Find results in...
✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Lyrics

Marcoldplayer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted them in the other thread "Major Minus".

Here they are (still under construction, some minor parts are missing, and also the falsetto part near the end):

You got one eye on what you knew

and one eye on what you do

so be careful (?) talking to

so be careful what it is you're trying to do

So be careful (...?)

So be careful when you're walking (...?)

Ooh-oooh-oooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh-ooh

Got one eye on the road and one on you

Ooh-oooh-oooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh-ooh

so be careful 'cause (...?) is true

(...?) Don't believe a word

it's just us against the world

and we just gotta turn (...?)

I hear those crocodiles ticking 'round the world

I hear those crocodiles ticking (you go) ticking 'round the world

Ooh-oooh-oooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh-ooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh-ooh

Got one eye on the road and (...?)

(...?)

Ooh-oooh-oooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh-ooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh-ooh

Here's my interpretation:

You got one eye watching you

and one eye what to do?

so be careful who is it you're talking to

and one eye what to do?

so be careful what it is you're trying to do

And be careful who it is (?)

And be careful when you're walking into view

Ooh-oooh-oooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh-ooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh-ooh

And one eye what to do?

so be careful 'cause my friend, this is true

Ba-ba-ba-da don't believe a word

it's just us against the world

and we just gotta turn into the (?)

I hear those crocodiles ticking 'round the world

I hear those crocodiles ticking, you go ticking 'round the world

Ooh-oooh-oooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh-ooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh-ooh

Got one eye on the road and hey!

(?)

(?)

Ooh-oooh-oooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh-ooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh

Ooh-oooh-oooh-ooh

I think it's actually "I hear those clock and dials ticking round the world" instead of "crocodiles". It would make more sense. :thinking:

That might be it lol, I also thought it was weird and made no sense at all, but that's what I really heard and I couldn't think of anything else. Besides, it was cool no matter what.:P

Crocodiles does make sense, it's a reference to Peter Pan. In the story, Captain Hook is followed by a crocodile that wants to eat him. This croc previously swallowed a clock, so Hook can tell by the ticking when it's near. :)

Crocodiles does make sense, it's a reference to Peter Pan. In the story, Captain Hook is followed by a crocodile that wants to eat him. This croc previously swallowed a clock, so Hook can tell by the ticking when it's near. :)

Damn, if that's true, I love this song even more. :D

That is quite smart :smartass2:

So if it has something to do with Peter Pan then I still have no idea why it would be called Major Minus. :thinking:

Even if it has nothing to do with Peter Pan I have no idea why it's called Major Minus... :inquisitive:

:lol: I mentioned this exact same thing in another thread, but I couldn't think as to why Coldplay would be referencing Peter Pan :P

Yeah, of course, you are right about the "watching you" part.

Thanks for the additions, those are parts I totally wasn't sure of.

Happy to help! :)

I don't think it's "You got one eye watching you" That doesn't make sense. Its got to be I, they, or we...not you

I think it makes sense :thinking: The narrator is telling the other person that they've got someone watching them.

--

I also have an idea about the crocodile reference (if Chris actually does say crocodiles instead of clocks and dials, which would make sense also)

When Captain Hook heard the ticking of the crocodile, he would always try to get away because he knew the crocodile was coming back for him and would ignore everyone else. In a sense, he knew how/why and, to an extent, when, he was going to die/be eaten. Maybe the narrator in MM is experiencing the same thing--they sort of know how/when/etc. they might die and it's a Major Minus for them (wouldn't that be depressing to know when you were going to die? :uhoh:)

Maybe the narrator also knows that this other person (the one he is keeping "one eye on") will have a hand in it somehow--i.e. because of a grudge or perhaps they will break his heart and the narrator will commit suicide, a la Romeo and Juliet.

So maybe the narrator is trying to prevent his death (or, now that I think about it, he could also be referencing the other person's death, or the fact that their relationship is going to end in a bad way) and he's trying to keep an eye on him so he might be able to stop the chain of events that will lead up to it.

EDIT: That would also fit with LP5's theme of love, OCD, addiction and escape--as in he's trying to escape/prevent his fate (dying)

--

I kinda forgot where I was going with this :sweatdrop: but that's the gist of it.

Oh, and dang. Long post :freak:

I could see Coldplay referencing that particular aspect of Peter Pan, in the sense that Kansas explained: The crocodiles ticking are a metaphor for imminent danger, something to get away from. Thats how I see it anyway... :)

I think it's actually "I hear those clock and dials ticking round the world" instead of "crocodiles". It would make more sense. :thinking:

Wow, until this moment I really hated that lyric, if that's what it actually is, and was going to say I hoped the first person I quoted was right, but now that I see it actually references something, I think I have more appreciation for it.

Wow, ColdplayingfromKansas, that's one heck of an interpretation! Which I agree with. I do think he's saying crocodile and not clocks - his pronunciation makes it sound much more like "croc" instead of "clock"... But who knows? It couldn't be much else in any case.

After your explanation I feel like a bit of a dunce saying this, but here goes anyway... Mainly keeping in mind the fact that Chris is a father, to me the inspiration for apparently the majority of lyrics to this song are from that point of view: a father talking to his growing children, telling them that they should be careful, but also that the father will be there watching them, trying to keep them safe.

This idea doesn't necessarily explain all the lyrics. And it doesn't necessarily go with the themes of OCD, addiction, and escape - but it does fit pretty well with love I think :)

I'm not saying that's the "story" this song is telling. It just seems to me that that's the sort of thing that a parent could tell his children... And thus be the inspiration to a songwriter for a song.

I could go on, but I feel like I've been enough of a dunce for tonight :)

In any case, it's a great song, and having listened to it at least half a dozen times I can't get the "Oooh oooh ooooh" bits out of my head (which isn't necessarily a bad thing ;) )

Wow, ColdplayingfromKansas, that's one heck of an interpretation! Which I agree with. I do think he's saying crocodile and not clocks - his pronunciation makes it sound much more like "croc" instead of "clock"... But who knows? It couldn't be much else in any case.

After your explanation I feel like a bit of a dunce saying this, but here goes anyway... Mainly keeping in mind the fact that Chris is a father, to me the inspiration for apparently the majority of lyrics to this song are from that point of view: a father talking to his growing children, telling them that they should be careful, but also that the father will be there watching them, trying to keep them safe.

This idea doesn't necessarily explain all the lyrics. And it doesn't necessarily go with the themes of OCD, addiction, and escape - but it does fit pretty well with love I think :)

I'm not saying that's the "story" this song is telling. It just seems to me that that's the sort of thing that a parent could tell his children... And thus be the inspiration to a songwriter for a song.

I could go on, but I feel like I've been enough of a dunce for tonight :)

In any case, it's a great song, and having listened to it at least half a dozen times I can't get the "Oooh oooh ooooh" bits out of my head (which isn't necessarily a bad thing ;) )

I actually quite like your interpretation, too! You're not a dunce (but now I feel that I may be over-thinking MM now :P )

Maybe it's a bit of both our interpretations? :thinking: