🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Travelling alone

Lore

Hi everyone :cheesy:

So... after months of thinking about it, tomorrow I'm paying for a flight to the other side of the world (NY, next winter), it's the first time I'll go that far and I'll go by myself. Of course I'll meet some friends there but basically I'll be travelling alone for almost half of the time.

I wonder if any of you has done something like this before (I'm sure many of you travel a lot) and I want to hear some experiences about it :wacky: tips, etc.

Infortainment

Um, bring some thermal underwear, it's going to be cold there!:laugh3: You'll do fine Lore, just the running around connecting to flights in airports can be a bit of a leg race, and I'm sure if you've flown in and out of airports in Chile, you're probably accustomed to some of the most powerful turbulence in flight already, the air rising off the Alleghenies and Adirondacks will feel like gentle swells beneath the aircraft. Also, the smaller jets really have one helluva takeoff acceleration, if you haven't already experienced flying in one.

And ear muffs (fuzzy ones):earmuffs:, or a really cool hat:santa:, aaand warm socks:socks:, and gloves.

Also, last time I flew, the food was like something out of a vending machine, only they used a shrink ray on it first, and it came wrapped in shiny plastic foil. I don't know if you can carry on salted nuts or something to munch on anymore, as long as it complies with the new strict guidelines.. or just live with the airline food - hey, I know, go luxury class in a Jumbo Jet, then you'll be set!:wink:

I'm speaking on behalf of all the things I've read and saw on TV XD

Always, always know where you are :laugh3: have fun and enjoy the trip cause it's not about the destination but how you get there! Take pictures, keep in contact with your family and destination friends, and this is because I'm an airplane nut, ask to sit in the cockpit (no pun intended) with the pilots :P

Have fun!!

Yeah, it really is liberating - just going to where you're headed, noone else to worry about, free to take in the sites and enjoy the company of complete strangers! :laugh3: Actually, which is no big deal - since everyone's just rushing around like mad to get here or there in the airports, and you're assigned a seat. I unfortunately was assigned a seat next to a big fellow who took up two seats, so I wound up sitting next to someone else where there was a vacancy. Public works crew guy for DC making a deal on some plow trucks they bought after a snowstorm left the city paralyzed - & they feed their employs well! :laugh3::P Good fun, travel is an adventure.

Um, bring some thermal underwear, it's going to be cold there!:laugh3: You'll do fine Lore, just the running around connecting to flights in airports can be a bit of a leg race, and I'm sure if you've flown in and out of airports in Chile, you're probably accustomed to some of the most powerful turbulence in flight already, the air rising off the Alleghenies and Adirondacks will feel like gentle swells beneath the aircraft. Also, the smaller jets really have one helluva takeoff acceleration, if you haven't already experienced flying in one.

And ear muffs (fuzzy ones):earmuffs:, or a really cool hat:santa:, aaand warm socks:socks:, and gloves.

Also, last time I flew, the food was like something out of a vending machine, only they used a shrink ray on it first, and it came wrapped in shiny plastic foil. I don't know if you can carry on salted nuts or something to munch on anymore, as long as it complies with the new strict guidelines.. or just live with the airline food - hey, I know, go luxury class in a Jumbo Jet, then you'll be set!:wink:

I've never been in a local flight :blank: I don't travel too much to be honest. Thanks for the advice, I'll bring all my warm clothes :D :P

I'm speaking on behalf of all the things I've read and saw on TV XD

Always, always know where you are :laugh3: have fun and enjoy the trip cause it's not about the destination but how you get there! Take pictures, keep in contact with your family and destination friends, and this is because I'm an airplane nut, ask to sit in the cockpit (no pun intended) with the pilots :P

Have fun!!

that sounds good, except the pilots part, I'm too shy to ask for it :P

Bring a rape whistle.

:uhoh:

There's something quite liberating about travelling alone.

I've heard that before, I hope you're right!

There's something quite liberating about travelling alone.
YES INDEED.

Lore, I've traveled to England a few times by myself, although I met up with some people when I was there. I'll go into some more detail about the experience as a whole a little later when I have time.

