✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Just What Does "Mylo Xyloto" Mean?

Wickett

That was me Juanma - i just posted that on billboard.com - I can't take full credit for finding the artist mylo - someone else on these forum found out about it, and i took a look at the site, and totally fit with the theme of their songs and it is absolutely brilliant.

Graffiti was and is still a form of alternative media, communication to the public that is almost subliminal at times but trying to get out the truth, unlike our mainstream media sometimes. Xylo is a community of graffiti artists i think actually, although mylo has something called xylo in his/her artwork - and someone else mentioned xylo may be a root word for wood, and perhaps the precursor for wood art that then evolved to graffiti art.

here's a link to one of the images - http://www.xylo.me/2.html

http://www.xylo.me/ (the main page)

It's an absolutely brilliant title, in that it will get a mass of people to look this artist up, and see the images, and thus get the message out to even more people. Coldplay are such an earnest, and humble band, using their popularity and fame to get out real messages to the world even if they were not the original creators - artists supporting other artists - if you read the billboard interview - he mentions how the artistic community need to stick together and work as a team to bring messages to society. They have really upped the game.

bravo Coldplay.

Should've called it "Banksy: The Musical".

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the one hand I'm still disappointed that it doesn't mean anything... It seems kinda lazy. And with all the confidence they have these days, why couldn't they have named it something 'real'?

On the other hand, the idea behind it is pretty awesome. It's not that it doesn't mean anything, it's that it could mean everything. The album will be it's own thing. Everyone can decide for themselves what the title means, when they have figured out what the album means to them. It's artistic freedom in it's purest sense, basically. They have the freedom to spread freedom.

So yeah. That hit me just now.

:escaping:

Sorry Coldplay, but Sigur Ros one-upped you. They sang an entire ALBUM in gibberish.

On top of that, the album came with a blank booklet where you could write your own interpretation of the "lyrics."

And so far, that album is better than Mylo Xyloto. :nod:

i agree, Mylo Xyloto could in fact relate directly to the artist and the artists message though like it's been said, they're just keeping it a secret possibly to make the message more subtle. They could also be denying the relation as an 'example' of how easy or simple it is to lie or keep things a secret just like the artists' message of how we should wake up to the reality and basically stop believing everything that the media says

and yes, i realise this may seem a bit far fetched........

i agree, Mylo Xyloto could in fact relate directly to the artist and the artists message though like it's been said, they're just keeping it a secret possibly to make the message more subtle. They could also be denying the relation as an 'example' of how easy or simple it is to lie or keep things a secret just like the artists' message of how we should wake up to the reality and basically stop believing everything that the media says

Thanks. That's actually what I meant to say.

^I wonder if they thought that deeply about it. I love it!

haha, well CP songs always have very deep and meaningful lyrics.

I just don't see why they would choose a meaningless title.......and yes, i know the reasons that they've already stated though.......idk. If there wasn't such a big similarity between the artists message and the new CP songs then i wouldn't be doubting their explanation for the title

call me crazy but i definitely think there's some connection between the artist. here's an article talking about the bands new 'uniform'.

Coldplay have a "band uniform" for promoting their new album Mylo Xyloto, frontman Chris Martin has confirmed.

The musicians have been wearing clothes to fit the theme of the record, which was inspired by a young German anti-Nazi group operating during the second world war called the White Rose Movement, he told Redbulletin magazine.

"It's about being free to be yourself and to express yourself among negative surroundings," Martin said.

Other influences for the album include 70s graffiti in New York, the singer added, which could be a theme those with Coldplay tickets see traces of during the band's forthcoming tour.

Furthermore, the musician revealed he enjoys "getting dressed for work" in the new look, which consists of shirts, jackets and ties in dark colours with the album's artwork printed on them.

------------------------

This is also another interview from 2010

Chris Martin admits he’s been 'playing it a bit safe' for a large part of his life.

The Coldplay singer said the lyrics on the band’s next album are inspired by New York graffiti and the White Rose Movement – a group of German children in World War II who printed anti-Nazi flyers – and he admires people who speak out and express themselves in negative environments – admitting he’s not always done that himself.

He told Q Magazine: "I admire it. I’ve spent a lot of my life playing it a bit safe or conforming to something, even though I didn’t agree with it. So I have respect and admiration for people who don’t. The ideas come from graffiti art of the 70s in New York, where people were expressing themselves with paint. Then there was the White Rose Movement. Anybody who’s standing up for themselves. “It’s about being free to be yourself and to express yourself among negative surroundings. Being able to speak out or follow your passion, even if everybody seems against it."

The ‘Viva La Vida’ hitmakers are presently in the studio in London, recording their fifth album, and although they are still considering what the title will be, Chris gave a hit away. He added: "I don’t want to say about the title. It will probably begin with an ‘M’. Two words."

"It's nice to put on something that makes me feel like I'm singing," he told the magazine.

The Coldplay tour of the UK begins in Glasgow's SECC on December 3rd and will also stop in Manchester and London.

The message of the "White Rose Movement" was about being able to freely express yourself even though the majority may not agree with your opinions which is kind of like what the artist Mylo is doing.

so, from the nytimes interview, finally we have the real meaning:

“Music comes from a place we don’t know,” he said. “It sort of comes through the fingers and toes. So we came up with the idea of, what if you had musical digits, like xylo toes.” He shook his head, irritated that he gave up the secret so easily.

And what about “Mylo”?

“It’s just a great name,” he said. “For anything.”

ok we should close this thread now cause chris already said what it means, he said its a made up word, so it doesn't mean anything

If anybody had listened to you we wouldn't have had an open thread to post this today, thank god we ignored you :wink: :P

so, from the nytimes interview, finally we have the real meaning:

“Music comes from a place we don’t know,” he said. “It sort of comes through the fingers and toes. So we came up with the idea of, what if you had musical digits, like xylo toes.” He shook his head, irritated that he gave up the secret so easily.

And what about “Mylo”?

“It’s just a great name,” he said. “For anything.”

A new article on NME just posted: the first lines read:

Coldplay have said that their new album 'Mylo Xyloto' is a concept album about two characters 'Mylo' and 'Xyloto' who meet and fall in love.

Speaking to The Sun, drummer Will Champion revealed that the album follows the story of two characters and the struggle they go through to find love.

He said of the concept and characters: "They fall in love and try to escape together, the songs following what happens. 'Charlie Brown' is about running away while 'Paradise' is about feeling lost. The ending is very powerful and about love conquering all."

Well i gues the Dutch magazine was right :)

• 1 year later...