✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[16-Sept-2011] Coldplay @ Austin City Limits Festival, Zilker Park, Austin, Texas

jenflor

ACL Day 1, Friday, was the day I’ve been looking forward to for months now, ever since we found out that Coldplay would be a Friday night headliner. I didn’t know how I was gonna do it, but I knew I wanted to be as up close as I could, to really experience what it’s like to see your favorite band at a festival with tens of thousands of other people.

Lauren and Dianne made it to the park early enough to be the first people in line to get in, and they were kind enough to hold a spot for me. By the time I made it down to the park by around 10:50, there was a sizable crowd waiting for the gates to open. For the first time in my limited ACL experience, I got to hear the epic Star Wars theme blast over the speakers as they opened the gates. About 10 minutes later, I was walking through a nearly empty field toward the AMD stage, where Coldplay would play later that night. I walked right up to Dianne and Lauren, who had already secured our spots, and took my place against the barrier, dead center. Though it meant I would miss out on some bands I was interested in seeing, especially Theophilis London, Foster the People and Cults, I was determined to keep that spot until Coldplay left the stage. We watched performances by Asleep at the Wheel, Brandi Carlile, Ray LaMontagne (love!), and Bright Eyes while waiting for our boys. Amanda made it up to us in time for Brandi Carlile, and we also got to say hi to Rene (Coldplayer11) and Susan (Coldplayloveintx) during the course of the day, so that was cool, too!

After Bright Eyes began the longest hour of my life. The heat from the crowd was getting to me, I was tired from standing, and I was beginning to wonder if I was going to have to pee again. All of that flew out the window when Jay-Z’s 99 Problems came on. The crowd started dancing and shouting and we knew Coldplay was just minutes away. We saw some familiar roadies up on stage, and waved and screamed when Miller came to take a picture of the crowd from Chris’ mic stand. Finally, the stage went dark and the strains of the Back to the Future theme began. We saw the boys walk out and take their spots (all the while screaming like banshees, of course), and when Chris began the MX trills on the piano, I nearly burst with excitement. From that moment on, it was pure adrenaline and joy. Hurts Like Heaven is an absolutely fantastic opener. Even though no one but the die hards know it yet, the crowd were swept up in it and the guys sounded great. It was beyond amazing to be able to look up at them and be close enough to see their facial expressions. A couple of times, Chris stuck his tongue out at the photographers who were amassed below.

The show progressed quickly for me, and I tried to limit my picture and video-taking so I could really enjoy it and take it in. I'll post the pics and videos I did take soon. When Chris jumped off the stage during Fix You I was tempted to jump the barrier. :wink: The cameras didn't follow him, so we had no idea what he was doing back there, but it was nice watching Jonny, Guy and Will sing and play their hearts out. When he finally made it back to the stage, he sat at the piano and realized he didn't have a mic, so he gestured to a roadie who ran one out to him. I completely forgot that as he was playing the ending chords of the song he let himself fall off his stool and just lie there a minute. It took him a bit even into ETIAW to catch his breath from that run!

It was, without a doubt, my best concert experience ever. There is absolutely nothing like being front row center for a band you love, surrounded by people who are just as crazy for them as you are. We screamed, sang and jumped, jumped, jumped the whole time. So, so much fun, and from where I stood, it seemed like the guys were having a great time and that the crowd was loving it. Highlights of their set for me (in a set full of awesomeness) were God Put a Smile Upon Your Face, which just flat out ROCKS live, Politik, and Charlie Brown. I also really, really love Paradise live. I don’t see how you can hear that song live and not be moved to sing and dance along. And Every Tear Drop is a Waterfall is the most perfect closer ever. EVERYONE was dancing and singing for that one. All of it was just so fantastic. My only complaint about the set was that I didn't get to hear Shiver live and I've been waiting for it all summer, hoping it would remain in the setlist. :( Also, I realized I have a very crappy camera. But, all in all, it was the absolute best way to end an incredible day 1 at ACL Fest.

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay.jpg

Your Belated ACL Recap: I Skipped Kanye West to See Coldplay

Before you undoubtedly burn me at the stake, challenge my manhood and dismiss me as a tasteless moron, hear me out. Let me start by saying there is nothing wrong with liking Coldplay. Okay, now, take a deep breath and read the rest before writing your hate mail.

