✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 'Who Else Would I Like?' Thread

A Famous Old Painter

Okay then, here's a thread for people to find new music that they would like based on the kind of music they already listen to (yes, I'm aware of last.fm, but a personal response from another music fan would be a lot better). Basically you give the person above you a list of artists they would like (try to go for lesser known ones), according to a list they provide of what they listen to already. You then put down the kind of artists you listen to, and the next person will make some suggestions. And so on. When listing who you already listen to, try to be as extensive as possible, so that the next person has a clear idea of what you like and they won't put down music that you already like. This is really badly explained, so here's an example:

"I listen to bands:.........................."

"You'd really like .................... then!

I listen to a lot of ............................"

"Ah, you'd love these bands then: ..........."

My favourite bands are:........................."

And so on. I'll start:

I have quite a limited taste in music really, only been into it for about a year :P So here's what I do like, any lesser known suggestion would be great.

Coldplay

Muse

Elbow

Arcade Fire

Doves

Oasis

Radiohead

A bit of Sigur Ros occasionally, but not too keen on other post-rock bands

The Beatles occasionally

The Verve

Thanks, and enjoy!

Haven't we had threads like this before? :confused:

On Last.fm, Arcade Fire is similar to The National. You should definitely check them out. They've gained a lot of hype on the board this year after releasing their latest album "High Violet." They are SO GOOD. :heart:

Also, you may want to look into both Editors and White Lies. They're similar to each other, and I think they might be OK for you. :smiley:

EDIT: OH! If you really love Coldplay, go listen to Keane. I think you'd like them rather much. :nice:

OK, while we're doing this, I'm looking for bands that are a bit more obscure and out of my comfort zone. I listen to a lot of the big bands talked about on the forum. Just take a look at my Last.fm, and that'll give you some sort of idea. :nice:

I have such a limited taste in music, lol. :wacky:

So I can't really help you Violet. Sorreh. :anxious:

Unless you listen to Styx, that's about the only band I know that isn't one of the "bigger bands" and they're from the 80's. :lol: :facepalm:

So, I listen to

MUSE :heart:

Mew

Metric

Coldplay

Some MGMT

Kaiser Chiefs

The Killers

Some Oasis

Some Sigur Ros/Jonsi

Very few Radiohead songs (as in, like, 2 :wacky:)

And I'm just starting to listen to Hurts. :heart:

*needs moar music* :wacky: :heart:

And I'm going to listen to The National at some point, promise. :disappointed:

I have such a limited taste in music, lol. :wacky:

So I can't really help you Violet. Sorreh. :anxious:

Unless you listen to Styx, that's about the only band I know that isn't one of the "bigger bands" and they're from the 80's. :lol: :facepalm:

So, I listen to

MUSE :heart:

Mew

Metric

Coldplay

Some MGMT

Kaiser Chiefs

The Killers

Some Oasis

Some Sigur Ros/Jonsi

Very few Radiohead songs (as in, like, 2 :wacky:)

And I'm just starting to listen to Hurts. :heart:

*needs moar music* :wacky: :heart:

And I'm going to listen to The National at some point, promise. :disappointed:

Two Door Cinema Club, Foals, Klaxons are some of my favourites a bit like Metric and MGMT :)

Hurts is sooooo good. :heart:

No, do it now! The National needs you to listen to them. GET TO IT. :whip:

THIS. To both points. :heart:

I also need more bands. :wacky:

At the I'm listening to:

Muse

The Killers

Hurts

White Lies

Biffy Clyro

The National

Arcade Fire

Radiohead

Snow Patrol

... A bit of Placebo

Mhmm, here's some more:

Archive :awesome:

Ash (listen to Binary if you haven't already!)

Biffy Clyro (make your way backwards, reverse release order)

Cold War Kids maybe as well

James (the band, I really like "Hey Ma" album)

Jon Hopkins

Kasabian (like has been said already :))

Mumford and Sons

White Lies

Into the Wild OST

The Postal Service

Portishead maybe

Echo and the Bunnymen

The Feeling

Air

Alex Valentine :heart:

Mando Diao

Mark Knopfler

Maserati

Massive Attack

Nick Drake

Once OST

RJD2

Shortbus OST

The Eels

Oups, that was long. :uhoh:

I really like Alex Valentine and I think he isn't that well known...

If you want examples from that list just ask and I'll search for some good yt vids or something. :)

Seconded. Their second album is a masterpiece.

I like OS more.