One time I was "homeless" for the night and I had to improvise... it's fun to pretend like you know what you're doing. :charming:

Remember it's like going up in an elevator in a tall building, then down, even though the cabins are pressurized, or maybe because they are - your hearing gets dull from the changes in pressure, then your ears "pop" - it's the eustachian tube connected to your middle ear, equalizing the pressure, so then your hearing is normal again at altitude.

Turbulence, now that's something else! The aircraft may be pushed up, then down, then up in air columns above mountains - it's no big deal, but it feels weird! :laugh3: Like a fast elevator suddenly stopping or starting, you get that light-in-your loafers feel, then squashed a bit in the seat, and it goes on for a while, but hey, mild compared to riding on bumpy Chilean roads?:P?

Relax and have fun - air travel is safer that all other forms of travel, and the views are almost as good as mountain climbing, aand hopefully you'll be higher than the Andes! ;)

I've done it once, last January. It may sound scary when you realize that you and only you is the one who is in charge of getting all the paperwork done and of getting everything ready -from the airport stuff to ordering something to eat- cause you have no one to do things for you but it is quite liberating and you feel really accomplished when you finally do it.

One of the good things is that you decide what you do and when to do it and if you want to spend some extra time at a place you like, being a museum or a city, you just do it, it's easier to change plans when you are alone.

One thing you have to make sure is to travel light cause you will be carrying your things along with no help-well you might get help from kind people you meet but one can never take that for granted-

I hope it helps :nice: don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Coming from the kid who studies airplanes and LOVES them :awesome: they're really really amazing to be in. And don't be chicken, ask to go into the cockpit because once you see that your lives are in the hands of 3 highly trained professionals, you'll atleast get a sekce of comfort. Plus it's fun to look out the windows and look at the little gauges, levers, and buttons :P

You can never be too careful.

yeah that's true, I guess it's important to try to act like a local. Here you can spot an american or european tourist very easily :P

YES INDEED.

Lore, I've traveled to England a few times by myself, although I met up with some people when I was there. I'll go into some more detail about the experience as a whole a little later when I have time.

One time I was "homeless" for the night and I had to improvise... it's fun to pretend like you know what you're doing. :charming:

Looking forward to read that

Remember it's like going up in an elevator in a tall building, then down, even though the cabins are pressurized, or maybe because they are - your hearing gets dull from the changes in pressure, then your ears "pop" - it's the eustachian tube connected to your middle ear, equalizing the pressure, so then your hearing is normal again at altitude.

Turbulence, now that's something else! The aircraft may be pushed up, then down, then up in air columns above mountains - it's no big deal, but it feels weird! :laugh3: Like a fast elevator suddenly stopping or starting, you get that light-in-your loafers feel, then squashed a bit in the seat, and it goes on for a while, but hey, mild compared to riding on bumpy Chilean roads?:P?

Relax and have fun - air travel is safer that all other forms of travel, and the views are almost as good as mountain climbing, aand hopefully you'll be higher than the Andes! ;)

Higher than the Andes? When I went to Argentina I saw the Andes from above, it was amazing :dead:

And chilean roads are not really bumpy, at least not the ones I know :P

Thanks for all the advice :hug:

yeah that's true, I guess it's important to try to act like a local. Here you can spot an american or european tourist very easily :P

Looking forward to read that

Higher than the Andes? When I went to Argentina I saw the Andes from above, it was amazing :dead:

And chilean roads are not really bumpy, at least not the ones I know :P

Thanks for all the advice :hug:

Awww, thanks Lore. Sounds like you've already been way high in altitude, maybe so far above the Andes there was no turbulence? Just trying to be punny - I had no clue how your roads are there, just took a guess!:laugh3: And now I know the rest of the story. Probably all really fine roads, expertly paved by the Incas? Well, like anywhere I am sure, modern ones, then ancient ones. Here they chose to use logs under some instead of nicely fit pavers, so riding on them is akin to one endless speedbump! Fortunately, only one or two of those remain, in the hinterlands. New York may have some quite old brick roads too in places. I'd set ya up with the Vanderbilts, Florence knows Gloria, want the number?:P

So there you go - just dress like an American tourist! Well, one that's dressed for heading back to New Yaak, that is. :cool:

I've done it once, last January. It may sound scary when you realize that you and only you is the one who is in charge of getting all the paperwork done and of getting everything ready -from the airport stuff to ordering something to eat- cause you have no one to do things for you but it is quite liberating and you feel really accomplished when you finally do it.

