✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[16-Sept-2011] Coldplay @ Austin City Limits Festival, Zilker Park, Austin, Texas

jenflor

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Para...para...paradise....ohohohohoh!

Anyway. I love it ALOT. And I love how Coldplay lyrics within an album are interconnected to the other songs: they remain true to their "theme". In this song he says, "...every tear a waterfall." Love the lyrics. Reminds me of my sweet daughter, and how she views the world.

Edit: Another tear-jerker for me. Coldplay does it everytime.

Can anybody who was at the taped show tell me about the time travel thing I read about? Was it sort of like acting or what. I'm very curious about it.:)
the show was taped as the new years eve special. So we all pretended it was new years eve and had a count down to midnight. So we all "time traveled " to December 31st. Only Chris kept forgetting and talked about the heat. Oops! :lol:

Edit: please don't still be 100+ degrees every day at Christmas! :bigcry:

Oh crap, I completely forgot that they didn't play Shiver! Now I'm sad. :(

But it was a really great performance, they always sound so good live. My friends and I were able to get decently close seeing how late we actually headed over to the stage. We were perhaps a good 20 rows in front of the sound tower, so maybe halfway between the tower and stage? I dunno, I'm bad at estimating that kind of thing. Anyways it was a lovely performance, I enjoyed it a lot. Always great to see them live. One of my friends who was with me said it was amazing and the second best concert of her life (after Bon Jovi, who I think is her very favorite musician), so that's a pretty big complement. She wasn't even all that familiar with a lot of the songs, so that's pretty cool.

Wish I could have been there! :( ....it sounded really good, but my stupid computer kept buffering the live feed so I definately had some gaps of nothing during songs! "Fix You" was great, made me cry(like it does everytime I hear it!) Politik is still a rocking concert song! I thought Paradise sounded pretty good. ...I just hope they announce a North American tour soon. I saw them on the Viva tour, I'm more than ready to see them again. :)

IMG_0810_t290.JPG

ACL Diary: Coldplay rocks festival's opening day

After a two-hour wait, Coldplay started. The Brit-pop sensation pleased the crowd with a few familiar favorites — "Yellow" comes to mind, with the stage bathed in yellow light — before teasing it with a few songs from the group's upcoming album. But whether it was playing an old song or a new song, Coldplay kept the crowd engaged in the show with call-and-response strains, a captivating light display and an entrancing stage setup featuring a huge screen behind the band.

Finally, I decided to head out of the crowd a little early to catch the end of Kanye's set. Because there were so many people packed up to the stage, I still heard Coldplay's next big hit, "Charlie Brown," a song with a very full sound and an extremely catchy hook.

I stayed near the back of the crowd, having just worked my way out of a big one at the opposite end of the park, and enjoyed a few of the self-assured rap artist's big hits including "Run This Town," "Gold Digger," "All of the Lights" and "Stronger." Near the end of the set, Kanye played a very drawn out version of "Runaway" that by the end felt more like a church altar call than a show as the rapper thanked everyone he could think of and took advantage of having the crowd's full attention.

After everything, though, the highlight of Day 1 for me was Coldplay. The band's big-hit songs — "The Scientist," "Viva la Vida," "Lost!" and "Violet Hill" — evoked memories of life from when I listened to the whole "Viva la Vida" album non-stop for a few weeks in 2008 or when I first heard the band sitting in a movie theater watching the music video for "Speed of Sound." And regardless of whether it's genuine, Chris Martin and Co. portray a strong connection and high level of care for their fanbase, which always makes for a more intimate show.

http://www.oudaily.com/news/2011/sep/17/acl-diary-coldplay-rocks-festivals-opening-day/

coldplay-group-thumb-500x312-thumb-500x312.jpg

Last Night at ACL: Coldplay Plays All the Hits and The Others, Too.

Coldplay

AMD Stage -- Austin City Limits

September 16, 2011

Better than: waiting for Coldplay to release a Greatest Hits album.

