought Pop because I didn't like it at all and it remains their only album I don't own- I was going to see them for the tracks from The Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum). I was comparing the tour from a visual perspective and what U2 had achieved with their lighting and visuals so that they added much more to their live performance. What was meant as a great compliment was taken as an insult it seems

Anyway I digress - I cannot see Coldplay being so mean spirited as to deny the joy of their live performance to those who were not so lucky to be able to attend one of their concerts - it happens through a number of reasons (family illnesses, grief, job problems etc)

I think the real reason is there has been a behind the scenes issue we are unaware of as fans - be it a falling out with the guy comissioned for their tour footage, or a rights issue that just hasn't been settled (i.e. what exactly did happen with the Sitriani case?)

I want to give the band the benefit of the doubt and believe it's a behind the scenes issue causing problems which they'd prefer not to discuss. They don't stike me as mean spirited at all, and my quip about Chris' vanity at the start of this thread was just that - a quip - I'm sure he's not that vain either! :)

mm,they may take into account what many fans think.

Perhaps. Maybe their concern is ironically they don't want to be seen fleecing fans at a time of recession?

If so, they could easily solve that problem by donating all profits from DVD sales to charity.

As things stand you have all those unofficial DVDs popping up which do fleece the unsuspecting avid fan because they're all rubbish. An official one would kill those off.

Well I don't think we should do that - our energies would be better diverted elsewhere - such as helping the people of Haiti whom despite the awareness at the start of the year when the earthquake happened, are still dying amongst the rubble with the hurricane season well and truly upon them now. They still need our help, and we would be better diverting our energies to that.

As for the reasons for not releasing one, although speculation, I cannot believe Coldplay would simply want to piss off their fans. It makes no sense.

I was lucky enough to attend two of their UK performances - once at the 02 and once at Wembley, with very different experiences (right at the back for the first, right at the front for the second). The memories of those concerts will live with me forever, I had a really great time at both (as I said in my photoblog last year following the 19th Sept gig, their spectacle reminded me of what U2 had achieved with their PopMart tour - I later heard someone had taken offence at that remark - it was taken out of context - I wasn't comparing the music of U2's Pop to VLV - (for the record, I'm a U2 fan also but I never bought Pop because I didn't like it at all and it remains their only album I don't own- I was going to see them for the tracks from The Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum). I was comparing the tour from a visual perspective and what U2 had achieved with their lighting and visuals so that they added much more to their live performance. What was meant as a great compliment was taken as an insult it seems

Anyway I digress - I cannot see Coldplay being so mean spirited as to deny the joy of their live performance to those who were not so lucky to be able to attend one of their concerts - it happens through a number of reasons (family illnesses, grief, job problems etc)

I think the real reason is there has been a behind the scenes issue we are unaware of as fans - be it a falling out with the guy comissioned for their tour footage, or a rights issue that just hasn't been settled (i.e. what exactly did happen with the Sitriani case?)

I want to give the band the benefit of the doubt and believe it's a behind the scenes issue causing problems which they'd prefer not to discuss. They don't stike me as mean spirited at all, and my quip about Chris' vanity at the start of this thread was just that - a quip - I'm sure he's not that vain either! :)

I don't think anyone said they were not doing just because...people say they just don't understand why....I'm sure there must be valid reasons why they don't do it and not just to "be mean to their fans". I agree with you here, there's so much we don't know about what happens behind the scenes. That's why people don't understand why they don't release one. I know it's not just because, we all know that I think...

Anyways, I don't think a huge complaint would help things either (btw, the begging is out of the question too, it was just a joke:P) they already know people would like a live DVD, that must not be the only time the Oracle was asked about that. That's why I think a huge complaint wouldn't be well received.

I'd love it if they released one, but as it has been said there are no plans for it at the moment and I don't believe we'll get one complaining. Maybe they'll solve the problems they've had so far reagarding live footage and stuff and release one of the next tour.

The band probably just think its not good enough or something stupid like that, we know they have a high quality control, its why they wont release "so sad". I think the members most likely to think that are Chris and Will but of course thats just speculation. Personally i'm just so grateful to whoever it was that leaked the Viva demos and at least we got LRLRL. Plus NEW ABLUM ON ITS WAY WOOHOO!! I so hope its acoustic!

i have an idea what if somemakes copies of the mtv tokyo footage and burn it on a dvd make a load of copies and send to fans on this site, then the people who recive their copies have the time could make more copies and so on and soforth.for the fans

How others see you is not necessarily how you see yourself!

I don't think anyone said they were not doing just because...people say they just don't understand why....I'm sure there must be valid reasons why they don't do it and not just to "be mean to their fans". I agree with you here, there's so much we don't know about what happens behind the scenes. That's why people don't understand why they don't release one. I know it's not just because, we all know that I think...

Anyways, I don't think a huge complaint would help things either (btw, the begging is out of the question too, it was just a joke:P) they already know people would like a live DVD, that must not be the only time the Oracle was asked about that. That's why I think a huge complaint wouldn't be well received.

I'd love it if they released one, but as it has been said there are no plans for it at the moment and I don't believe we'll get one complaining. Maybe they'll solve the problems they've had so far reagarding live footage and stuff and release one of the next tour.

I know, and the point I was making was that how others see your actions are not always how you see yourself. I know very well they're not mean spirited but to give no good reason and to ignore fan requests comes across very badly, even if the intent (wanting the best possible quality, not wanting to rip fans off) is good.

I made the point that my remark about comparing the Wembley gig to U2's PopMart tour caused offence in the Coldplay camp . They mistook the meaning - that I was saying the album was poor and their musical performance was bad. Nothing of sort - my comparison was made based on the visuals and the show, and that to my mind U2 were one of the first bands to up the game for tours with their live shows. and that they had met, if not excelled this high standard. My intent was good too.

It just goes to show perception works both ways. :)

Oh, but they always show it on Mtv once in a while, plus it's on Youtube.

A DVD would have to be live show's we have never seen.

And if there another tour diary, THAT WOULD BE EPIC :bomb:

Absolutely! I loved the one in the 2003 DVD. If they release another DVD, they should definitely include a tour diary!