I need to listen to more bands too. :wacky:

I actually prefer indie folk or folk rock or anything folky, more than any other genres though, like Fleet Foxes, Mumford & Sons, Beirut, Sufjan Stevens etc

I just got into Devendra Banhart recently and I like his songs a lot.

I got a mixtape from Julia and 'Girls' by Beck was the opening track. I loved it though, and considering to try more of his stuffs. Any suggestions?

Lost Cause :bigcry:

I really like Modern Guilt (the album, not the song)

THIS. To both points. :heart:

I also need more bands. :wacky:

At the I'm listening to:

Muse

The Killers

Hurts

White Lies

Biffy Clyro

The National

Arcade Fire

Radiohead

Snow Patrol

... A bit of Placebo

:wacky:

Kelly, try some Interpol.

I like:

Coldplay (I know, BIG shock)

Kings of Convenience

Jack's Mannequin

Green Day

Snow Patrol

Something Corporate

Radiohead

Lifehouse

The Beatles

Oren Lavie

Regina Spektor

And I'm starting to get into Evermore and Muse, too.

Now, before you all say 'KEANE' and whatever, I've attempted listening to Keane before, and wasn't all that impressed TBH. The same thing goes for Bright Eyes, U2, Oasis and Arcade Fire.

GOOD LUCK GUYS.

TRY KEANE AGAIN. I love Keane, anyhow. Songs that I rather like: Somewhere Only We Know, A Bad Dream, Leaving So Soon? (This is like their Shiver), the Lovers are Losing.

TRY OASIS TWICE OVER: If you don't like Liam's voice, start with songs sung by Noel, especially live: Don't Look Back in Anger, the Importance of Being Idle, The Masterplan, Half the World Away.

People who like Oasis: listen to The Who. :) I think Roger and Pete are a whole lot like Liam and Noel in terms of their function in the band. The Who is great anyhow. If you're skeptical, listen to Oasis's cover of My Generation by the Who. :D

A few of my favourite bands were revealed in this post - any suggestions for me?

I like:

Coldplay (I know, BIG shock)

Kings of Convenience

Jack's Mannequin

Green Day

Snow Patrol

Something Corporate

Radiohead

Lifehouse

The Beatles

Oren Lavie

Regina Spektor

And I'm starting to get into Evermore and Muse, too.

Now, before you all say 'KEANE' and whatever, I've attempted listening to Keane before, and wasn't all that impressed TBH. The same thing goes for Bright Eyes, U2, Oasis and Arcade Fire.

Have you heard Thom Yorke's solo work? It's pretty good, too. No, it's not as great as Radiohead, but it's nice. "Analyse" is a great track.

Since you like Regina, you should try other female singers like Feist and St. Vincent. Also, I've been really into Susanne Sundfør lately. She's Norwegian. :nice:

As for your dislikes, I really think you should give Arcade Fire another chance. I used to hate them myself (for no real reason, I don't think), but after hearing them on a mixtape, I gave them a second chance and started to like them. When I heard "The Suburbs" for the first time, my opinion changed completely about them. That album is legit.

TRY KEANE AGAIN. I love Keane, anyhow. Songs that I rather like: Somewhere Only We Know, A Bad Dream, Leaving So Soon? (This is like their Shiver), the Lovers are Losing.

TRY OASIS TWICE OVER: If you don't like Liam's voice, start with songs sung by Noel, especially live: Don't Look Back in Anger, the Importance of Being Idle, The Masterplan, Half the World Away.

People who like Oasis: listen to The Who. :) I think Roger and Pete are a whole lot like Liam and Noel in terms of their function in the band. The Who is great anyhow. If you're skeptical, listen to Oasis's cover of My Generation by the Who. :D

A few of my favourite bands were revealed in this post - any suggestions for me?

How in the world is "Leaving So Soon?" like "Shiver?" That doesn't make any sense to me at all. :inquisitive:

Also, as a side note: The Who >>>>> Oasis.

If you like Keane a lot, you should perhaps try Travis. I don't know a lot about them myself, but from what I've heard of them, they're quite good.

I'm always backlogged when it comes to music. There's only so many hours in the day. Whenever I'm looking to expand my musical horizons, I usually pull a "greatest albums of all time" list. I can't imagine moving forward without having listened to Led Zeppelin IV, Dark Side of the Moon, Abbey Road, Born to Run, Joshua Tree, OK Computer, etc. It sounds so obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many important albums people never even listen to or give a fair chance.