✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Just What Does "Mylo Xyloto" Mean?

Wickett

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The names...

I think the album focuses on a person called Mylo Xyloto and how he fall in love :awesome:

I agree with this, but to elaborate:

I think that Mylo Xyloto is the main character in the story, Major Minus is the antagonist/government group, and the Car Kids are the revolutionaries, mentioned in Charlie Brown. It would make sense because the new era costumes have the 'CK' logo, and Major Minus has its own logo too so they are probably both big groups in the album's 'story'. Also, Chris mentioned once that Viva-Mylo Xyloto-LP6 was to be a sort of loos trilogy like the first three albums were their own cycle, hence the similar themed artwork. And the theme of revolution would be carried over from Viva too.

Capitol Records told Chris Martin he could only use the letters MYLOXT to name the album

What does Mylo Xyloto, the title of Coldplay’s upcoming album due Oct. 25, even mean? Google Translate thinks it’s English, which is clearly untrue. The band hasn’t said anything on the matter yet to our knowledge. You’d think what the phrase means would be the first thing Coldplay would explain during their album promo cycle, especially if it’s supposed to mean something Coldplay would think up, but you’d be wrong.

Seriously. Who do we have to bang to get some insight as to the meaning of this Coldplay album? Or as to why it’s pronounced “mylo xy-letoe“? I mean, really. Since the band’s not talking, we’ll just have to rampantly speculate as to the meaning. First, let’s examine the title piece-by-piece for some theories:

MYLO:

- A Scottish producer and dance musician who’s done remixes for Kylie Minogue, Amy Winehouse and others.

- Some kind of gadget by Sony that’s been pre-empted 20,000 times over by every smartphone ever and also kind of looks like an N-Gage.

- Urban Dictionary claims the term is short for “my love.” But it also claims it’s short for something much dirtier and more painful, so you might want to think a bit about your relationship before using it as a pet name.

- A “country humorist who performs parodies of popular songs set to a rural German-Russian theme.”

- A website for foodies w/rules.”

- A term for a particular situation in the party game Mafia, which you’d probably only encounter if you play Mafia outside parties.

XYLOTO:

- Absolutely nothing we could find. Xylophone? Xylem? Damn it. We need a different strategy.

MYLO XYLOTO TAKEN TOGETHER:

- Capitol Records told Chris Martin he could only use the letters MYLOXT to name the album, and he thought My Lot or My Toll sounded too ponderous for an album that already contained the titles “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall,” “Charlie Brown” and “Major Minus.”

- It’s a cryptogram. For what, we’re not good enough at cryptograms to know from such few letters.

- Brian Eno was involved in the album. Maybe it was his idea. It seems like it might be. (Seriously, go YouTube his old stuff if you’re not familiar.)

- The arrangement on the album art suggests it’s actually MYL OXYL OTO, which–no. We’re done here.

Source: http://popdust.com/2011/08/12/what-does-coldplays-mylo-xyloto-even-mean/

• 2 weeks later...
Viva-Mylo Xyloto-LP6 was to be a sort of loos trilogy[/color] like the first three albums were their own cycle, hence the similar themed artwork. And the theme of revolution would be carried over from Viva too.

Really? Love that!!! Viva was such a big change and I love the themes they explored, going a little bit further with some ideas of it would be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this might be nuts, but what if Mylo Xyloto is the alien who comes down and helps the two people in love? There is a great deal about U.F.O in the track list and maybe that would explain the funny name...Mylo Xyloto does not make sense because it´s an alien name :)

Yesterday in an interview in the french TV show Chris explained that Mylo Xyloto was just an imaginary language, with two words: Mylo and Xyloto. It's about creating a now word, from nothing, kind of like Google. :) How I know it? Well I was there :awesome:

Yesterday in an interview in the french TV show Chris explained that Mylo Xyloto was just an imaginary language, with two words: Mylo and Xyloto. It's about creating a now word, from nothing, kind of like Google. :)

But the Oracle did say that the title was not randomly made up without meaning...so it must mean something :)

Ok this might be nuts, but what if Mylo Xyloto is the alien who comes down and helps the two people in love? There is a great deal about U.F.O in the track list and maybe that would explain the funny name...Mylo Xyloto does not make sense because it´s an alien name :)

I LOVE this theory. We can't possibly know, but I hope you're right!

The Oracle has denied almost all possibilities,and that's part of her job. She can only tell us so much, so no offense to her, but we have to take her answers about MX with a grain of salt. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just to add what i've heard of it so far, the album is fantastic. In an Interview i saw, Chris said that "Mylo Xylo means whatever you want it to mean". So hey, who cares really, just enjoy the music :) In my opinon, Mylo Xylo means, best album ever! haha

here is the interview anyway if you want to watch it yourself, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmVYdKR4N8I

Part of me is kinda glad I get to keep my alien theory but part of me is disappointed that an official theory has not been developed, but that Mylo Xyloto is indeed a meaningless word or an any-meaning-you-like word. I can only say the Oracle should not have tricked us :angry: