✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Former employee sues McDonald's for making him fat - AND WINS

NumbersGirl

McDonald's ordered to pay ex-employee $17,500 for 65 pounds he gained on the job in Brazil

BY Meena Hartenstein

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, October 28th 2010

alg_french_fries.jpg

A McDonald's employee who gained 65 pounds on the job will get a hefty settlement from the fast food giant, thanks to a judge's ruling this week.

The Brazilian ex-franchise manager will get $17,500 from McDonald's for his massive weight gain, according to The Associated Press, which occured over his 12-year employment at the restaurant chain.

The man, whose identity has not been released, sued the company for the pounds he packed on, arguing that he felt pressured to eat the food every day as part of his job description.

He said McDonald's regularly sent "mystery clients" to conduct spot checks on the restaurant and report back on the food, so he had to make sure it was up to par.

McDonald's also gave the employees free lunches, he said, which increased his daily caloric intake.

Judge Joao Ghisleni Filho said McDonald's could appeal the ruling, and the company's Brazilian headquarters told the AP it was "weighing its legal options."

Famous for its calorie-laden Big Macs and fries, McDonald's has been the target of weight-related suits many times.

On Wednesday, a Manhattan judge ruled against a group of plaintiffs who wanted to file a joint lawsuit, which alleged that McDonald's food was a cause of childhood obesity.

The judge ruled that the suit, which has been kicking around the courts since it was filed in 2002, must be dealt with individually rather than as a group action.

"We are extremely pleased with the court’s decision," McDonald's spokeswoman Heidi Barker said in a statement released to Bloomberg News. "As we have maintained throughout these proceedings, it is unfair to blame McDonald’s for this complex societal problem."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/10/28/2010-10-28_mcdonalds_ordered_to_pay_exemployee_17500_for_65_pounds_he_gained_on_the_job_in_.html#ixzz13lWVTFDv

Guest howyousawtheworld
This is ridiculous. Did anyone force him to eat all that junk? People need to start taking responsibility for their own decisions. It's not as if he's a child incapable of making sensible choices.:dozey:

I agree. It's shocking. Not enough people in this world (especially here in Britain as well) take responsibility for their own actions. They always look to lay the blame on something else.

I agree. It's shocking. Not enough people in this world (especially here in Britain as well) take responsibility for their own actions. They always look to lay the blame on something else.

Exactly. "Victim syndrome" has reached epidemic proportions, and it's about time someone did something to eradicate it rather than encourage it to spread further.:dozey:

This is ridiculous. Did anyone force him to eat all that junk? People need to start taking responsibility for their own decisions. It's not as if he's a child incapable of making sensible choices.:dozey:

I worked at Burger King for a little while and they used to give us a free meal but we were only allowed certain things (fries, a burger & a fizzy drink). I used to take my own packed lunch to work most of the time because I was worried that I'd put on weight but a lot of people won't do that because it's cheaper and more convenient to eat at work. I think they should at least try to offer healthy alternatives.

Mark to be fair the guy probably felt very pressured to eat the stuff. He had to maintain an image.

And yes, as mentioned above, it would be highly likely the free lunches offered would only be the cheap stuff like fries and burgers. The healthier food is more expensive for them to make though, since they'd have to order things in constantly from outer sources (non-partners) so they'd be fresh, that's probably why those items aren't really offered to the employees.

I worked at Burger King for a little while and they used to give us a free meal but we were only allowed certain things (fries, a burger & a fizzy drink). I used to take my own packed lunch to work most of the time because I was worried that I'd put on weight but a lot of people won't do that because it's cheaper and more convenient to eat at work. I think they should at least try to offer healthy alternatives.

You've just proved my point. He could just as easily have prepared his own inexpensive packed lunch, and then there wouldn't have been a problem.

He made bad choices, probably as result of laziness and lack of discipline.:dozey:

Initially this sounds totally bizarre, but he may have felt pressurized to eat it, depends on the people above him and if they were neurotic enough and oddly proud of the company enough to look down on someone who eats a packed lunch like "How dare he prefer a packed lunch over our delicious meals?".

It's hard to know because a lot of news sources try to be unreliable if it means the story looks insane.

