✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

how hard is it to learn piano?

come_on_in

I found it fairly easy; I began learning keyboard when I was 6, then moved to piano when I was 8, so I found the transfer fairly easy. As for actually learning keyboard, I don't really remember - I think it was pretty easy, though. I know other people who don't quite have the coordination for it, though - each to his own, I guess :)

It's like riding a bicycle - at first it seems very challenging, but gradually you get accustomed to it, so once you're used to the positions of the keys and the notes produced, it's really a lot like typing. Takes a while to get to that point, so keep practicing, and eventually you'll play like a pro :--)

Try not to get too nervous, but work at it basically, and let your imagination be your guide at times - it's fun to reproduce others' works, but it's more fun to create something new!

I started at age 7 and I guess things are easier when you start as a kid.

But as other posters have said, just try! (I lol'ed at your post technicolor24). Practise and dedication is what it comes down to. There's really no such thing as natural talent so much as there is natural dilligence. Put in the time and you'll be happy with the result.

I'm learning as an adult and finding it very challenging. I had no experience reading music, so that's all new too. I've only had 2 months of lessons so I guess I've got a long way to go. I am enjoying it and love practicing, but stop once I become frustrated. Since this is for my own enjoyment, I feel no pressure. If I stop enjoying it, I'll quit. I'm not going to make myself crazy.

I find Chuck Kotte's posts heartwarming -- maybe if I stay dedicated, it will just "click" on of these days and I'll be able to get through a piece without mistakes!

One other tip I learned from a music teacher: When you're practicing, when you get something right, practice it twice. Then practice something easy or something you like and can do well. That way you leave a sweet taste in your mouth (and not feel it go down/not have silver lining in the clouds...ok that was cheesy :p). Doing this will make you want to come back to it the next day.

One other tip I learned from a music teacher: When you're practicing, when you get something right, practice it twice. Then practice something easy or something you like and can do well. That way you leave a sweet taste in your mouth (and not feel it go down/not have silver lining in the clouds...ok that was cheesy :p). Doing this will make you want to come back to it the next day.

That's good advice and I can see how it can help your confidence. After feeling pretty good about my little songs I started with, we've started chords and leaving the safety of middle C, and I'm feeling overwhelmed and unteachable. Going back to those earlier successes will help me remember that 2 months ago I didn't even know what middle C was. :)