✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I think we can safely say now.

Guest Osaka Sun

Guest Osaka Sun

...that all the bad vibes with LP5 stemming from ETIAW can be deemed invalid.

It took one listen to Cartoon Heart, Major Minus (:o), Us Against the World, and Hurts Like Heaven for me to go crazy over this. Even Teardrop doesn't sound that bad live.

Also, Brian Eno is an ambient sex god. Just saying. :P

Guest Osaka Sun

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8lLw03ygas]YouTube - ‪Coldplay - Major Minus 2011‬‏[/ame]

Just listening to that guitar simply voids ETIAW's existence. Well, to me anyway. :)

Guest Osaka Sun
The only thing that would void WAWAWATER's existence would be it's non-existance on LP5.

Start a petition? ;)

I listened to one or two new songs recently, the sound quality was too poor to judge (Not Coldplay, simply the sound recording on phone/camera), Major Minus had perfect sound quality, and while it's a lot better then the single, the song is very weak. The verse is amateur songwriting, I thought initially the actually chorus was a pre-chorus and that this pre-chorus would build to something better, then I realised it was the actual chorus after it ended, was that it?

So if that is the bookmark of brilliance out of the new songs then I don't see how the case is closed that the new album can wipe the single out, of course I didn't expect it to be as bad as the single because that is one of the worst songs I've ever heard, it's difficult to create a song which is actually repulsive and offensive to my ears, so it would be impossible to make a full album of songs which are that shit.

Guest howyousawtheworld
The song is very weak

LOL I doubt that's the case for most who have heard it

Back on topic at least three of the songs performed already sound better than anything from Viva La Vida did (Major Minus, Us Against The World and Charlie Brown) which is a good sign for the studio versions but there's still a possibility it could be buggered up in the mixing studio so we can't make judgement yet.

I agree. Even though I am definitely not a ETIAW hater I must admit the other songs sound much better, and that I'm happy they haven't all taken the same direction. Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven and Major Minus are mind-blowing :cool:

LOL I doubt that's the case for most who have heard it

Back on topic at least three of the songs performed already sound better than anything from Viva La Vida did (Major Minus, Us Against The World and Charlie Brown) which is a good sign for the studio versions but there's still a possibility it could be buggered up in the mixing studio so we can't make judgement yet.

uh no it IS weak, get over your coldplay lemming syndrome

Guest Osaka Sun

Major Minus is awesome.

If you're referring to ETIAW, that's a different story altogether.

I'm going to have to step in and counter this constant refrain of these songs are better than Viva's songs - r u kidding me, practically every song on Viva was unique and high quality.

Life in Technicolor i and ii - brilliant, great sample, great instrumentation, and beautiful melodies.

CofL - sinister opening, and then kicks into a great atmospheric rock song (totally Sherlock Holmes vibe, I'm talking about Robert Downey's Sherlock)

Lost! - awesome rhythm section, and great chord progression and chorus

42 - has to be one of my favorite songs - obvious homage to A day in the life song structure, but coldplay's take on it, love the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy reference, and awesome middle

Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love - a great combo, i mean the opening is so Enoesque, and the marchlike rhythm in lovers in japan is a testament to Will owning the album, and again great vocal melody. Then one of the most underrated tracks - RofL - beautiful, vintage Coldplay (supposedly they have a 20 minute cut of this song, it could go on forever and i wouldn't mind).

Yes/Chinese Sleep Chant - Coldplay evolving, middle eastern vibe, and Chris using a lower voice register, then paying homage to shoegazing band w/ the wall of guitar sound in Chinese Sleep Chant -

Viva - don't have to go into how brilliant this song is

Violet Hill - at first, i was like what, but it is a great song in its imagery, tone, and killer guitar by Jonny, then a beautiful ending w/ Chris on piano

Strawberry Swing - simply sublime, guitar lick, claps, and the middle rhythm guitar, and vocal melody

Death and All his friends - another underrated track - how beautiful this song is w/ it's quiet intro and duet between piano and guitar and then just launching into a euphoric middle and end.

Don't get me started on Prospekt's March - another brilliant album and w/ many unique tracks

Glass of Water is an absolute favorite.

The Viva era was probably one of Coldplay's best creative output, and I think will be hard for them to match.

I didn't know about Every Teardrop, at first, but I really like it, and it's infectious and totally Coldplay. I think what happens on these boards sometimes, every one jumps on this bandwagon or same think about how crap a song is, but then a year later everyone is liking that song which was actually pretty good. ETIAW is a great song, and i hope it's on the album, as for the other tracks heard from the concert, not sure how unique they are - like some of them, but i feel like the songs are not as unique or intriguing as the Viva era so far.

We'll have to wait and hear the studio versions to get a better idea. But you gotta love a band like coldplay who consistently bring great music on each album.

Viva la Vida!

(and I hope to god the new album title is not Major Minus, bad title).

Reign of Love = ROFL :awesome:

Oh yeah, and I agree almost 100% with the above poster. :smug: However, I feel that the new tracks are quite good, especially Charlie Brown. I'm most excited to hear Princess of China though...from what (little) we can hear from the videos, it sounds like it could have been on Viva. :o

Oh yeah, and I agree almost 100% with the above poster. :smug: However, I feel that the new tracks are quite good, especially Charlie Brown. I'm most excited to hear Princess of China though...from what (little) we can hear from the videos, it sounds like it could have been on Viva. :o

Same here - I also agree with almost 100% of what bdevil86 wrote - 100% as to what he wrote about the VIVA ERA and I agree 100% with the poster I quoted.

I like all the new Coldplay songs including the new single (melody and lyrics together), even though I must admit that I would not have given it as high a rank as I did in my initial enthusiasm of hearing a new Coldplay song (melody and text) - now I would rank it 7 or8. And I must admit that I liked the piano cover version of the new single posted in a thread here just as much, maybe even better than the new single.

I look very much forward to hearing Princess of China in good quality. I liked what I could hear of it in that video, but would like to hear it in good quality before I pass judgement on that song. But my initial reaction was very positive.