I realize Coldplay isn’t the coolest band in the world, and their music is (scoff) catchy but sometimes forgettable. However when did it become a sin to know the lyrics to “Yellow?” Their music isn’t offensive to the ears, like Nickelback or Creed, nor are they controversial or overly political. Coldplay’s two biggest knocks are the fact that they’re (gasp) radio friendly and Chris Martin is married to Gwyneth Paltrow (legitimate gripe). There is nothing to vehemently hate.

If the worst thing you can say about the band is that your girlfriend likes them and you think they lack substance, neither reason makes them god-awful. Liking Coldplay similar to admitting you enjoy the occasional chick flick — which I do — fucking sue me.

Going into this year’s version of Austin City Limits the biggest news was the fact Kanye West would be the first hip hop headliner in the the festival’s history. It surprised many that the 10th anniversary of the popular festival would feature someone so far from it’s typical aesthetic. Some concertgoers even wore “Fuck Kanye” t-shirts.

I was not amongst this contingent; in fact I’m a huge Kanye fan. I still vividly remember buying “The College Dropout” the Tuesday it came out. It was during the basketball season of my junior year in high school and I bought it from Sam Goody. I’ve loved every other album since, and agree with the incredibly high praise he earned for “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.”

I knew Kanye’s set had the distinct possibility of being incredibly star-studded. Bon Iver’s lead singer and ‘Ye collaborator, Justin Vernon, was rumored to make an appearance. Jay-Z, who has been attached to Kanye’s hip for the entire summer, was also a candidate for a guest spot. (Many forget that Chris Martin was to Jay-Z as Justin Vernon currently is to Kanye, which kinda makes Martin (double gasp) cool circa 2009.)

I knew Kanye’s set would provide unparalleled pageantry and a bass that thumped so loud my balls would tingle. Knowing all of this — the fact that I might be passing up the rap concert of a lifetime — I willfully and unregrettably chose to see Coldplay over Kanye.

The following two hours were a nostalgic trip through my adolescence. “Parachutes” came out when I was going into 8th grade. I remember watching the “Yellow” music video on MTV, when it was still showing music videos. I remember putting “Clocks” on one of my first burnt cds, along with “Still Not a Playa” by Big Pun and “Numba One Stunna” by Big Tymers.

As you can probably tell, my alternative musical tastes never quite reached my palate until late in my college years. So quite frankly Coldplay was a blast, full of memories of being awkwardly too skinny and still listening music countdowns on the radio. Yea, I was so mainstream.

I’ve never understood the need to feel “musically challenged” during a festival concert. After a day full of too many 24 ounce Budweiser’s and Tex-Mex, listening to something agreeable, upbeat and fun seemed perfect after a day of enduring temperatures nearing 100 degrees.

After a couple years out of the limelight it was good to see that Chris Martin’s band could still put on a genuinely exciting set. As for the lead singer himself, he was simultaneously charming and corny, but most of all he seemed authentically happy to be there and appreciative of the throngs of people who chose the British band over the rap superstar.

This was the first time I ever saw Coldplay live. They will be coming out with a new record near the end of next month. I have no plans on purchasing the album, but it doesn’t mean I won’t sneak a listen when my mom inevitably buys it. Because while Coldplay certainly isn’t the coolest band around, they aren’t even close to the most insufferable either. In fact, last Friday night they might even have been considered memorable.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/143715/your-belated-acl-recap-i-skipped-kanye-west-to-see-coldplay/

^haha... what a *ringing* endorsement. :lol: I love how writers can never just come out and say they like Coldplay. They have to attach all sorts of caveats. Anyway, glad he enjoyed the show!

I agree...too funny. We know we enjoyed the show and aren't afraid to admit it!

Does anyone know the name of the track played before 99 Problems? That was the first time they had two intro songs (maybe it was ACL) but I really liked the song and it was perfect for coldplay

Someone asked this a week or so ago, was it you? I made a point if listening to it to see if I knew who it was, but I don't. Maybe the Oracle would know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone asked this a week or so ago, was it you? I made a point if listening to it to see if I knew who it was, but I don't. Maybe the Oracle would know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope first time im asking. Is there a video or something with the song?

6qz7kp.jpg

Austin City Limits Festival itself was a madhouse! First time ever being at such a festival of that size. To get a decent view of Coldplay, it basically served you well to stay at that stage all day. In any event, I took a friend along with me. She even commented it was good to see a band interact and give so much of their passion performing for the crowd. She enjoyed it, and she's not even a Coldplay zealot like myself.

