✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Roommates

Josh42

Next year I'll be going to University. I don't know a single person who goes to my Uni, so the roommate situation is somewhat difficult. I talked to one guy, and we were thinking about rooming together, but then he told me that he had already promised someone else that he was going to be rooming with him. Most of the potential roommates I've talked to so far seem to be a bit annoying, while some of them are boring. I'm wondering if I should continue my search for a non-annoying roommate who I can be friends with, or just go with a boring/shy roommate who will just stay out of my business and keep quiet.

Share your experiences with roommates. Good, bad and ugly. I want to hear it all. I'm quite frightened of ending up in the same situation as Kiran (her roommate one year reeked apparently)...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i had a roommate who had sex with someone while i was trying to sleep. Still traumatized by that.

And another time she and her friend came back high, at midnight, and talked loudly while stuffing their faces until at least 2 am. And i was trying to study for a couple of tests i was going to take the next morning -.-

i had a roommate who had sex with someone while i was trying to sleep. Still traumatized by that.

And another time she and her friend came back high, at midnight, and talked loudly while stuffing their faces until at least 2 am. And i was trying to study for a couple of tests i was going to take the next morning -.-

Sounds like my friends.

Oh God -_-

Fortunately, I've never had this problem. I still stay at home during my college endeavors, and because I'm the only girl in my family, I've had my own room since I was seven. :blush:

My brother had the same problem you did. Thankfully, things turned out well for him. He likes the guy he's currently rooming with, and the only reason why he's changing roommates next year is because the two of them have found other friends that they want to room with. I can't say that it'll always turn out that way. I've heard my fair share of horrific roommate stories from friends.

I realize I'm not really contributing. I'm sorry. All I can say is go with your gut, and good luck.

:nod: :disappointed:

2 years, man. 2 years. :shifty:

so sorry :blank:

I'd be a terrible roommate because I'm listening to music all the time (don't like earphones) and I go to bed very late so I have the lights on until 2am, plus I hate people who makes noise when I'm sleeping and I can't study during the day so I stay awake at weird hours. :blank:

so sorry :blank:

I'd be a terrible roommate because I'm listening to music all the time (don't like earphones) and I go to bed very late so I have the lights on until 2am, plus I hate people who makes noise when I'm sleeping and I can't study during the day so I stay awake at weird hours. :blank:

Let's become roommates. :|

In my case I simply found a flat and moved in. Was pretty lucky with the roommate the first time round - she's the sweetest and nicest girl who wasn't bothered easily. We got along pretty well. Had to move to another flat next year but things weren't so rosy any more. This roommate was nice to everyone but we just didn't get along (as was the case with the other flatmate).

So um, I can't give you any advice? If I had to choose between someone who's boring and someone else who I don't know at all, I'd rather choose the boring one :p At least you're more likely to have normal living conditions in your room/flat and no wild parties. You can always find other roommates after a certain period of time, I suppose.

Based on my previous experiences, I'd say it's best to not get too attached to the roommates. I hate roommates dramas because no matter how bad it is, you're still stucked with that person in the same room.

Boring/shy ones sound like a better option, as long as they're not too anal with anything.

I've lived with many different people and trust me, while the people who seem more fun are usually fine (Haven't really had any bad experiences) people who are boring upon first impressions are definitely better. I believe that pretty much any person is interesting if you get to know them and give them a chance, and even if they aren't well then they'll just shutup and stay in the corner.

/didntread1stpage

I had two roommates in a small dorm. One was very religious and she asked me daily to do bible study and I always told her 'no' in the nicest way. One time I said "holy shit' and she said "that not only offends me, but it offends God." My other disaster roommate was just plain dirty. One time she left a fish taco out overnight and when I came back from class the whole room stunk, so I threw it out. She gave me shit about it, too! Oh, and she would throw toilet paper with poop on it in the trash can instead of flushing it. That was an awkward conversation.

I have lots of stories. I hope your luck is better than mine. Also, if I may ask where will you be going to school?

I shared a flat with a girl once. We had known each other for a few months before we moved in. At first it was nice, but then she would go home all the time, which isn't that bad, but she and her boyfriend flew to Gran Canaria for vacation on a Tuesday and came back to the flat the next Monday ... completely sunburned. Their skin was peeling off and it was spread all over the flat, even in the kitchen, yummy. Instead of cleaning though (she MUST have noticed that mess), she went home again, leaving me with a flat full of dead skin. I still had to spend the rest of the week in the flat, so I cleaned it all.

She also turned off the fridge during the semester break once ... forgetting that she still had some fish sticks in the freezer. I came back after a few weeks and wondered what that smell could be. Luckily I had my mother with me who got rid of the "fish sticks", I couldn't do it, I was too busy standing at the window, grasping air and trying my hardest not to throw up.

It's not really that usual to share a room with a person here, I couldn't do it at all, I need at least a room just for me.

At the moment I'm sharing the flat with a French guy and he is rather nice and we didn't have any problems so far. It often just comes down to luck, I guess.

She also turned off the fridge during the semester break once ... forgetting that she still had some fish sticks in the freezer. I came back after a few weeks and wondered what that smell could be. Luckily I had my mother with me who got rid of the "fish sticks", I couldn't do it, I was too busy standing at the window, grasping air and trying my hardest not to throw up.

Someone did that to our fridge (before we moved in) and it smells of rotten meet and you just can't get rid off the smell. We told our landlord several times but he says he can't smell it so we haven't had a fridge all year.

As for roommates, I've never shared a room with anyone but I've shared flats with loads of people. Most of them were alright. I made some really good friends and I generally found it quite easy to avoid the people I didn't get on with particularly well.

However, I had a massive argument with a girl when I was in second year. We had a joint tenancy agreement, which means everyone's responsible for the whole of the rent, as opposed to their share. Her sister never moved in because she didn't get the grades to do a masters so we had a spare room, which wouldn't be an issue. However, both the girl and her sister promised us to look for a replacement tenant and to pay the rent till the person moves in but they never did. We started looking for a replacement tenant ourselves after we received a letter saying the landlord would take us to court if we don't pay the extra rent. The new girl moved in shortly after we received the letter and my housemate decided to move out herself without telling us! She told us she'd be moving out the next day because 'a family member wasn't well'. She did find a replacement tenant but her sister's rent STILL wasn't paid and there was no way to contact her. However, the bills were in her name and my housemate never paid his share because he thought it was only fair as he had to pay her sister's rent [which was far more than the bills].

This resulted in her and her dad coming to our house the day after my housemate moved out [which she knew because he stupidly announced it on Facebook] to pick up the sky box and the wireless LAN thingy at like 9 in the morning. They woke me up and I made a big mistake and let them in although I had paid the bills. However, I had a go at her and told her how unfair the whole rent thing was and basically told her to fuck off in front of her dad. I'm actually quiet a shy person but this was going on all year so I was extremely angry. I was proper shocked after I realised what I had done. Anyway her dad tried to calm me down and told me that the girl's sister wasn't working, which I knew wasn't true so I called him a liar and we all just ended up swearing at each other.

I bumped into her in a newsagent in town a few months later and she left immediately and pretended she didn't see me, which is weird because she always came across as a very confident person.

I bumped into her in a newsagent in town a few months later and she left immediately and pretended she didn't see me, which is weird because she always came across as a very confident person.

She obviously had a guilty conscience. Quite right too!:dozey:

She obviously had a guilty conscience. Quite right too!:dozey:

True! Still I'm surprised because she was SO arrogant when she came to our house.

She also threatened to take my housemate to court because he owed her like £100 or something as he didn't pay the bills.

So glad I no longer have to deal with those people.