✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Atoms For Peace (Thom Yorke+Flea+others)

Dejan

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thom Yorke’s Atoms for Peace taps Soundhalo to let fans download live-tracks during their gig

Hot on the heels of Atoms for Peace announcing it was quitting Spotify because it’s bad for new music, the experimental rock and electronic supergroup is now teaming up with another music platform that will let fans around the world access songs immediately after they’re performed. Soundhalo has previously worked with Alt-J for a Brixton Academy show in London back in May. In a nutshell, Soundhalo’s technology lets fans download videos of the songs directly to their smartphones shortly after. It’s ultimately designed to encourage fans to keep their own usually-amateur recording equipment in their pockets, and steer eyes towards the stage and ensuing live performance. Oh, and make a little bit of money too.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyCyPYm-Idc]Atoms For Peace - Roundhouse (soundhalo) - YouTube[/ame]

http://thenextweb.com/media/2013/07/18/thom-yorkes-atoms-for-peace-partners-with-soundhalo-to-let-fans-download-live-tracks-during-their-gig/

Several interesting things to think about:

1) Will this lead to more bands adopting this service - or something similar - on a more regular basis?

2) Will all music streams start requiring payment and how will it affect scalping? Moreover, how do you stop piracy of these webcasts?

3) Will it lead to more fans stop using their phones to film as they'll now have access to professionally-shot recordings, leading to better crowds/atmosphere?

3) Will it lead to more fans stop using their phones to film as they'll now have access to professionally-shot recordings, leading to better crowds/atmosphere?

Although that would be nice, I have a feeling that won't be the case. Most people in the crowd are filming more for the "look see I was there" aspect of it, as opposed to getting the audio itself per say.

Although that would be nice, I have a feeling that won't be the case. Most people in the crowd are filming more for the "look see I was there" aspect of it, as opposed to getting the audio itself per say.

Then take pictures. Don't film (assuming this streaming thing becomes widely adopted). I mean, how often do you even go back to re-watch your blurry, shaky phone footage? Once or twice?

Shame really. Takes away from the experience.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-PGoiMJE8k]Atoms For Peace - The Clock (soundhalo) - YouTube[/ame]

Would much rather have this after every gig than the blurry footage from camera phones.

Speaking of... you don't see people on their camera phones in the vid!

Btw if you get this, make sure you check out the rendition of Harrowdown Hill. Absolutely bonkers.

Then take pictures. Don't film (assuming this streaming thing becomes widely adopted). I mean, how often do you even go back to re-watch your blurry, shaky phone footage? Once or twice?

Shame really. Takes away from the experience.

Amen.

I bring a point-and-shoot for photos, because fuck phone-quality photos, but the only time I ever film at a gig is if something special is happening (i.e. surprise guest) so I can share it on YouTube. And even then, it certainly isn't pro-shot quality. Otherwise, photos fill my memory bank just fine.

Basically, I freaking love this idea. I know Red Hot Chili Peppers make their audio available, but this is next level. But yeah, it probably still won't stop people from holding their phones above their heads and blocking people's views the whole show unless they do some sort of PSA before the show.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mikey and I got to see them last night at Barclays. We got 3rd row in the pit. Mike got there about 3 to wait in line. They numbered our hands which was a good idea. They were amazing of course, Thom in a great mood and actually giving thumbs up ! I have pics & vids on my phone that I hopefully will upload soon. Thom is a wonder to behold. His voice is perfection . Everyone was dancing. Flea was fab sighhhhh

Yeah, same. And they played relatively close to my place.

But I want a new Radiohead album first.

I actually wouldn't mind if Thom did another AFP album before the next Radiohead one. As long as the RH release is worth the wait of course.

Chicago's setlist:

Before Your Very Eyes...

The Clock

Ingenue

Stuck Together Pieces

Unless

And It Rained All Night

Harrowdown Hill

Dropped

Cymbal Rush

Encore:

Skip Divided

Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses

Rabbit in Your Headlights

Paperbag Writer

Amok

Encore 2:

What the Eyeballs Did (live debut)

Atoms for Peace

Black Swan

A couple of personal surprises: Default is one of my faves on the album, but I did NOT like how it translated live. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of Ingenue or Amok, but both of those were fantastic live.

Highlights: Before Your Very Eyes and Stuck Together Pieces.

I was pleased to see that people taking pics and vids was at a minimum; that's the least I've ever seen. Everybody was just focused on enjoying the show.

Chicago's setlist:

Before Your Very Eyes...

The Clock

Ingenue

Stuck Together Pieces

Unless

And It Rained All Night

Harrowdown Hill

Dropped

Cymbal Rush

Encore:

Skip Divided

Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses

Rabbit in Your Headlights

Paperbag Writer

Amok

Encore 2:

What the Eyeballs Did (live debut)

Atoms for Peace

Black Swan

A couple of personal surprises: Default is one of my faves on the album, but I did NOT like how it translated live. On the other hand, I'm not a fan of Ingenue or Amok, but both of those were fantastic live.

Highlights: Before Your Very Eyes and Stuck Together Pieces.

I was pleased to see that people taking pics and vids was at a minimum; that's the least I've ever seen. Everybody was just focused on enjoying the show.

Oh man, that sounds great. Such a shame I had to miss it. The Clock is such an incredible song live, from what I've heard on YouTube.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We were all set to see them close ACL but festival flooded and Sunday was cancelled. We decided to ride around downtown and wait to see if anyone announced any pop up shows. Franz Ferdinand tweeted they were sorting out playing at the ACL Live venue, so we went there. Staff came out to tell us Franz wasn't playing but someone was, so we hung around. Finally they came out to tell us it was Atoms For Peace and was $10 at the door. Me Mike and Christa all got front row. Thom and Flea wore matching skirts. :lol: Thom also rocked some UT orange hightops.

setlist:

1. Before Your Very Eyes
  2. Default
  3. The Clock
  4. Ingenue
  5. Unless
  6. And It Rained All Night

7. Harrowdown Hill
  8. Dropped
  9. Cymbal Rush

10. Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses
  11. Rabbit in Your Headlights

12. Paperbag Writer
  13. AMOK
  14. Atoms for Peace
  15. Black Swan

video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMiL8oRK5ek&feature=player_embedded]Atoms For Peace Live at ACL Festival Special Show October 13th, 2013 - YouTube[/ame]