Chris even got points for his jabs at Kanye West during his set. Still don't know why they put Kanye up against Coldplay. Confused. The best one was during "Everything's Not Lost" when he said something like, "she wants to see Coldplay, and the boys want to see Kanye." Hilarious!

I cried during the encore. They set it up perfect for me. The "last" song was "Paradise." After that, was the encore of "Clocks" and "Fix You." How much of a rollercoaster is that people?! And much respect to Chris for singing Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" chorus before "Fix You." I thought that was very touching. That's twice in my life to see Coldplay! Can't wait to see them again!

My formal review-

Arrived around 5pm with Angie and got an okay spot behind the mix tent due to all of the railing being occupied. Got to see a little of the behind scenes stuff like roadies (mindlessly) blowing up the balloons, fog machines tested cameras set up etc. That was cool. We hung out there till coldplay came on a couple hours later. The intro tracks played and people started getting excited for the band. MX played and the crowd really didn't seem to get into it at all. Chris started Yellow and some life came out of the crowd but still lacking that awesome energy I saw at other shows. There was little singing and dancing after the first 20 seconds of the song. I was expecting that to change once God Put A Smile was played but not much changed. It seemed like that for the rest of the show until Viva when the crowd went bonkers. Charlie Brown got everyone going a bit but I still felt I was at a tv performance where people are there just to be there and not to see one of their favorite bands. Even in Chicago, you could clearly here the crowd singing a long to Everythings Not Lost, The Scientist and Even Parts of ETIAW but at least from where we were standing, the energy just wasn't there. Just people carrying on conversation and debating on going to Kanye. Still a great show though for me even though it was awkward getting into the music and stuff with a sea of zombies standing around me

My formal review-

Arrived around 5pm with Angie and got an okay spot behind the mix tent due to all of the railing being occupied. Got to see a little of the behind scenes stuff like roadies (mindlessly) blowing up the balloons, fog machines tested cameras set up etc. That was cool. We hung out there till coldplay came on a couple hours later. The intro tracks played and people started getting excited for the band. MX played and the crowd really didn't seem to get into it at all. Chris started Yellow and some life came out of the crowd but still lacking that awesome energy I saw at other shows. There was little singing and dancing after the first 20 seconds of the song. I was expecting that to change once God Put A Smile was played but not much changed. It seemed like that for the rest of the show until Viva when the crowd went bonkers. Charlie Brown got everyone going a bit but I still felt I was at a tv performance where people are there just to be there and not to see one of their favorite bands. Even in Chicago, you could clearly here the crowd singing a long to Everythings Not Lost, The Scientist and Even Parts of ETIAW but at least from where we were standing, the energy just wasn't there. Just people carrying on conversation and debating on going to Kanye. Still a great show though for me even though it was awkward getting into the music and stuff with a sea of zombies standing around me

That's a bummer about the crowd where you were. In the front, everyone was insane, in a good way :) The crowd at UCLA where I was sitting sucked. The people behind us just chatted the whole night, I don't even think they watched any of the show, between their hotdogs and margaritas. This is why ACL was so amazing for me because I think being part of a great crowd makes a big difference. Even at the ACL taping, though, the crowd around us in the balcony sat the whole show until Viva. Lauren, Jen, Jess and I were the only ones in our section standing the whole time, but the crowd on the floor looked awesome.

That's a bummer about the crowd where you were. In the front, everyone was insane, in a good way :) The crowd at UCLA where I was sitting sucked. The people behind us just chatted the whole night, I don't even think they watched any of the show, between their hotdogs and margaritas. This is why ACL was so amazing for me because I think being part of a great crowd makes a big difference. Even at the ACL taping, though, the crowd around us in the balcony sat the whole show until Viva. Lauren, Jen, Jess and I were the only ones in our section standing the whole time, but the crowd on the floor looked awesome.

Yup, it was pretty fun down there. I was front row on the left just past Johnny with Angie. I was completely dumbfounded when I saw people sitting up top when MX was played. I made hand gestures and everything. Then I realized I was on a tv show and probably going to look like an idiot now! :P

EDIT: I do have to say the crowd sounded a lot better now that I have it downloaded and listened to.

I know this question is not supposed to be in this thread but I had no idea where else to post,

I wanted to know how much (estimated) would it cost to bring Coldplay to Egypt. I am an event organizer in Egypt and I also happen to be a huge fan of the guys. I have successfully approached sponsors who are more than willing to participate in the event. Io just want to get an estimate of how much it might cost to see if will be feasible.

Please Reply

Thank You

• 8 years later...