One of the good things is that you decide what you do and when to do it and if you want to spend some extra time at a place you like, being a museum or a city, you just do it, it's easier to change plans when you are alone.

One thing you have to make sure is to travel light cause you will be carrying your things along with no help-well you might get help from kind people you meet but one can never take that for granted-

I hope it helps :nice: don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Where did you go?

So... travel light! *writes it down*

Coming from the kid who studies airplanes and LOVES them :awesome: they're really really amazing to be in. And don't be chicken, ask to go into the cockpit because once you see that your lives are in the hands of 3 highly trained professionals, you'll atleast get a sekce of comfort. Plus it's fun to look out the windows and look at the little gauges, levers, and buttons :P

A few years ago I found a site for people afraid of flights, it was silly but convincing and it mentioned that thing about the highly trained pilots

I wish you would come to San Francisco and I could show you around.

I've seen so many awesome pics of San Francisco! I wish I could go!

Awww, thanks Lore. Sounds like you've already been way high in altitude, maybe so far above the Andes there was no turbulence? Just trying to be punny - I had no clue how your roads are there, just took a guess!:laugh3: And now I know the rest of the story. Probably all really fine roads, expertly paved by the Incas? Well, like anywhere I am sure, modern ones, then ancient ones. Here they chose to use logs under some instead of nicely fit pavers, so riding on them is akin to one endless speedbump! Fortunately, only one or two of those remain, in the hinterlands. New York may have some quite old brick roads too in places. I'd set ya up with the Vanderbilts, Florence knows Gloria, want the number?:P

So there you go - just dress like an American tourist! Well, one that's dressed for heading back to New Yaak, that is. :cool:

We have new modern roads :P

How do the american tourists dress there? Here they always use boots (even in summer), big backpacks and big bottles of water and they're always using their big shiny cameras! (yeah everything is big xD )

^^ You forget the hats and photographer-like vests some tourist like to wear! :lol:

Where did you go?

So... travel light! *writes it down*

London :)

It's also important to study the maps of the places you will go it makes you feel safer if you know where you are and where other places are, and you don't look like a lost tourist staring at a map :P

It was great! :awesome:

Google maps are really useful, the street map with the "street view" option is kinda stalkerish but it helps to see how certain places look like. You don't want to end up in a desolated or dangerous place, especially alone.

:laugh3: Well, they think they're headed to, oh, I suppose, the Chilean Andes and machu picchu, into the jungle or down some ancient Andean footpath where they can get a cup of some ancient herbal drink.. Then to where some colorfully dressed people are enjoying selling locally grown potatoes in the marketplace. Basically, if they see it on TV, than that's how they dress! Which I'm sure you're aware is absurd, but that's us.

And no doubt you can find that in Chile if one heads way way back into the hinterlands, but obviously you have some very fine cities, with the older antique parts and the newer parts like pretty much anywhere, but with a Latin flair.

But American tourists in NY, hm, how do they dress.... I would imagine, if they're coming from the Midwest, probably trying to look stylish enough to fit in - all depends.

NY styles in winter - wear something normal, New Yorkers look like ordinarily dressed people in winter, but I'm sure tourists visiting try and dress up for NYC, well, because they're tourists!:laugh3: The irony is that the tourists probably buy the best fashions to wear in winter and then tour the city, which of course natives don't do except on special occasions. But at least NY fashions make their way to NY via tourists!

Colorful coats, modern stuff, dark pants, sneakers or boots (for slushy dirty NY snow), a good warm hat - like at Rockefeller Center in winter? (JPEG Image, 660x456 pixels)

But however you dress, it's NYC, so hey, you'll probably see anything and everything there.

Travelling alone is great. I have done it several time. Went to New York by myself, to Copenhagen, Berlin, Paris, Poland. Especially New York was nice because they are so helpful there and so friendly. You also meet new people easier when you go alone.