It would be a pretty hipster thing to say that the Coldplay show at Austin City Limits Music Festival on Friday was cheesy and overly sincere. But you won't actually hear that. Because all the hipsters were on the other end of the Zilker Park with Kanye West.

Sure, Coldplay's music expertly draws out the emotional side of college co-eds, but, aside from popular hipster belief, there is more to the band than aiming to pull at the heartstrings of fans. Nonetheless, their 2011 ACL performance, rather than featuring cuts from their forthcoming record, Mylo Xyloto, found the band pandering to the crowd. They played material from four different albums over the course of their first five songs.

The whole show was very much a greatest hits performance.

You've got to believe that they're tired of playing some of the old songs, though. You could hear that much, actually, in the changed arrangements and the improvised lyrics on more than a few songs -- like in "God Put A Smile On My Face," when Chris Martin sang "make some noise if you're having a good time."

The crowd roared in return, as if following some unwritten concert etiquette that says when the lead singer says anything, you cheer, no questions asked. But Martin and Company knew what they were doing. This was a crowd that needed help. It was only capable of focusing on the band when they were playing one of their huge past hits. So, that's what the band focused on.

Every once in a while they'd play some songs from the new record, but they were hard to hear for all the chatter in the crowd. So, Coldplay kept it simple and stuck with the singles.

"Yellow," surprisingly, was the second song of the night. Soon after came "Lost" from Viva La Vida, and then "The Scientist."

In addition to playing choice selections from a huge stable of hits, the band used some tricks that they've clearly picked up along the way. One of Coldplay's early influences was The Flaming Lips and in a very Lips like fashion, they dropped hundreds of balloons into the crowd a few songs in.

Later, during the encore on "Fix You," which Martin introduced with a modified version of Amy Winehouse's "Rehab," Martin took a note from Bono and ran through the divider in the center of the crowd and climbed the scaffolding at the sound booth.

But all of the energy was overshadowed by the fact that Coldplay has been reduced to the role of a babysitter, working tirelessly to maintain the crowd's fleeting attention. Nevermind that Coldplay has a new record coming out and that a massive festival might be a good time to test out some of the new songs. "Clocks" is all this crowd cared to hear, and Coldplay was happy to play it.

But that wasn't the highlight of the set. That came with "Viva La Vida," a triumphant success thanks to the crowd's singing and dancing.

The band still has something. Their cinematic songs connect with huge audiences.

Sound like a certain Canadian band you might know?

Critics Notebook

Personal Bias: Coldplay started to lose me at their second album, completely lost me at their third, then perked my ears up again on their Brian Eno produced fourth record. It will be interesting to hear what this new one sounds like.

Random Note: Kanye's bass could be heard during the mellow lulls in Coldplay's set.

Random Note #2: Never seen so many people making out at a concert before

By The Way: Martin acknowledged Coldplay's core audience with this improvised lyric on "Everything's Not Lost": "You can feel it in your chest, when your girlfriend wants to watch Coldplay, and all the boys want to watch Kanye West."

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2011/09/last_night_at_acl_coldplay_pla.php

I'm very very very annoyed right now, YouTube is broadcasting the festival and I missed two of my favourite artists last night, Pretty Lights & Coldplay. Foster The People would've been good to watch too, can somebody please get me a time machine for christmas?

I'm very very very annoyed right now, YouTube is broadcasting the festival and I missed two of my favourite artists last night, Pretty Lights & Coldplay. Foster The People would've been good to watch too, can somebody please get me a time machine for christmas?

FTP were great. Sorry you missed them.

*searches for the Tardis*

What does it mean in the review of the concert that Coldplay was reduced to a babysitter??

Well remember how it is when ya babysit kids??? You have to constantly amuse them, keep them interested in stuff, try not to let the kids get board, keeping it fun...

Well the article was trying to say Coldplay were reduced to babysitting, doing what they could to keep the crowd entertained.