You've just proved my point. He could just as easily have prepared his own inexpensive packed lunch, and then there wouldn't have been a problem.

He made bad choices, probably as result of laziness and lack of discipline.:dozey:

What Reilly said.

Also workers in the fast food industry don't get paid very well and it's a way to save money. It might not be a lot to you but it does make a difference if you're a single mum with three kids.

Initially this sounds totally bizarre, but he may have felt pressurized to eat it, depends on the people above him and if they were neurotic enough and oddly proud of the company enough to look down on someone who eats a packed lunch like "How dare he prefer a packed lunch over our delicious meals?".

It's hard to know because a lot of news sources try to be unreliable if it means the story looks insane.

You got a point there. Some people did give me funny looks but I didn't really care as it was only a temporary job. I think it was mainly because I'm quite skinny and they assumed that I was trying to lose weight.

One woman was very proud of the company though. She actually felt offended when a customer asked for a McFlurry or a Happy Meal.

Well there we go, because of the source we don't really have a clue what to discuss here, I know judges come up with some insane conclusions, but common sense (without the interference of a news article) would tell you that he was probably pressurised in the same way, otherwise a judge wouldn't have made that decision.

And let's wait for Mark never to reply.

Also workers in the fast food industry don't get paid very well and it's a way to save money. It might not be a lot to you but it does make a difference if you're a single mum with three kids.

That doesn't come into it, because it has been proven on numerous TV programmes (including Jamie Oliver's) now that fast food actually costs more than preparing a meal using fresh ingredients.

If you were able to prepare your own (presumably inexpensive) packed lunch, I don't see why anyone else can't.:dozey:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the amount of the award. $17,500. That's probably why McDonald's was "extremely pleased with the court's decision". I'm sure McDonald's legal fees cost oodles more than that. And probably the guy's legal fees for that matter. Maybe the guy came out of the whole process in the red.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the amount of the award. $17,500. That's probably why McDonald's was "extremely pleased with the court's decision". I'm sure McDonald's legal fees cost oodles more than that. And probably the guy's legal fees for that matter. Maybe the guy came out of the whole process in the red.

Red meat?:P

That doesn't come into it, because it has been proven on numerous TV programmes (including Jamie Oliver's) now that fast food actually costs more than preparing a meal using fresh ingredients.

If you were able to prepare your own (presumably inexpensive) packed lunch, I don't see why anyone else can't.:dozey:

Im getting confused here, most internet trolls try to be unreasonable to get a reaction, in this case, you've pointed out a sentence and responded to it, but didn't acknowledge the part that makes you look like a moron.

Ah who cares you'll always look like a moron.

It's free fucking food, if you're working somewhere lots, where they will offer you your lunch so you don't have to bother buying ingredients for and packing your own, you are most likely going to go 'OH YAY FREE FOOD LET'S SAVE MONEY!thankyousir',

not 'oh this is unhealthy I'm not going to eat it', especially in this situation where you feel pressured to eat the free food.

Seems to me you underestimate the amazing power of FREE STUFF.

This is such a bullshit decison by the court, it's not like McDonalds forced him too eat :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. He (presumably) isn't a robot, after all.:dozey:

It's free fucking food, if you're working somewhere lots, where they will offer you your lunch so you don't have to bother buying ingredients for and packing your own, you are most likely going to go 'OH YAY FREE FOOD LET'S SAVE MONEY!thankyousir',

not 'oh this is unhealthy I'm not going to eat it', especially in this situation where you feel pressured to eat the free food.

After films and programmes such as "Supersize Me", I'm amazed how anyone couldn't know what eating junk food every day does to your body.:dozey:

I'm not with Cobbie on the 'people will take free stuff' argument, the company are nice enough to offer free stuff, they shouldn't have their hand bitten by people if they decide to eat it and get fat. That's illogical. If the people choose to eat it then that is their choice, regardless of whether it makes them fat or not.

I'm also not with Mark, because once again he has decided to plough through opinions and ignore the ones that concretely oppose what he thinks- people can feel bullied by their superiors to support their company, in this case he may have felt pressured to eat food they don't want to. Can you just acknowledge that?